Sep

The Kevin Long Appreciation Thread

Kevin Long kickin' ass and takin' namesThe plan was in place a few years ago. The beloved Don Mattingly was in pupil in the Joe Torre School of Managing while doubling as the team’s hitting coach. Once phase two of Mattingly’s apprenticeship was put in place – moving him from hitting coach to bench coach – the Yanks needed someone to come in and guide their group of big name hitters.

Enter Kevin Long.

An unheralded player, K-Long spent parts of eight season in the Royals’ organization after being a 31st round pick back in 1989, although he never made it to the big leagues. As a corner outfielder he hit just .273-.322-.365 in 2,599 minor league plate appearances, eventually calling it a career in 1996. Long gradually climbed the minor league coaching ranks after his playing days were over, and found himself replacing Mattingly as the Yankees’ hitting coach after spending three years with Triple-A Scranton.

While Mattingly didn’t take over for Torre, instead bolting with him to LA, Long has remained and transformed what used to be a great offense into a truly outstanding offense. Here’s where the 2009 Yankees rank among the 30 clubs in some of the key offense categories:

Runs: 829 (1st)
Hits: 1,432 (1st)
Doubles: 294 (3rd)
Homers: 221 (1st)
AVG: .283 (2nd)
OBP: .362 (1st)
SLG: .480 (1st)
OPS: .842 (1st)
Total Bases: 2,425 (1st)
Walks: 597 (1st)

And don’t even try the bandbox defense, because the Yanks are among the league leaders in road offense as well. “But Mike, the Yankees have some of the best hitters in the world, of course the team will have great offensive numbers.” Oh yeah, well check out these individual numbers:

Johnny Damon before K-Long: .289-.353-.436
Johnny Damon with K-Long: .286-.364-.452

A-Rod before K-Long: .305-.386-.573
A-Rod with K-Long: .302-.409-.587

Jorge Posada before K-Long: .270-.375-.472
Jorge Posada with K-Long: .307-.393-.515

Those are just three guys, but Long managed to make great hitters even greater. Among other things, he’s worked in the offseason with Robbie Cano, got Bobby Abreu to stop stepping in the bucket, helped A-Rod maximize his output following hip surgery, fixed Hideki Matsui’s shoulders,  and turned Melky Cabrera into a league average hitter. He’s just that damn good.

So spill your guts here folks, and tell us how much you appreciate one of the best hitting coaches in the game.

Photo Credit: Reuters Pictures

Categories : Offense

1. Mike HC says:

After our first anemic offensive performance in the playoffs, everyone will be calling for his head once again. I guess that if the fun of being the hitting coach.

2. Tank Foster says:

As much as I like to give coaches credit and believe in stuff like this, I have to admit it’s difficult.

I’m not saying Long is bad. I’m not saying it’s impossible that he has been responsible for everything.

But, for instance, if he’s so good, why was Cano so bad last year? And Cabrera? Didn’t Cano have his best year when Mattingly or that other guy (can’t remember name) was the hitting coach?

I’ll say I believe Long is probably part of it. But I think the players themselves, the work they put in every day, the whole wave of confidence they are riding, the good clubhouse ‘chemistry’ (I hate that term), the decent luck this year with injuries, have all conspired to push them ahead.

3. Cam says:

I know Giambi swore by him and you just get the sense the players really take to him. During the game players are constantly seeking him out. You see it on the bench all the time. You have everyone from Gardner to A-Rod chatting him up. Yes, that’s what he’s there for. But you’d assume veteran players wouldn’t search out a coach if they didn’t like him. I think Robbie is the biggest proof that this guy knows what he is doing, and my fantasy team couldn’t be happier.

4. Josh from Utah says:

Great post Mike. I agree. Kevin Long has done a fine job as the Yankees hitting coach. I also love his youthful enthusiasm. He is always positioned on the top step of the dugout watching the game, chatting/laughing with players, and high fiving players after a job well done. I think that the Yankees have done a great job assembling a managerial staff. Kevin Long appears to love his job and isn’t embarrassed to show it. Good for him…How many of us can say that about our jobs?

5. Manimal says:

Can we get a anti-Dave Eiland thread?

6. Remember back in April when people were calling for his head, along with Eiland’s and Girardi’s? Seems like ages ago now, huh?

7. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

“and turned Melky Cabrera into a league average hitter the best hitting CF in the American League East. He’s just that damn good.”

