Nov

Open Thread: Careful what you say

As promised yesterday, today’s Open Thread is dedicated to ribbing people who made some poor comments about the Yankees this season. I’ll try to leave out the trollish comments, since that’s to be expected of a troll. That is, unless it’s too good to pass up.

To start we’ll venture off this blog and over to LoHud, where Pete Abraham was in charge. On March 25, he had this to say.

I would suggest that if the Yankees did not have Alex, they would be far more likely to win over the long term. His 24 + 1 mentality is not conducive to championship play. I realize it’s spring training, but the Yankees have looked terrific. They’re a much better team when they aren’t sitting around waiting for him to hit a home run.

I’m surely not the last one who has pointed this out. Pete’s definitely hearing it from all ends today about this.

(And don’t forget the since-removed Ian O’Connor article on why the Yankees are better off with Cody Ransom than A-Rod.)

How would the Yankees have fared this postseason without Hideki Matsui? I’m glad I don’t have to ponder that too long. But if pc69 had any say in the matter, the Yankees would have DFA’d Matsui in June.

“I know I will catch all kinds of shit for this but Matsui is done and is liability to this team. Just DFA him and pay him his money.”

Sorry, pc69, but as Matt ACTY/BDD said, that’s just monumentally stupid.

From the same thread, Andrew said, “Even if this team makes the playoffs, they are going nowhere.” Oops.

Later that month, when talking about the Yankees performance with runners in scoring position, YankeeScribe said: “The offense lacks balance. I blame Brian Cashman…” It’s chic to blame Cashman, I guess. Sorry, YankeeScribe, but this was a pretty well-balanced offensive attack.

Garry, after the Yanks lost their second game to the Nats, said, “This is not a championship team. End of story.” Glad you’re not the one writing it, bro.

The fire Kevin Long comments always make me chuckle.

Ace, you are so wrong it’s painful. “The Red Sox are a flat-out better team than the Yankees in every facet of the game.” It does get better. On June 29th, he said, “I’d rather give Shelly, who is having a monster power year in AAA, a shot at DHing than have Matsui taking up a roster spot to fail at the only job he is physically able to perform.” He also asked us to come back at the end of August and “we’ll see how your precious Matsui is faring then.” Pretty damn well, Ace. Pretty damn well.

We’ll end this with a comment from yesterday. Yes, at 11:16 a.m. on the day that the Yankees would eventually win their 27th World Series title, Virginia Yankee said, “girardi has recreated 2004.” For the commenters, this gets the biggest oaktag of the season. I still need to ban this guy, I guess, as per my promise.

This took way too long, and there are surely lots more poor comments lingering in older threads. If you want to add to this, use the search function to the right and post what you find in the comments (with links, which are the time stamp).

Categories : Open Thread

1. Salty Buggah says:

Oh shit. This is gonna be fun. Can’t wait to get home in a hour to get this shit done. I remember a lot of stuff.

2. Derby says:

This is hilarious and I’m glad you kept your promise of calling people out.

3. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Don’t forget Adam Schein suggesting the Yankees should trade A-Rod (WHAT!?!) and saying that the Yankees would never win a World Series with A-Rod on the team.

Fuck you, Schein.

4. Oh man.

I am going to keep reading these while I futilitously attempt to create a postseason WAR for Mariano.

Is it any wonder I have a headache already?

5. Jackson says:

One could spend weeks finding all the dumb comments made by just 4 or 5 commenter’s. All though they might all be the same person.

• The Artist says:

Yeah, the one’s who’ve been consistently wrong about this team have been the incessantly negative types and the bridge jumpers. The former are unreachable, the latter are monkeys.

6. Camilo Gerardo says:

in fat pete’s defense, we’ll never know if he is right or wrong; he said, “more likely to win without Alex”

just playing!!!!! he is one sad, sad, fat little man; Go Jankees!!!

7. Jake H says:

It will be an interesting night in the comments. I have this question for the site what apparel will you be buying? I will be buying 2 sweatshirts, probably a hate and some new shirts.

8. I started by perusing some of the threads you linked from. This one is under the Kevin Long needs to be fired link (that game was the end of the Washington Nationals series loss):

“tampayankee says:
    June 18th, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Nice and disgracefull. 7 runs against the shittiest team in baseball. That jackass Cashman is staying pat and looking at pitching. This team is destined for fourth place, thankfully Clueless Joe has that 27 on his back to remind him of the championship he will never win.
    Forget this weekend with that dead team and the heat in Miami hopefully only go 1-2.”

