Aug

Yanks block couple of Red Sox on waivers

Once the trade deadline passed, things were going to be tough on the Yankees. Atop the AL East and with a growing lead, they would have last dibs in the AL for any waiver claims. This meant that the second-place Red Sox have been in a position to block any potential Yankee moves all month. Since both teams have been looking for pitching, that would seem to put the Yankees at a disadvantage — and it has to an extent. Not that they were necessarily interested, but the Sox did claim Billy Wagner before the Yanks had a shot. Who knows how many other times that happened with different players.

Yesterday we learned of the Yankees pulling two moves that hurt the Sox, though not in any truly significant way. First we heard that the Yanks put in a claim on AAA 1B/OF Chris Carter, whom the Red Sox placed on waivers at some point this week. Carter, who is on the Sox 40-man roster, is believed to be New York-bound in the Wagner trade. The Yanks claim means that Carter will remain a player to be named later, and will most likely change teams after the season ends.

This isn’t just a move to stick it to the Sox. As Buster Olney notes, this could put some pressure on the Sox in terms of their 40-man roster. Moving Carter would free up a spot that then could be used to add Paul Byrd or return Daisuke Matsuzaka from the 60-day DL. Now they’ll have to make another move. Placing Carter on waivers again would mean the Red Sox cannot pull him back, so if anyone claims him he cannot be sent to the Mets for Wagner after the season (obviously).

Just before we learned of the Carter claim, we heard that the Yankees put in a claim on Brad Penny earlier this month, and that the Red Sox pulled him back. This blocked the Sox from trading Penny to another team, meaning they could not get a Justin Smoak-type prospect in return for the recently released righty. We also heard yesterday that the Yankees might have interest in Penny. Could he be any worse than Mitre and Gaudin? Wait. Don’t answer that.

While the Sox have the traditional advantage of a blocking position, the Yankees are making their own moves to make life hard on the Sox. I wonder whose moves have hurt more. The Sox could have blocked any number of pitchers the Yankees might have considered trading for — though the pitching-starved Sox have not traded for any save Wagner. The Yanks have forced the Sox to make a 40-man roster move, possibly two, rather than clearing one for free. They also blocked the Sox chances of getting anything, even a pittance, in return for Penny (though no return was guaranteed).

In any case, I love to see this kind of stuff. If you have the chance to make life a little tougher on your opponent, especially when he has the ability to make life hard for you, then go for it. There’s no reason to let the Sox skate by and make easy moves.

Categories : Front Office

1. Makavelli says:

You know this means they’re going to block literally ANY claim we put on anybody now. So we can wave goodbye to the Mike Cameron possibility, right?

2. This blocked the Sox from trading Penny to another team, meaning they could not get a Justin Smoak-type prospect in return for the recently released righty.

In fact, my sources tell me that the Sox put Penny on waivers in August specifically with the intent to trade him to the Rangers for none other than Justin Smoak himself. The deal was Penny for Smoak, Elvis Andruz, Neftali Feliz, pitching coach Mike Maddux, and Dallas Cowboys running back Felix Jones. The Yankees made the claim on Penny just to block the deal, yet another example of how they try to buy championships with the Steinbrenner’s bottomless walletand are all that is wrong with the game by beating up on helpless small market teams like the Red Sox.

My sources also tell me that the Yankees players all wear baggy pants and have dreadlocks.

For Diamond Cutters, I’m Peter Gammons, ESPN.

3. jsbrendog says:

just another reason why brian cashman is the man.

i love that guy.

4. Chris G says:

I don’t understand something. Why didn’t the Mets just claim Chris Carter.

5. Mac says:

Does Penny have any value out of the pen? Guy hits 95-96, yes its straight, but I’d like to see what he could do with two pitches, one inning at a time.

Would Penny even do something like that?

I also get it that Penny is likely a better option than Mitre and Gaudin, but Penny’s velocity intrigues me as a reliever, but so did Mark Wohlers’….

6. Mac says:

There a pitcher I think who cleared waivers, he’s tradionally a great second half guy, this year no exception:

Post All Star Break:

8 starts, 56.1IP 2.54 era, 1.15 WHIP .237 baa

In August:

5 starts 38IP 1.89/.97/.220

He’s an RAB favorite, should be real easy to guess who ;)

7. Makavelli says:

Do you think the odds are actually decent that the Yankees try to grab Cameron? With Posada out…we good use an upgrade over Melky

• Mac says:

He’s a good upgrade if he doesn’t come here and hit .152 and K 50% of the time in September.

Cammy’s had a good year overall and defensively he probably smokes Melk and Gardner as a CFer (or would allow for a great defensive of late in games).

Its worth a shot, I think he could kill the lineup even more than Melk or Gardner if he slumps badly like he can. In that case, hopefully Joey G. just benches him.

• He’s better than Melky, but probably not better than BG, who’s beeen out of his freaking mind on defense since he came up.

• Makavelli says:

Yeah but Gardner’s bat isn’t all that great…and then when you throw him in the playoffs against the best pitchers in the game…it probably won’t be fun to watch haha

• Mac says:

I don’t see the fuss on Gardy’s D, I know UZR’s are on his side, but he doesn’t impress me as a plus defensive player.

Last year I though Gardy was lacking in spots – don’t think his positioning or his routes to balls was good enough. He’s improved, but I’m not a fan and I really dislike his game – no power, K’s (although not as much as I thought he would) and really isn’t a good bunter.

As a late inning d guy and runner – cool.

Last, I don’t think CF defense under Melk has hurt the Yanks at all – even in his awful slump, Yanks have pretty much rolled.

October? All bets are off, you put the strongest 9 in the field you can and maybe that’s Cam or Gardy.

• I never forgot how small he came up for the Mets when they needed him to hit and once they were out of it, he started hitting like a monster.

I believe that’s actually in the official player handbook the MLBPA gives to players when they make it to the big leagues.

Section 127, Paragraph B, Subsection 1: You are required to dog it, play like crap, make tons of errors, and generally not give a rat’s ass while playing for the Mets. You may choose to resume playing effectively once you relocate to another team.

Section 127, Paragraph B, Subsection 1: The above union requirement applies only to the New York Mets, not the Binghamton, St. Lucie, Kingsport, GCL, or DSL Mets.

• Mac says:

It all makes sense now although I think their minor league affiliates are also following the major league clubs guidelines.

• I do. They were close to trading for him in the offseason and now they could have him for less when there’s more of a need for him.

8. [...] trade waivers in August, yet the Yankees went ahead and screwed with the Red Sox (and Mets) by claiming Chris Carter last year. That move forced the Sox to designate another player for assignment a week later, something they [...]