Fixed.

8. RCK says:

I agree with the other commenters that Long’s demeanor on the bench is really appealing, and you can see how much the players like him. Every article I’ve ever read that mentions him, it’s someone saying something positive.

Hitting is mysterious, right? It’s hard to say how much the hitting coach can do, but Long seems like a great and hardworking guy. I’m happy to give him some credit.

• Agreed. It’s tough to judge coaches, especially on a team like the Yankees with so many guys who are expected to be stars. But they all seem to really like him and respect and appreciate the work he does, he seems to really care about the job and work as hard as he can, and the results seem to be there. I think that’s pretty much all you can ask for, right? So yeah, good for Kevin Long… He seems like a really good guy and it looks like he’s been doing a very nice job.

9. mos says:

Fun fact: my next-door neighbor was a AAA catcher in the Royals system, and is good buddies with K-Long.

…Ok, so it’s really only a fun fact for me. But I like chatting baseball with him, and his photo album is very cool. Lots of pictures of him (my neighbor) with guys who eventually became big names, like Kevin Long.

10. mryankee says:

I would take Sizemiore 1st over anyone else. Melky has done a nice job this year but there does not seem to be much ceiling for him. Sizemore will be back healthy next year and he is the complete player. In terms of coaches how much credit should they get if as a hitting coach you have AROD-TEX-JETER-POSADA ETC in the lineup. My valuation on a coach is whate he does wih the younger players-Joba-wang-aj-(eiland) not so good-hughes and robertson-good.

• Mike Pop says:

How is he doing a bad job with Joba but a good one with Hughes?

Joba was dominant in the pen, just like Hughes has been now. Hughes struggled and showed flashes of brilliance as a starter just like Joba is doing now.

• mryankee says:

Well we will have to see how Hughes responds to returning to the rotation next year. If he stays as sharp as he is then Eiland will be credited if not then he should be questioned. With Joba I am not hearing any answers from Eiland-we all have come up with more reasons for lack of quality stuff from Joba then he has and he is the pitching coach. Why does it take Derek Jeter getting in his face to get Joba to throw harder? Is that not Eiland’s job? I mean a guy is not performing up to expectations and the pitching coach should be accountable for loack of performance. Is that not why he is the pitching coach?

• Tom Zig says:

I knew you would come in and say something about a good player who cannot be obtained

• Mike Pop says:

Ya ya ya, enough about Kevin Long. What do you guys think it will take to get Verlander! That’s what we should be discussing right now.

• mryankee says:

I never brougt up his name and did a few recent posts not mention ellsbury? I was stating who I thought was the better centerfielder. Wait let me get back to blindly praising the yankees and not trying to be somewhat critical. The funny thing is if the Yankees did obtain Justin Verlander then everyone in here would be happy?

• did a few recent posts not mention ellsbury?

Yes, they did. Because we were discussing AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST DIVISION CENTERFIELDERS. NOT DISCUSSING GRADY SIZEMORE.

I don’t think you know what being critical is.

• “Wait let me get back to blindly praising the yankees and not trying to be somewhat critical.”

You’re insinuating that everyone else around here blindly praises the Yankees and isn’t critical or objective in their analysis. But there’s no evidence that your assertion is accurate. Any reasonable person can understand that. Prove whether or not you’re a reasonable person by explaining whether you understand that or not.

“The funny thing is if the Yankees did obtain Justin Verlander then everyone in here would be happy?”

Nobody doesn’t want Verlander, it’s just that nobody wants to have a pointless conversation about a hypothetical trade that we have no indication has any base in reality or even any chance to happen in the future. Any reasonable person can understand that. Prove whether or not you’re a reasonable person by explaining whether you understand that or not.

• mryankee says:

I di not bring him up and the nly reason I ever brought him up was in a different discussion and for only two reasons. 1: the tigers are the likely 1st round opponet and he might pitch twice inthe series. 2: I thought he was a good model for Joba in terms of career path.

• Care to actually respond to my comment? Your response is completely irrelevant to what I said.

• mryankee says:

I will respond to what I perceive your comment to be-1: everytime I bring up a reason that the Yankees are not the best team in the world or why they might not win it all-I get attacked-(fine) I will try to connect two complaints-1: I talk about Verlander to much ok fine I only do it because as I said before he on the team we will face in round 1-2 he is a major reason why the Tigers might win-note: I said might I did not say would. I Think me saying the Tigers have a good starting rotation and the Yankees after CC have some issu is factual and reasonable.

