Sep

Yanks blow out Seattle 10-1

Because it’s 2:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning and the Yanks won a September game against the Mariners, here is the season’s shortest recap:

• Mark Teixeira is good at hitting.
  • Hideki Matsui is making it really hard for the Yanks not to resign him.
  • CC Sabathia is good at pitching.
  • I’d put money on the Yanks facing the Twins and not the Tigers in the ALDS.

The worst part of this game was CC’s taking a liner off his chest. I was at a bar with the game on tonight, and half of the crowd there went dead silent until it was clear that the Yanks’ ace was okay. Other than that, this was a breeze of a win, and the Yanks’ Magic Number is now Graig Nettles. I’m sure these guys are going to champion Roger Maris, but tough for them.

We’ll be back in the morning with a post or two before tomorrow’s 4 p.m. Joba-mania affair.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Greg Hurlman says:

Don’t be surprised if CC misses his next start – and no, it won’t signal the end of the world.

2. Bob Stone says:

I was a great recovery from a tough loss the night before. Let’s get the magic number down to Yogi Berra later today.

3. Salty Buggah says:

Good win.

4. ARX says:

“I’d put money on the Yanks facing the Twins and not the Tigers in the ALDS.”

$10 on the Tigers putting the Twins away when then meet again in Detroit next week.

• The Artist says:

Disagree. Baseball is especially tough to play as pressure mounts, and the Tigers have to not only beat their opposition but also fight the idea that they’re sinking like a rock. If there was more time for them to recover, I’d agree. But a losing streak this late in the season is very tough to overcome.

5. Salty Buggah says:

The recap is missing one thing:

Robbie Cano is good at hitting also.

6. JMK says:

Not to take anything away from Nettles, but c’mon, you gotta go with Maris.

• Salty Buggah says:

No, I’m sure you want this instead:

• The Artist says:

Nah, Nettles is a great choice. I’m a huge Nettles fan and he is still to this day my favorite all time player. He always gets a big hand at Old Timer’s day, among the loudest from his era, so it’s not just me.

Plus, Maris’ number NEVER should have been retired. That was done for a bunch of factors that have nothing to do with his qualifications as a player. He was A)Ticked off at the Yanks for releasing him B)Sick and didn’t have long to live C)George used the number retiring to bring him back and have a day for him.

George was retiring numbers like crazy from the mid-80s to the early 90s, and it got a bit out of hand. The team wasn’t winning, so that was his way to generate interest and raise their credibility a bit. Poor substitute for a good team.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Plus, Maris’ number NEVER should have been retired.

Agreed, but he did break baseball’s most hallowed record, so IMO, he was more deserving than Reggie. But neither one should have had their # retired.

I don’t supposed there is any chance of un-retiring #44?

• steve s says:

Reggie brought swagger to the Yanks at a time no one ever thought the Yanks would win another WS and to this day he remains a tremendous positive influence on the current players. He also chose to go into the HOF as a Yankee. Maris basically gave the finger to NY fans and chose a Budweiser distributorship as his baseball legacy.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

The Yanks went to the WS the year before Reggie came (and unfortunately ran into the buzz saw known as the Big Red Machine).

What he brought to the Yankees was an oversized ego, which, when combined w/ Billy’s alcoholism, created several years of dysfunction.

His lifetime 262/356/490 doesn’t seem HOF worthy. I mean, people bitch about Rice getting in (and IMO, rightly so) and he had a lifetime line of 298/352/502.

• toad says:

Maris basically gave the finger to NY fans

They gave him the finger first, frankly. In 1961 the fans wanted Mantle, not Maris, to break the record, and they showed it.

• claybeez says:

Nettles! I was hoping he’d represent the magic #. My day has been made.

7. Michael Gwizdala says:

Hi guys, love the blog. Would it have been too much to ask for someone to find a pic of one of the rare occasions that Joe DiMaggio wore # 9? ;) One could also make the case with Nettles that there be two # 9′s out in monument park, yes he was that good with the Yanks.

8. Kiko Jones says:

Props to Maris but yeah, Nettles. Yogi’s next.
    (Wait for the Bill Dickey-related complaints. Heh, heh.)
    And speaking of numbers, Bruney is going with 99 now and because of it David Cone poked fun at both Bruney and his fellow pitching brethren on the broadcast. Hope it continues to work for BB.

9. Riddering says:

My favorite performance of the evening was Coney in the booth. He just gets better and better, with the Fangraphs and worthwhile commentary and stating that multiple homers > cycles.

But the blowout was nice too.

10. mr yankee says:

Great win tonight-to bad the Orioles are a bucnh of fing cowards when they play the Sox. Big start for Joba need him to assert himself today go five strong and win the series. I was thinking anyone think Bo Jackson could have made the hall of fame in baseball and football?

• Jamal G. says:

Yeah, and everyone can argue that the Twins “are a bunch of fing cowards when they play the [Yanks].” Stop complaining – the Red Sox are a good team, and they are going to consistently beat shitty teams; relax.

• Rick in Boston says:

No, Bo wouldn’t know Cooperstown. Even if he never got hurt in football, I’m not sure his numbers would be that impressive – borderline at best. While he would have the home runs and the steals, the BBWAA would look at his low batting average, modern analysts would look at his low OBP. I’m not sure how much longer the wear and tear of the NFL would allow him to play both sports, regardless of his injury.

He also wasn’t THAT great in the OF – he had 49 career OF assists, but somehow amassed 44 career OF errors. I’d be interested in what his UZR was – his speed did allow him to cover a lot of ground.

Would I have liked him if the Yankees signed him in the ’82 draft. Sure, he would have looked great in center flanked by Elway and Buhner. But I doubt he’d make the Baseball Hall and Canton would be a possibility, but he would have had to play a couple of full seasons – his career high was 11 games and he never broke 1000 yards rushing or scored more than 5 TD’s.

• Steve H says:

He never would have made the baseball HOF, but if he stuck to football full time he likely would have been one of the all time greats. Despite coming into every season late due to baseball, he averaged 5.4 ypc in his career! In his 4 abbreviated years he averaged in yards per game, 79.1, 58, 86.4 and 69.8 despite not being a starter. For his career he only averaged 13.6 attempts per game, but 73.2 ypg, so he would have gotten over 1100 yards per season despite getting less than 15 rushes per game. He was a beast. Probably the best combination of power and speed as a RB that I have ever seen.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Probably the best combination of power and speed as a RB that I have ever seen.

The best combination of speed and power I ever saw was Earl Campbell.

Although I never saw him play, I heard that Jim Brown guy was pretty fast & powerful also.