Sep

Burnett strong as Kennedy returns in series win

In a turn of events sure to confound those fans who are convinced that the Yankees can’t win a game in Angels Stadium, the Bombers’ C lineup and their C bullpen corps downed the Angels today 3-2. Robinson Cano, struggling all year with runners in scoring position, came through with a huge hit, and A.J. Burnett struck out 11 in 5.2 strong innings of work. Ian Kennedy gave us all a heart attack but held down the eighth in his return to the Majors. With their victory, the Yanks saw their Magic Number drop to 5 and their lead above the Red Sox increase to a temporary 6.5.

For the first few innings, the Scott Kazmir/A.J. Burnett pitching duel lived up to its billing. While the Angels left a man on base in every inning of the game, Burnett had the K pitch working this afternoon. He was sitting between 95 and 97 for most of the game and recorded 11 of his 17 outs by the strike out. With that stuff, the runners on base won’t score.

The Yankees broke through first, finally getting to Kazmir in fourth. While Jerry Hairston, Jr., struck out, Mark Teixeira doubled, and Hideki Matsui walked. Shelley Duncan lined a single just over Chone Figgins’ glove to left, and because Teixeira started back to second when it seemed as though Figgins would make the play, Juan Rivera gunned him down at the plate. With two outs, Robinson Cano and his struggles with runners in scoring position came to the plate, he lined a two-out, two-run single to left and advanced on the throw. Melky Cabrera would drive Cano in with a double, and those three runs would be all the Yanks would need.

In the bottom of the fifth, Burnett ran into a spot of trouble. Mike Napoli singled, and Chone Figgins doubled. With two on and no one out, Burnett bore down. He struck out Erick Aybar, and Robinson Cano ranged far to his left to snare a Bobby Abreu ground ball. A run would score, but Burnett pitched out of the inning.

In the sixth, the bullpen would take over. After Burnett allowed another run to score, Damaso Marte retired Figgins. An inning later, Jonathan Albaladejo would take over, but his stay was short-lived. After a double, Phil Coke came in and struck out Kendry Morales. Coke has lost seven pounds over the last two days with a bad stomach bug, but he got a huge out with the tying run in scoring position.

One of the stories of the game around in the 8th. With Al Aceves and Phil Hughes unavailable and Brian Bruney in the dog house, Ian Kennedy came in for his return to the Bigs after aneurysm surgery. He seemed nervous and struggled with his control, loading the bases on a hit by pitch and two walks. But he pitched around it. He got the first out when Juan Rivera lined to Ramiro Peña at third and struck out Maicer Izturis with two on. With the bases loaded, Erick Aybar flew out to Shelley Duncan. Threat over.

In the 9th, Rivera nailed down the game, and all was right with the Yanks. A.J. had another strong start, and Joe will look at his resurgence in the morning. The Yanks knocked another game off the Magic Number counter and have now won three of their last four against Anaheim. The Yanks are sitting pretty.

Hairston Injury Update
Jerry Hairston left the game in the 7th when he felt his wrist pop, and PeteAbe speculates that Hairston’s injury could be serious. Apparently, Hairston first injured his wrist while with the Reds and received an MRI and cortisone shot ten days ago. He will have another scan tomorrow. I wouldn’t expect much from him for the rest of the year, but then again, I wasn’t really expecting much from him anyway.

Feel free to make this an Open Thread. Talk about the game. Talk about Kennedy for the 8th. Talk about the long wait until the Friday night game against the Red Sox. Just play nice.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Zack says:

Remembe people flipping out saying that the Red Sox would be within 2 games prior to this series?

