Nov

Open Thread: Indianapolis in the middle of winter?

Last year, RAB was excited to attend its first Winter Meetings. Not only is it the biggest off-season event in baseball, but it was also in Las Vegas. That meant plenty of off-hours entertainment. It didn’t work out too well for me — I got cleaned out playing Blackjack — but it was still fun to be out there with the people we normally cover from afar.

We’re headed to the Winter Meetings again this year, and by we I mean me. Big thanks to Kevin at YES for hooking this up. We still won’t be breaking any big news — hey, you’ve gotta be in the business for a while to do anything like that. But I’ll be mingling, talking to people who perhaps know things I don’t. Even though the Yanks won’t be the center of attention this year, it still figures to be a good time.

Also, I will try to remember to videotape Ozzie Guillen’s Q&A session, just in case he says something memorably crazy.

Is there anything you’d like to see from us coverage-wise from out there?

And with that, here’s your open thread for the evening. I assume most will be watching New England – New Orleans. I’ll be hoping that House turns it around. The show has not been up to part this season.

Categories : Open Thread

1. There you go again, doing this whole legitimate media source thing again…

2. Salty Buggah says:

Just got that PS3 I was talking about couple days ago. Brand new one for $150…great deal or greatest deal?

3. I’m still waiting for my World Series DVD. I hate waiting.

• Salty Buggah says:

Think about it this way: You had to wait 9 years for the chance to order one. So waiting another day or 3 isn’t that bad.

• steve (different one) says:

watched it last night.

one interesting bit: Swisher says how important it was to his game 3 performance that he sat down for game 2.

see, we don’t know everything…

4. ultimate913 says:

Go Saints! They deserve a championship for Katrina(although it’s a few years late).

On a seperate note, I wont be able to watch the Nets break the record until Wednesday. D:

5. Final Jeopardy Category:

Political Nonfiction

Answer:

This book begins,
    “June 17, 1972.
    Nine O’Clock, Saturday Morning”

6. Bob Stone says:

I don’t really care about the Saints or the Patriots (except as a casual, fairweather Jet Fan), so I’m not rooting for either team. Should be a good game though, so I’ll tune in.

• As a casual, fairweather Jet fan, you should be actively rooting for the Saints. Every loss by an AFC playoff contender is good for us.

We win on the short week against the Bills this Thursday, we’re 6-6 and back in the mix with 4 winnable games left on the slate (hapless Bucs, banged up Falcons, possibly on cruise control Colts, possibly on cruise control Bengals).

• Bob Stone says:

Optimistic, as usual, lol. I think Sanchez has potential but he is difficult to watch at times. From week to week he is showing growing pains. I don’t expect them to amake the playoffs.

I would normally route for the Pats to knock off the undefeated team but can’t becuase of the Jets.

So, I am a little confused tonight. I do enjoy watching Belichick lose though. He is so totally ungracious about losing.

• Mike Pop says:

True that. Not in the worst position to be in.

Better position than the other team that plays in the Meadowlands.

But 10 wins is pretty much what is needed to make the playoffs, right?

• Nady Nation says:

I know the Giants are in total freefall right now, but I don’t see how the Jets are in a better position than the Giants. The Jets are 5-6, and are amongst a group of like 7 teams that are 5-6 or 6-5, all vying for that last playoff spot, with the Broncos currently holding the 5 seed at 7-4. The Giants are 6-5, and play the 2 teams ahead of them in the division standings at home the next 2 weeks. If the Giants win this week, and yes, that’s a big IF, they’d basically be 0.5 games back of the division since they have the tiebreaker with Dallas. As horrendous as they’ve been the past 6 weeks, if the Giants take care of their own business, they’ll make the playoffs. The Jets need to take care of their business and get a lot of help.

• Mike Pop says:

Hmm. Maybe I jumped the gun on that without doing all my research. Been reading a lot of Cowboys blogs lately so ya know how the hate can get drained in. I guess you’re right. I hope Eli plays on Sunday, make for the best game. I’m definitely a bit nervous, i never sleep on the Giants. Always get pumped and play the ‘Boys hard and vice versa.