The other issue I harp on is Joba Chamberlain I perceive that there is a reason his velocity os down and we can all guess but to the point about the thread being about yankee coaches. I would like if the pitching coachon this team would tell the fans what he sees and why Joba has not pitched to expecations.

• Rick in Boston says:

Why should Girardi/Eiland tell the fans what’s wrong? They shouldn’t just say “He’s out of shape”, “He’s hurt”, “He’s just not that good”. It plays into the other team having an advantage. They have no reason and you should have no expectation that the Yankees should tell anyone outside of their organization what’s wrong with a player.

• Stop it. You’re playing this little game where you respond to “what you perceive my comment to be” because you can’t respond to the actual words written very plainly and without room for much wiggle-room in interpretation without acknowledging that you’re wrong. My comment isn’t vague or difficult to understand. You bring things up out of left field (there is no reason to bring up Joba in response to my comment) because you can’t answer my comment without admitting you’re wrong. Just stop it already, you only hurt your own credibility and, thus, people’s interest in even giving you a chance to make a point, by acting the way you act.

My words were clear. Either respond to the plain meaning of my words or don’t respond at all.

• Whitey14 says:

No matter what Red Sox fans think, nobody criticizes the Yankees better (and more accurately) than their own fans. Probably one of the more important things I’ve learned here…..

• That, and the fact that you’re supposed to take a bath or shower every day, and not just a couple of times a year.

• Whitey14 says:

That’s not very nice. I always speak well of you.

• Especially since the statement was:

…and turned Melky Cabrera into the best hitting CF in the American League East.

The Cleveland Indians collectively and Grady Sizemore individually: Not in the AL East

mryankee: consistent FAIL

• mryankee says:

I heard a lot earlier in the season about Victor Martinez not being able to be obtained. The Red Sox found a way to get him. Your probably right about Sizemore but I am not sure anyone cannot be obtained.

• 1. Sizemore is not in the AL East, thus he was not discussed in the conversation above (which is what I assume you’re referring to).

2. Your point about it being tough to give coaches too much credit when they have talented players to work with is fair enough.

3. Your point about Eiland is ridiculous. Neither Wang nor AJ are “younger players,” nor does the blame for Wang’s injury or AJ’s being AJ fall on Eiland’s shoulders.

So you’re batting .333 in this thread. Good in baseball, not so good in commenting.

• mryankee, this stops now. This thread is not about Grady Sizemore. It is not about Joba Chamberlain, it is not about Justin Verlander. It is about Keving Long. Only the second part of your comment addresses that, and even then you veer (though acceptably so).

Stop. If you want to talk about Grady Sizmore and Justin Verlander coming to the Yankees, start your own site.

11. alex gonzalez says:

“Long has remained and transformed what used to be a great offense into a truly outstanding offense.” this has to be a hyperbole. what is next saying mike harkey is the reason that mariano and hughes have been so good this year. i could have been the hitting instructor and just told tex to do whatever and he would still hit well. he contributes but not that much.

• So, it’s today, not last night. Tell me how A-Rod failed last night. I’d love to hear it.

• My retort:

The only thing that matters is wins and losses. The Yankees win more often and lose less often than any other team in baseball, therefore both Kevin Long and Dave Eiland are better than all other hitting and pitching coaches in baseball.

Refute that shit, I dare you.

/argumentconclusivelyproven’d

• alex gonzalez says:

the only thing that matters is wins and looses. kevin long and dave eiland have very little impact on how pitchers and hitters really do. a professional like tex didnt become better because of kevin long. cc isn’t better because of dave eiland. isn’t there a chance the hitters and pitchers are just really good this year? and not any of the coaches.

• No, they probably don’t have a huge impact, but there are subtle things both hitting coaches and pitching coaches can do to improve the players. We rarely see those things, though, because we’re not behind the scenes watching the bullpen or hitting sessions that the players have with the respective coach.

• Mike HC says:

It is called a “team.” When things are going well, everyone on the team deserves credit, from the hitting coach to the ball boys. When things are not going well, everyone deserves part of the blame. That is what a team is all about.

