Nov

Open Thread: Accessing RAB

At midnight last night, the Hot Stove League officially kicked off it’s season. The 15-day exclusive negotiating window has ended, so free agents are now able to talk to any team about gainful employment. There will be more rumors than you could ever possibly desire, and even though the vast majority of them are either a) bullshit, or b) never going to amount to anything, we’ll still touch on a good portion of them, and definitely all of the Yankee related stuff.

Now is as good a time as any to let our newest readers know all the different ways you can access RAB. If you’ve been around for a while, then consider this a refresher course.

RSS Feeds
Hopefully by now you’re taking advantage of the magic that is really simple syndication, or RSS. If not, that’s cool, but I recommend signing up for something like Google Reader. This site will tell you everything you need to know about using RSS feeds, but in short, you can subscribe to the feed of your favorite sites, and instead of manually visiting each one multiple times a day, the information will be brought right to you as it’s posted, all in one convienent spot.

Our main feed can be found here, but we also have a feed specifically set up for our amateur draft coverage. The main feed will bring you all of RAB’s content, the second is just for draft coverage. As you can imagine, it’s not very active between mid-August and March.

If RSS feeds aren’t your cup of tea, you can get RAB sent right to your inbox. Just stick your email address in the appropriate box to the right (the one that says “Subscribe to RAB via email,” duh), and all of our content will be emailed to you as it’s posted.

Twitter
Has anything changed sports coverage in recent years as much as Twitter? Any breaking news will be posted their first, in 140 characters or less. You can use a (free!) service like Tweet Deck or Echofon to easily follow your friends, favorite sportswriters, celebrities, whoever has a Twitter account.

We have two separate Twitter feeds here. Our main feed is @RiverAveBlues, where the three of us will muse on various topics, post any breaking news, engage in playful banter with readers, stuff like that. It’s worth signing up just to read Ben’s knee-jerk reactions during the games. Our second feed is @RABfeed, which will automatically link to all of our posts as they go up. That’s pretty much all it’s there for, but it’s very useful.

If you want, you can also follow the three of us on our personal accounts: @bkabak, @joepawl, and @mikeaxisa. I can’t promise everything we tweet about will be about the Yankees, or even baseball for that matter, but you won’t regret it.

Facebook
It’s probably our least utilized social media presence, but there’s still over 850 people that are fans of RAB’s Facebook page. I’m not much of a Facebook person myself, but I recommend hitting our page up to connect with fellow Yankee fans.

Contacting Us
If for any reason you want to contact us (maybe you have a question, or a link to a cool story, etc), the best way to do so is to use our little “Submit A Tip” box. You can’t miss it, it’s just to the right of the main column. If you want to tip us off to a trade rumor that we’ve missed, or something like that, please make sure you send us a link. Otherwise it’ll only take us longer to get a thread up about it.

If you want to contact us individually, then just drop us a line. Our addresses are in the far right sidebar. I know I haven’t been the best at replying at a timely manner, but my early New Years resolution is to improve on that.

So, you got all that? There’s a ton of ways you can have RAB’s content brought right to you, but nothing quite duplicates the experience of coming to the site, reading the posts, then debating the topics with our great group of commenters.

* * *

Here’s your open thread for the night, so go ahead and talk about whatever you want. The Isles are the only local team in action, but it’s Friday night, go out and do something you’ll regret in the morning.

1. The Isles are not the only local team in action; Syracuse tips off in like 20 minutes.

2. Salty Buggah says:

2 papers down, 3 to go! 2 by midnight tonight (and I’ve just written the first sentence for one out of these 2). Woohoo! After midnight, time to study for my Economics final.

I wish I could go out and party tonight. Procrastination FTL

• Tom Zig says:

I wish I could go out and party tonight

Samesies…law school has consumed my life.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea. But on the bright side, you get a lot of moolah once you are done.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

That’s not as guaranteed as it once was, Salty.

• Tom Zig says:

Yeah tell me about it, I did the whole, well I just graduated college and the economy is shit, why not go back to school for 3-4 more years?

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

I was an ass hair away from being in the boat with you. I applied to a few schools, got into a few, rejected from a few. It was a toss-up between BLS and Rutgers Newark (much cheaper). And then I thought, “why am I rushing into this?”

