Oct

Waiting for Pavano

Ken Davidoff hit the nail on the head yesterday when he called Carl Pavano a symbol of the Yanks’ recent failures. In discussing the way the Yankees felt about Pavano, the $40 million man who made 26 starts over four years, and the approach to team-building during the latter part of the Torre Era, Davidoff called out the Yanks.

“The truth lies,” he writes, “not in choosing sides among friends-turned-enemies Cashman and Torre but in understanding what Pavano and his $39.95-million heist represented: a haphazard period during Cashman’s reign in which personnel decisions were driven by haste, emotions and a lack of appreciation for old-school background checks and new-wave statistical analysis.”

Davidoff notes how the Yanks of 2004 are a seemingly far cry from the Yanks of both the mid-1990s and this season. “If the Yankees had conducted better research on Pavano, perhaps they would’ve learned of a) his surliness; b) his stupidity; c) his bouts with apathy; and, most important, d) how the batting average on balls in play (BABiP) from his standout 2004 season – matched against his line-drive percentage that year – indicated that his numbers were boosted by luck,” he notes.

Baseball, it seems, is not without its dark sense of humor. In three hours, the Twins will put their season into the hands of one Carl Pavano and the Yanks will look to move on to the ALCS for the first time since signing Pavano. During the media gaggle yesterday, the Yankees danced around the topic of Pavano.

“He worked extremely hard and he tried the best he could,” Brian Cashman said. “Unfortunately too many times I’d get that phone call that we had a problem and it was one that needed to be surgically fixed, or required a lot of time to allow the healing process to take place.”

Current and former Yankees — Mike Mussina, in particular — were not afraid to criticize Carl, but this week, the attacks have been muted. The team knows not to get too far ahead of themselves, but how can they not think of sore buttocks, car crashes, broken ribs and arm surgery as they face off against a player who somehow made 33 starts this year and won 14 games, five more than during his entire Bronx tenure?

Maybe Carl can provide the Twins with a reprieve for a day, but the Yankees will be itching to put Pavano behind them today. No matter the outcome, it will be fitting to see him take the hill later today against the Yanks in a potential clinching game. Expected to lead them to this point, he did simply by not being here any longer.

Categories : Playoffs

1. Dela G says:

no offense and maybe too strong, but pavano can rot in baseball hell for the shenanigans he pulled while a yankee

2. ashish says:

any of you guys watching the sox-angels game? papelbon just blew the save! they were leading 6-4 with 2 outs and no one on and now its 7-6 and pepelbon’s out of the game.

3. Quikksand says:

I hate pavano! GO YANKEES

4. Joey H says:

You had to know it was going to come down to this.

5. Riddering says:

I just want the Yankees to win this game–

On a pinch-hit grand slam from Mussina off of Pavano!

6. Drew says:

After we crush Pavano tonight, my spiteful side would like to see some verbal jabs at him from his former teammates.

7. Kiersten says:

C’mon Karma, don’t fail me now…

8. Mike Pop says:

I just want a blowout.

No close game to get me all nervous. We can save those for the Angels series.

9. Greg G. says:

…among friends-turned-enemies Cashman and Torre…

Doesn’t this seem a bit overdramatic?

10. Mike Nitabach says:

The Yankees bats must be absolutely salivating in anticipation of Pavano on the mound tonight! BLAMMO!!!

11. Ken says:

Papelbum Chokes!!!!! Priceless!!!! The Red Sox are finished!!!!!!!! The Red Sox are back to being the Red Sox. The curse of Manny has replaced the curse of the Bambino. I thought I was watching game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

12. steve s says:

I think the story about Pavano that best sums up what a bad guy he is, is that he fired his agent when he found out his Yankee deal was $50,000 short of $40M. He should have been naming his first born after his agent!

• Kiersten says:

Now I’ve never seen anything close to that kind of money in my entire life, but I’d like to think that if I were in his position I would feel guilty stealing from the Yankees like that. The least the guy could have done was donated it to charity of something.

13. Pasqua says:

Remember when Pavano took a liner off of his head very early-on in 2005 and then MADE his next start? I remember thinking, “That shows you something.”

And then that rat bastard kid started stealing. Get off my lawn, Pavano.

14. Russ says:

I can’t escape the feeling that Pavano managed to beat the system yet again.

Somehow Listless Carl managed to pitch just well enough to impress potential free agent suitors in 2010, and just poorly enough to end the Twins season. It just seems a little bit too convenient.