Oct

Tynan out after anti-Semitic remarks

Long-time Yankee Stadium guest and “God Bless America” singer Ronan Tynan will not be a part of the rest of the Yanks’ October run after making anti-Semitic remarks earlier this week. NBC New York broke the story earlier today:

The trouble began on Thursday when the 49-year-old Tynan bumped into a Halstead Property real estate agent showing an apartment on his floor to a potential buyer, a pediatrician from NYU Medical Center. The real estate agent said to the tenor, famous for his association with Yankees, “Don’t worry they are not Red Sox fans,” according to the apartment-hunter, Dr. Gabrielle Gold-von Simson.

To which Tynan replied, “I don’t care about that, as long as they are not Jewish,” Gabrielle Gold-von Simson told NBC New York. “Why is that?” asked a flabbergasted Gold-von Simson of the singer.

And Tynan responded that Jewish ladies had been looking at the apartment before and they were “scary,” according to Gold-von Simson. The singer now claims he was joking, but the good doctor didn’t see it that way. “I didn’t know him at all so how could I take it as a joke,” said Gold-von Simson.

How could anyone really take that as a joke? It’s blatantly anti-Semitic and not funny at all.

Meanwhile, Tynan attempted to apologize today but simply succeeded in putting his foot in his month. He tried to old “some of my best friends are Jewish” line and offered up a mea culpa. “It was stupid of me to be so callous, and I would never want to hurt anybody’s feelings,” Tynan said to NBC today. “It’s something misfortunate. I was too stupid with my mouth.”

The Yankees have unsurprisingly canceled Tynan’s scheduled singing of “God Bless America” tonight. Although Kevin Kaduk at Big League Stew can’t imagine a Bronx October without Tynan, I won’t miss him.

Categories : Playoffs

1. Jamal G. says:

He tried to old “some of my best friends are Jewish” line …

I could understand if he had piles and piles of Jewish friends, but the fact that he has just “some” does not cut it for me.

2. One “GBA” rendition down, one more to go.

3. Stevis says:

Tynan …you are a friggin jerk-off

4. PaulF says:

He must have piles of jewish friends and he even lets them use his bathroom.

5. The Yankees today announced Tynan’s replacement:

Rush Limbaugh.

6. The trouble began on Thursday when the 49-year-old Tynan bumped into a Halstead Property real estate agent showing an apartment on his floor to a potential buyer, a pediatrician from NYU Medical Center.”

A pediatrician from NYU Med? Indians, no doubt, what with their curried breath and dirty overpopulated sublets…

/Tynan’d

7. deadrody says:

Can ANYONE explain to me how this ended up in the media ? Whatever ass decided this was something they needed to report to the media is BY FAR the biggest jerk in this situation.

8. Mike Nitabach says:

That God Bless America crap makes me sick. It’s got no place at a baseball game, and I am repulsed by sports teams wrapping themselves in the flag and using jingoism as a marketing tool.

• Is GBA really “jingoism”? I’m just as skeptical about certain things done in the false name of patriotism as the next guy, but calling the recitation of GBA “jingoism” seems a bit extreme for me.

Now, kicking people out of the stadium for refusing to stay in their seats for GBA, that is stupid, no bones about it. But I don’t think playing GBA at a ballgame is necessarily jingoistic.

• crapulent aka I said good day sir says:

they stopped the keeping people in their seat thing during GBA…

• Jeremy says:

I think the jingoistic part is when the crowd is told to take a moment of silent prayer for our servicemen. This is a fine thing to do, but instructing 50,000 people to do it doesn’t sit well with me.

• Drew says:

Some people like GBA, chief.

Some players/people take great pride in their home country. How draping yourself in your Countries flag is jingoism is beyond me. Care to explain?

9. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Ronan hadn’t had his daily allotment of Baby Ruth bars.

/Chunk’d

10. iYankees says:

Get Kanye to sing God Bless America through an auto-tuner.

11. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I just heard that Rednex will be doing their rendition of “Cotton-Eyed Joe” during the 7th inning stretch instead. I can’t believe they were available.

12. Ayayay.

Actually, what was really awful was reading the LoHud thread about this.

Ayayay.

13. Paul McCartney says:

Speaking of postseason guest appearances, does anyone know if Challenger the eagle will make an appearance?