2. Dela G says:

I put this on the spillover, but why not continue it here

2009 memes

<strike
    yankees cannot beat anaheim in NY
    yankees cannot beat boston
    yankees cannot win in fenway
    yankees cannot beat roy halladay more than once in a season
    yankees cannot win in anaheim
    A-rod is on a "Steep Decline" and "Looks like a 3rd baseman"
    Yanks can’t beat rookie pitchers
    Yanks can’t win without the HR
    Yanks are too old and so can’t win

The last three are courtesy of Salty

• Dela G says:

I put this on the spillover, but why not continue it here

Fixed

2009 memes

yankees cannot beat anaheim in NY
      yankees cannot beat boston
      yankees cannot win in fenway
      yankees cannot beat roy halladay more than once in a season
      yankees cannot win in anaheim
      A-rod is on a “Steep Decline” and “Looks like a 3rd baseman”
      Yanks can’t beat rookie pitchers
      Yanks can’t win without the HR
      Yanks are too old and so can’t win

The last three are courtesy of Salty

• LivefromNewYork says:

Joe Girardi sucks and can’t manage a bullpen.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

CC Sabathia and Mark Texeira can’t handle the pressure of NY.

• steve (different one) says:

the Yankees can’t win in TEH BANDBOX!!

Cashman can’t build a bench
        Cashman was stupid for letting the Sox get Smoltz/not signing Juan Cruz/not trading for Washburn/Bannister…and my favorite, not signing Dallas MacPherson!!!

• Charlie says:

i guess you mean “looks like a 1st baseman”

• The Artist says:

Nice job Dela, I was thinking the exact same thing today.

IIRC, we took 2 of 3 from the Angels earlier this year, then won the makeup game recently, and now took 2 of 3 in Anaheim.

Total it up, and the Yankees have won 5 of 7 against the team they supposedly can’t beat. I can only hope we can’t beat the rest of the league to the same win pct.

3. Salty Buggah says:

“If I told you that the Yanks would win a game in Anaheim with Jerry Hairston, Jr., Shelley Duncan, Melky Cabrera, Brett Gardner and Jose Molina all in the same lineup, would you believe me? What if I told you that Damaso Marte, Jonathan Albaladejo, Phil Coke and Ian Kennedy would be called upon to get a combined seven outs in the middle of the affair? What if I added that the Yanks hadn’t won a series in Anaheim since May 2004?”

Yes, I would believe you. Then again, I’m a bit too optimistic at times.

4. RIYank says:

I almost never post here, but dang that game was satisfying. Soul satisfying. And with all the cool, satisfying things you mention, Ben, for me the greatest of all was, well, The Greatest of All, pitching the ninth inning.
    It just never gets old.

5. Esteban says:

Ok
    Ian Kennedy to the 8th. He’s has the right mentality to get it done in the 8th and is able to just air it out in short appearances. Yanks better not take out Ian Kennedy out of the 8th or they’ll be messing with his head

/something’d

6. Greg F. says:

Great to see Kennedy back in the majors. His command wasn’t great but he got squeezed on a pitch or two. He also averaged over 92 with his four seamer, which was surprising to see.

I hope he gets into some more game action before the season is out.

• Anth says:

Averaging 92 is very suprising. I thought the gun was just hot but checking out Brooks Baseball he averaged 92.01 and maxed out at 93.1. You could see if was a bit nervous, can’t blame him. It will be interesting to see what kind of role he plays next year.

7. yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

Earlier in the year that Sunday game was supposed to be a night game what the hell happen.

8. Evan says:

Sometimes, I hate my irrational side. I cringed and yelled much more than I should have during these past couple of series.

9. Kiko Jones says:

It was a stressful, yet satisfying series…and now the Sux come to town. Man, I know it’s been beaten to the ground but once it’s over this whole week will have definitely felt like the playoffs.

10. pollo says:

RAB ads always give me the biggest boners.

11. jim p says:

iirc, didn’t Seattle beat us overwhelmingly in Seattle for a few years running? Then, that just totally switched over for the next few.

12. danny says:

good for kennedy!

