Aug

Ten games is just too many

Sorry folks, but there was just too many doubleheaders tonight, so I’m going to take a easy way out and bullet point this one. Just so you know, both High-A Tampa and the Rookie GCL Yanks have clinched playoff spots.

• Triple-A Scranton (Game 1): Everyone in the starting lineup had at least one hit, except for John Rodriguez. Josh Towers threw six scoreless and Mark Melancon backed him up with two scoreless frames of his own. Jon Albaladejo was perfect in the ninth for his 11th save.
  • Triple-A Scranton (Game 2): Postponed due to rain. They’re going to play two tomorrow.
  • Double-A Trenton (Game 1): Eduardo Nunez reached base three times, Justin Snyder drove in three, and Edwar Gonzalez ended the game with a walk-off bases loaded walk. Jeremy Bleich struck out five and allowed three runs in five frames of work. As Mike Ashmore points out, it was their THIRTEENTH walk-off win of the season. And here I am thinking the Yanks were kings of the walk-off.
  • Double-A Trenton (Game 2): Has been in a rain delay for over an hour now. Zach McAllister allowed just two hits in four-plus innings before the rains came.
  • High-A Tampa: Damon Sublett tripled, but otherwise the offense was pretty much a no-show. That’s especially bad news when Jairo Heredia allowed seven runs in just two innings of work, like he did tonight. Position players Kevin Smith & Luis Nunez chipped in two and two-thirds hitless innings to polish this one off. It’s always fun when position players have to pitch.
  • Low-A Charleston (Game 1): Abe Almonte & Garrison Lassiter each racked up a hit, and Andrew Brackman picked up just his second win of the season thanks to two scoreless, walkless, and wild pitchless innings.
  • Low-A Charleston (Game 2): Multiple hits for Abe Almonte, Corban Joseph, Taylor Grote, Addison Maruszak, Garrison Lassiter, and Mitch Abeita. Cory Arbiso got shelled for eight runs in four innings, but various relievers bailed him out with seven innings of ridiculously good reliever (2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K).
  • Short Season Staten Island (Game 1): Zoilo Almonte picked up three hits, DeAngelo Mack ripped two doubles, and Luke Murton went deep. Carmen Angelini followed up his two jack game with an 0-fer. Sean Black struck out three in six innings of two hit, scoreless ball.
  • Short Season Staten Island (Game 2): Almonte tripled & homered while Mack picked up two more hits. Caleb Cotham made his SI debut by striking out four in three scoreless innings, and the Gavin Brooks led bullpen slammed door over the final four innings.
  • Rookie GCL Yanks: Kelvin DeLeon singled and JR Murphy doubled & drove in two, all while Mikey O’Brien struck out seven in six inings of work. Ryan Acosta made his org. debut with a scoreless inning after being picked up off the scrap heap. Their regular season ends on Monday.

We’re entering the home stretch, less than two weeks left in the minor league regular season…

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. dan says:

Mike Axisa = BUST

• V says:

He got lazy after signing that fat contract.

• Salty Buggah says:

Mike = The Cano of DotFing

• Salty Buggah says:

He couldn’t grit out a long DotF, even though he’s White. If he was a Red Sox blogger with a douchebeard, he would done everything the right way. But since he is a Yankee blogger, he doesn’t work hard and is a selfish, no-emotion, and head-hunting blogger that is a blogging cancer in the blogging world.

2. JMK says:

I’m sure it’s not going unnoticed that Brackman’s last two outings have been excellent. Maybe he’s turning the corner.

I sure hope so.

3. RalphieD says:

couple questions if anybody has the answers

1) which level with cotham start at next year?
    2) same for d’angelo mack

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I am teh expurtz at dis stuph, so I’m going to guess tampa for both of them.

(I dunno)

• Reggie C. says:

Mack is going to do his thing in Tampa. Same for Medchill. Advanced college hitters like these guys should be challenged right away.

Cotham… Charleston probably. He’s a signed DES so he only pitched 2 years in Vanderbilt and the last year he wasn’t 100% till the end. Cotham and Jairo Heredia should be a nice 1-2 in Charleston.

• AlexNYC says:

Isnt Heredia in Tampa??

• Reggie C. says:

Aw shit. I didnt realize Heredia was already pitching in Tampa. Dude’s missed the entire season and he’s squaring off against High-A hitters?? And he’s only 20… Aggressive.

I guess we can pencil Heredia for the 2010 tampa rotation.

4. chriskeo says:

so will albaladejo and melancon both be here on sept. 1?

5. Walllace says:

Nickname for Kelvin = The King De Leon

6. Reggie C. says:

Mike,
    Do you think Heathcott has Westmoreland potential? Gammons thinks the General can be the next Grady Sizemore.

p.s., Brackman needs to be a reliever. He’s ending the season with a nice run of scoreless 2 inning appearances. IF Bard was good enough to make the majors in quick fashion out the ‘pen , why not give our control case similar treatment??

7. gxpanos says:

A couple of observations:

1) I hate that we wont get a finished ZMac line, but what he did so far is impressive as always.

2) I love Cotham, already my favorite draft pick. Even more than JRM the doubles machine.

3) D’Angelo hits doubles a lot. I hope he doesnt fall back to earth too much once he faces comp. more his speed/age.

4) Mike certainly deserves one (or 15) days off from DotF (or half a day off–he DH’d tonight) a month, if only to make us realize/remember how much work it is. It was time consuming to run through all the boxscores, and it still wasnt nearly as fulfilling without the italicized stats and commentary. It’s easy to take DotF for granted, is all. I dont know one other blog that does anything CLOSE.

8. Salty Buggah says:

Disappointing day for Jairo, hope he bounces back next time. Like Brackman’s day, gives me hope. McAllister keeps performing. I’m loving what JR is doing and he kinda replaces (only kinda) Jesus to make DotF more exciting.

• chriskeo says:

Jesus is irreplaceable, much less by a guy from the Rookie GCL Yankees, but i guess you can pay attention to him

• Salty Buggah says:

I agree but I’m just saying that I look forward to seeing his stats everyday instead of having not as many stats to look forward to.

9. JGS says:

If this is judged to be off-topic, I apologize (it’s down on a farm)

I saw that the Sox optioned Tazawa all the way to the GCL Red Sox. What’s up with that?

10. Jeffrey says:

Sean Black looks really good with a 1.60 ERA in 45 innings. He had a nice scoreless outing today.

11. Accent Shallow says:

The thing that concerns me most about Brackman is how hittable he’s been. I can live with the wildness, but if guys are making decent contact . . . ugh.