It’s funny right when I hate on the Giants a bit, you pop up though ;)

I’ll be at the game on Sunday with some fellow ‘Boys fans along with GMen fans. Anyone else going?

• Nady Nation says:

Haha, you know I can’t let you rag on Big Blue without getting my retorts in. For the record though, I’m not very confident. Feels way too much like one of those “just not our year” seasons.

• Mike Pop says:

Meh. Anything can happen. Especially between Big D and Big Blue.

As for this season for you guys. It happens to every team. What can ya do. Your past two seasons have been pretty epic.

It should be fun at the Meadowlands. Get shit on by all the fans again. Looking forward to that and not looking forward to it. Haha.

• Ivan says:

That game between the Eagles and Giants at the Meadowlands is gonna be huge.

• Ivan says:

I stll think it’s the Pats division to lose.

If the Colts lose before meeting the jets, then yeah I’ll say cruise control, but if their still undefeated, they might still have their foot on the gas.

7. Riddering says:

That’s very, very awesome news. You’re a big roller now, Joe! As for coverage…damn, just share everything you experience with us.

+1 for photo choice

8. I can’t believe I’m rooting for the Patriots. My fantasy team needs it–desperately.

9. Mike Pop says:

I got Pats 34-27 this game.

10. VO says:

What channel (if any) is the Nets game going to be on tonight?

11. Salty Buggah says:

Hah, the lady who supposedly had an affair with Tiger, apparently also did with Jeter and A-Rod (though this according to sources even though she herself denies everything)

I say this is all bullshit

12. Dave says:

Well, this is an upgrade from Saturday. The Rangers aren’t getting blown away yet.

13. JobaWockeeZ says:

Anyone buying that the Sox are going to get Holliday and get Scutaro while still having a first round pick by passing on Bay?

• Teix is the Man says:

Yeah, I could see that.

• Mike Pop says:

Unfortunately, yes.

• feasor says:

The Sox certainly have the cash to do it. If they can’t win this past year with their “A” team, I don’t see how they don’t make a big move. What else, other than the larger role of Buckholtz and return of Dice-K, suggests that next year’s team will perform any better? I think Theo has to make a big move or the fundamental flaws of his system reveal themselves.

14. Nady Nation says:

I moneylined the Pats tonight, along with a Moss (-3.5 fantasy points) over Colston wager. Yes, I might have a gambling problem.

15. Dave says:

Wow. Keith Ballard swung his stick in frustration, missed the post and sent Tomas Vokun (his own goalie) to the hospital.

16. Teix is the Man says:

Trade one, keep one, release one: Hughes, Joba, Montero

17. Arod the Great says:

Why is everyone assuming BoSox offer arb to wagner…? What if he says that it be better to be on a good team and set up then close on a shit team and he made 8 mil or more I think last year…?

Why would Boston risk the arbitration?

18. Ivan says:

Which is more likly to happen first in baseball,

A team finishing the season a 100 games over .500 or a team finishing the season 100 games under.500?

19. The Artist says:

Arbitration Offer Predictions For Free Agents
    By Tim Dierkes

On October 12th, I explained what it means when a free agent is offered arbitration and also made a few loose predictions. Tomorrow evening, those arbitration decisions will be upon us. As far as I can tell, there are 70 Type A/B free agents. It’s time to commit to predictions on whether or not the player will be offered arbitration. Let me know where I’m wrong in the comments.

* Johnny Damon (A) – No
    * Andy Pettitte (B) – No
    * Xavier Nady (B) – No

We covered this before, I don’t see the downside in offering arb to Damon. Yanks want him back on a 1 year deal anyway.

Nady is a no-brainer to NOT offer, arb would be far more than he’d get on the open market. You’d be better off not offering him arb and signing him as a FA.

