Oct

Open Thread: The day before Halloween

Lots of us are going to be out partying it up pre-Halloween style tonight while the World Series is stuck in a travel day, so it’ll probably be a little slow around these parts. Anyway, I just wanted to point out that Matt Hagen at THT posted his Top 10 Yankees Prospects list. Here’s quick thoughts:

1. Jairo Heredia is too high after missing most of last year due to injury. Even healthy he wouldn’t rank that high.
  2. DJ Mitchell is also too high. He’s got a massive platoon split and is probably just a reliever down the road.
  3. Austin Jackson is too low. I know he didn’t have a great year, but all the tools are still there, and he’s still a 22-yr old in Triple-A.

Anyway, use this as your open thread for the night. Both the Isles and Rangers in action tonight, but that’s pretty much it. Talk about that, your Halloween costume, or whatever else you want. Just follow the guidelines and be nice.

If you’re really bored, laugh at this:

Categories : Open Thread

1. Salty Buggah says:

Halloween Costume: Balloon Boy

2. JMK aka The Overshare says:

I’m going as Roman Polanski. Candy and juice (champagne, but whatever) in the van, kids!

/A few decades later, is this still too soon?

3. Rod says:

Any word on CMWs rehab? Chances he can become league average next season if the Yankees decide to hold onto him?

4. pat says:

Mike, *if* Heredia threw mid 90′s he would be one of our Top 3 prospects.

He doesn’t.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

And to put him, D.J. and DeLeon ahead of him at this point is pretty nuts. Heredia could be a very good pitcher, sure, but you absolutely cannot put him that high up after his injury concerns and his good-but-not-great stuff.

DeLeon is way too young and his lack of discipline is a huge issue. Jackson, while also having discipline concerns, has done it at a much higher level and is a more well-rounded player at this stage. We’ll talk about DeLeon in two years, not now (and I happen to really like him).

D.J. Mitchell? Investigate the numbers more thoroughly. As Mike noted, those splits are REALLY concerning.

• Reggie C. says:

Hagen’s list is off. Placing Heredia before Arodys and McAllister?? No way. He’s also too bullish on DeLeon who should place below Heathcott and Jackson. I did enjoy Hagen’s aggressive ranking of Man-ban.

btw, Lars Anderson is not the RS top prospect anymore. That cuban kid (jose iglesias) is gonna rank higher than Anderson. You simply cannot slug under .400 and not take a hit to your prospect star. At least 3 guys have leapfrogged Anderson.

5. Ivan says:

Im gonna be Dustin Pedroia for Halloween.

/Rosenthal’d

6. Salty Buggah says:

Leave it to PeteAbe to point to everyone the A-Rod thing. I know that everyone can find out about it but he has to point it out on his Twitter and also say that Jeter dislikes him.

• Marcus says:

I can pretty much guarantee I would not have found out about it if PeteAbe hadn’t posted it. I’m not exactly scanning the Us Weekly website for baseball news (or any news for that matter). Which makes me curious as to why PeteAbe is…

• Salty Buggah says:

True. I wouldn’t have found it either. Also, who believes an ex? Apparently PeteAbe does. Haters will be haters.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Also, who believes an ex?

Exactly! I have an ex (now living in Baltimore, of all places) that says I’m “creepy,” and “childish.” Totally not true. She’s a lesbian now, though, so yeah, I agree with your point. Haters can’t be trusted for to accurately represent someone’s character.

/Seacrest Out!

• Januz says:

Pete Abe aka “The Mole” should be happy working on the Globe, covering his beloved Sox and Pats (Only problem is they are not going anywhere). If I was David Ortiz, I would watch out for Pete Abe, because he is another Dominican/steroid user (Just like Arod), who could end up at the wrong end of Mr, Abraham’s columns, because of the venom inside Pete Abe.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Pete Abe is a jerk.

• Salty Buggah says:

I agree with Mike, though. Having a picture of myself as a centaur over my bed would be really badass.

• Marcus says:

Eh, it’s pretty weird, if true. If my buddy had something like that, I would be creeped out unless it was clear it was a joke.

But like you said, it comes from a “ex”. It’s from a damn gossip magazine for crying out loud. PeteAbe clearly just enjoys tearing down A-Rod over every little thing. I bet PeteAbe pictures his own portrait of himself as a centaur and gets a little jealous.

Where would you even get the idea to make a portrait of yourself as a centaur? I heard from his ex’s cousin’s dry cleaner that he is commissioning a portrait of his face with a lion’s mane around it if the Yanks win the World Series.

• Ivan says:

Hey, in that same article:

Us Weekly also reports that Hudson, 30 — who has been front and center at his baseball games since they began dating this past spring — has been bragging to pals about what a good lover Rodriguez is.

“They love sex!” a pal tells Us Weekly of the pair who began dating in May. “They talk about it all day. Kate gets graphic talking about his body, even to her parents.”

