Aug

Open Thread: Link dump edition

Ah west coast baseball. Nothing quite like staying up past your bedtime to watch the Yanks. Here’s some stray links to help you pass the time…

• Finally, a Michael Kay drinking game. We need to come up with one for Sterling now.
  • After inking a deal with Cablevision to broadcast Yankee games online a few months ago, the service is now expanding to include Verizon FiOS subscribers. Time Warner can’t be far behind, right? Eh, doesn’t matter, their sevice sucks anyway.
  • What side of The Damon Debate are you on? I’d be cool with a one year deal plus an option, but only at a reduced cost. Like, $5M per plus incentives.
  • Baseball America polled scouts, managers, etc., and named Austin Jackson the Best Batting Prospect in the Triple-A International Leage (subs. req’d). Zach McAllister has the Best Control and Reegie Corona is the Best Defensive Second Baseman in the Double-A Eastern League.
  • Jayson Stark has a great piece on the Stephen Strasburg situation, which I suggest you check out. The signing deadline is next Monday at midnight, and I’m still in the camp that thinks he’s going to sign. It’s almost impossible for his stock to be any higher, and if he has to “settle” for $15-18M, he’d still crush the previous draft record and be set for life. How can you turn that down as a 21-yr old?
  • While on the subject of the draft, Bradley Suttle‘s $1.3M bonus in 2007 is no longer a fourth round record. The Royals broke it today when they signed ex-Yank draftee Chris Dwyer for $1.5M. Suttle, meanwhile, is out for the year with a shoulder issue.
  • Olympic baseball is no more. At least until 2020. I might as well point you towards this post from my 2008 Olympics coverage since we just talked about Strasburg.
  • Bryce Harper: good at baseball.
  • Former Yankee Andy Cannizaro was traded to the White Sox. Andy hit .250-.333-.625 in nine plate appearances with the Bombers back in 2006.
  • Joe would kill me if I didn’t mention this: Les Paul, the man who invented the electric guitar and is responsible for rock music as we know it, passed away today. At 94-yrs old, the dude was still playing shows in the city this year. A true legend.

Anyway, use this as your open thread for the night. We’ve got a few hours to kill before the Yanks-Fightin’ Ichiros game starts, so talk about whatever you like here. Just be cool.

Late add by Joe: Over the past few weeks I’ve been noticing a trend in the comments that get sent to the spam filter. Not only do most baseball-reference links go there, but if you use the word badass, without a space, your comment will not show up. Why that is, I have no idea. It’s just that ever “please moderate comment” email I get seems to have that word in it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. I am so not passing grad school

2. Pasqua says:

The Sterling Drinking Game would be too easy. If you just drink on the repetition of the word “amazing” you’ll be hammered by the 3rd inning.

3. pat says:

Dunno if this was linked here somewhere else but Bronson Arroyo has a rather cavalier attitude about steroids, and I dig it. It’s a pretty good read, he also has a pretty sweet compliment for Big George

• pat says:

Son of a gun..those block quotes always confound me.
      Heres what he said about Stein…

“If Mark McGwire is hitting 60 homers, the only thing that matters is his performance,” Arroyo said, according to USA Today. “People don’t own teams to lose money. If you ask any owner whether they would rather make $20 million and come in last place or lose $20 million and win a World Series, there’s only one guy who honestly would take that championship: George Steinbrenner. Nobody else.”

• The quote where he says everybody drinks and drives made me ill.

• Zack says:

Thats why they play sports, and arent lawyers, CEOs, etc.

• pete says:

agreed. drinking and driving is much, much, much worse than taking steroids because you put other people at risk and the risk you put yourself in (which affects everybody around you) is far more severe. By the time Bronson Arroyo is 50, with the money he’s made, kidney failure will be like the flu.
        Still, props to arroyo for having the balls to call out the people who stand on their high horses about “the sanctity of the game” from the safety of the fact that nobody gives a fuck about the shit they themselves do.

• E-ROC says:

Yeah, in sports, taking amphetamines might be bubble gum compared steroids, but on the surface, death is a little more imminent than steroids. Ephedra was a known killer. Just ask the athletes who’ve died at early age.

Arroyo’s opinion of Big Stein is awesome.

4. The Artist says:

So disappointed I didn’t make the link cut. I compiled all the Yankee Walk offs this morning, and what on Earth could possibly be better than that?

