2009 Season Record: 103-59 (915 RS, 753 RA), won AL East by 8 games, finished with the best record in MLB by 6 games, won 27th World Series
Top stories from last week:
- The biggest news during a slow week in Yankeeland involved seven prospects being added to the 40-man roster, including Austin Jackson. Shelley Duncan was outrighted to make room on the roster, and he indicated that he’ll elect to become a free agent rather than accept a minor league assignment. The Yanks also declined their option on Sergio Mitre, though he remains with the club and is arbitration eligible.
- And now on to the Roy Halladay portion of the FCP. The Jays may allow a window to negotiate an extension with the righthander prior to a trade, and Jon Heyman says the Yanks have a reason to believe they can land him. The Yanks have a history of bringing in big time pitchers, though this offseason may be different.
- Chien-Ming Wang said his first choice is to remain with the Yankees, although the Dodgers are also a possibility. The team might go after some relievers to shore up their pitching staff. Meanwhile, they still haven’t told Joba Chamberlain what his role will be in 2010.
- Word got out that the Yanks had made Nick Swisher available in a trade, although the team denied it, unsurprisingly.
- Cuban southpaw Aroldis Chapman changed agents, and is now represented by the Hendricks Brothers, who also rep Andy Pettitte.
- CC Sabathia finished fourth in the Cy Young voting, though he’s up for SI’s Sportsman of the Year award. Meanwhile, Joe Girardi finished third in the Manager of the Year voting, but he was named the March of Dimes Sportsman of the Year. Girardi’s coaching staff remains unsettled, though.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.