Oct

All but official as Yanks seemingly opt for longer ALDS

Although the Yankees can wait until an hour after the Twins/Tigers playoff game is over to pick an ALDS series, according to reports out of the clubhouse, the team has all but decided on the longer series. Mark Feinsand tells us that Joe Girardi informed CC Sabathia he would pitch Wednesday against the eventual AL Central winner. That game — and Friday’s home game — will start at 6:07 p.m. Eastern time. By starting the series on Wednesday, the Yankees will need to use only three starting pitchers and will enjoy extra days of rest for Mariano Rivera and Phil Hughes, their weapons out of the bullpen. Meanwhile, the next 68 hours are going to seem really slow.

Categories : Asides, Playoffs

1. The Artist says:

Girardi has said one of his main reasons for doing this is the way a longer series allows him to use Hughes and Rivera in just about every game. He feels that a big edge the Yanks have over their opposition.

2. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Ah, my next two days are set. Favre vs. the Packers tomorrow.

So who’s going to watch the new Yankees classic where Jeter ties Gehrig on Tuesday? Anyone? Anyone?

Just me?

• chriskeo says:

I was there, now I get to see it on tv, I will watch it because I don’t want to go two days without Yankee baseball (we have game 163 on tuesday)

3. 27 this year says:

I hope there will be no weird distractions like the midges in 07. Hughes and Mo kinda remind me of Joba and Mo.

But at the same time, this is a whole new team, stronger pitching, defense, offense, and a sense of fight I haven’t seen in a while.

• Honestly — and I hope this doesn’t come back to haunt me — I trust Hughes more this year than I did Joba in 2007. That year, Joba was a true rookie. It was his first year of professional baseball, and he was just used to success. This is Hughes’ third season in the Majors, and he’s been in the organization for longer. He’s faced true adversity and has emerged very strong for it. It’s a narrative, but I like it.

• Dela G says:

i really think torre should’ve taken the team off the field during that game until the midges went away or something, but i guess that’s just me…

who cares, a new team, new year, and new attitude. Let’s kick some ass this postseason

4. UWS says:

So does 6:07 start mean that’s the first pitch? Or that there’ll still be pregame festivities going on and the actual first pitch is at more like 6:30?

5. Because of that 6:07 start, I’ll miss about 90 minutes of the game at work. Goddammit.

• leokitty says:

The postseason start times are always wonky to try and shove in as many games into primetime as possible. At least the Yankees aren’t getting the 2pm start times this year!

I have tickets for it so I am not missing anything for Game 1 but I’ll miss about an hour of Game 2 if I go straight home from work. :(

6. Dela G says:

what sucks is that i’ll miss all of game 1 since i am going to be studying and then going to a pitbull concert (eh, laugh all you want, but if a hot girl begs me to go to a concert/club with her, i’ll gladly oblige) :D

I’ll be at RAB for games 2 and 3 (there won’t be any 4 or 5 around these parts my friends) ;)