14. Marsha says:

I cannot express how thrilled I am that Ronan Tynan will not be singing God Bless America at Yankee Stadium. And I hope his ban is permanent. I cringe every time he starts that ridiculous introduction that just makes the song even more torturous to listen to. Maybe the Yanks will finally get the message and stop playing that song altogether during the 7th inning. It no longer belongs in ball games (if it ever did).

15. SteveD Fla says:

God Bless America and the National anthem should be both sang or played at our national past time. where is the support for our ( your) country? I do not want to make this a political thing but that is the problem with our country today. Ok, Im waiting to get blasted.

• Don’t equate God Bless America with the National Anthem. The two aren’t anywhere close to being on the same level.

Plus, singing a song with some fairly unnecessary religious undertones doesn’t equate with support for our country.

• TheZack says:

What he said.

• Paul McCartney says:

Exactly, God Bless America really shouldn’t be played, but I like that the National Anthem is played.

• Aaron says:

Judeo-Christian principles/beliefs played absolutely no role in the founding of this country. Therefore God Bless America does not reflect the religious freedom that so many people fought and died for when they came to this country. Toss history out the window. An unnecessary song indeed.

• Mike Nitabach says:

Do you sing the national anthem and GBA when you go to the movies? Do you sing the national anthem and GBA when you watch a teevee show? Do you sing the national anthem and GBA when you read this blog? Do you sing the national anthem and GBA before you grill steaks in your back yard? Why not? Don’t you “support your country”?

You don’t “support your country” by singing stupid songs at a baseball game. It is offensive to fans who want to be left alone to enjoy a game and not be bludgeoned with nationalistic and christian propaganda, and it is also offensive and belittling to genuine patriotism and support for our country.

• Jeremy says:

I don’t think that singing a song shows any support for your country. Anyone can sing a song.

I like GBA, it’s fun to sing after having a few beers at the game. I did not like Tynan’s super solemn version of it, which didn’t allow audience participation.

Most of all, I hated the (abandoned?) policy of forcing everyone to stay at their seats during GBA. Now that was unamerican.

• Drew says:

Not everyone here is against the singing of GBA. Personally, I love it. Tynan was my favorite but now it turns out he’s just an asshole.

16. Larryf says:

Back to “Take Me Out to The Ballgame” led by John Sterling from the booth Scary thought :-)

17. SteveD Fla says:

Hmmmmmmmmmm? did not look at it that way. But Im still ok with it. I guess I am just frustrated with all the anti this anti that people being offended thing.

18. TheZack says:

But but but, how can the Yankees use their secret weapon, the “extra long 7th inning stretch” to their advantage anymore?

Good riddance, now if we can just go back to good old “Take Me Out To the Ballgame”…

19. Let’s just play “America, FUCK YEAH!” instead.

20. sarge-in-fla says:

the song does not belong, and neither does he!

21. sarge-in-fla says:

in a recent poll, 46% of those polled claimed the yankees as america’s team. if tynan feels he cannot represent all americans, he belongs “out the door” permanently.

22. Drew says:

Tynan was my boy. I used to love when he sang GBA but now it’s different. Just another douche with a good voice
    Shit ain’t cool.

23. Joey says:

Replacement found:

(different song, I know)

24. Jeremy says:

Now if only we could unearth some evidence that Kate Smith was an anti-semite so we wouldn’t have to hear her either.

25. crapulent aka I said good day sir says:

The old “some of my best friends are…” usually means racist/anti-semite. Some of my best friends are conservatives but that doesn’t mean I like conservatives (or don’t have some kind of prejudice against conservatives who are NOT my friends). It’s like you managed to overcome something I inherently dislike about people like you but that doesn’t mean I like the rest of them. Because I don’t. So that old “some of my best friends” is just total crap.

• Drew says:

I don’t think generally that that excuse is total crap. In this instance, it is total crap.

Imagine if he said, “I don’t care if they are Red Sox fans, as long as they aren’t black.”

That shit don’t fly with anyone, I don’t care if your best bud is black. When you say that shit candidly you deserve all the repercussions. Hell should rain down on that motherfucker IMO.

• Jeremy says:

Any intelligent person should try to go through life without ever saying “Some of my best friends are …” That, and “It’s not what it looks like.”

