Oct

Yanks choose A series, announce ALDS rotation

Following their afternoon workout today, the Yankees announced that they would be taking the longer ALDS series. Game 1 will officially be at 6:07 p.m. on Wednesday, and Game 2 will start at the same time on Friday. At some point soon, MLB will update the ALDS schedule with info about Games 3, 4 and 5.

The Yankees have also announced their rotation for the first three games. CC Sabathia will start tomorrow night followed by A.J. Burnett and then Andy Pettitte. In other words, Jose Molina could catch two games in the ALDS, but I believe that Posada would be behind the plate in a potential Game 5. Brian Bruney, meanwhile, did not make the roster. He’ll stay fresh for the ALCS with Ramiro Peña and Sergio Mitre in Tampa. Phil Coke, David Robertson, Chad Gaudin, Joba Chamberlain, Alfredo Aceves, Phil Hughes and Mariano Rivera will make up the bullpen, and Hideki Matsui will DH when Molina catches. Damaso Marte will make the roster if the Yanks end up facing the Twins and their left-handers. Otherwise, we expect Freddy Guzman to come off the bench.

Categories : Asides, Playoffs

1. Free Mike Vick says:

Why is Sergio Mitre’s name still coming out of peoples mouths? i mean really….

anyway…AJ had to start game 2. It was a no brainer, IMO.

and it looks like Joba will be the 7th inning man.

2. Moshe Mandel says:

You left out Aceves. Also, where did you hear about Coke, Gaudin, and Marte? They have not said they are carrying 11 pitchers, have they?

3. hal says:

so much for Andy in G2….

4. stuart says:

wow, cervelli makes it. they are going with 3 catchers.. burnett better get it done with his catcher BS…

bruney not on for the first series, right move but wow….

5. Drew says:

So what’s the roster?
    Is Guzman in?

6. NHYankee62 says:

Two absolutely terrible moves by Girardi:

1. Having the unreliable Burnett start game 2 and a potential game 5!

2. Having Molina catch Burnett instead of Posada.

One of the worst managers in baseball. Makes me wish we had Torre back and I couldn’t stand Joey Four Rings!

• JobaWockeeZ says:

With Torre the Yanks could easily win every game.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Burnett has been better than Pettitte at home, Pettitte has been better away. Makes sense to me.

• This is quite the overreaction. I mean, based on what you’re saying, why bother even playing the games? Let’s just forfeit the ALDS and end the season today.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh and prove that it was 100 percent Girardi’s decision not influenced by AJ, Posada or Molina before ranting about him.

• pat says:

Right, this guy was named Manager of the Year in 2006 and Joe Schmoe Yankee fan in New Hampshire knows more than him. Riiiiiight.

• Mister Delaware says:

I love Burnett versus Verlander. Nothing would suck more than a 2-1 or 1-0 loss in Game 1, in essense “wasting” Sabathia and Burnett has a much better chance of matching zeros than Pettitte. If he blows up, fine, better to do that against Verlander than Jackson or Porcello. Worked out nicely for us, I’d say.

7. yankeegirl49 says:

What exactly is Sergio Mitre “staying fresh” for????

8. Hi, I'm Jerry, this is my associate Cornelius says:

I’m with Posada….The Yankees better win that game.

9. rbizzler says:

I like AJ in game 2 but am loathe to see Molina behind the plate twice in a short series. Splitting the lefties is a good move and we know that Andy has the chops to pitch on the road in a hostile environment.

10. Free Mike Vick says:

i would take Marte over Coke…but i understand Coke has been here all year. i would just trust Marte over Coke.

11. Guest says:

Jose. Molina. Can’t. Start. Game. Five.

(But I didn’t think he could start game 2 either, so I guess we will have to see).

12. Drew says:

Our roster still isn’t finalized (Damaso?) and we play tomorrow. If tonight’s game wasn’t inside and we ran the risk of a rain delay then the Yanks would be screwed. Baseball needs to fix this now.

• Lanny says:

Why? Relax. Most teams would love all this time to make personnel decisions.