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Where’s THCM and his rewrite of that show with Skip Bayless where verybody on the show agreed the Yankees were destined for fourth place and heading down an organizational abyss?

I remember watching that episode, but I’d love to reread the quotes again straight from the horse’s mouth.

Fuck you, Skip Bayless.

• Skip Bayless is a cock.

• Better late than never…

(CONVERSATION FROM ESPN’S FIRST AND TEN, 5/18/09):

MIKE (HOST): The boys in the Bronx finally starting to earn that money that they’re making out there, the Yankees on a five-game win streak, 3 consecutive walk-off wins. Ryan – Is this a sign of things to come or just a blip on the radar?

RYAN STEWART (RS): Before the season started, Mike, to me the Yankees were the third best team in the AL East behind Boston and Tampa. Now Toronto’s jumped ahead of a couple of teams, so they’re now the fourth best team in my eyes. I love what this team has done when it comes to the off-season acquisitions and spending the money and going for it. But until the Bombers find a way to put Joba back in the ‘pen, they’re not going to win 85 to 90 ballgames. With all the money that they’ve spent, they still don’t have enough quality arms, and pitching is where it’s at if you want to win in the majors. i like A-Rod and he’s come through a tumultuous time, he’s hit a couple of home runs, he’s got a lot to do, still, but it’s on the mound in my eyes, Mike, they don’t have it there.

DOUG STEWART (DS): I think so. Since they get Alex Rodriguez back, they’re 7-3 with A-Rod, they were 13-14 [DS FUDGES THE NUMBERS A BIT HERE, BUT IT'S A MINOR ERROR] without Alex Rodriguez, and their last 4, their last 7 games, they’ve only given up 4 runs one time. CC Sabathia has pitched OK so far, Mark Teixeira is starting to turn it on, synonymously he always starts out slow so he’s starting to turn things around, and I think that the fact that they have the biggest payroll in baseball means something, and I mean it hasn’t meant a lot over the last couple of years, and i think that right now Joe Girardi is starting to get a feel for this team, the pitching’s been OK, I think this might be a sign that the Yankees are back on the track which they intended to be.

SKIP BAYLESS (SB): I’m with Ryan on this one because the point here was, over the weekend, they were just as close to losing 3 straight games as they were to winning. Just me, I was SHOCKED on Friday, in fact I fell asleep, when it went to the ninth inning because I felt Minnesota had it in the bag because Joe Nathan does not cough up games like that and they got him, or he coughed it up, however you want to look at it, but this is a blip to me, because I’m with you, I still… and I respect, you make valid points, I respect the Yankees… I still think Boston and Tampa are just overall better teams and I think that will show itself over time. I love what Toronto is doing so far, but I think they’ll end up in third place and I think the Yankees could be fourth place in this league.

RS: I’m sorry for cutting you off Mike. With all the money you spent, it shouldn’t come down to a walk-off home run for you to win a ballgame. And i don’t know if the team has confidence in Joe Girardi like they did in Joe Torre. Maybe that’s just a me thing.

HOST: But doesn’t it say something about the team that they’re actually starting to win these type of ballgames, these close ballgames where they were losing them earlier in the season?

SB: Ok. Tampa just quietly won 4 out of 5 and they still got a nuclear weapon down at triple A in David Price, just wait until he comes up. I don’t trust the overall starting pitching enough. And again, A-Rod hit the first pitch he saw for a home run and then he was like hitting .150 for a while. I just don’t know if he’s going to make that much of a difference against two organizations in the Red Sox and Tampa that are overall better.

DS: 2 things… The Yankees haven’t done this, won back-to-back-to-back games with walk-off home runs since 1972, that’s a good indicator, and, Chien-Ming Wang has been doing fantastic in the minor leagues pitching several, you know, scoreless innings so i think they might be turning the corner.

HOST: And AJ Burnett starting to pitch well too, maybe they CAN put Joba back in the bullpen (RS in the background: “That’s what they need to do!”) IF those, uh, starting pitchers come around.

• Jack says:

“RS: I’m sorry for cutting you off Mike. With all the money you spent, it shouldn’t come down to a walk-off home run for you to win a ballgame.”

Dude, really? What the fuck?

• Funnily enough the Yanks actually did go 1-2 against the Marlins…

9. Teix is the Man says:

My favorite comments was actually an article from ken Rosenthal, when he wrote his mini drama about how shitty the Yankees’ season would be.

10. Teix is the Man says:

The Gammons parodys were pretty funny, albeit not dumb.

11. TheLastClown says:

Most egregious. Most wrong. Mmmmm…delicious greed.