Andy is trickier. You want him back on a 1 year deal, and you’re willing to guarantee more $ this year. The only reason you’d offer is to cover your ass just in case he runs off to Texas again. IIRC we DIDN’T offer it to Roger Clemens, thinking he retired and got burned.

20. Some of the plethora of fun and exciting events in Indianapolis, IN during the Winter Meetings:

———–

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 9:00 AM. ‘The Winter Weasel’ at the Indiana State Museum. When winter arrives, we bundle up in coats, scarves, hats and mittens. The long-tailed weasel changes its coat, too. Discover how these fascinating creatures dress for winter. Nov. 13 to Dec. 18. Info: See Web site or call 317-232-1637. Indiana State Museum, 650 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.indianamuseum.org [Ref #378463] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 10:00 AM. Gingerbread Village at Conner Prairie. A wonderland of icing, gumdrops and sprinkles atop remarkable gingerbread creations. Dec. 1, 2009 to Jan. 3, 2010: Tue-Sat 10-5 (except Dec. 24-25), Sun 11-5. Info: See Web site or call 317-776-6006. Conner Prairie Interactive History Park, 13400 Allisonville Road, Fishers, Hamilton County. http://www.connerprairie.org [Ref #375841] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 10:00 AM. ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Exhibit at the Children’s Museum. A visual exhibition with artwork, costumes and other pieces used in the first-ever animated TV series by LucasFilm Animation. Mar. 23, 2009 to Jan. 31, 2010: Tue-Sun 10-5 (plus Mon 10-5, Mar to Sep). Info: 317-334-3322. Children’s Museum, 3000 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.childrensmuseum.org [Ref #348565] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 10:00 AM. ‘From Bustles to Ballots’ Exhibit at the President Benjamin Harrison Home. An ongoing exhibit in the Carriage House featuring a display of the First Ladies from Martha Washington to Michelle Obama. Open Mon-Sat, 10 AM to 3:30 PM (plus Sun, 12:30-3:30 PM in June and July). Info: See Web site below or call 317-631-1888. President Benjamin Harrison Home, 1230 North Delaware Street, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.pbhh.org/Collections/Suffrage.php [Ref #358764] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 10:00 AM. Jolly Days Winter Wonderland at the Children’s Museum. Bring the holidays to life in the new and improved magical wonderland. Yule Slide, visit Jingles and his friends, go ice fishing, get a photo with Santa, and more. Nov. 27 to Jan. 10: Tue-Sun, 10-5 (closed Dec. 25). Info: 317-334-3322. Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, 3000 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.childrensmuseum.org/jollydays/index.php [Ref #380169] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 10:30 AM. Gingerbread Land at The Play Connection. Ride the trains thru a snow covered holiday world, gingerbread station, join Santa’s mouse, holiday puppets, make an ornament, make a play about the first Santa. Dec 8-23: Tue-Thu, 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM, plus Dec. 19, 6-9 PM. Info: 317-918-4359. The Play Connection, 9221 Crawfordsville Road, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.theplayconnection.com [Ref #379191] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 11:00 AM. Festival of Trees at Lanthier Winery in Madison. One of the nation’s largest holiday displays with more than 75 trees fully decorated for the holiday season. Nov. 27 to Dec. 23: Wed-Sun, 11-5. Info: See Web site below or call 812-273-2409. Lanthier Winery, 123 Mill Street, Madison, Jefferson County. http://www.lanthierwinery.com [Ref #330911] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 11:00 AM. ‘Eighteenth-Century Furniture Design’ Exhibit at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. 