Sep

Open Thread: New radio voices

Update (7:31pm): T-Kep tweets that Ian Kennedy might be called up soon. That would be cool.

It’s not major news, but it’s news nonetheless. Suzyn Waldman won’t be around calling games during the Seattle series, instead she’ll be off celebrating Rosh Hashannah. Apparently it takes two people to replace her, as WFAN’s Sweeny Murti inherits pre- and post-game duties while Kim Jones takes over during games. Don’t worry, Suzy will be back in time for the Anaheim series.

Elsewhere, longtime Yankee farmhand and RAB’s 2008 Minor League Lifetime Achievement Award winner Matt Carson has been called up by the A’s and is in the lineup tonight. A big congrats goes out to Matt, I wish him nothing but the best.

Anyway, use this as your open thread until gametime later tonight. The Mets are playing the Nats in a battle of teams going nowhere, and if you’re into hockey the Rangers are taking on the Red Wings in preseason action. You can also come chill with me at MLBTR. Other than that, anything goes until the game starts, just be nice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Lanny says:

Sterling really wants to do these games alone.

2. yankeegirl49 says:

When I read the first part of the second sentence I got all excited, I thought it was going to say she was leaving for good!

3. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

does kim jones sound as good as she looks? that’s the question!

4. JobaWockeeZ says:

10 o’clock games suck.

5. Shana Tova! Party like it’s 5770!

6. Salty Buggah says:

Mike to end the chat: “The Yanks will probably clinch a playoff spot at some point.”

Way to go out on a limb, Mike. ;)

On a serious note, do the Yanks celebrate when they clinch a playoff spot or when they clinch the decision or when they clinch home-field advantage?

I say party all 3 times!

7. Esteban says:

I think I hate Suzyn Waldman more than anybody I’ve never met (non-dictator). If I can’t watch the game because I’m in the car, it really is a hard decide whether or not to listen to the game. She, and John Sterling to a lesser extent, is an embarrassment to the Yankees. The quality of their broadcasters does not match the quality of the rest of the organization and it’s really unfortunate.

8. Salty Buggah says:

Awesome news about IPK. I want to see him action, even for only a bit.

9. JobaWockeeZ says:

With Edwin Jackson falling off a cliff and the Twins on the verge of a playoff spot who would you guys rather see in the playoffs?

They’re actually pretty identical stat wise.

10. JSquared says:

IPK did good for Triple-A the other night, a little 2 inning relief appearance might be nice to see from him.

11. If IPK gets called up for this season, I’ll be super duper pumped.

12. Kim Jones – the quintessential scripted reporter. Hurry back, Waldman.

13. ivan facey says:

Personally I don’t like dat “Who the you rather the yanks play or not” The way the yanks have played this season, Does it really matter?

14. alex gonzalez says:

so i heard the yankees clinch a playoff spot after 3 game outcomes. why does this website say 10?

15. Dela G says:

Let’s hope the red sox can lose 10 in a row….

• The Artist says:

Their pitching is rounding into form nicely right at exactly the right time. Beckett’s coming off two good starts in a row, Lester is always tough and even Dice K looked good the other night. I’m beginning to get worried about them again.

16. So, what do you guys think the next ‘saber-stat’ to hit the mainstream will be? This year it was OPS, I think next year it’s gonna be FIP. I would say UZR, but I think the MSM has an aversion to fielding metrics–even though Buck Showalter said earlier on BBTN this season he wishes there was a “runs saved” stat for nice plays but I’m sure he’d be really against any fielding stat that exactly states how many runs a player saves with his glove…Anyway, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say FIP.

17. Dela G says:

A-rod for the month of September…

.396/.458/.585/1.043

dayum

18. The Artist says:

I’ve just declared war on you guys, hope you like it.

19. Dela G says:

Damn, this orioles sidelines reporter is very hot

20. Ivan says:

Anybody saw the article in the Daily News comparing this yankee team to the 98 team?

What caught my attention in that article was that Chad Curtis actually was the yankee starting LFer in 98.

21. Reggie C. says:

Buccholz throwing another gem.

22. Mike Axisa says:

I keep thinking that I still have to do DotF tonight. I don’t know what to do with all this free time.

23. Mike Pop says:

IPK?

You mean the guy with the 88 MPH fastball?

Please, what a joke.

I’m surprised alex gonzalez isn’t a bigger fan, after all IPK’s career minor league record is 19-6. The guy does win games.

24. Any other Moneen fans out there? I’m listening to the new stuff on MySpace and I’m liking it.

• I just Youtube’d some of their stuff. I kind of like it. What bands do you like Matt?

• To be honest, I’ve been very out of the loop finding new music for the last like…2 years, haha. It’s kinda shitty. But I’ve followed Moneen for ~5 years (I saw them open for My Chemical Romance, Midtown, and Reggie and the Full Effect back in ’03) and I heard they had a new album coming out so I thought I’d give it a listen. Anyway, jams I’ve been kicking lately:

Midtown’s discography (fuck you and Cobra Starship, Gabe)
        Based on a True Story by The Starting Line (one of my favorite albums from ’05)
        Makers by Rocky Votolato
        If You Speak Any Faster by June
        Reasons that Keep the Ground Near by Lux Courageous (super underrated brand that broke up a while ago)

25. Mike Pop says:

Hopefully Allan brings his ‘A’ game tonight, he’ll need it against Felix.

26. NC Saint says:

Does your contract with YES require you to pretend we might conceivably miss Waldman, rather than celebrate her absence?