• Jake H says:

I remember reading that and laughing.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Favorite line: “God, is it going to be fun to see. Nothing is more entertaining than watching the rich choke on their own greed.”

That comment goes into the “it’s just a game, dude” files…

• Kiko Jones says:

Also from that same piece:

The GM of the New York Yankees may be the worst ever at the best job in the world. Which is why he’ll inevitably fail this year in his shameless attempt to buy a World Series.”

Matt Taibbi, Sux homer and douchebag.

12. Mode says:

Here are 2 from Charlie in game 2 of the LDS that caused me to no longer follow game threads during the game, but instead laugh at the idoicy after the game had completed:

Fuck Girardi and Mo.. And I was gone.

13. There should be a special level of FAIL-hell reserved for Matt Taibbi.

It’s obscene that a job like this even exists. But for someone to have this job and fuck it up is just appalling, the kind of gross disrespect for our own good fortune that makes it hard for us Americans to look the Third World in the eye. What Brian Cashman has accomplished as GM of the Yankees over the past few years, in turning a perennial World Series champ into a third-place also-ran, is like walking into a backstage party for Led Zeppelin with a two-pound bag of coke and a 28-inch penis and failing for a whole night to get laid.

Cashman managed to discover the one avenue through which limitless money and power under the current Major League Baseball rules can be a competitive disadvantage. He found that if you pack your roster from top to bottom with pathologically needy, egomaniacal, paranoid megamillionaires aged 30 and up, you can more or less permanently block the development of the choice, hungry, 25- to 30-year-old talent group that serves as the core of virtually all winning baseball teams.

What’s even more interesting is that after implementing this formula so successfully that the Yankees fell behind a Cape Cod League team called the Tampa Bay Rays last year, Cashman decided to double down on his strategy — opting to plug his team’s now-gaping holes by signing another $441 million in new megamillionaire free agents, with the bulk of that money going to the superstar trio of C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, and Mark Teixeira. With his shameless, blatant attempt to buy a World Series with a half-billion-dollar shopping spree at a time when the rest of the country is scrounging under the couch cushions for ramen money, Cashman has laid the foundation for 2009 to be maybe the most entertaining year for non–Yankees fans in the history of baseball. We are all trailing six car lengths behind, waiting for the pinstriped truck to jackknife and explode in a giant conflagration of scandals and finger-pointing. In an age when huge, irresponsible financial bets have brought Western civilization to the edge of collapse, Cashman’s Yankees are perfectly positioned to become an object lesson in everything that has gone wrong with American society in the past eight years or so.

DUMBEST. ARTICLE. OF. THE. YEAR.

You had the concept right, but the personnel wrong, Matt. It is us who are watching your journalistic acumen jackknife and explode in a giant conflagration of idiotic lunacy and incorrectly predicted grave-dancing. What has gone wrong with American society for the last 8 years is not the Yankees spending largesse, it’s the dumbing down of the American body politic to the level where false narrative (like yours) has replaced dispassionate reason.

Stick to Real Time with Bill Mahr, Taibbi. You’re out of your depth.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

IDK. Perlman’s legendary “Don’t like the Yankees because I said so”, and the one I found about the guy who said everybody in baseball was stupid, especially if they had a college degree, are both VERY much in contention.

• TheLastClown says:

Although there’s a phrase I liked. He likened Cashman to a “cabbage in heels.”

While obviously it’s one of the biggest wastes of cognitive energy I’ve ever spent, picture it for a second, a cabbage in heels.

Worthy of beginning-era Disney & Dali.

• Rusty says:

Big ups for posting that shitty, shitty Taibbi article, i remember catching that nonsense in april. Hilarious when writing about Sarah Palin… Brian Cashman, not so much… when it comes to baseball hes a homeristic red sox douchebag.

Nick Saint at Business Insider wrote a scathing rebuttal after the yanks clinched the ALCS, worth the read: http://www.businessinsider.com.....-0-2009-10

• pete says:

wow. my world has been rocked. my socks are off. It’s almost like an intelligent-business-journal caliber writer wrote an article about baseball…that was actually intelligent! I especially loved the part about how buying a world series IS a general manager’s job. God that was a good read. Almost as if FJM had come back to life for one last article, except instead of ripping it up bullet-point style, he wrote an epic, sprawling diatribe that may have been the best baseball-related article anybody has ever gotten paid to write.

14. Am I the only Kevin? says:

Red Sox land Hermida for 2 minor leaguers. Is this their Swisher-esque insurance policy in case they don’t land the big fish free agent to fill LF?

