Nov

A nice day for parade

It’s a beautiful November day in New York City. The skies are clear blue, and the temperatures are hovering in the upper 40s. You couldn’t ask for a nicer day for a parade. So let’s have one.

In honor of your 2009 World Series Champions, the City of New York is hosting a ticker tape parade through the Canyon of Heroes in Lower Manhattan. The march toward City Hall starts at 11 a.m. and ends at around 12:30 p.m. when the Mayor will present the Yanks with keys to the city. While an estimated 500,000-1 million fans will turn out for the celebration downtown, many of us have to go to school or work. Fear not though for the parade is being broadcast live for free online via MLB.com. The YES Network and MLB Network will be carrying it live, and the city’s local news stations should be as well.

So for those of you watching at home, those of you furtively catching glimpses of the parade will in your cubicle, those of you in class, this thread’s for you. Toast the team; cheer the World Series victory; and bask in the glow of winning after a nine-year wait. For us Yankee fans, it seemed to be an eternity.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Frank1979 says:

I know this might be a stupid question, but in order to watch it online on mlb.com do I have to sign up and pay for it? Or is mlb.com broadcasting it for free?

• Free. I updated the post to reflect that, but had you simply clicked over to MLB.com, you would have learned that yourself! :)

• Frank1979 says:

Thanks Ben!…Sorry, I’m stuck at work (like I know many others are today)and busy doing some other stuff…I just didn’t want to go over to mlb.com only to get disappointed if I found out I had fill out forms and fork over some money.

Like I said, I knew it might be a stupid question!

2. Salty Buggah says:

Fuck yeah! Parade time!

Does anyone think there will be the parade video on mlb.com later? My internet chose today to be crappy. Do you think the parade video will be in its completion?

3. Raf says:

damn work. hopefully i can get it to stream in the office but they arent too good about these kind of things.

4. jsbrendog says:

why are these jagons talking about umpiring over the parade? i wanna hear people screaming and yelling and bands playing not hear two jackoffasaurs pontificate on lameness

5. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I hope MLB gives simultaneous shots of Boston, Anaheim, Minnesota, Philly, Colorado, Los Angeles and St. Louis’ parade routes too.

6. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Hideki Matsui and Paul Blart.

7. David71 says:

Did you see that amazing Yankees laptop on set at the beginning of the broadcast?!! I MUST GET ONE! Anyone know where I can buy?

8. Salty Buggah says:

I watching mlb.com right now and the guys are talking with callers about the Yanks about next year. One guy called in to say how the Yanks should keep Nady. He said how he’s a great hitter (he’s good) and how he’s exceptional defensively (no way). He wanted him over Swish. Another called in to say how we should move Melky to left and get a CFer. When asked who, he said Hunter.

9. Frank1979 says:

I love how Matsui is wearing a white dress shirt and an suit jacket. He looks like he’s posing for some really nice whiskey advertisement like Bill Murray in Lost in Translation. So classy…

I really hope they bring him back for another year.

10. Thomas says:

Jay-Z and A-Rod together. Maybe they’ll break out a duet of Sucka Got No Juice!

11. Joe D. says:

Awesome team.

Fantastic season.

I’m hoping for a parade walk-off.

Who gets pie?

12. Kevin says:

Wish these jackbags would shut up and let us enjoy the parade. Yes should be broadcasting this.

13. Stryker says:

HAHAHAHAHA OF COURSE they have burnett and molina on the same float

14. gxpanos says:

Have we talked about Robertson’s wife yet? Damn!

Also, LOVE Cervelli’s suit. He thinks he’s at the NFL Draft, not a November parade.

15. Jackson says:

David Robertson has a hot wife

16. CountryClub says:

If you guys arent liking the MLB feed, try this one from ABC:

17. crapula says:

Robbie: too lazy to put on a sweatshirt

18. crapula says:

YES is the only station going to commercials. Odd.

19. crapula says:

The announcers don’t know that Melky doesn’t speak English.

Channel 4 announcer: “I’m told they have a tee shirt that says Got Melk?”

what dumbasses

20. crapula says:

Melky looks gangsta with that hat and coat. Like Tony Soprano gangsta.

21. Jackson says:

I’m just throwing this out there, I hate the term ‘core four’

22. jsbrendog says:

so since this is tagged as “open thread”

twins trade carlos gomez to brewcrew for jj hardy. so cameron will be out there for sure…just sayin….

