Oct

For the right price, Phil Coke will sweep your chimney

I’ve said it before, but I kind of enjoy reading an article, knowing I have to link to it on RAB, but having nothing to add. This Gordon Edes profile of Phil Coke speaks for itself. As he says, “I’m a normal person. I really am a normal person. I don’t know any other way to be than a small-town, backwoods kind of guy.” It’s definitely a good read at time when some of us are feeling down.

Categories : Asides

1. Accent Shallow says:

Phil Coke: seems like a nice guy, even though he drives me up the wall by pointing at every ball hit in the air, whether they’re out-of-play fouls, or home runs.

2. Cam says:

He’s always seemed like a down to earth kid. Hard worker, a bit of blue collar in him. Nice read, thanks for the link!

3. “I don’t know any other way to be than a small-town, backwoods kind of guy.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8 (safe)

4. mryankee says:

I like Phil Coke when he gets people out-whe he does not I dont care what he does.

• This implies that there are pitchers you like when they don’t get people out.

• Chris says:

I like all Red Sox pitchers when they don’t get people out. Right now, I also like Phillies pitchers when they don’t get people out.

• mryankee says:

Yeah the opposing pitchers. When the Yankees light those guys up I like them. Right now I dont like Cliff Lee too much and I am wondering if the Yankees made any inquiries when he was available.

• Right now I dont like Cliff Lee too much and I am wondering if the Yankees made any inquiries when he was available.

I’m sure we did, we determined that the cost-benefit analysis said it wasn’t worth the price, and we moved on.

• I don’t like the fact that Cliff Lee beat us last night and we’re down 0-1 in the World Series, but I don’t have a shadow of a flicker of a moment of doubt that passing on both Lee and Halladay was the correct move. This team is good enough to win the whole enchilada without them.

This.

• Because whenever a good player is traded, the Yankees are idiots for not getting him first.

5. From the sourced Edes article

The five biggest contracts in the history of the game have gone to Yankees, two of those deals to A-Rod.

That’s an interesting and ambiguous use of the word “gone”, isn’t it? Very interesting choice of words.

The largest contracts in baseball history, by total contract dollars (emphasis mine):

1 Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees: 10 years, $275,000,000
    2 Alex Rodriguez, TEXAS RANGERS: 10 years, $252,000,000
    3 Derek Jeter, New York Yankees: 10 years, $189,000,000
    4 Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees, 8 years, $180,000,000
    5 CC Sabathia, New York Yankees: 7 years, $161,000,000

Oh, and FWIW, the largest contracts in baseball history, by average annual value (again, emphasis mine):

1 Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees (2008-2018), $27,500,000
    2 Alex Rodriguez, TEXAS RANGERS (2001-2010), $25,200,000
    3 CC Sabathia, New York Yankees (2009-2015), $23,000,000
    4 Johan Santana, NEW YORK METS (2008-2013), $22,916,667
    5 Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees (2009-2016), $22,500,000
    6 Manny Ramírez, BOSTON RED SOX (2001-2008), $20,000,000
    7 Miguel Cabrera, DETROIT TIGERS (2008-2015), $19,037,500
    8 Derek Jeter, New York Yankees (2001-2010), $18,900,000
    9 Barry Zito, SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS (2007-2013), $18,000,000
    10 Vernon Wells, TORONTO BLUE JAYS (2008-2014), $18,000,000

6. mryankee says:

The Phillies did not even give up their best pitching prospect for Lee. Halladay because he was in the division is a different story. Lee appears to have been more available for a more reasonable price. I guess it does not matter now. Lee does not swing a bat so offense is just as much to blame. as Michael Douglas said in wall street” I hate losses nothing ruins my day more than losses”

7. Tank Foster says:

It’s a nice thing about Coke, but articles like this are so cliche, I get sick of reading them. I find this kind of story to be as much an underhanded swipe at the “rich” Yankees, or rich athletes, or even rich people in general, as it is a story about a guy like Coke.

The Yankees make alot of money. That’s good for the Yankees, but it’s also good for the rest of baseball. Just like it’s good that Boston makes alot of money, and LA, and Chicago. And would it somehow be better, or more “fair,” to the league, or to society, or to the poorly paid, envious and covetous sportswriter, if the owners of these teams pocketed more of the money and fielded mediocre teams?

Everything costs more in NY. Everyone from plumbers to janitors to doctors make more in NY than anywhere else. I’m so sick of hearing about it.