Oct

The RAB World Series prediction thread, hosted by Jay-Z

With just under 30 hours under the Yankees and the Phillies start the Fall Classic, anticipation is in the air. The Yankees are just four wins away from their first World Series title since I was in high school, and the match up against the Phillies promises to be a compelling one.

As we await tomorrow night’s 7:57 first pitch, everyone and their uncles are getting in on the World Series prediction party. My favorite though is definitely this bit from a Jay-Z interview. Here’s what Shawn Carter had to say:

I actually predicted the Yankees in six with the Angels, so I think I?m like Jigga the Greek. I?m gonna say, Phillies are a bit tougher than the Angels. I?m gonna take Yankees in seven. Dramatic A-Rod walk-off at the end of the game redeeming him for all the time the papers and the media vilified him. Is that specific enough?

Personally, I’d rather not see the Yankees and Phillies go to seven games. I don’t think my baseball-loving heart could take Jigga the Greek’s prediction coming true. An A-Rod walk off would be quite dramatic, but that would mean the Yanks would either be down or losing Game 7 of the World Series.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the ball is a less disinterested crystal-ball gazer. Jimmy Rollins today predicted the Phillies in five, and the Yanks basically laughed in his face. I couldn’t care less about what he says, basically, because that’s not what’s going to happen,” Mariano Rivera said. “What he says and what’s going to happen is far from that. You know what I mean?” Indeed, I do know what you mean, Mo.

I’ll open up this thread, then, with my prediction. I say Yanks in six. I think the World Series plays out quite similarly to the ALCS. The Yanks will enjoy success in the new ballpark, but the Phillies will win a pair in Citizens Bank. If all goes according to plan, CC Sabathia should take home another postseason MVP award. But that’s hardly the definitive word. What do you think?

Who will win the World Series and in how many games?
View Results
Categories : Playoffs, Polls

1. The Yankees will beat the Phillies in the World Series, because the Yankees are genetically superior.

Sincerely,
    Jigga the Greek

2. I’m mad you didn’t give me the option to pick Yankees in 3 + a Phillies forfeit of Game 4.

3. Joe says:

Phillies in 5 bc they want to clinch at home.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Rollins

4. pat says:

If we’re able to win convincingly tomorrow it’ll be over in 4. We should beat Pedro. Hamels has been what the spanish call El Terible against far worse offenses. Then either Lee on short rest or Blanton again would favor the Yanks.

5. Salty Buggah says:

God has spoken. Yankees will win.

:raps gavel vigorously:

6. pete says:

i see yanks in six. yanks win pitchers’ duel in game one, semi slugfest (a lot to a medium amount) in game 2, convincingly in game 3, then gaudin loses another slugfest, then yanks lose another pitcher’s duel, then pound the living shit out of pedro again at home to clinch, while AJ goes 9 w/ 15 Ks.

7. Drew says:

“I couldn’t care less about what he says, basically, because that’s not what’s going to happen.”

Mo knows.. Mo knows…

8. UWS says:

I was listening to Francesa yesterday (don’t ask) and there were two callers, one of whom predicted a Phillie sweep, and another who predicted a Yankee sweep. It was quite funny, especially when Francesa went off on the Phils predictor.

Personally, I’ll take Yanks in 6.

9. Mike Pop says:

Yanks in 6.

10. Salty Buggah says:

The spreadsheets so far have said that the Yanks will win game 1.

• Tampa Yankee says:

The Yankees had to claw back after ALCS MVP CC Sabathia put them in a 3-0 hole in the second inning. After Howard, the NLCS MVP, doubled leading off the inning, Pedro Feliz tagged a two-run homer. It was the first of six total in Game 1 — no surprise given that the Yankees and Phillies led their respective leagues in home runs during the regular season. Carlos Ruiz followed with a solo shot to left, and the Phillies led 3-0.

Yeah… I doubt that’s going to happen…

When the fourth inning began, Lee was mysteriously lifted after throwing only 47 pitches. He did not appear to be injured, but the Phillies offered no explanation for his departure.

I can see Lee leaving after 47 pitches in the 4th but it’ll be because the Yanks just hung a crooked number on him.

Yanks in 6.

11. Salty Buggah says:

I wanted to vote Yanks in 6. My heart said Yanks in 5 so I went with it.

12. Yankeegirl49 says:

Yanks in 6..I was originally thinking 7, but changed my mind after giving it some thought.

Oh and thanks Ben, for making me feel REALLY old!
    “The Yankees are just four wins away from their first World Series title since I was in high school”

13. Drew says:

I chose win in 4. I’d be more realistic but what’s the fun in that?

14. Game 1:
    CC and Mo outduel Lee. Yanks win 2-0.

Game 2:
    Pedro pitches a 1-2-3 first inning. Buck and McCarver leap on his nuts and start slobbering away. He then implodes in the second and third innings. Yanks win a laugher, 15-5.