30+ 18th-century prints of furniture design from France, Germany and especially England and related pieces of furniture. May 23 to Feb. 21, 2010 during regular hours. Info: See Web site or call 317-923-1331. Indianapolis Museum of Art, 4000 Michigan Road, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.imamuseum.org [Ref #364410] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 11:30 AM. Public Ice Skating Session at the Indiana World Skating Academy. Nov. 30, 2009 to Jan. 31, 2010: Mon-Fri 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM; Fri 8-10 PM and 10:30 PM to 12 AM; Sat 1:30-3:30, 4-6, 8-10 PM and 10:30 PM-12 AM; Sun 1:30-3:30 and 4-6 PM. Skate rental and group rates available. Info: 317-237-5555. Indiana World Skating Academy, 201 South Capitol Avenue, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.iwsa.org [Ref #379795] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 1:00 PM. ‘A Beef and Boards Christmas’ at Beef and Boards Dinner Theatre. Songs, holiday greetings, and a visit from Santa himself in a glittering variety show format. Nov. 27 to Dec. 31: Show times vary by performance date. Info: See Web site below or call 317-872-9664. Beef and Boards Dinner Theatre, 9301 Michigan Road, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.beefandboards.com [Ref #380124] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 5:00 PM. ‘Christmas at the Zoo’ at the Indianapolis Zoo. Dec. 4-30 (closed Dec. 24-25): 5-9 PM. Zoo opens at noon with regular zoo activities, then the full Christmas at the Zoo activities begin at 5 PM, highlighted by the huge light show. Info: See Web site below or call 317-630-2001. Indianapolis Zoo, 1200 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.indyzoo.com [Ref #380452] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 6:00 PM. The Buzzkills Live at the Rathskeller Restaurant. 6-9 PM. Featuring a live music performance at this popular downtown restaurant. Live music Thu-Sat in December (plus Wed, Dec. 23; not Dec. 24-25). Info: See Web site below or call 317-636-0396. Rathskeller Restaurant, 401 East Michigan Street, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.rathskeller.com [Ref #376492] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 7:00 PM. Brian Culbertson in Concert at the Murat Theatre. Featuring the popular smooth jazz keyboardist and trombonist. Tickets: Murat Box Office or Ticketmaster. Info: See Web site below or call 317-231-0000. Murat Theatre, 502 North New Jersey Street, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.murat.com [Ref #381317] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 7:00 PM. ‘A Very Phoenix Xmas 4: Our Stockings Are Stuffed’ at the Phoenix Theatre. Nothing and no one is sacred in this grab bag of theatrical vaudeville and TV variety show with all the irreverence of Monty Python. Nov. 27 to Dec. 20: Thu at 7 PM, Fri/Sat at 8 PM, Sun at 2 PM. Info: See Web site or call 317-635-7529. Phoenix Theatre, 749 North Park Avenue, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.phoenixtheatre.org [Ref #378295] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 7:00 PM. College Women’s Basketball at Ball State University. Wisconsin-Green Bay v. Ball State. Info: See Web site below or call 765-285-1474. Ball State University, Worthen Arena, Muncie, Delaware County. http://www.ballstatesports.com [Ref #376447] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 7:30 PM. ‘Cirque Dreams Illumination’ at Emens Auditorium in Muncie. A magical metropolis with urban acrobatics and never before seen phenomenal thrills of disbelief. Tickets: Venue Box Office. Info: See Web site below or call 765-285-1539. Emens Auditorium, Ball State University, Muncie, Delaware County. http://www.bsu.edu/emens [Ref #366500] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 7:30 PM. Varsity Boy’s Basketball at Warren Central High School. Fishers at Warren Central. Info: See Web site below or call 317-532-6233. Warren Central High School, 9500 East 16th Street, Indianapolis, Marion County. wchs.warren.k12.in.us/ [Ref #381530] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 8:30 PM. Live Comedy at Crackers Comedy Club Downtown. Live comedy Wed-Sat: Wed-Thu at 8:30 PM, Fri/Sat at 8 and 10:30 PM. Scheduled to appear: See Web site below; verify with venue. Info: 317-631-3536. Crackers Comedy Club Downtown, 247 South Meridian Street, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.crackerscomedy.com [Ref #341394] | Remind Me