• alex gonzalez says:

the ball boys deserve credit? do i deserve credit as a fan. some of my money is going to them being a team.

• Mike HC says:

Yes, even the fans deserve credit. The new Yankee Stadium has been rocking lately. I surely celebrate like I did something after big wins, ha.

• You’re going too far. The team, the coaches, the people handling player personnel, they all deserve credit. The ball boys and the fans do not get credit when the team wins.

• Mike HC says:

hahaha … I can agree with that. But are you saying that fan noise does not have a positive effect on the home team under any circumstance? Because I disagree with that.

• alex gonzalez says:

too late. i now am partially responsible for this teams success.

• Mike HC – Of course I’m not saying that, of course there’s a home field advantage. (And I said nothing of the sort in my comment above, for the record.) But you know you’re taking it too far.

• Mike HC says:

yes you are. So don’t be so quick to hate when you see something wrong. Because you take some blame as well when Girardi gets harrassed by reporters asking questions that fans like you want to hear.

• Mike HC says:

Mr. Congressman, yes, I definitely am taking it too far.

• Mike HC says:

Oh yea, also, I was wrong. Jeter breaking the record on Sept 11 … not eerie at all. Not weird. Not superstitious in any way.

• “So don’t be so quick to hate when you see something wrong.”

This, I can’t agree to. If something is wrong and I know it’s wrong, I’ll say so. Very sorry if that hurts someone’s feelings but it’s not about the person, it’s about what the person said.

“Because you take some blame as well when Girardi gets harrassed by reporters asking questions that fans like you want to hear.”

I’m not even sure what this means. Yes, of course fans can provide a home field advantage which helps the team and can also contribute to the pressure put on a team either themselves or through the media. No, this doesn’t mean the fans get credit when the team wins or blame when the team loses. There’s a reasonable cut-off point (you know this) where the credit/blame stops. If a hobo in South Dakota drops an old Yankees hat in the dirt and a kid picks up that hat and keeps it and finds out who the Yankees are and becomes a Yankees fan and 30 years later buys tickets to a couple of games and cheers his heart out, thus contributing to the home field advantage, does the hobo in South Dakota get credit for the Yankees winning because if he hadn’t dropped that Yankees hat in the dirt that poor little wretch of a boy wouldn’t have become a Yankees fan and contributed to the home field advantage for 2 days? To end an unnecessarily long argument with a very short answer: Fuck no.

I know you’re kidding at this point, but you’re really only half-kidding, and what you’re half-kidding (so, therefore, half serious) about is incorrect.

• That’s funny, I peed my pants the moment was so eerie. The awe inspired the urine right out of me.

Joking aside, let’s please not bring up that conversation ever again. We all agreed to drop it. It was highly retarded.

• Mike HC says:

yes, you get a good read on people. I am half kidding, half serious. so I will take your response the same.

The Sept 11 thing, I was being serious before, not sarcastic. I was wrong and glad to admit it.

• Mike HC says:

I feel as if all the of RAB big three have alter commenting egos. I’m not saying Alex Gonzalez is one of the alter egos, but I would not be shocked. Maybe I have been listening to too many conspiracy theories lately.

• Chris says:

You throw out Mike Harkey in jest, but he might be responsible for some of Mo’s success. Under Harkey, Mo has a 9.8 K/9 rate and a 1.2 BB/9 rate. That’s the lowest walk rate of his career and the K rate is only beaten by his 1996 season. I don’t think that’s the typical progression for a 38-39 year old reliever.

12. Eric S says:

Regarding the comments about all the coaches doing a good job this year…I agree as well. Doesn’t this also reflect well upon Girardi?

13. Manimal says:

Ouch, Yanks start the 2010 series in Boston for 3 games, then in Tampa, then home opener vs angels. Dont think it could get worse than that.

14. Salty Buggah says:

I appreciate Kevin Long

15. theyankeewarrior says:

You guys and our defensive statistics all make me sick. How can you say Jacoby Ellsbury is a bad CF? I hate him with a passion but he runs down every liner known to man out there. I’m sure he’s no Willie Mays, but with the way the dam UZR ranks players, I wouldn’t be suprised to see the 1996 version of Ken Griffey Jr. coming in at a -13. Sometimes, it’s okay to use your eyes and judge their speed, athleticism and tendencies to make bone-headed plays. To me, it’s clear that Jacoby Ellsbury is not a below average CF by any means

• Did you not see my comment and the comment from Jamal about actually watching Ellsbury play? Just because he’s fast doesn’t mean he’s a good defender if he takes poor routes to the ball or gets bad reads.