• Drew says:

You’re telling me the Yanks would love to make their final decision on a guy like Marte less then 24 hours before they play the first post season game? Let alone that pitchers and catchers gameplan for a team they are playing. Right now is CC game planning for Mauer or Miggy? You may not think it’s a big deal but I disagree.

13. Jordan says:

As much as I don’t want to see Justin Verlander, I really am scared to see Phil Coke come in 2 on 2 out vs. Mauer in the 7th inning of a tight game and I just don’t see Girardi going to Marte in that situation unless somehow Coke was already used.

Either way, Girardi’s over-managing is the one thing that scares me, especially now with Molina starting atleast 1 game and Cervelli on the roster. If not for that, this team can and should steam roll through the first round, regardless of who they face.

14. hal says:

Gotta love it, the Yanks win 103 games, coast to the division title, and are playing a team they dominated during the season in the ALDS, and we still have drama….

15. cr1 says:

I understand why AJ at home and AP away, but it makes the whole Molina scenario even more disturbing. It is really hard to believe that Girardi contemplates his doing 40% of the catching in a 5-game series.

Maybe he’s counting on our taking it in three?

16. pat says:

Wow I just realized this…
    Mauer vs Coke: 3/4 2HR
    Mauer vs Marte: 2/9 1 double.

Eek.

17. Chris says:

I’m probably in the minority on this but I actually preferred the 7-day series mainly because the team hasn’t had a meaningful game in a week and a half and will now be having yet another day off after Game 1, so, hopefully, the bats won’t cool off. Either way works, though. Especially for bullpen purposes.

18. Patch says:

“Hideki Matsui will DH when Molina catches.”

You mean when Posada catches, right?

19. Mister Delaware says:

I’d be happier with Cervelli catching Burnett. Atleast you’d only carry 2 catchers (having him stay in to hit after Burnett exits isn’t half the sin it would be with Molina) and you could bring both the 2nd righty and Guzman.

• steve (different one) says:

yes, let’s start a rookie catcher in the playoffs so we can carry an extra pinch runner.

can we have a little perspective here??

20. cr1 says:

I have to get my mind off this. Let’s see if that l63rd game can do it.

21. yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

The Tigers Vs Twins Starts at 5 ?

22. Wes says:

How do you take Guzman over Pena?
    Guzman has speed, but hasn’t impressed me at all.
    Pena deserves to be there. He’s not slow, you know. Nino can run too.

• Lanny says:

Who would Pena come in for besides pinch running?

Obv Pena is better and more well rounded but Guzman is there because he has an elite skill.

• Jones says:

Guzman is fast, which is his skill, but I don’t see him getting good jumps to steal. Thats the only thing I don’t like. Pena is deserving, but neither one is going to get any playing time at all. I would of picked Pena over Guzman originally, but now it makes sense. Its a wasted space if Pena is on the PO roster, its wasting talent. send him to Tampa(which is what they’re doing now) & keep him fresh.

• MC says:

Pena is better, & more deserving, but that has nothing to do with why hes not on the PO roster. Guzman is in because Girardi loves speed.

23. BC says:

Pena was definitely more deserving because of what he’s done this year for us but in the Playoffs, the only way either Pena or Guzman gets in is a late inning pinch runner for Posada, Matsui, or Teixeira. The game would have to be very very late in the game either the 8th or 9th and the runner would have to be like the tying run or go ahead run. They wouldn’t put Pena or Guzman in as a defensive substitution, they would want to hide whoever they put in the game, and it would be easier to hide Guzman in the outfield then it would be to hide Pena in the outfield.

24. Chris says:

And where did this info come from?

Pena not making it is not a big deal. Arod, Jeter and Cano are not coming out of any of these games unless they get hurt. If they do Joe G would go with the vet,Hairston.

25. [...] sure who they were going to face in the ALDS coming into the week, but they went ahead and chose the longer series anyway. Once the Twins beat the Tigers in Game 163 Tuesday night, the Yanks finally knew [...]