26. slappy white says:

thats funny she didnt look druish

27. dch says:

I know plenty of people who only speak in political correct language, but when you have a conversation and something comes up they will say stuff “All the blacks have is welfare, you can’t cut it back” or ” You can’t expect blacks to act responsible”-actual comments I have heard from extreme lefties and real racist language.

Conversely, I know people who drop the N word,make fun of peoples ethnicities,color, etc and don’t have a racist bone in their body.

You weren’t there, you didn’t hear what he said, how he said it, the tone, rhythm, his facial expressions, and even if he did say what was claimed-so frigging what?

• (thinks about responding to this)

Nah, not worth it.

• You guys really need to get a life and a firmer grip on reality. It is because of people like you that the words racist, anti-semite, fascist, etc, etc -really don’t mean anything anymore.

People like me? As in someone’s who’s Jewish who heard what Tynan said and then heard him admit to saying it?

What you’re saying is that it’s ok to be racist in private. Dropping the N word, as you put it, is on its face racist. Or else you don’t understand the history of the word.

I wasn’t there, but I know what anti-Semitism is, and this is it.

28. dch says:

Arafat, Hitler, Reverend Wright……Tynan-got it all anti-semitites.

What matters in not what is said, but the “intent” behind it. The analysis that you guys are engaging is superficial. You can say a word or phrase and it could be either an insult, sarcastic ,a lie ironic, smart ass comment, a greeting, a joke, a compliment, etc, etc-what defines the words are the meaning behind it, the setting, the tone-do you really want to deny this?

29. Moose Man 12 says:

Ben, while you raise a legitimate point, lets relax a little bit buddy.

Tynan was a very important part of Yankee/New York lore during some of the most difficult times this city every experienced. Everyone loved when Roman would “do his thing” up until 5 minutes ago.

Lets not overreact to some remarks which seemed clearly sarcastic (lets not forget that Roman is hardcore Irish Catholic and has probably been surrounded by people making prejudicial/sarcastic comments about other religions or nationalities his whole life).

I can appreciate that you are particularly sensitive to anti-semitic remarks (and we all should be), but too cast away Roman as if he’s a no good piece of shit due to some “off the cuff” remarks made to a real estate agent, is beyond absurb.

I’m sure we all said some things that we regret. Lets not excommunicate a valued member of our 7th inning stretch due to the purported “shock and awe” of a random nobody.

30. Marsha says:

And lest we forget, God Bless America was written by Irving Berlin, a Jew. Guess Ronan Tynan forgot that little detail.

31. Greg F. says:

I’m Jewish and I could see it being funny if it were a friend of mine. It was like his landlord was playing with him, and he just played back. Jews are the butts of a lot of jokes, it is what it is.

32. Nimzo says:

I’m tired of everybody in this country being so PC. Everybody is so sensitive, and nobody has a sense of humor anymore. The truth is that all of us have some prejudiced views about certain groups, and if we say we don’t we are lying. Most of our prejudiced view have some measure of truth in them, even though they should not be applied to every individual. Expecting everyone to be PC all the time is the equivalent of Big Brother’s Thought Police.

33. OM11 says:

If it were the other way around, a Jewish singer saying “as long as they are not catholic”, catholic heads would be going crazy over it. Ronan Tynan is an idiot, he is anti-semitic and he was rightfully fired from his GBA job.

PS: Why the hell is an Irish guy singing songs about America anyway?

• Nimzo says:

As a Catholic, I hear anti-Catholic comments all the time, but that seems more acceptable than making anti-semetic, anti-gay, or anti-black comments. It also seems that making anti-fundamentalist Christian, or anti-conservative comments is just fine, as well. It doesn’t really bother me, because unlike most members of these “protected groups”, I have a sense of humor. What annoys me is the double standard.

34. [...] Tynan, who lost his gig singing “God Bless America” at Yankee home playoff games after making an anti-Semitic remark in October.  Tynan,  who was dubbed “The Misery Tenor” by his friends because [...]

35. OMFG says:

Tynan doesn’t represent me and I am Irish-American! He is a super ego and I am glad he is gone, I couldn’t stand that drone of his anyway! He is not at all religious as I overheard him state to some “fans”, yet plays that card if it suits him. He will say publically anything he thinks people want to hear but in more intimate situations, like this “jewish” slur, his mouth speaks what is in his heart. He is a class A jerk and always has been.

36. TheZack says:

Wait, this can’t be serious, can it?