• theyankeewarrior says:

Maybe UZR could rank typing skillz I would be a -1000

• How can you judge Ellsbury with your eyes if you haven’t even watched 1/8 of his career games?

• theyankeewarrior says:

It must be a coincidence that I cant recall one bad play he’s made (not saying he doesn’t make bad plays but I watch these games intently and I really can’t name an error) and I know I’ve seen him play over 100 games (probably closer to a full season’s worth). I’m not saying he’s a godsend I’m saying hes a great athlete out there. How can he be taking so many bad paths to the ball if he makes diving catches on full sprints every other night? Maybe you can explain to some of the less-enlightened baseball followers how the UZR system can track every ball that’s hit in every situation, off every slugger’s bat, and how hey know the paths that terrible CF’s suck as Jacoby Ellsbury are taking to catch them…

• Over 100 games? The Yankees have played the Red Sox fewer than 50 times since Ellsbury came up. So you’ve watched all those, plus over 50 more Sox games?

As for education, that’s for you to take care of yourself. I’m not as unforgiving as some commenters on this, so here are some links.

It took me literally 10 seconds to pull those up on a Google search. Please, don’t start writing off stats until you actually understand them.

• UZR doesn’t look at the paths a fielder takes to get to the bal. UZR looks at how many balls a fielder gets to, relative to how many the average fielder at the same position does.

• Rick in Boston says:

The diving catches are born of his poor route taking and bad positioning. Even if you watch the game, you won’t always see where he’s setup or the full route he takes to the ball. He gets away with bad jumps and shaking routes because of his speed. If/when Ellsbury loses a step, he’s going to be Damon without the pop.

• Maybe you can explain to some of the less-enlightened baseball followers how the UZR system can track every ball that’s hit in every situation, off every slugger’s bat…

Sure, I’d be glad to. UZR does this by watching the games, just like you claim to do. Unlike you, however, UZR uses a team of cameras and statisticians to record every play immediately and place it in a database. You do the same thing, but you don’t watch every play and don’t store every play in a database, because you’re just a guy. One of them.

Lots of guys and cameras watching and recording every play from every game, without precondition, bias or the frailty and flaw of the human memory >>>>>>>>>> you

…and how hey know the paths that terrible CF’s suck as Jacoby Ellsbury are taking to catch them…

UZR does not “know the paths that terrible CF’s… are taking to catch them”. UZR doesn’t give a crap about the path. It’s not about the “how”, it’s about the “what”.

Ball X was hit to Spot Y. Player Z was in the field at the time. Player Z either did or did not catch Ball X at Spot Y. This situation is then compared to league averages of how often players in Player Z’s position convert Ball X hit to Spot Y into an out.

There are no style points. The “Jacoby Ellsbury takes bad routes to the ball” is not a function of UZR. It’s a theory developed by people watching the game (like you and me) to explain why a fielder with such natural defensive ability potential can somehow be such a sub-average fielder.

He has the ability to record outs on Ball Xs hit to Spot Ys, but he doesn’t. Perhaps it’s because he takes bad routes. It’s just a theory.

UZR is not a theory, UZR is just raw results. Compared to other centerfielders, Jacoby Ellsbury converts fewer balls hit into the vicinity of centerfield into outs than his peers. Fact. The interpretation of that fact is left up to you.

• Tom Zig says:

Probably the best explanation of UZR in laymen’s terms.

• Tank Foster says:

No, they’re human, so it is impossible for them to be without biopsy, precondition, frailty, and flaw. They watch plays and have to make a judgement on how hard a ball is hit, and the judgements are crude – “hard, medium, slow,” etc. They make judgements on where the player was at the beginning of the play, and exactly where and on what vector the ball was hit. There are human judgements in there. There is no mechanism, anywhere, to assess whether the stringers are reliable…meaning do they judge the speed of hit balls or the vectors the same….there is no mechanism to control for inter-observer variation. The comparison numbers between different fielders are indices, and the significance and scale of the indices is not known. Is a UZR of 2 twice as good as UZR of 1? Is the difference between 1 and 3 the same as the difference between 3 and 5?