23. Will says:

Ugh, ABC’s coverage is terrible.

24. Ivan says:

Man I wish I was there. Fucking school lol.

25. CountryClub says:

Minka on Jeter’s float; she’s low key though. His parents are on there too.

26. Stryker says:

no hughes, cashman or bruney?

27. jsbrendog says:

no one cares what 2 jagons on mlb.com who dont even know who is on these floats thinks about joba.

well, he wants to be a starter, he really desperately does, really bad, but i think he is a bullpen guy.

my god i hate these guys.

and the other guy’s response, “he is the heir apparent” ugh.

28. MikeD says:

No disrespect to YES, but I’m digging the parade more on MLB Network. They have have better audio. You can hear the crowd noise much better.

29. Riddering says:

This team is a pretty good-looking group in their Sunday clothes, yo.

30. JobaWockeeZ says:

No school for NJ people! Teachers convention for all of the state. but I can’t make it to the parade regardless. :(

31. Will says:

I like pretty much anybody who pronounces The Bronx as “Da Bwonx”.

32. Will says:

Here’s something mind-numbing for everyone:

33. dkidd says:

hope everyone is having a great time

take lots of pictures!

34. jsbrendog says:

angel berroa, jose veras, cody rancosom, kevin cash get ws rings. wow.

35. dkidd says:

officially sick of the term “core four”

36. Salty Buggah says:

Freddy Guzman. Bouncing around AA/AAA to World Champion. Awesome luck.

37. Marsha says:

I am in Florida with no TV coverage and an ancient iMac. :(

38. Will says:

never knew swisher was going out with joanna gracia!

on a sidenote, the mlb.com guys are awful. They seriously think that the yanks will try for lackey.

39. Peedlum says:

these announcers are awful, awful, awful. The following are actual, though slightly approximated since I don’t type that fast, quotes (most of the awful ones are from Brenda, who if I remember right is Brenda Russell) from about 30 minutes in.

“Oh here comes A-Rod–oh wait, that’s Reggie Jackson.”

“One of the big hitting stars of the World Series, Mark Teixeira.”

“There’s Jay-Z!” (No mention of A-Rod, and I think Burnett, Cervelli or the other 3 guys on there I can’t make out because of the crappy video quality).

“There you see a small fire, where some of the ticker tape caught fire–this also happened in 1990″.

Really? I wasn’t aware that NY held a parade for the Cincinatti Reds. . . .

“Jorge Posada–we learned about him when his wife was on Good Day NY, he likes to eat pasta the night before, carb load and he doesn’t get a restful sleep the night before games, he talks in his sleep, punches things around, he yells at the umpire.”

They have an umpire in there?

Right after that “Oh and who’s that there with his kids” other announcer with mild contempt “Jorge.”

“They’re giving the fans the finger up-number 1.”

uhhhhhh. . . .that has many possible bad meanings.

“We just saw Derek Jeter. He didn’t look too old, he looked really happy, smiling at all these people.”

“CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira there. We could call that float the free agent float because all of them became free agents this year. ”

Other announcer “Should be a very interesting off-season to see if they come back”.

“I don’t know much about baseball, but people keep coming up with names and statistics and things, that must mean the Yankees had a heck of a year here.”

other announcer: “They did have a good year–they won the world championship.”

They are interviewing the sanitation workers cleaning up: “How long are you guys going to be here”
    “Till 5 or 6″
    “That’s it?!?”
    “Yeah, they won’t pay us for more.”

“You can tell the Jersey spirit in these Yankee floats.”

Does she think they play in Jersey?

I had to go get some breakfast before the city hall ceremony, so I missed the in between part which probably had some gems.

40. These guys on MLB.TV must be joking, no?? They basically said that was Wang fault that foot injury back to 2008 because he is a professional athlete and that can’t happens….can someone shut these guys up ?

41. Will says:

Suzyn sounds like Kathy Griffin. It scared me.

42. Aaron S. says:

Who selected the music during the key ceremony? I mean, really?

43. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Venga Bus?

Come on.

44. crapula says:

The audio on all the stations sucks and the 6 Flags song is driving me nuts.

45. Tom T says:

Must…. kill… self….

REALLY? 30 minutes of VEnga bus on repeat?!

46. crapula says:

Yankee security is MIA…that must be comforting.

47. Aaron S. says:

Who are these “Keepers of the Pinstripes”?