• The Artist says:

Her rock star ex-husband was very open about enjoying threesomes, and Alex was long been rumored to be a swinger while he was married. They’re perfect for each other.

• Riddering says:

The sources on that articles are Roberts-esque. Pretty sad on Abe’s part to share such poor writing and a hack job of backing up claims. Anyone can do that…

“Ex says A-Rod has life-sized doll of himself that he copulates with!”

Boom, I’m going to sell a million papers.

• Tank the Frank says:

I’m pretty sure the “self portrait as a centaur” thing is from some comedy or a sit-com. I know I’ve seen it somewhere. Can anyone think of it?

Anyway, this is just too rediculous to believe. It made me chuckle. There are waaaaay too many stupid people in this country.

7. Free Mike Vick says:

whenever stan says “whales”, replace it with with “matsui” and it would be perfect.

8. Reggie C. says:

Knicks are making Charlotte look like Cleveland right now.

9. Andrew says:

would heredia rank in the top ten if he was healthy?

• pat says:

If Jairo was healthy all year and put up solid numbers @ Tampa he could have an outside chance at slipping in the top 10. IMO one good season in charleston shouldn’t vault him ino our Top 5. I love the kid but u just can’t do that. Of that crop of youngsters he’d definitely be behind A-viz and Banuelos.

• Accent Shallow says:

I just hope he can pitch better for the Yankees than The Run Fairy.

10. Dela G says:

i am going to be this guy for halloween

11. D M says:

It’s a list from a guy who’s never seen most of those prospects. For those of us who have seen A Jackson the list is a joke

• I think the shine is coming off of the Jackson bulb a bit. The walk rate and power are both a bit low considering the incredible strikeout total.

It’s also worth noting that his OPS dropped by a pretty large amount each month. His good LD% was nice, showing he at least hit the ball hard, but his BABIP is probably unsustainable.

12. I feel like De Leon is a little high.

• Oh and Z-Mac is waaaaaaaay too low.

• The Artist says:

I’m surprised nobody thinks Manny Banny is high. That’s great news for me, I’m a big fan of his. But #2 in the organization strikes me as the type of thing that people would react to, but they haven’t.

Everything I’ve read about Manny Banny makes me think he’s a Ron Guidry comp. Fastball-slider power pitcher, smallish frame, super aggressive approach on the mound. If Ron was ‘Louisiana Lightning’ than I guess Manny Banny is ‘Mexican Lightning’.

• Reggie C. says:

The Man-Ban ranking was a bit too aggressive. I would say that Man-Ban’s charleston season puts him ahead of guys like Heredia/Mitchell, but Banuelos still ranks behind A-Viz in terms of ceiling and McAllister.

You can definitely make a case for Banuelos somewhere in the top 10 list, but imo there are 2 pitchers and 3 hitters (montero, jackson, heathcott) who should place before he does.

• Camilo Gerardo - your inception? fuck perception, go with what makes sense says:

relampago mexicano does roll off the tongue just as Luisiana lightning does

13. pollo says:

Chipotle is giving out free burritos to those people that come in dressed as a either a burrito, salsa, or salad that come in after 6 PM tomorrow.

14. Noel Devine is still in college?

• Kanye West says:

the guy was a freshman 2 years ago!

haha yeah it seems like he’s been there forever though, but i remember when he came out and burst on the scenes in 07 with shite and slaton

15. Accent Shallow says:

Come on guys, it’s fantasy baseball content, you expected something insightful?

16. Girardi out to the mound says:

IDK if anyone posted this today, but does this idiot Rollins ever keep his mouth shout:

Rollins didn’t mention the player by name, but it was obvious from his dig that he and his teammates are a lot happier with Raul Ibanez in left field rather than since-departed Pat Burrell. Asked how much of an impact Ibanez has had on the Phillies’ bid to repeat as world champions, Rollins said: “There were less balls falling in the outfield [compared to when Burrell was there], so that meant teams were getting [fewer] extra outs on balls that should have been outs.” Ouch. Rollins didn’t stop there, saying Burrell, who signed with Tampa Bay in the offseason and went on to have a terrible year for the Rays, made Rollins’ job harder.

• aCb says:

yeah he really is a tool and its kind of annoying how everyone praises him when every season since his mvp has declined dramatically. I think hes the only leadoff hitter who has a sub .300 OBP.

17. The Artist says:

2010 top 10 prospects: New York Yankees

1. Jesus Montero
    2. Manuel Banuelos
    3. Jairo Heredia
    4. Austin Romine
    5. Kelvin De Leon
    6. Slade Heathcott
    7. Arodys Vizcaino
    8. D.J. Mitchell
    9. Austin Jackson
    10. Zach McAllister

Mike, if you have a few minutes, give me an MLB comp for each prospect. Assuming (of course) that all goes well.