Game 3:
    Hamels pitches suprisingly effectively. So does Andy. Yanks win a battle of the bullpens, 6-3.

Game 4:
    Down 3-0, Manuel turns to Lee on short rest, who is merely normal as opposed to “Cliff Lee good”. Yanks put up 4 on him through the first 5 innings and CC makes it stand up. Yanks win 5-2.

We all go pussytubing.

15. Tampa Yankee says:

Let me guess the 2 to pick “Phillies in 5″ are Bo and Lanny?

• Salty Buggah says:

No, Bo has surprisingly been pretty positive recently. And look below at his comment.

• Bo says:

Where do you get that I dont think they’ll win?

I guess a little criticism of the team means you want them to lose according to some. I guess i should wave the pom poms and say what a great job Girardi is doing even when hes not.

If you want to know I voted Yankees in 4 because I think they get the first 2 at home and cruise from there. And feel good pom pomers because Ive been right the past 2 series’

16. Riddering says:

Mo makes me feel warm in areas NSFW.

Yanks win in 6. I, hopefully to my future regret, respect the Phillies offense and pitcher. Singular. Plus, winning at NYS will be amazing.

17. Bo says:

If the Phillies dont take Game 1 with Lee on the mound they could be in for an extremely short series. Because Pedro in Game 2 could be a disaster. I think its a little much to expect more than 5 innings from him in that spot. And Hamels has been pitching batting practice.

18. mustang says:

“I?m gonna take Yankees in seven. Dramatic A-Rod walk-off at the end of the game redeeming him for all the time the papers and the media vilified him.”

Totally agree. I think this is going to be a dog fight and at some point during this series your going to have the bandwagon fans jumping off like rats on a sinking ship.

I say Yankees in seven and at one point they will be behind in the series. ( thus bandwagon fans jumping off).

19. Bo says:

i dont know how this goes 7 unless the Phillie rotation pitches out of its head and Lee dominates CC.

Their SP just doesnt match up here.

20. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Ganesh has four arms and a trunk….so I, along with Ganesh, am taking the Yankees in 5.

21. Joe says:

“I thought you were kidding. I thought it was a joke, I even wrote it down in my diary. ‘Jimmy Rollins had a VERY funny joke today’ I laughed at it later that night.”

22. Mike HC says:

I predict Manuel leans too heavily on Pedro due to his Yankee “experience,” which ends up crippling the Phis in the end. Leaning too heavily means pitching more than 5-6 innings total. I can just see Pedro coming in relief in a monster situation as well.

23. Salty Buggah says:

Besides, since when do we listen to people who posed in Playboy? (Rollins did)

24. Dela G says:

The Yankees are just four wins away from their first World Series title since I was in high school still in 7th grade and living in far rockaway queens , and the match up against the Phillies promises to be a compelling one.

Good god it’s been a long time

25. steve s says:

Never really know when you might make it back to the WS so, as a record book junkie, I’d like to see a 7 game Yankee series win so that Jeter can pad his stats and move up on various WS lifetime record charts (hits, runs, but probably strike outs as well).

26. Dela G says:

yanks in 6

27. mike jones says:

Peter Gammons actually predicted the Yankees to win the world series before the playoffs started

28. nirzhor says:

Bold Prediction:Melky or The Lazy Dominican for MVP

29. Joe says:

If anyone has tickets for game 7 (won’t happen, Yanks in 6) they’re looking to sell…here’s your buyer…

30. Teix is the Man says:

2009 will go down as the year of Joba and Hughes-they will come up fucking aces in the series. Book it!

31. kunaldo says:

Yanks in 6 b/c I’ll be there! (although, the broke person in me hopes for a win in 4 or 5 so I can save some money)

32. JobaWockeeZ says:

Yanks in 4. Mostly depending on AJ if he performs better which he might because he pitches better at home. Game 1 will be tough though but they take that series is pretty much over.

I’ll go with the sweep and maybe 5 games.

33. Salty Buggah says:

JoPo (in apparently slightly irritated): “Nostradamus! Jimmy Rollins, let him keep predicting.”

34. JobaWockeeZ says:

Jimmy Rollin: Of course, we’re gonna win. If we’re nice, we’ll let it go six, but I’m thinking five, close it out at home…
    Kanye West: Yo Jimmy, I’m really happy for you for being NL champions, I’mma let you finish, but the Yankees are the greatest team of all time!

Sorry but since Jay-Z is referenced I just had to do it.

35. Marc says:

Jimmy talks, it’s what he does and IMO it’s good for baseball.

36. Rose says:

This series will basically come down to who’s hotter. They’re both very good teams (although it’s kind of odd that the Phillies only had 1 more win than the Wild Card Colorado Rockies in a weak division AND league)

Let’s just hope everybody slumps on their team…we keep pitching well…and our hot bats stay hot…and out cold bats get hot…(or at least warm maybe??)

