Oct

NLDS Game Two Thread: Cardinals @ Dodgers

Not only did the Dodgers manage to limit Albert Pujols to just two walks (both intentional) in five plate appearances last night, but they also managed to grab a 1-0 series lead against Cy Young candidate Chris Carpenter. Ho hum, the Cardinals will just trot out another Cy candidate today, this time in the form of Adam Wainwright (19-8, 2.63). Los Angeles will counter with the young sensation Clayton Kershaw (8-8, 2.79), who managed to strike out 18 batters in his final 12 innings of the season despite battled a separated non-pitching shoulder. First pitch is scheduled for 6:07pm ET, and as usual you can check it out on TBS (TNT until the Phils-Rox is over).

1. TheLastClown says:

I didn’t think it was any kind of probable going into the series, but with LA taking game one, my desire for a Yankees v. Dodgers WS is beginning to smolder.

2. Drew says:

It’s crazy how bad Ethier’s splits are.

194/283/384 vs. lefties.
    238/341/389 Away.

Also, brutal May and September.

3. [...] Confidence Poll « NLDS Game Two Thread: Cardinals @ Dodgers Oct [...]

4. Riddering says:

…but they also managed to grab a 1-0 series lead against Cy Young candidate Chris Carpenter. Ho hum, the Cardinals will just trot out another Cy candidate today, this time in the form of Adam Wainwright…

Will it be 2010 or 2011 when we’re saying this about Joba and Hughes?

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very confident in the futures of both players, but we might be getting ahead of ourselves here. If Joba doesn’t regain the velocity he had pre-August 4, 2008, or figure out how to be more consistent (which I think he can, but it’s nowhere near a guarantee), I’d temper my expectations on Joba. Hughes, on the other hand, should be a top-notch ace, but again, he’s young, immensely talented, but hasn’t proven he’s an ace yet.

Not saying it won’t happen, just saying I wouldn’t bet my house in it either.

• TheLastClown says:

Wait, why do you think Hughes will be a “top notch ace” but think that Joba’s expectations will be tempered?

It sounds to me like the elevated expectations foisted on Joba while he was in the pen, as Hughes is now.

Hughes as a starter: 141.1 IP .778 OPS against, 1.436 WHIP, and 7.1 K/9

As a reliever: 51.1 IP, .456 OPS against, .857 WHIP, & 11.4 K/9

Now for Joba:

Starter: 221 IP, .759 OPS against, 1.480 WHIP & 8.4 K/9

Relief: 60 IP, .512 , .983 & 11.9

Seems pretty similar to me, and I don’t think any conclusions can be made quite yet, until both of them are in the Second Full Year as a starter.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

I’m concerned about Joba’s injury last August.

• TheLastClown says:

But not Hughes’ injuries for the last two years?

• TheLastClown says:

07 & 08 obviously I mean

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Hughes’s velocity is still good and his command is still pretty solid. He hasn’t had what seem to be any ill-effects from the injuries. Part of the issue is the bullpen work. Would the results have been the same if Hughes had been starting all year? I don’t know. As you mentioned, his year resembles a lot of the Joba ‘pen sessions. Will it translate next year as a starter? Can’t be sure, but having started for parts of two seasons for the big club, I think should make it an easier transition than it was for Joba, who had a different path.

But I do know Joba’s not the same pitcher he was as a starter last year before the injury. Maybe he’ll have a Verlander-like recovery next year as his arm strength is built up, he has more innings under his belt, his confidence improves, etc. Maybe it’s mechanical. Look—I’m not Chicken Little—I still think he can be a very good pitcher in the majors. But if his velocity doesn’t recover, I don’t know if his control and command is good enough to propel him to that level.

I’m just a bit more confident in Hughes putting it together and reaching his considerable ceiling, that’s all.

• Riddering says:

My comment was meant more tongue-in-cheek than anything but my confidence level for both Hughes and Joba is very, very high.

I don’t think Joba’s 2009 season should diminish expectations for his future. Now, during August it certainly diminished how we all expected to perform for the rest of the season and the postseason. But for 2010 and beyond? I’m excited to see how Joba comes back after having built up his workload.

• TheLastClown says:

While the double barreled Cy Young comparison was clearly tongue-in-cheek, there’s no reason that come 2011 they both won’t be front/middle rotation starters for us.

Well there’s lots of reasons, potentially, but…nevermind. They’re going to be great.

• TheLastClown says:

Probably 2011.

I expect Hughes’ season next year to have some similarities to Joba’s this year.

But with Joba allowed & prepared for 190-200 IP next year, I’m looking for very good things.

5. Mike Axisa says:

Adam Wainwright is such a freakin’ stud, it’s not even funny.

6. TheLastClown says:

Very pass on Matt Holliday. Let’s-Go-Dodgers.

Clap–clap–clap-clap-clap

7. TheLastClown says:

Who’s got a grittier face? Ryan Franklin or Casey Blake?

8. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Franklin tanks the Cards again.

9. Riddering says:

Nothing better than closer antics…on other teams.

Still, it’s depressing to see a gem about to go to waste at the hands of the bullpen.

• TheLastClown says:

At the hands of Matt Holliday. FTGiganticL.

• Dan says:

I find myself wondering how Chip Caray would’ve called that play. “Line drive, base hit! Caught! No, wait…”

• Riddering says:

Holliday’s error was pretty bad but Franklin should have been able to record another out to at least keep the game tied.

And am I the only person struck by the terrible irony that the Cards lost this game because LaRussa didn’t get fancy with match-ups?

10. Dela G says:

great win for the dodgers

11. Mike Axisa says:

Brutal, brutal loss for the Cards. You can’t go 0-2 when Carp and Wainwright were the starters.

12. Joba Rules says:

Awesome game.

13. dkidd says:

my wife is a die hard cards fan. bad craziness.