Sep

Misc. Linkage: Oppenheimer, A-Rod, Pitching

Lots of great stuff around the interwebs today, but there’s only so many hours in the day. Here’s some items we didn’t get a chance to post about…

• Mike Ashmore posted part one of his interview with scouting director Damon Oppenheimer. There’s a very interesting quote in there about the team preferring to see their prospects deal with failure in Double-A rather than the bigs, which obviously makes sense. I do wonder how that applied to Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, and Joba Chamberlain though, because those guys didn’t experience an iota of failure until they got to the Bronx. Also, I really hope we one day get coverage of High-A Tampa and Low-A Charleston like we have with Triple-A Scranton, Double-A Trenton, and Short Season Staten Island. Ashmore, Chad Jennings, and Robert Pimpsner have spoiled me rotten.
  • So as it turns out, Alex Rodriguez has been working with Kevin Long to “widen his stance and generate more power to help him center the ball and make better contact.” Considering how he’s been hitting, I’d say it’s working.
  • Tyler Kepner looks ahead to a possible Yanks-Tigers ALDS matchup, and notes that this year’s club is in a better position for October than the 2006 team that fell to Detroit. The biggest difference for me? A strikeout staff. Pitching to contact doesn’t work so well when you’re in a two on, none out jam against a good team.
  • RAB regular leokitty took a look at how the Yanks’ ERA and FIP have matched up throughout the season. You can see that once the bullpen stabilized in June, everything just fell into place.
  • Fack Youk examined the Pitch FX date for Andy Pettitte‘s start last night, and it turns out the lefty was working with a rather favorable strikezone.
  • I like WAR. I like pie. Therefore, I like WAR pie.
  • We all love prospects, and some of us actually like hockey. So for us Ranger fans out there, here’s the club’s top prospects for the 2009-2010 seasons.
Categories : Links

1. Dela G says:

A-rod said that while in oakland on the last road trip, he and kevin long worked very hard on his swing. I remember hearing that on YES a week ago.

Good to hear its working well.

2. I like WAR. I like pie. Therefore, I like WAR pie.

This makes me laugh:

Their 5th, 6th, and 7th best players are (or were) J.D. Drew, Tim Wakefield, and Brad Penny. Those poor bastards.

3. pat says:

Weird,I was under the impression Long was a terrible hitting coach and the sole reason we lost 48 games this year and 2 out of 3 to the Natinals.

4. Of the vocal hockey fans around these parts, there seem to be more Devils fans than Rangers fans. So if we’re gonna go off-topic, Mr. Axisa, we may want to make the locals happy and mention the best team in the area instead of the Rangers.

• I can only assume you’re talking about the Texas Rangers and the Duke Blue Devils. Or possibly the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils.

• jsbrendog says:

i’m an LA King’s fan from the days of wayne gretzky, luc robitaille, tomas sandstrom, paul coffey, and rob blake. man what a first line. and i’d have to trade for jeremy roenick because in nhlpa 93 he was unstoppable and when put on the secod line behind those guys, unstoppablenesstastic

• You know, I never got the Blackhawks and Kings love in those old NHL games. I always thought the Penguins were clearly the best team.

Starting 5: Mario Lemeiux, Jaromir Jagr, Kevin Stevens, Larry Murphy, Paul Coffey.

Unbeatable.

• Just realized we’re talking about different years, since you have Coffey on the Kings and I have him on the Pens. Still, that Pens lineup is better than your Kings lineup. The blueline is obviously kind of a wash but that group of Pens’ center/wings are clearly better than that group of Kings center/wings.

• jsbrendog says:

obviously this was after nhlpa 93 as paul coffey was most certainly on the la kings.

and they had jari kurri, tony granato, zhitnick, sydor, robert lang

penguins were damn good tho with mario, jarg, francis, larry murphy uilf samuelson martik straka…

but still, the great one…and then trading garbage for roenick, the most unstoppable player in any hockey game ever….

unstoppablenesstastic

see: here for roenick nhl 93

• Well, yeah, but take Roenick out of the conversation. If you’re going to go that route there’s nothing stopping me from saying ‘well if you trade Gretzky, Roenick and Lemieux to the Jets they’re unstoppable.’

That Penguin starting 5 is better than the Kings starting 5 you mentioned.
            Offense:

Lemieux > Gretzky
            -Both amazing in real life, but in the game Lemieux was the superior player. Any player in the game could knock Gretzky on his ass by skating within 5 feet of him.

Jagr > Robitaille

Stevens = Sandstrom
            I think Stevens was better, but I’ll call it a wash. Close enough.

So, up front, you’ve got a clear advantage for that Pittsburgh team. Not to mention you’ve got no muscle on that Kings line, while in the game none of those Pens were weak and Stevens was a beast, to boot.

Blueline:

Coffey/Murphy = Coffey/Blake
            Not even worth getting into, any differences would have been slight.

• Look at the score for Pete’s sake. I’m winning 12-2 and it’s only the second period. Breakfasts come and go, Renee. But Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice, in a lifetime.

5. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I’m a Red Wings fan first, and Rangers fan second (don’t kill me…) but I’m pretty excited to see some these Rangers prospects.

6. Billy says:

mike, if all of what oppenheimer said is true about nunez, you should really warm up to him bit. the guy is hitting .322 in AA and he’s 22. he has the tools to becoming a better defender.

7. Tom Zig says:

I guess demonstrating a negative WAR would be awfully difficult on a pie chart…

8. Billy says:

what exactly is WAR

9. I love WAR Pie that shows how awesome Derek Jeter is.

10. Joba or Hughes to the pen says:

The only way A-Rod is gonna hit more power is with PEDS.Surpised everyone in the media can’t understand whats wrong with Ortiz,Manny and A-Rod hitting this year compared to years before.

We all bascially know A-Rod was yaking steroids as a Yankee.

11. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

war pie–i call BS!!

there’s no way Cano>>>Mo

no way. ever.

unless its a war pie EATING contest! yeah! thats it!