15. Alex says:

I’ll never forget Kabak prematurely saying that “Girardi should be fired” in one of the game threads. It was during a Joba Chamberlain start, and he gave up some early runs when Kabak made the completely irrational proposal. We actually ended up winning the game too. Good thing we didn’t fire Girardi, things seemed to work out pretty well.

16. Moshe Mandel says:

Well, we had a lot of pessimism here from some pretty loyal commenters, but there is one in particular that needs to be called out, just because of last night.

Charlespoet, you gonna apologize to Matsui at the parade, or are you going to do it some other time?

17. aCb says:

I think just about everyone makes an irrational comment when they yankees are playing bad. I myself have made a few especailly during that white sox series.

Anyway my favorite comment was by John Kruk who says the redsox will win because they are the only team “dolled up” (what ever the fuck that means) for the playoffs and their only weakness is the middle relief.

18. mustang says:

I posted early didn’t know you going to have this.

dalelama says:
    October 29th, 2009 at 9:11 am
    As a Yankee fan in living in Philly territory I have had the opportunity to watch both closely for the last three years so my prediction is not based on the outcome of one game but an objective analysis of both teams personnel over an extended period of time integrated with my thorough knowledge of baseball. And to put it simply, in a short series vs. 162 game schedule the Phillies are the better team. Now that doesn’t mean the Yanks won’t win or that I won’t be rooting hard for them, it just means one should place their money on the Phillies. That way will take some of the sting out of the final outcome.

11/5/09- 3 years of objective analysis wasted, my thorough knowledge of baseball ? Maybe not, one should place their money on the Phillies and it would of stung a lot more, in a short series vs. 162 game schedule the Phillies are the better team I GUESS NOT

mustang says:
    October 29th, 2009 at 9:38 am
    “And to put it simply, in a short series vs. 162 game schedule the Phillies are the better team. Now that doesn’t mean the Yanks ”
    But if your saying that the Phillies are the better team in a short series that means that the Yanks won’t win. ?????
    So basically if the Yankees win it’s out of pure luck or because the Phillies fail to live up to their full potential
    Good Theory
    We will speak again when RAB puts up the 2009 Yankees World Series Championship thread.

dalelama says:
    October 29th, 2009 at 9:56 am
    Mustang, Exactly right, my heart says Yanks but my brain says Phillies…I will be the first to be happy if the brain is wrong but when it comes to baseball that is rare. I hope you are right. I will be right here.

11/5/09- Brain WRONG !! Well at least his heart in the right place.

V says:
    October 29th, 2009 at 9:43 am
    Bull.
    You think Ruiz is better than Posada based on 100 hot ABs.
    I can’t call you an imbecile, so…
    Bye.

dalelama says:
    Talk to you when it is over and Posada has had his usual .239 series and Ruiz hits .350
    11/5/09- In the 2009 World Series Ruiz .333 vs. Posada .263
    I will still take the guy with 5 RINGS.

HERE ENDETH THE LESSON

19. Let’s reminisce about a dearly departed friend named Lloyd Johnson. FIRE UP THE 2008-2009 HOT STOVE!!!

“Lloyd Johnson says:
    December 9th, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Wouldn’t mind ROBERTS to the Yanks, that way we good get rid of “Bad Attitude Cano” in a hurry. Don’t worry about 1st Base, Adrian Gonzalez will fill that spot nicely, IF we don’t get TEX? We gotta get Bobby A back, and quickly! Then just worry about the Pitching Staff. Thats where our problems lay. Even a couple of middle range starters ( Garland?) would be okay, we are not that far away from that next Pennant. Onw other thought: I sure would like the Yanks to finish that McLOUTH deal with Pirates, thats the final piece of this puzzle.”

I still think Lloyd was Mike Francesa in disguise.

20. Zack says:

“Question: Who should play center field for the Yankers next year: Melky Cabrera or Brett Gardner?

Answer: According to James’s projections, neither. While Cabrera projects at .278/.341/.406 and Gardner at .277/.368/.375 (with an impressive 36-of-44 stolen base record), James has farmhand Austin Jackson at .294/.356/.411.”

Wow, I doubt even Yankee fans even predict AJax can do that next year.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

If A-Jax does that well next year I’d be flabbergasted. Yes, that’s right, flabbergasted.

• Reggie C. says:

Ajax’s BABIP made for interesting conversation this season. I think the line drive rate was solid, but it didnt really explain the puzzling duration of Jax’s strong BABIP run. I’d really be content with that OBP and SLG though.