We should fine. I said Yankees in 7 only because it depends on our pitching and I have no idea what it’s going to look like (AJ mostly).

But, like Big Ben, my heart can’t take anymore either…

When they’re not in the playoffs like last year I’m bored and angry…and when they’re in the playoffs like this year and any other…I’m excited, nervous, and sometimes angry…oh well haha

37. Ivan says:

Yankees in 5, maybe 4.

I guess Jimmy Rollins must of gotten confuse with that “other” NY team.

38. Salty Buggah says:

FWIW, Rob Neyer said Yanks in 5.

39. Maurice says:

Yanks win 24-5. Jorgie drives in 9 runs. Not gonna happen…..

40. CapitalT says:

I’m not a fan of a starting pitcher winning the MVP unless he starts 3 games. Even in the ALCS, two other pitchers had to win to make CCs ws hold up. If the Yankees lose the series 4-2 with CC pitching 2 gems and nobody else doing anything exemplary in the 4 losses, there is no way he wins the MVP.

41. CapitalT says:

I’m just saying that performing in 2 games of a series that takes 4 to win isn’t enough to warrant an MVP in my opinion.

All MVP voting is arbitrary.

42. I enjoy this: Similar to the one person who votes a 1 every week in Mike’s Fan Confidence Poll, one person has voted for the Phillies to sweep the Yankees. I hope it’s the same person.

43. Joe D. says:

I wonder if Jimmy Bigmouth predicted his own .296 OBP this season. Over 672 plate appearances. That’s pretty sweet out of the leadoff spot, eh? Against NL pitching. With 81 games in a bandbox.

For the sake of comparison, Jose Molina had a .292 OBP this season. That’s right folks, with regards solely to *getting on base*, the Phillies have Jose Molina leading off.

Someone point me back in the direction of all the folks who say the Phillie lineup matches up well with ours. My foot is in dire need of some ass.

• Someone refresh my memory…do we have a single regular anywhere near that low in OBP? I think not. Not even in the nine hole.

You’re correct. Of our 9 starters, Melky’s .336 OBP is the lowest and the only one of the 9 below .350.

Let me say that again, louder.

Only one of our nine regulars has an OBP below .350.

Thirteen Yankees this year had 100 plate appearances or more. Jose Molina was the only one of those 13 with an OBP below .300. Molina, Peña, and Cervelli were the only ones with an OBP below .320, and those three guys came in at #11, #12, and #13 on the list of the 13 Yankees with 100 plate appearances when you sort the list by number of plate appearances.

This team is the balls.

• Sam P. says:

Jimmy drew 44 walks this season.
      LINK

Derek drew 72.
      LINK

Rollins only stole one more base than Jeter, too. Interesting.

• Joe D. says:

More “sake of comparison” comparisons:

2009 Stats:
      Rollins: .296 OBP / .423 SLG

Luis Valbuena: .298 / .416
      Miguel Olivo: .292 / .490
      Clint Barmes: .294 / .440
      Bengie Molina: .285 / .442

Brad Lidge: 7.21 ERA
      Sidney Ponson: 7.36
      Oliver Perez: 6.82
      Sergio Mitre: 6.79

44. ansky says:

I predict Mariano will drop the hammer of GOD on Jimmy Rollins causing him to never predict/pick anything again. Rollins will proceed to watch football games after the coin flip has been decided.

45. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I kinda don’t like the Yanks laughing in the face of Rollins’s prediction. It sounds a bit too cocky and reminds too much of Tom Brady’s infamous (and incorrect) comments after the Plaxico prediction.

• To be clear, Rivera wasn’t laughing at Rollins. He was basically saying that of course Rollins is going to say that his team will win. Who wouldn’t? I was being a bit hyperbolic, and it’s really just a non-story. Don’t stress too much about it.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Ah, okay.

It’s not particularly important either way, but an interesting side plot as we wait in excitement for game 1.

46. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I predcit Mark Texeira for MVP. He was definitely heating up the final three games of that ALCS.

47. JM says:

Tim McCarver and Joe Buck on whoever gets a hit or 1-2-3 inning against the Yankees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ceCMpPJgc

48. Quikksand says:

Yankees in 6

BEAT PHILLY!

49. Camilo Gerardo - your inception? fuck perception, go with what makes sense says:

I got some kicks off of Mitch Williams, a must listen!

50. Yankees in 6–long layoff does in the Phillies’ ‘O’.

51. John says:

Vote for John Sterling’s Best Home Run Call.

Although that Jay-Z prediction would be nervewracking it would be pretty awesome

52. [...] if you’re still looking for something to do before the game, make sure to check out the RAB World Series prediction thread. It’s a great time killer, I promise you. Also, if you want to bask in some glory, check out [...]