Instead, I spent the summer in my pool with Scotch, got a job I’m woefully unqualified for (and really not all that good at, either), paid off my undergrad debt, and am living at home with virtually no expenses (my mom even buys the groceries!).

I’m looking to do the MUP/JD program at BLS and Hunter next Fall, but I’m still unsure if I want to spend that kind of money. I really don’t want crushing debt and an ultra-competitive market to deal with.

If you don’t mind me asking, you’re probably looking at about $120-130 k for LS?

• Salty Buggah says:

I completely lucked out. I only applied to DU, which is super-expensive, and got accepted. When I missed the deadline for some of my other choices, I got a letter saying I got a scholarship. If I didnt get one, I’d be stuck going to community college right now.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

There’s nothing wrong with community college. I also lucked out with a scholarship (they stopped giving them out the year afterward), but if I didn’t, I would have definitely gone that route.

College ultimately is what you make of it. Sure, some are better than others, but really, if you’re interested, have a fair amount of resources, are resourceful and inquisitive yourself, you can certainly excel.

• Hey ZZ says:

120-130 is pretty standard for JUST tuition. But you also have to factor in COL and $500-700 a semester on books

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Yeah, that’s largely why I decided to wait it out. I figure if I’m going to be throwing myself into such a large risk, I might as well have something to soften the blow (a year of work, a little under $50k before taxes. Not great, but not terrible).

• Tom Zig says:

Textbooks alone are 500-600, then you wind up buying supplements which add like another 100-200.

But yeah LS is going to be around 120-130K for tuition…depending on how much they jack up tuition each year.

• Hey ZZ says:

$50K is a lot more than a lot of recent law school graduates right now. I know of a number of recent grads working for free to try to get some experience on their resume. The legal field is a mess right now. Big law firms overextended themselves for years paying over 100 kids right out of school 120-160K every year. Now they are cutting back associate pools 60-70% at some places. The people laid off from these cutbacks and recent grads who used to have no interest in government or other lower paying jobs are now applying for those jobs at record numbers, so basically there is no safe route. The profession will bounce back but in the words of AROD the past 10-15 years has been very “loosey goosey” in terms of guaranteeing insane numbers of first years 160K upon graduation

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

I’m working in urban planning right now with a liberal arts education. I’m totally unqualified, but a good interviewer and a solid researcher. I feel like I’m in over-my-head, so it’s stressful, but it’s engaging work and I like a challenge. But it’s really stressful when you need to learn on the fly.

Regarding the law school part, all of those articles really started popping up right after I took the LSATs and frankly, it scared me a bit. Sure, the market should eventually correct itself, and law school will still be there in one year, two years, ten years, etc.

On a similar note, I have no interest in working big firm; that also means my earning power is limited. Considering the extreme cost, I felt the risk was too great. I hope I made the right decision.

• Hey ZZ says:

If you have interest in a public interest job, working for a non-profit, or a some government jobs find a school with a really good loan repayment assistance program. Often if you work for I believe 10 years in one of these sectors your loan will be forgiven.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea, both of you are right. How about this:

On the bright side, you have a better chance of getting a lot of moolah.

• Suddenly the fact that I dropped out of grad school is less painful to bear.

• Salty Buggah says:

I cant even imagine grad school right now. If its so bad right now…Ugh, I dont even want to think about it.

• Tom Zig says:

why what year are you?

• Salty Buggah says:

1st

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

You have a ways to go on the pain train. My advice: have more “you” time. Be enrolled, go to class every now-and-then, do the homework BUT SPEND MORE TIME GOING OUT AND HAVING FUN.

Seriously. I wish I’d spent much less time studying and doing homework.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea, thats how I felt during HS graduation.

• billbybob says:

If you want to have some fun you could head up to Boulder for the night. I don’t really remember my four years there.

/CU Grad’d

• billbybob says:

Insert “people actually graduate from the Univ. of Colorado Boulder” joke here.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea, that campus is crazy. I’m not sure if it happened but they were supposed to have a naked run on Halloween.