• pat says:

Oof, I was thinking he’d be lucky to even break a .340 obp. .294/.356/.411 is pretty much an allstar in CF. I’d take that in a cocaine heartbeat.

• Accent Shallow says:

I think he has a little more power than that. A .110 ISO is pretty punchless. I’d be ok with the BA/OBP though, although I don’t know if he’s capable of that just yet.

21. Reggie C. says:

I’m sure i’ve said a couple doozy statements this season, especially after dropping those early season games to the Red Sox. I think reading batshit crazy posts every now and then livens the site.

22. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

BTW, lots of fans are saying that the stng of 04′, no matter what, will “never go away”, even now that we’ve won.

Don’t know about you guys, but with this world championship, it’s gone. Completely.

• It was gone for me sometime in 2005.

Look, people, shit happens. You can’t let fear run your life. If anything, the collapse of 2004 should be EASIER to walk away from because it was so unprecedented that it’s the very definition of a statistical outlier. We may never ever see a collapse like that again. That may be painful to be the only team to collapse that way, but it should also give you confidence that we probably won’t ever be party to something like that ever again do to the utter rarity of a swing from 3-0 to 3-4.

Yeah, it sucks. It’s not going to happen to us again, though, so stop fearing boogeymonsters that aren’t real anymore.

• Tank Foster says:

You know, ’04 didn’t bother me as much as ’01. I’d rather not get to the WS than get there and lose. I have never been as emotionally invested in the Yankee/Red Sox hatred/rivalry thing as some people. I don’t care if another team’s fans are obnoxious, or if sports writers and pundits crap on the Yankees and fellate the other guys. Well, I won’t say it doesn’t bother me a little, but I’m focused on the Yankees and winning. That ’04 collapse? It’s no different to me than any other loss. It just happens sometimes. They did their best, and Boston beat Mo and Tom Gordon and shut down the Yankees bats. No shame in that. I consider Boston’s 1978 collapse as far worse, having such a huge lead so late in the season, and collapsing. But I take no special pleasure in the fact that it was the Red Sox who the Yankees caught that year; it would have been equally gratifying to have run down any AL East team. This was a great year because you could tell from early on how much all of these guys wanted it. Maybe it wasn’t the case in those prior years, I don’t know. But this was a great team and a great year on its own. It doesn’t redeem any prior bad year, or mean anything for next year. Let’s just enjoy it.

23. Ryan says:

I made to comment to Pete’s twitter about his comments on Alex. He proceeded to send me 7 Direct Messages and began swearing at me. He then demanded I not re-tweet his messages to me. You can see some of it at @rtnichols, but seriously that guy has a problem with people poking fun at him. I wish I could tag all his posts with “interested reader”.

• pat says:

egomanical.

• Ryan says:

Honestly I was just busting his chops and he had a meltdown. It’s not the first time I’ve heard of him doing this, but I didn’t think he would go off the deep end. He’s evidently very proud of the fact that the Yankees cannot win with A-Rod. Oops, they can.

• YankeeJosh says:

Same thing happened to me. I was joking that he’d have more free time on his hand after the Red Sox were eliminated and he DM’d me a nastyish message saying he doesn’t work for the Red Sox and is still covering baeball. Guy really can’t take any playful ribbing at all.

• Zack says:

“He then demanded I not re-tweet his messages to me.”
      Yeah most media members arent used to having their words come back to bite them, usually they just file them away. Got to love modern technology, where you cant hide that shit- and if you talk stupid it should be thrown in your face for everyone to see.

• Ryan says:

He actually told me I was “making shit up.” Except that I was quoting him. Facts are tough to deal with I guess.

• Mike Pop says:

Meh. He’s kind of a dick anyway. Good reporter, just a dick. He blocked me from following him because I tweeted him something like you love taking shots at the yankees, don’t you?

24. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

For overall thread of the year I nominate the game thread where A-Rod hit the game ttying HR off Nathan.

• Randy A. says:

That was amazing…but I think this website almost shut down from excitement and over-posting when Damon and Tex went back-to-back off of Bard. That was an amazing moment during the course of the season.

Obviously the A-Rod homer meant more, being that it was in the playoffs, but crushing the hopes and dreams of every red sox fanboy when Damon and Tex made little Daniel Bard eat shit was something special.

• Randy A. says:

But I agree with you…it was nuts when A-Rod took Nathan deep. I’m so over joyed that he performed well this post season and shook the idea off of him that he couldn’t perform in the postseason.

25. The Artist says:

Speaking of dumb, bitter comments, anyone read PA’s latest blog post?