13. I must say it is nice to see IPK back in the show. I was watching the game on the Angels feed (live in Las Vegas) and when IPK had loaded the bases, They put the camera on Girardi & Pena talking and you could see him say he we are sticking with him. I know it was a rocky inning the was self induced by control problems, but he buckled down and got out of that jam. I looks like the yankees are really starting to get the young pitching in a groove. Congrads IPK

• Pasqua says:

I was happy to see IPK get a successful inning under his belt, too, but lets not use him as evidence of the young guys “getting in a groove.” It was one inning (in which he loaded the bases). I’ll just be glad he’s healthy and pitching for now.

14. BigBlueAL says:

Any news on Hairston’s injury????

15. The Artist says:

“Mike Axisa says:
    September 22nd, 2009 at 10:53 pm
    [Read Comment]

Oh yeah, A-Rod really needs another two days off, he only has two homers in his last four plate appearances…

/The Artist’d”

Today’s starting lineup

YANKEES (96-56)
    Jeter SS
    Hairston 3B
    Teixeira 1B
    Matsui DH
    Duncan RF
    Cano 2B
    Cabrera LF
    Gardner CF
    Molina C

(in my best Joker voice)
    Never rub another man’s rhubarb! Hahahhahahahahhah!!!!!

16. danny says:

“The Angels were left without the simple clutch single that would have handed them the game against a dawdling old Yankees squad feasting on a generous strike one for mid-career hack A.J. Burnett.”

LMAO dang, bitter much?

17. Greg G. says:

If the Sox lose one of the next two games, then the Yanks can clinch the division by taking two of three against Boston.

Sweet.

18. The only thing today that can top Ian Kennedy’s glorious Hold (1) this afternoon would be having my threeway with Esther Baxter and Melyssa Ford.

Oh, Moly Father, I don’t ask for much (yes, I do), but if you could see it in your heart to hook up that hot threeway action for me, I’ll be ever so grateful. I’ll even be nice to Melky Cabrera. Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub, Amen.

19. Aw, crap, Cole. Ross destroyed that.

20. pagliacci says:

magic # is 5 with only 9 to go! its in the bag!

21. mustang says:

Nice to see IPK do so well after the year he has had.
    If you think about where he has been to do what he did to today very impressive.

22. BigBlueAL says:

Tim Hudson’s stuff looks pretty good considering he had TJ surgery last year.

23. thurdonpaul says:

great Joe D pic, very classic, very nice

24. Bob Stone says:

I read an article from Fna.com yesterday quoting Cashman as saying the Yankees will go with a ten man pitching staff in the ALDS. I’d post the link but I don’t want to violate Guidelines. Is it ok to post the this type of link?

25. LivefromNewYork says:

Ian Kennedy had a BRAIN ANUERYSM. I repeat Ian Kennedy had a BRAIN ANEURYSM.

To come back from that is amazing. To pitch in an MLB game after that is double amazing. To pitch for the Yankees in Anaheim is triple amazing.

Thus there was a man on base for each of his amazings and then said, watch this bitches..more amazings.

I know he was a brash SOB at some point last year but I think a brain aneurysm might give you a different perspective on life and I gotta give the kid respect.

IPK FTW.

26. The Artist says:

Kay mentioned that Freddie Guzman might make the post season roster, as a 2nd pinch runner.

So does that mean Jerry Hairston would be out?

27. Salty Buggah says:

4 baserunners in 2 innings for Beckett against KC. No runs but thats not really good against the Royals.

28. Bob Stone says:

Over/Under on the Yanks winning 102 games?

29. Teix is the Man says:

It would be totally awesome, yet random if the Yankees went on their first road playoff game, went into the home team clubhouse dressed in tuxesos, and said, “we’re the Yankkes, and we’re here to fuck shit up!’

30. The Artist says:

Just to see what one would look like, I’ll make up a 25 man postseason roster. 10 pitchers, 15 position players.

Pitchers:

Melky
    Matsui
    Hairston
    Hinske
    Ramiro Pena
    Freddy Guzman

31. Logic Fail from The Sacramento Bee, sourced by ESPN’s NFL Rumor Central (emphasis mine):

ULTERIOR MOTIVE IN TAMPER CHARGE?