There is natural variance in athletic performance, and two identical twins playing in the exact same circumstances are going to get different results. So any statistic requires some sort of assessment as to its significance. Specifically, when can we be sure that the difference between 2 players is truly due to something other than just random variation?

In UZR, we don’t know what that number is. Two players with UZRs of 5 and 8 might be equal fielders, the differences being simply chance. Or, 5 and 8 might represent vastly different ability levels.

This is what I keep harping on, and nobody seems to get.

The comment that “it’s imperfect, but it’s the best we have” is, I’m sorry, stupid. If the stat is flawed and is leading to erroneous conclusions, then some other stat, or other form of evaluation, would be better.

This number appeals to everyone because it’s so complicated sounding. The methodology – watching all plays, and trying to quantify events – is sound and solid. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine whether the conclusions are valid.

So’s ya don’t think I’m just pissing all over UZR, the reason I don’t like it is that the numbers for players vary so much from year to year. Players go from being, if you believe UZR, far below league averages one year, then way above them the next. For this degree of variation, there must be some serious slop in the system.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• Tank Foster says:

duh….without “biopsy”???? Sorry, work language seeping into baseball posts.

*without bias….

And “Them” in the first paragraph refers to the “stringers”, the guys watching the games and recording events.

• pete says:

I agree (almost) whole-heartedly. I don’t think that UZR is quite as inaccurate as you make it out to be – over the course of a 162 game season, positions like OF, SS, 2B, and 3B can, I believe, be judged to a degree better than that of your average joe who watches the games, because the amount of data will have accumulated so much for each player that factors like chance, velocity/vectors will even out to a degree. However, I do believe that with today’s technology it really would not be that difficult to get a much better (possibly perfect) defensive metric. When you consider the incredible precision and accuracy of PITCH/fx, it really isn’t hard to imagine a computer algorithm, that calculates things like the angle and velocity of the ball leaving the bat, wind, and other things that come into play. I would say this kind of technology/analysis is 2-3 years away.

• theyankeewarrior says:

Awesome explanation. I’ve read enough threads to have a basic understanding of UZR, I guess my point is that UZR can’t judge situations. It can’t judge whether a fielder needs to catch a ball, it can’t judge how hard a ball is hit (can it?) It can’t judge the wind conditions. It can’t judge overspin. It can’t judge how big of a swing the batter took (often drawing even the best fielders to take a step back or hesitate) upon blooping a dunker in. What I’m saying is that judging defense is like comparing apples and oranges. Every ball that is hit in every situation is completely different. (And yes, Joe, I’ve watched about 50 or more non-Yankee Sox games over the past few seasons. I tend to watch and root against them when they’re on ESPN) Maybe UZR is the best way to put defensive performance into a number but I think it can certainly be improved, and until they formulate a system to incorporate some of these other factors, they are playing with flawed stats. But if you say Jacoby Ellsbury is a garbage CF’er, and you’re right, then I’m siked. Praise me to Mo.

• Tom Zig says:

So because it challenges your view on certain things, it MUST be wrong.

16. ADam says:

I’ll Admit… I wanted Long Gone Ha (get it) back in June… But my foot is in my mouth… Hes done a great job and will prob be a bench coach/mgr someday

17. Charlie says:

k-long has done a real good job. but those three guys’ stats you mentioned are minor improvements, so that really doesn’t do much to prove that the reason for success is the hitting coach

18. Bo says:

Can Long help them win a title before we start building the monument?

19. Riddering says:

Personally, I think KLong deserves credit for the spike in OBP. It can’t all just be due to Swisher working the count and A-Rod failing the team when they really need him to swing.

I’d also love to have a look at the notebooks where he keeps all his intel on the players. One day, they will be released, top the NYT list, be made into a film, and shock the world more than Dan Brown’s saga. Bank on it!

20. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

this whole melky/bellsbury thing is irrelevant: one of them is interminably stained, and the other is melky…

21. pete c. says:

Great post, one problem with it though. It should be the formerly beloved Don Mattingly. Not only did he bolt to the hated Dodgers, but he insisted on “honoring” Yogi by wearing #8. I gotta think that with the animosity between the two teams during the 40′s and 50′s of which Berra was in the middle of several incidents: 1, Yogi’s probably pissed Mattingly’s wearing his number in a Dodger uni. And 2: Jackie Robinsons’somewhere laughing his ass off.