“Baseball sometimes has a language all its own. If something goes wrong, you’ll often hear a player say, “All you can do is wear it.”

Such is the case for Red Sox fans now that the Yankees have won their 27th championship. You can complain all you want, but all you can do in the end is wear it.

It’s not exactly a feel-good story anyway. The Yankees have an obscene payroll and built a stadium that caters mainly to the wealthy. A team that spent nearly half a billion in free agents last winter is not exactly the little train that could.

The Red Sox and then the Rays ruled the AL East and now the Yankees are back on top. I agree with Tony Mazz: A Yankees championship might serve as a little kick in the pants to the Red Sox.

Now the Hot Stove season is officially here. The General Manager Meetings, believe it or not, start Monday in Chicago. Extra Bases will be there and we’ll be live-blogging the whispers.

The Yankees are on top of the mountain. Now 29 other teams will start plotting how to knock them off. “

26. mustang says:

My player of the year is Cody Ransom the man who made me realize that all the negatives I had ever seen in A-Rod were wrong.

Cody showed me the true side of the FORCE.

27. Alex S says:

any tips on good spots at the parade tomo? i hear the start is less packed.

28. Mike Pop says:

Kevin Martin out 6-8 weeks.

Boo.

29. ColoYank says:

If I may post a comment that’s kind of tangential … (here bowing to all wonderful RAB posters and asking for indulgence):

Out of habit I take the daily paper, and in my case it’s the Denver Post. The Post employs a purported baseball writer named Troy E. Renck (spelling dubious, like the man). I was sorely tempted to email him after a recent story to ask him, “Hey, I know they pay you to hate the Yankees in print, but do they pay you a bonus to make it palpable?”

Everything he wrote was either along the “best team money can buy” shit, or simply, “Root for the Phillies, because they’re not the Yankees.”

But I think I’ll gloat here, the best place for gloating: IN YOUR UGLY FACE, Renck, you jackass!

30. The Artist says:

Here’s the thing: Posada is going to catch everyday in the playoffs. Every single inning of every single game. And if he doesn’t for any reason other than injury, Joe Girardi should be fired because that’s like, Managing 101.

• Nady Nation says:

Yea, Molina was a real difference maker on Monday night. Ditto Game 5 in Anaheim. Just because the team won doesn’t make that the right call.

• The Artist says:

That 1 AB in each game still bugs you, huh?

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Yes. It was a terrible decision then, and is still a terrible decision.

• The Artist says:

One he should be FIRED over?

Cancel the parade, folks. Joe’s fired.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

No, it’s borderline fireable in my view IF it plays a major roll in us not advancing, which it had the potential to. But it didn’t because we’re just too fucking good.

• Keanu Reeves says:

Agreed. The Yankees were just good enough that it didn’t make that much of a difference.

There’s just no way you can convince me that Molina made that much of a difference in AJ’s performance.

• Keanu Reeves says:

Though, I don’t want Girardi’s head for it. As long as they won…it doesn’t matter one bit who they ran out there.

But I definitely would have felt better with Jorge catching every game.

That last game w/ a bottom three of Gardy, Molina and Burnett was especially brutal.

• Mike Pop says:

Well, whatever now… but it still probably wasn’t the right move based on one simple fact.

Posada’s bat guarantees to give the offense a better chance to score. Molina catching does not guarantee to make A.J. pitch better.

But it all worked out! It’s the end of the Jose Molina era.

• Nady Nation says:

I’ve had this argument so many times, I don’t really feel like getting into it again. But really, nothing that happened this postseason proved without a doubt that Molina starting was the correct move.

• pete says:

i think girardi’s assessment was that the potential betterness of AJ-to-molina was more important than the 1-2 ABs molina would get. And i still don’t necessarily disagree. We all know good AJ is good with anyone, and bad AJ is bad with anyone, but on the off chance that we get in-between AJ (a rare creature, for sure, but one that does, in fact exist), who hasn’t got his best stuff or control, but might still be able to gut out a decent start, I’d rather the catcher who is most likely to be able to get the most out of him. Not saying that that’s molina, just that that’s an subject on which none of us have any real perspective, and Girardi probably does.
            Again, it’s an old argument, but it’s a relevant one nonetheless, seeing as posada and AJ will both be on the team next year. My opinion for next year is, of course, that Joe should try a little harder to get at least 20-25 of each pitcher’s starts to posada so that there isn’t an issue like this next year (or any splits will be obvious sample-size flaws), but for some reason or another there was evidence – not irrefutable by any means, but evidence nonetheless – both statistical and perceptional, that suggested that starting Molina with AJ would be advantageous. With that I will not argue. I do hope, however, that there is not such a bounty of shaky evidence like that next year.