While the San Francisco 49ers, New York Jets and the bigwigs at the league office figure out whether or not Gang Green tampered with Michael Crabtree, NFL Insider Adam Schefter confirmed yesterday that Niners coach Mike Singletary is not ready to give up hope that Crabtree will suit up for the team.

So was there an ulterior motive in the Niners filing the charges? Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee thinks so. He notes that the Jets have now effectively been removed as a potential suitor if Crabtree sits out the season. If he did re-enter the draft and the Jets took him, it would essentially signal that they were guilty of tampering.

Umm… no, we haven’t and no it wouldn’t.

32. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Right now I’m having a blast reading the game thread from lohud, not for today’s game but yesterdays. Actually, it’s split into two game threads.

It’s hysterical. You can just see the veins in people’s necks popping farther and farther out as the Yankees blow that lead, then the incredible drastic mood swing as they regain it.

Amazing.

33. Tank the Frank says:

Luke Hochevar > Boston Red Sox

34. Gary says:

I hope Glenn Beck falls off a building.

35. Bob Stone says:

KC up 1-0 on Betancourt’s triple. Still one out with Bet on third.

36. Steve H says:

I love Beckett getting creamed with V-Mart catching. Even though it has nothing to do with his struggles, they will overreact and have Captain Tek catching Beckett in the playoffs with the automatic out in the lineup.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Funny AJ and Posada gets “OMFG THEY CANNOT WORK TOGETHER THEY SUCK LOLOLOLOLOL” form the MSM and now I hear that Beckett and Dice-K like Varitek better but nothing.

I hope they put Varitek in the starting lineup when the playoffs come. At least we know (I hope) that Posada will catch every game unless he’s hurt.

• Bob Stone says:

I’d love to see that too. But, I don’t think they are that stupid.

• Steve H says:

I wouldn’t be surprised. Tito’s main flaw as a manager has been sticking with his guys. I know I can’t wait to listen to the radio tomorrow to hear it over-analyzed for a few hours.

• Bob Stone says:

You’re right. I remember the heat Fancona got when he stuck with Pedroia hitting .215 for a few months when he first came up to the bigs.

• Steve H says:

Well at the very least Pedroia was young. I was thinking more along the lines of Millar in 2005 and also leaving Papi in the #3 hole earlier this year for as long as he did.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

No way. That would just be TOO stupid.

37. Bob Stone says:

Damn – KC 2 BosSox 2

38. Dela G says:

ugh

red sox lead 3-2

39. yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

found a nice pic of Alex and his daughter wit kate and i think that’s her son.

40. The Artist says:

Beckett’s line

J Beckett
    IP-4.0
    H-10
    ER-2
    BB-1
    SO-4
    80-53

11 baserunners in 4 IP?

41. aj says:

Wow. Euphoria.

42. The Artist says:

Just noticed this.

Detroit’s Run Differential is -1. They’re the only playoff team with a negative RD in the major leagues. Even the 2nd place Twins are +29. They must have gaping holes in that team to be negative at this point of the year.

43. Jose says:

I’m so excited that the magic number is down to Joltin’ Joe. I’m surprised you guys didn’t go with a picture of Nolen Richardson.

/alex gonzalez’d

44. bonestock94 says:

I’ve said it before, and now I will say it again. Ring or bust.

Confidence level = 11

45. Drew says:

Billy Wagner implosion plz

46. Drew says:

I wonder if Ajax will be in the stands this weekend.

I don’t think he can sit in the dugout without being on the 40 man but it would be good to see him in the expensive seats come Friday.

47. Wolf Williams says:

Over/under for Girardi’s weight after the postseason: 98.5 pounds.

I know he eschews sugar and snacks, but geez…. He looks anorexic lately. Someone FedEx him a box of peanut brittle.

48. Wolf Williams says:

Imagine a birthday party for Dante Girardi. Organic vegetable chips and vitamin water. I wonder what would happen if Girardi caught Jeter sneaking Dante a handful of M&Ms…. Would they throw down in the clubhouse?