48. henry frisch says:

Let me say, I have been going to parades for decades. I vividly remember the 1962 parade for John Glenn. I went to two Yankee parades at the end of the 90′s. But never have I experienced such a lousy, disorganized, downright dangerous parade. Bloomberg really screwed this up. In the past you went wherever you wanted. Today people were forced sardine style into the side streets so deep that one person near me got to say, “It was the worst parade I never saw”.Also, where was the shredded paper? Whole toilet paper rolls struck people in the head, and that was it for paper. I don’t think I’ll go to any more parades organized by $100 million Mike. He sure knows how to put the wrong cap on a great season.

49. Dante says:

Venga Bus on repeat? Are you F’N kidding me? That was brutal. Also a message to Jay-Z… You CANNOT make the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can you pompous ass. I think Millions of people worldwide are proving that right now.

50. Al from BX says:

The parade was awesome and I had so much fun!! Ok Shelley, exchange numbers with your manager now!!!!!

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!!

51. Dante says:

Exactly! That part of the song is especially blasphemous. What an arrogant bastard. I was really hoping one of the players would say “Sorry pal, but you can’t make this hat more famous than us.” I think the fans might have booed when he said it but my ears were still burning from that painful Venga Bus overdose

52. Dorian says:

Girardi decided to keep Molina with Burnett on full rest.

53. Tom Zig says:

I was at the parade and was able to see most of the players

Players I didn’t see:

A-rod
    AJ Burnett
    Pretty much the entire bullpen minus Joba, Mo, and Coke

Anyone see these guys?

• TheLastClown says:

Joba’s warming up for the 8th

Coke’s at work, those chimneys don’t sweep themselves you know!

Mo? Well Mo only takes physical form from the beginning of Spring Training until the WS is over. He’s all around you now, as a soft, warm light.

54. TheLastClown says:

Hey, has anyone seen Joe Posnanski’s screed on the Yankees and his distaste with, guess what? Hold for it….the payroll!!

To be fair, he does warn us Yankees fans away, but I had to give it a read, as I usually enjoy his work.

I like how he says that “dominance doesn’t look like dominance in baseball.”

Didn’t you guys know? We’ve totally dominated baseball since 1995!!

Congrats you guys on watching our 15th consecutive World Series Championship! I guess it’s getting a little boring, winning every year, although it’s fun to see the kids in RBI getting Jeter’s throwaway rings, I mean the guy’s only got so many fingers…

But seriously, he *Joe Pos* seems to be a bit blinded by anger. He bemoans the payrolls since 2002, and calls the game rigged. Then says that even though the Yankees didn’t win from then *2002* to now, that there’s been no real competition for them, that they just smother other teams with money.

Unfortunately, the Yankees did NOT have the highest payroll in 1998, the most dominant year of the dynastic 4. Even when they had the highest, the payroll parity was much greater during the late ’90s when they were winning.

The article, to me, somehow diminishes the glory of the D’Backs, Angels, Marlins, Red Sox, White Sox, Cards, Red Sox again, and Phillies *throw the Rays in too*.

“Hey all you other teams, enjoy your statistical outlier victories while you can, because such is the nature of baseball, but the great and powerful Oz has & will come again to smite you down with the awesome cudgel of capital!!”

He admits that the framework of baseball, combined with the short series playoffs, creates even enough variance to keep him interested. He admits that it’s very probable, and even likely, for other teams to win besides the Yankees. And yet, when the Yankees win, it makes him want to throw up to hear that they didn’t listen to the doubters. As if there weren’t enough doubters all year long. As if it was automatic that AJ Burnett pitches well, Andy doesn’t get hurt & preforms all year. As if we didn’t have a talented homegrown youth core that more than pulled its weight this year. Remember when Jorge & Molina went down & we were starting Cervelli with Cash in reserve? *hehe I like puns*

How many people credited the turnaround & surge this year to Hughes in the BP? I’ve heard it more times than I’d like to remember.

How great would it be if Jim Pohlad decided to use a bit more of that $2B+ net worth to make the Twins the Yankees of the central division? I would love to see something like that, just to watch the cognitive dissonance erupt across baseball-writerdom.

Eh, I’m done ranting. Hope it made sense.

55. ansky says:

Saw the parade on TV and it looked pretty awesome. However, can someone tell me why Suzyn kept yelling into the microphone? That was BRUTAL on TV. I thought we had signed Roger Clemens again or something.