• Nady Nation says:

Although you’re right in the sense that the call for Girardi’s head was a bit hyperbolic.

31. Keanu Reeves says:

Lincecum got caught with some weeeeeed.

I found it kinda funny. Think he’ll get as much shit as Phelps did?

32. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

This is BRILLIANT.

I will bring this up whenever somebody whines about the payroll.

Shoutout to Nick in SF from loHd on this find.

33. The Artist says:

Off season predictions:

Johnny Damon signs-2 years/22 mil

Andy Pettitte signs-1 year 10.5 mil

Matsui winds up back in Japan.

Jerry Hairston signs-1 year 2.5 mil

Xavier Nady/Chien Ming Wang both sign incentive laden 1 year deals.

2010 Opening Day payroll-190 mil.

34. Moshe Mandel says:

This is a great thread. It is Game 2 vs. the Twins. Scroll to the bottom for some ripping of Damaso Marte by a large number of regulars.

Then again, I liked Coke more than Marte, so what do I know?

35. When do awards announcements start? Next week?

36. The Artist says:

In all seriousness, you know what the 2010 Yankees will lack?

An 8th inning guy/primary set up man who gets us to Mo.

I’m not a B-Jobber, and am looking forward to seeing Joba start next year. But I think Hughes gets moved to the rotation as well, and that means our setup man would be Damaso Marte or David Robertson. Both are nice, but neither will replace what Hughes gave us this year.

• I think Marte and D-Rob will do a fine job.

• kunaldo says:

yes, very much. if not: melancon, aceves or some minor league power arm will get a shot. And seriously, after this year, when Joba WASNT the 8th inning guy, shouldn’t we just trust what the organization is doing?

• Chris says:

Ian Kennedy.

• pete says:

Joe Girardi will be our setup guy next year. we won’t have a sub-2.00 ERA guy out there, in all likelihood, people aren’t always going to feel totally comfortable in the 7th/8th innings of close games, and there will be some blown saves along the way. And yet, somehow, despite the lack of a SECOND totally dominant bullpen arm, the yankees will still win 98 games, and have a bullpen ERA of about 3.50. You heard it here first.

37. Steve H says:

I’m trying to find something stupid I said this year, no success yet. I guess I must be right all the time. :)

38. jsbrendog says:

i reeeeeeeeeeeeeally loved the suggestion of sending matsui to seattle for a wii console.

?!?!?!?!

• jsbrendog says:

what happened to the rest of my commment? NOOOO it was so thoughtfully put together and wonderfully designed.

well basically i outed myself as a handsome cody ransom backer and oaktagged myself (somehow that seems ironic)

and then i said arod totally turned me. all he had to do was get caught having done stgeroids and divorce his wife…WHO KNEW?!?!

39. Moshe Mandel says:

I went back and watched the MLB highlights for all of the playoff games. It’s amazing, I’d say most of the great moments in this postseason were A-Rod moments. Unbelievable.

• Word.

The D-Mart six pitch, six strikes, two strikeouts incident against Utley/Howard was definitely one of my favorite moments of the year.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. Looking back, there were, in my estimation 7 memorable wins from this postseason.

Game 2 ALDS: A-Rod off Nathan
        Game 3 ALDS: A-Rod and Posada off Pavano

Game 2 ALCS: A-Rod off Fuentes
        Game 6 ALCS: Damon 2 run single, A-Rod bases loaded walk

Game 2 WS: AJ Burnett, Tex, and Matsui lead the way against Pedro
        Game 4 WS: A-Rod off Lidge
        Game 6 WS: Matsui explodes

7 great wins, and Alex had “the moment” in 4 of them. All 4 were tying or go-ahead hits from the 7th inning or later. This leaves out the other big hits he had in other games (2 run homer to put ALCS Game 4 away, the bases loaded walk, etc). It really is amazing how great he was.

40. YankeeScribe says:

Thanks for calling me out but lets be honest, as a team, the Yanks collectively stunk offensively at the time when I made that comment about the offense. It’s one thing to make a dumb statement before the season starts, it’s another to make a statement after two months of watching the team play. Once Posada came back and Jeter and Cano started getting hot, the whole offense got better.

• Hey, we’re just having fun. You happen to get unlucky because your comments came at tough times. They were obviously the easiest to pick from.