• billbybob says:

Oh it definitely used to happen when I went there, circa 2004. People put hollowed out pumpkins on their head and ran around downtown Boulder. Of course it was mostly dudes, so it really wasn’t that cool.

• Salty Buggah says:

Also, once in the news I heard that the faculty buys alcohol for its students for meetings and clubs. It’s to get more people to attend. I dont remember the number but it was a huge figure that they spent on alcohol every year.

• Esteban says:

Tufts, where I went, has a naked run EVERY year. Guys and girls. BUt alas, the girls are not much to look at.

• Salty Buggah says:

65 words done! Intro/Thesis done! But I still have to get to the minimum of 1500 words, for which I dont think I have enough content to write about.

• Evil Empire says:

Anyone looking for extra income might want to check out what it takes to sell residential / commercial electricity … its rather lucrative.

3. Ellis says:

Any chance in the future of an iPhone-friendly mobile version?

4. JMK aka The Overshare says:

RSS is awesome. I like Bloglines myself.

5. Dude Kevin, there are laws against phoning and driving in this state http://yankees.lhblogs.com/200.....nt-1158357

6. Teix is the Man says:

GO CUSE!

7. DJ says:

The Marlins nd Josh Johnson have reached an impasse in contract extension talks, looks like they want to trade him. It’s going to cost a ton, but I’d go all in for this guy.

8. Salty Buggah says:

I think I can throw a curveball, a shitty one but a curve nonetheless. I threw one 2 nights ago with decent break, not as loopy as a good curve. It was an accidental grip but after looking online on some sites, I had a similar grip to what all of the sites said. I’ve trying to throw it again but its very inconsistent and I have like no control whatsoever. But I feel so proud. I’m going to work on it after finals.

• I discovered back in late July that I can throw a knuckleball. Alas, I may have irreparably damaged my shoulder in the process.

Seriously, I can’t even short hop a ball any more.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea, I know that feeling. I pitched a lot back in March, like 50+ pitches everyday without warming up or anything. Now, I have a hard time picking up or gripping things. It was extremely hard for me to lift weights but I did anyway instead of resting my arm, which probably made it worse. Its better now but still hurts at times. I havent gotten it checked out yet but will soon.

Did any exam or test a doctor took (if you got it checked out) not say what’s wrong with the shoulder?

• I had a doctor look at my other shoulder, which had been bothering me even before that and he said I had damaged cartilege. It’s still soreish.

My throwing shoulder doesn’t hurt unless I try to throw something. Carroll told me it was probably a labrum, but there was about a week there I couldn’t move the arm at all.

9. JM says:

Unless the Yankees make their whole rotation relievers, the Yankees aren’t going anywhere. Having the dominance of CC and AJ plus the others, the Yankees could hold the game to 1 inning! It bewilders me that they don’t do so. Be right back, I am going to cry about cameras.

/Kruk’d

10. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

This is my last post for the night. I’m about to spend my Friday doing nothing but write (NanoWrimo). I’m doing a 10,000 word sprint for five hours to resurrect my word count from the dead.

This will be hell. Wish me luck. It’s the last, desperate hope for an embarassingly flailing story.

11. Evil Empire says:

White Sox close to signing Old Man Vizquel:

This, in a remote and indirect way, could be beneficial for the Yankees. How? Because the Red Sox (or so ESPN says … but this blatant speculation of theirs actually makes some sense) could have gone with Lowrie at SS with Vizquel as a safety net of sorts … at least, as much as a 42 year old with a career sub .700 OPS can be. Anyway, its one less option for Boston to toy around with. Now all we need is for Scutaro to be offered arb.

I mean, I guess as a Yankee fan I shouldn’t be rubbing it in to Boston. Its not like a team with a 36 year old shortstop can win a World Series.

12. OH MY GOD THIS GAME!!!

HELL FUCKING YEAH SYRACUSE KEEP IT GOING

13. Salty Buggah says:

1/3 of the way done with Paper #3 of 5!

14. I’m currently going to a community college in central NJ. I should graduate with Associate’s Degrees in both English and Computer Science next summer, so I really need to start with the whole applying-to-four-year-schools thing. I should graduate with a GPA upwards of 3.80 so I’m hoping to be able to earn merit scholarships.

