Sep

Vizcaino, Warren, Paredes & Medchill among NY-Penn League’s top prospects

Continuing with their league top 20 series, Baseball America named Ryan Westmoreland the top prospect of the Short Season NY-Penn League. Four Yankee farmhands made the list: Arodys Vizcaino at #3, Adam Warren at #12, Jimmy Paredes at #14, and Neil Medchill at #18. The subscriber only scouting report on Vizcaino says that he “could have a plus curveball to go with a plus-plus fastball down the road,” but he’ll need to work on his changeup to stick as a starter. An unnamed NL scout loves Warren’s pitchability, and one league manager dropped an Adam Lind comp on Medchill.

The South Atlantic League list comes out this Friday, so get ready for some Manny Banuelos love.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. pat says:

Ive said it many times before, I love me some Adam Lind, I’ll take that in a second.

2. Mike bk says:

if medchill turns into Adam Lind how lucky would we be?

In looking at that list Warren should have been more like 6th, but nice to see lots of yanks representing.

3. JSquared says:

Are we loaded at Staten Island… or what?

4. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Actually, Ryan Westmoreland was #1, 2 & 3 prospect. His shoulder blade was #16.

5. The Artist says:

Very cool.

I wonder who will be covering SWB with Chad Jennings heading to LoHud?

GREAT great pick, BTW. Looking forward to him keeping up the high standards for content that PA set.

6. Accent Shallow says:

I’m definitely excited about Vizcaino.

7. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

After tonight if Medchill could turn in Adam Lind like that, I would be thrilled.

8. Stryker says:

speaking of staten island, pimpsner announced via twitter he’ll no longer be covering the SI Yanks – no word yet on what he’s moved on to.

9. Accent Shallow says:

Neil Medchill was 22 this year, and he tore up SS A ball.
    When Adam Lind was 22, he spent time in AA, AAA, and had a cup of coffee in the majors.

I’d like him to be a stud as much as the next guy, but he’s got some work to do.

• pat says:

True, but Lind had a two year head start. You’re right though, he still has a ways to go. The list of people who killed the NYPL and sucked everywhere else is long.

• Reggie C. says:

Agreed.

Which is why I hope Medchill starts off in High-A Tampa. I dont envision Medchill having to make much adjustment to low-A pitchers , many of which are pitching full-season ball for the first time and are only out of HS a couple years.

Medchill could climb into Top 10 yankees prospects list with a strong debut in Tampa.

10. Drew says:

Why do so many scouts comment anonymously? Do they not want to be held accountable for being wrong or is it some other issue, maybe they don’t want teams to know how highly they regard a player?

11. Aj says:

why is it that all scouta when writing about a yankee pitching prospect always says they will end up in the bullpen? Vizciano is young and if it wasnt for his injury would probably of been up in A- with Man Ban.

12. Aj says:

Anyways cant wait to see where the yanks farm ranks this winter maybe this could be the year where our system ranks ahead of the socks definitly not 15 like last year.. thoughts guys??

13. rbizzler says:

Arodys is going to be real fun to watch next year. Despite the fact that they are a ways away, Vizcaino and Banuelos look like a formidable 1-2 prospect punch.

14. Jerkface says:

Mike Ashmore has an impressive resume but he is a red sox fan, pass

15. Joba Rules says:

Was it Ryan Westmoreland and everyone else or is anyone close to him?

16. Mike Ashmore says:

A) Scouts are actually not allowed to comment on players outside of the organization they work for.

B) The team you follow — regardless of who it is — has absolutely nothing to do with how you do this job, at least it doesn’t to me. I want the teams I cover to do well. I want to cover playoff baseball. I want to cover good stories and good games and good people.

Kudos to anyone who can find a shred of any bias in any of my Thunder coverage. I bust my ass regardless of who I’m covering…and honestly, I don’t really have time to follow a big league team anyway. I work two beats. No. Time. Furthermore, I want to see the guys I’ve covered in AA do well in the show. I want Hughes to succeed. I want Joba to succeed. Cano, Duncan, Coke, Pena, Melancon, Aceves, and so on…I want them all to do well. If the Yankees beat the crap out of the Red Sox in the ALCS, great.

And lastly in regards to this point…I actually think you don’t want a Yankees fan covering a Yankees team/affiliate. Fans always, always, always overrate their own prospects. Pick up a BA Handbook from a few years back and tell me how many of those guys made the big leagues. How many made an impact? Do you guys want me writing fluff features about how Eric Duncan’s going to hit .782 in the big leagues? Or do you want me to be realistic about it?

C) Please don’t kick me in the b*lls. This will hurt.

D) I’m a Rangers fan covering a Devils affiliate as well. I’m dating a Devils fan. One of the weirder moments of my career would have to be going to the Rangers-Devils game at MSG at the end of March and yelling all sorts of things at Martin Brodeur when he got scored on, and then standing next to him a few days later interviewing him after they beat the Lightning. If you’re a professional, you can separate the two things.

E) The bad stuff aside, thanks for all the kind words on here. I have worked very hard to get to this point. I really have nothing to say about the Scranton situation. But to have people think I’d be a good candidate is nice.

17. Mike Ashmore says:

And, just to add on to point A to clarify…they often do comment on guys outside of their organizations, so that’s why their comments have to be presented anonymously, as they would/could get in trouble if they weren’t.

18. Jeff says:

Mike would be just perfect covering Scranton. He did a great job at Trenton, supplementing his coverage with ample photos and videos which I really enjoyed.

It just seems like the natural thing to do if he is interested. He has proven himself at AA, so bring him up, just like a ballplayer.

19. bottom line says:

Could someone please define “pitchability?” (what an awful contribution to the vernacular)