5. jon says:

Robinson Cano is 18 of his last 39 (.462) with eight extra-base hits and four RBI. He has eight multi-hit games in his last nine games.

6. baravelli says:

Just thought I’d chime in about the Michael Kay drinking game. I never quite understood the vitriol he seems to sometime elicit here. Now, my slant is that I became a hard core fan listening to Sterling and Kay on the radio in the mid-90′s, when they were my sole conduit to the team, and I came to really love them. But, speaking as objectively as I can, I think they were a quality broadcast team, and that both has suffered from the others’ absence since – especially Sterling, who really needs someone acerbic and details-oriented to ground him (Waldman’s incessant stroking his ego has really deteriorated his skills, I think). Anyway, as for Kay, I understand that he strikes an abrasive tone sometimes, and that sometimes he pays what sounds like grudging lip service to more modern enlightened baseball strategy and statistical ideas, but all in all, really, I think he does a good job. Certainly, I don’t think there’s anyone better at exploiting the personal experience and expertise of his booth-mates.
    Sorry to soap-box here, but my take-away point is this: it seems to me that the large majority of the items in the drinking game are *utterly unremarkable * things to say, even to say regularly. Every broadcaster has a cadence and a pattern and a few catchphrases – I don’t understand the instinct to pat ourselves on the back and feel ornery just because we can identify some of them.

• The Artist says:

I like Kay’s radio show. He unfailingly has the scoop on any big Yankee issue, wheras Francesa is often clueless. Not only is Mike Francesa clueless, but often hostile to anyone who presents the Yankee take.

You also can’t take everything on radio at face value. It’s talk radio, so he’s going to come out with an strong opinion and debate it, but that doesn’t mean he believes it 100% or thinks there’s no other way to look at it. It’s just a show, and that’s what works on radio.

• baravelli says:

Yeah, I agree about his radio show. He’s certainly cultivated a persona for it which makes him sound argumentative and brash, but I don’t think he ever winds up saying anything really unreasonable. And even when he takes a strong stance, he usually allows for other points of view to some degree. I’m also impressed at the difference he maintains between his ESPN and his YES personalities. You have to appreciate the sheer number of hours in the day that he spends performing to a mass audience, and the fact that he remains professional and pretty well-prepared and competent throughout.

• Moshe Mandel says:

I do not hate him, but I think he talks too much. He rarely lets the moment speak for itself, and always feels a need to segue into broader baseball issues rather than the game (ie steroids). I actually think Sterling and Kay should be flipped. Kay’s overtalking plays better on the radio, and Sterling’s poor descriptions would be softened by the fact that you can see the play.

• jim p says:

It’s as if he wants to talk about anything, anything, but the actual batter and pitcher and fielders actually playing the actual game.

I’ve heard the 1+ innings going on about food, stadiums that no longer exist, contrived issues, the “wow I’m in the booth with my heroes” banter, while nothing of the game is told. Meanwhile, it’s a 3-2 game with 2 runners on and 1 out with a new pitcher in the game. Nothing about it. Maybe a line for the inning: “Cano pops up.”

Maybe I wouldn’t mind if I sat on the couch watching every moment of the game, but I have other things I need to get done after coming home from work. I don’t like feeling that the game itself is so boring that nobody in the booth needs to talk about it for awhile.

• Kiersten says:

It’s television, which uses these crazy things called video cameras so you can actually see what’s happening. They’re supposed to talk about things besides the game because they don’t need to call every single pitch. If you’re running around your house doing other things, turn on the radio, which does call every pitch since the listener can’t actually see what’s going on.

Every TV broadcaster is like this, it’s not unique to Kay.

• jim p says:

I know it’s the style now, but it wasn’t always. When I say more than an inning without commentary on the actual game, that’s not hyperbole. C’mon, how MK feels about food?

Who said every single pitch? Nothing about the new pitcher, how the 5 or 6 batters in a row have fared against him, nothing related at all, not even the outcome of the previous play or the names of any of the batters?!? I’m talking about long stretches where the game goes unremarked.

And the radio crew is simply intolerable. Plus Sterling makes up stuff it seems. I tried that for a few games, and it was just too painful.

Maybe it’s the custom now, but hey!, I’m paying $50 month for the cable because the game at hand actually interests me. If it bores the announcers, they should find something interesting to do.

