Nov

Bailey, Coghlan named Rookies of the Year

New Jersey product and Oakland Athletic Andrew Bailey was named the AL Rookie of the Year this afternoon, while Chris Coghlan of the Marlins took home NL honors. Bailey took over the closer’s job after Huston Street was dealt and posted a ridiculous 238 ERA+ with a 0.88 WHIP. Coghlan hit .321 and led the majors with 113 hits in the second half.

Elvis Andrus and Rick Porcello came in second and third, respectively, in the Junior Circuit while J.A. Happ trailed behind Coghlan in the NL voting. None of the Yanks’ rooks – Brett Gardner, Al Aceves, etc – took home any votes.

Categories : Asides

1. Doug says:

but let’s predict which rookie has the best major league career

AL: Anderson (with Beckham a close 2nd)
    NL: Rasmus (with McCutchen a close 2nd; fyi, I think Hanson has major injury before turning 30)

2. bonestock94 says:

Wow, I thought it would be Happ or Hanson in the NL. In the AL I couldn’t really tell.

3. Chris says:

Can anyone make a reasonable case as to how Porcello would be ahead of Niemann? I know it has no impact on who wins, but I just don’t understand voting Porcello ahead of Niemann – and at least 10 voters did.

• DP says:

Because Porcello was more important to a team in the playoff hunt. Not that I agree, but that’s probably why.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

I know this shouldn’t matter, but Neimann is like 25 and Porcello is 20. He was inconsistent (as one would expect), but considering his age/lack of experience, what he did was every bit, if not more impressive than what Neimann put up.

• Ed says:

Unless I’m missing something, their two seasons look really, really similar. Porcello pitched more innings, Niemann had more K’s. Near identical ERAs and WHIPs, identical walk totals. Based on stats, I don’t think you can say either was significantly better than the other.

That said, Porcello doing what he did at age 20, only one season removed from high school and never having played above A ball before, is more impressive than Niemann doing what he did at age 26 after playing in college and working his way through the entire minor league system.

• ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

Niemann coming back from a potentially career-ending injury the way he did is pretty impressive, too.

• Bo says:

You make it sound like Niemann was so far and away better than Porcello. He wasnt.

Pitching in a pennant race is more important than playing out the string. its not all about peripheral stats.

• Ed says:

Huh? What did I say that could make you think I thought Niemann was better than Porcello?

I even said “Based on stats, I don’t think you can say either was significantly better than the other.”

4. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Wow. Chris Coghlan wasn’t named on 7 ballots and still won.

5. Rose says:

Ask Eric Hinske how significant this award is…or better yet…Angel Borroa lol

Borroa has to be up there for worst post-ROY career…no?

• ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

His career was so bad, people forget how to write his name six years after winning the award.

• vin says:

IMO, 3 worst ROTYs since 1990:

Angel Berroa, Ben Grieve, and Pat Listach in the AL

Scott Williamson, Jason Jennings, Todd Hollandsworth in the NL

The NL has definitely been stronger.

• A.D. says:

Man some of the AL is just bad:

Bobby Crosby, I dunno whats worse, his career or the fact he won the rookie of the year with a 93 OPS+, which was mainly all due to the 22 HRs, which no one knows how he accomplished that.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Just wait until he wins it.

• Chris says:

You also need to look at who should have won in those years that makes them such a bad pick. Matsui was certainly better than Berroa in 2003.

In 1998, who should have won instead of Ben Grieve? El Duque would be the only reasonable choice, but he only pitched 141 innings, so I can understand choosing Grieve over him.

In 1992, it was basically a coin flip between Listach and Lofton. You have a light hitting fast SS vs a light hitting fast CF. Lofton has a slight edge in most of the available stats, but without an idea of how their defense was perceived I don’t know that I would consider it a horrible pick.

• Ed says:

As much as I don’t want to, I’m going to disagree with that. Their offensive seasons were pretty similar. The biggest differences were Matsui having more runs and RBIs, but those are things you’d expect to see when comparing a player on a World Series team to a player on a mediocre team. Factor in that Berroa played SS while Matsui played LF and Berroa probably did belong on top.

6. gxpanos says:

I like the Bailey pick, even if Andrus’s WAR was better. Andrus just can’t hit, and his home/road splits show that the 82 OPS+ was inflated (as low as it was). I’d probably go with Hanson in the NL over Coughlan.

Man, looking at Happ and Porcello, their peripherals dont predict a lot of success in their careers. I remember being unimpressed with both when they pitched, as opposed to Hanson, and the stats certainly bear it out. Mid-rotation guys at best.

• DP says:

To Porcello’s credit- he’s still not legal drinking age, and most in his position would’ve spent last year in AA.

• gxpanos says:

True,true. I was probably a bit hasty on Rick. I should really look at his last five starts before judging him.

(Seriously though, you’re right. Too early to tell with him.)

• Riddle says:

Porcello should also get some credit for the Grade-A tackle of Kevin Youkilis. IMO, that’s deserving of a few votes right there…

7. arosen15 says:

not worse then Joe Charboneau!

8. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Now that the 2009 ROY awards have been given out, it’s time to start polishing Jesus Montero’s ROY award for 2011, screw 2010.

9. reggie c. says:

Pedro Alvarez will win 2010 NL ROY.

AL is more wide open. Adam Tillman perhaps.

• Will says:

you mean Chris Tillman?
      If strasburg breaks camp with the Nats, he’ll probably win it. Or Heyward/posey

I’ll go with smoak in the AL.

10. jsbrendog says:

i can’t believe i went to college with the roy. it’s crazy because my school sucked at baseball….it’s not like i went to some school in the CWS every year (or ever)

11. Tony says:

Both played key roles for my championship fantasy team.