* Thursday, December 10, 2009, 9:00 PM. Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Vogue Nightclub. Live performance, seated and standing. Doors at 8 PM, show at 9 PM. No smoking show. $10 at the door. Info: See Web site below or call 317-259-7029. Vogue Nightclub, 6259 North College Avenue, Indianapolis, Marion County. http://www.thevogue.ws [Ref #383073] | Remind Me

———–

AND.
    THAT’S.
    JUST.
    THURSDAY.

21. The Artist says:

Angels vote full playoff share to Adenhart estate

The Los Angeles Angels voted to give a full postseason share to the estate of Nick Adenhart, the rookie pitcher killed in April in a car accident allegedly caused by a drunken driver.

The Angels’ shares were worth $138,039. Los Angeles lost to the New York Yankees in the AL championship series.

Good job. Nice gesture on their part.

22. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Saints fans look like they just left an ICP concert.

23. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Coverage wasn’t blown. It evaporated.

24. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Predator is just running over theaux Saints.

25. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Since it’s an open thread, I have a meeting in Park Slope tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good place to go before the meeting? A nice cafe would be great.

26. Ivan says:

Man, that offense from the saints seem unstoppable at times.

27. Bryan says:

Native New Yorker now living in Indy….contact me off-line for places to go and eat, etc!

28. JMK aka The Overshare says:

I can’t believe Faulk is still alive after that.

29. Ivan says:

What a hit by Sharper.

30. JMK aka The Overshare says:

More annoying: Chris Berman or Jar Jar Binks?

31. Reggie C. says:

Thank you RANDY !

Make this a game. I can’t stand the idea of an undefeated NFC squad that pummeled my big blue.

32. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Kaaaaaaahhhhhhhhnnnnnn!!!!!!

33. Ivan says:

Wow the Pats D=Universal fail.

34. southernyankeefan says:

The fact that i was offered a ticket to this game and had to miss it because of final tomorrow makes me angry.

35. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Saints play physical football. Take note, Giants.

36. Did that guy have a piece of headgear shaped like a…whistle?

37. Ivan says:

Remember when ppl killed Belichick for going for it on 4th and 3? Doesn’t look so crazy uh when you watch the pats play defense especially in the secondary.

38. JMK aka The Overshare says:

I text PC Sheriff all the time to report crime. It’s my civic duty. Then they say things like, “that isn’t a crime” or “you don’t even live in this county”. I expect better out of my civil servants.

39. Salty Buggah says:

Nice to Mike Bell having a job. He was pretty good in Denver as one of those undrafted RBs. Then, he had a odd case of fumblitis and got cut. I remember when he and Tatum Bell would be our 2-headed attack. The TV graphics would compare them with the title of the graphic being things like “For whom the Bell tolls”

40. EJC says:

From the useless information area… just came back from Disney in Orlando. One thing that I do while walking around the park and waiting in line is to count the caps and shirts of MLB teams just to get a feel who has the most fans. Of course this is biased because it is on the East Coast (so didn’t expect to count any Mariners Caps) but maybe someone will find this interesting. Here were my totals:

Yankees: 45
    Red Sox: 14
    Rays: 6
    Mets: 5
    Phillies: 3
    White Sox: 2
    Tigers: 2
    Blue Jays: 1
    Braves: 1
    Rangers: 1

To my surprise — zero Cubs, Cardinals, and Marlins (it is in Florida). I expected the Yankees and Red Sox to be one two but didn’t think it would of been by this much.

• Salty Buggah says:

FWIW, from my memory, in Colorado, it’s Yankees (tiny tiny gap), Red Sox (large gap, Rays (small gap), White Sox (insignificant gap), and then Phillies (non Rockies of course).

Was this only for Disneyworld or outside of it too? Because if its only for Disney itself, it makes sense that there were not any Marlins caps. Most of those people are tourists and not necessarily Florida residents.

• I think it’s interesting. My friend and I sometimes count Yankee jerseys before going into the stadium just to see who has the most representation.

41. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Game. Set. Match.

42. Riddering says:

Wow. That was the easiest interception I’ve seen in a while. Brady, dude, don’t change.

43. Brooklyn Ed - slacking in class now says:

hmmm..totally not my business, but was just wondering you dating mike ashmore? the writer for trenton?