I’m looking to start as a transfer student and earn my Bachelor’s degree (and eventually my Master’s degree) in English Lit. I will be applying to Rutgers and TCNJ, but I’m interested in looking at colleges in eastern PA or lower NY. Does anyone have any recommendation on good schools for English?

15. Salty Buggah says:

Joe Buck’s twitter: “In Dallas for the Redskins and Cowboys Sunday. Fantasy update – I am 2-8…I am awful at Fantasy Football. Just proves that I know nada

Emphasis mine.

16. Sydney McCartney says:

Wow. YES has a poll up asking who you would rather have in a Yankee uniform: Felix Hernandez, Roy Halladay, John Lackey, or other. Roy Halladay is the top pick with 59% of the vote, and King Felix is second but with only 27% of the vote. How is it not 100% Felix Hernandez?

• Because Felix pitches in Seattle and Halladay in Toronto. Casual fans don’t see Felix nearly as often.

• Tom Zig says:

Because most Yankee fans don’t realize how good Felix Hernandez is. They only know Halladay because he beats the Yankees like 4-5 times a year.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Most people that watch baseball are morons are morons. It is not team-exclusive, either. Have you ever read an ESPN comment board? It’s like Deliverance channeled into HTML, guised as sports-related discussions.

My case, I rest it.

• Sydney McCartney says:

Yeah, I’m well aware that most people are morons. And usually it doesn’t surprise me, but every once in a while I’m astonished by the stupidity of something. And choosing between Roy Halladay and Felix Hernandez is so simple, yet all those people chose Halladay, and I was just stunned a bit by it.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

It is pretty egregious, but as Rebecca and Tom Z. noted above, people are simply more familiar with Halladay and it’s clouded their vision. If they saw what Felix can do 5 starts a year, they’d likely change their opinion. It’s stupid, no doubt. Utterly, totally, reprehensibly stupid. But it’s totally understandable.

Ask most baseball fans who they’d prefer, Darvish or Chapman. I’d bet good money most would say Chapman, but I think Darvish would be the better pick. Their level of exposure to Chapman is just higher, that’s all.

17. I miss DotF. I propose we make up stat lines for the best players:

Jesus Montero: 4 for 4, 5 R, 3 HR, 1 2B, 9 RBI, 2 BB – the third homer was measured at 715 feet

Melvin Croussett: 9 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 26 K, 1-0 GB/FB – 79 of 79 pitches were strikes (100.0%) … PitchFX had the fastball at 127.9-129.4 … the last batter swung at the first pitch and shattered his bat into about fifteen thousand pieces.

18. ROBTEN says:

Gammons on Chapman:

“They think they will not be the high bidders on Aroldis Chapman but made a strong push for Boston being the place where he would want to locate. He would be given a lot of time…or eventually be a closer.”

Really? He’s a closer? Is this meant to be:

a) a snide remark because the signs point to him not signing with Boston?

b) a comment on the “ridiculous” depth of the Boston rotation?

c) an announcement that the Sox are looking to deal Papelbon for a “Smoak-type” bat?

d) a fair evaluation of his talent?

e) a, b, and c

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

From Baseball-Intellect:

“Bottom Line

Chapman is going to be a risk for whatever team signs him. His upside is tremendous, but he’s raw in every sense of the word. Does he have the mental capacity to turn himself into a pitcher and not be just a thrower? Does a team’s development staff have a good track record in developing a talent like Chapman? Does Chapman have what it takes to put it all together and develop into a legitimate number one starter? We’ll eventually get our answers, but some team will have to shell out millions of dollars before getting them.

Best Case Outcome – No. 1 starter

More Likely Outcome – Power arm closer out of the bullpen”

So I don’t think Gammons is just randomly spouting off (though Peter’s track record is a bit suspicious). He did say that he’d be given enough time to develop or eventually become a closer if he were to go to Boston. That’s perfectly reasonable considering how raw Chapman is. His upside is unbelievable, but again, it may be more likely that he becomes a closer. So many things have to go right for him to even be a starting pitcher.

19. [...] you need a refresher in the best ways to access RAB during the hectic week, read this. More importantly, review our Commenting Guidelines so that all of this week’s thread can be [...]