• Kiersten says:

I don’t know, I don’t really notice the YES guys doing that too much. I think they’re pretty good at the play-by-play. The ESPN crew is another story…

And I’ve only been watching baseball for about 11 years, so I guess I’m just used to it. I do notice when I watch old classics though that the broadcasters talk much less. Eh, guess it just depends on what you’re used to.

• jim p says:

and also, Jim Kaat was not like this. When he had the booth, he always, always brought the banter back to the action on the field. I think he and Singleton were masterful. They got in all the color and side fun, but kept the game in the foreground. If you pay attention when Kay is not in the booth, Singleton still does that.

The other people you are talking about as “every” are like Tim McCarver and Joe Morgan and that crew. Boring and dumb commentary.

So, just because so many do a lousy job, doesn’t mean lousy jobs are good.

7. Drew says:

Kind of sucks we have no shot at young American talent like Bryce Harper.

• Salty Buggah says:

Isn’t free agency beautiful?

I’d take the playoffs and a possibility of a WS over young talent (yes, I understand that you need youth for winning the WS but just pretend as if you could win without it) anyday if I could

8. Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

The John Sterling drinking game (with permission from Scott Proctor’s Arm)

9. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I have a feeling it will be a big weekend for the Yankees. I predict that the Yankees sign Heathcott, Murphy and …….wait for it………Sano, all by Monday.

10. Salty Buggah says:

@RPimpsner: Neil Medchill just tied the SI Yankee record for HR in a single season.

11. Dela G says:

twitter says mike vick going to eagles

12. A.D. says:

Getting down to the wire for Murphy, Heathcott, Lyons, and Cotham

13. AndrewYF says:

Zach McAllister is a badass.

14. Mike Axisa says:

Adrian Beltre has a torn testicle.

15. Holy fuck I am glad I’m not Adrian Beltre

OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

• The Artist says:

“Beltre suffered the injury in the ninth inning when a ground ball off the bat of Chicago White Sox shortstop Alexei Ramirez hit Beltre in the groin. Beltre does not wear a protective cup.”

Well of course that’s how it happened. Do you think the Associated Press wants to run with a story about him with 3 hookers and a sybian machine in a Vegas brothel?

• Kiersten says:

Even as a girl, this sounds extremely painful.

16. Nick says:

Does Dan Bard remind anyone else of Kyle Farnsworth? Watching him in the RS series, that’s all I could think of. Throws straight gas, mediocre control and slider, looks great one moment, hammered the next. If he’s the RS closer of the future, I’m stoked!

17. christo86 says:

Am I the only one commenting on Damon? His swing is perfect for the new Yankee Stadium and has been giving us good production at the plate all year. His defense is good enough for any one of the corners. I would outbid any offer out there for him. Brings a good energy to the clubhouse. Who else is coming off the books next season that could replace him that will be in the free agent pool?

18. YankeeScribe says:

Who is the next current or former Bosox player to get caught or admit to PED use?

So far we’ve had Arroyo, Ortiz, and Ramirez. I got my money on either Nomar or Varitek being next

19. Jamie says:

Vick to the eagles fack

20. Jeffrey says:

Does anyone else think Damon fits this new ballpark perfectly. He has utilized it to hit more home runs and raise his slugging % by close to 30 points and over .500 for the first time in his career. This alone is a pretty good reason to resign him.

21. JGS says:

I just turned on Yankees Classics of Gooden’s no-hitter and watched Sterling completely misread a routine fly ball to left center. Maybe it’s because I was just 9 at the time, but I always thought his idiocy was a more recent side effect of senility and partnering with Suzyn Waldman. apparently I was wrong and he has always been retarded.

22. Note to self: Same properties apply when choosing bat as in choosing sword.

You need something with the right balance that is not too long.

23. jim p says:

Sterling Drinking Game: Hear his voice, chug-a-lug a fifth.

24. The Artist says:

I guess everyone seen these Subway commercials with Johan and CC

Just one question.

When they say “Beating you-know-who big!” who are they referring to? Themselves?

25. [...] Rodriguez: all 0 for 3 – Corona committed a throwing error on the same day he was named the Best Defensive Second Baseman in the Eastern League Austin Jackson: 1 for 2, 1 BB Shelley Duncan, Cody Ransom & Yurendell [...]