• YankeeScribe says:

It’s all good. I’m just saying I don’t think I was the only one who began to have doubts about this team at that point in the season. I’m happy that they proved me wrong…

• Tank the Frank says:

Bro I’ll be the first to admit I made plenty of rash comments that came when the team was frustrating me, and in hindsight, look foolish.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

This site (RAB) has the most thoughtful/knowledgeable commenters of any baseball site I visit.

And yet I am continually amazed by the number people who seem to forget that during the course of 162 games in 6 months, every team is going to go through some rough stretches.

Perspective. It is a wonderful concept.

41. JobaWockeeZ says:

Heh I tried to convince my Met fan of a father that using a LOOGY is not over managing as Girardi gets shit for that and he calls me a fucking idiot!

I laughed.

42. Tank the Frank says:

Oh come on! Where is that John Kruk piece! That was a facepalm of epic proportions.

I’m going to go print it out and get it framed… right next to my 2009 World Series memorabilia.

43. Moshe Mandel says:

I’m not militant against ESPN like some here, but this is ridiculous. There is nothing left on ESPN’s homepage about the World Series. Not one thing. Unbelievable.

44. JobaWockeeZ says:

So for next year who else on the Yanks do you think will come back?
    Damon and Matsui have been said a lot and personally both should come back for a 1 year deal if possible.

But what about Nady, CMW, Molina, and others?
    I think they all should come back too.
    Nady could be a great bench option should he come back. He can also start a few games at home where Swisher struggles. If the Yanks offer arbitration and he leaves then they’ll get a compensatory pick. So maybe they could offer him arbitration.

CMW should also come back. He’s been great in the past and I’m not buying the argument he completely lost it. Once he’s completely healthy I’ll be interested to see what he can offer and if he’s close to form then the Yankees will have good depth in June or whenever he comes back. He’ll be injured for half of the year so I don’t see much other teams risking in acquiring him.

And Molina should come back too. Yeah you don’t like him but I’d rather have Molina and Cervelli as back ups than use some random crap guy like Kevin Cash. Just insurance.

45. Tank the Frank says:

Don’t forget Jeter, Pettitte, Posada & Matsui will be on Letterman tonight. Joba is also going to be on Jimmy Fallon…I can’t stand Fallon but I’ll have to watch.

46. pete says:

I would like to take this time to announce that i am, and always have been, through thick and thin, for the last 200 or so games (ST included), basically since Sabathia’s contract was inked, a certified, card carrying, girardi and cashman homering member of the muthafuckin Positive Posse. Suck on that, IronHorse, Axl, Ace, mustang (in the beginning – he cleaned up his act), Brazillian Yankee, and if-only-you-were-real alex gonzalez. I said from the getgo that the yankees were the most likely team to win the world series this year, and never wavered. Thank you, you’ve been great.

/takes bow

47. Joe D. says:

PROCTOR! Where is PROCTOR!?

From Rotoworld:
    David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Braves have signed Scott Proctor.

According to O’Brien, Proctor signed a “split-contract,” meaning that he’ll receive less money for any portion of the season spent in the minor leagues. Because of the World Series, the team has yet to confirm the signing. Proctor missed the entire 2009 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery in May. The 32-year-old right-hander was released by the Marlins in October, but the Braves hope he can be a contributor in 2010.
    Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Upon learning Proctor had not been signed by the Dodgers, Scott Proctor’s Arm pointedly remarked, “Woohoo!”

48. crapula says:

I think Pete Abe is the reason the Yanks won. His frothing hatred of Joe Girardi was some kind of hex. He was like the giant Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man…a harmless thing that had grown int a huge scowly dangerous thing.

I also think that some nights when the Yanks were losing the game threads were just too crazy to read…they pissed me off more than the Yankees losing. The ledge jumpers were out in full force. Instead of being a comraderie of fans who lived by the team, died by the team, you had the jumpers who couldn’t figure out if it was a ledge or a bandwagon they were going to jump on or off.

I really hate their negativity during a game thread because it obscures some of the people on here who can use humor and talk about other things when the Yanks are going down in flames. I just hate the harpers and whiners. And I usually wind up leaving the thread for the night.

49. Chris says:

I don’t think I said anything to awful. I’ve had a good feeling about this team way back when A-rod was out and CC and A-rod were struggling, but they still managed to stay around 500.

And after all the walk-offs, I started thinking this could be their year.

I will throw myself under the bus and say I advocated benching Swisher in the playoffs. I believe the next game is when he did get benched, and then came back and started hitting again.

In my defense, this is why I’m posting on a message board and not actually, you know, working in baseball.