Nov

Open thread: World Series bling

1996 World Series ring

People still say bling, right? Okay, good.

Anyway, longtime reader Sam P. sent along a link to the unoriginally named World Series Rings site, which, as you may have guessed, features all of the World Series rings dating back to 1922. They’ve got the 1996 ring you see above, plus 1998, 1999, pretty much all of ‘em. It’s amazing how ugly some of them are, like the 1973 A’s or the 1997 Marlins. Not to upset the natives, but the 2004 Red Sox ring is one mighty fine piece of jewelry.

That site is a great way to kill some time, so thanks to Sam for tipping us off.

Once you’re done perusing the rings, feel free to use this as your open thread. There’s no baseball or football tonight, obviously, and the only local team in action are the Rangers, who don’t play until 10pm ET because they’re out in Vancouver. Talk about whatever you want, just make sure you follow the guidelines and be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

1. radnom says:

Holy shit.

Don’t jinx it.

2. Not to upset the natives, but the 2004 Red Sox ring is one mighty fine piece of jewelry…

… FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!

3. I remember seeing the 1998 ring on Willie’s finger while getting an autograph from him at the Westchester County Center and thinking “Holy crap that thing is huge!”

4. Sam P. says:

Hey! Thanks for sharing that link to the general public. Some cool designs there. I thought the 1953 “Five in a row” was a neat Yankee one.

I like the 1996 one best since it was their first WS win that I remember (I was a freshman in college that fall).

• RCK says:

Finally someone the same age as me around here! I often feel like a grandma.

• Pasqua says:

I would be your age as well, boys. 1996 Championship = watching the game while playing poker in the dorm (well, others playing poker while I stared anxiously at the tv).

5. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

It looks like in 1999, Jacob the Jeweler took over the designs. With that being said, the 2003 Marlins ring is the pimpest of all Non-Yankee rings there is.

Where’s the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays American League Championship rings…..so sad. They did give replica’s to all fans on opening night.

6. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Anaheim’s ring is as boring as Anaheim.

7. Dela G says:

i seem to always forget that the reds won a championship in 1990…

8. Mark B says:

Damn, just the sight of that drops my jaw a bit.

Operation Reclaim Title is almost complete….

9. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Fun with lohud:

Melancon is sure as heck more reliable than Coke or Bruney. He is also better than meltdown Burnett….

I want to see some entertaining responses to this shit.

• Riddering says:

With Melancon on the roster, the Yanks still would have hit fewer batters than the Phillies.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

This is why I advocated bringing in Andrew Brackman. They’re both wild but something tells me it would be a lot more fun to watch Brackman throwing 98 anywhere from the batter to the hot dog salesman. Of course, this is assuming he has regained his velocity.

• ROBTEN says:

If Girardi would allow Melancon to throw his other pitches, he could start and we could leave Hughes and Joba in the pen.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

You forgot to add the “/sarcasm”. WE’VE JUST REACHED DEFECATION CON 5.

/did I do that right? Hmmm…it sounds good but it looks bad.

• ROBTEN says:

What’s “sarcasm”?

Melancon has the bull-dog mentality that would make him a serviceable starter.

/yes, it is all sarcasm and in jest

Although, to give credit where it is due, it was based upon the beautiful absurdity that is this gem from Madden:

Robertson to the rotation

• I can’t believe he said that. Yesterday, he wrote that Chamberlain will definitely be in the ‘pen next year and that the Joba rules failed. I wrote a post today entitled “Bill Madden Doesn’t Understand Innings Limits.”

• I wrote a post today entitled “Bill Madden Doesn’t Understand Innings Limits things or concepts.”

Fixed.

• ROBTEN says:

That’s not fair. I get the sense that Bill Madden doesn’t understand lots of things about baseball (and life).

I mean, what about this piece of…”wisdom”…on Cano from today’s paper:

“The Yankee second baseman, who has played this entire postseason like he can’t wait to get home to the warm weather of the Dominican Republic, is batting a robust .167 in his first World Series.”

Nothing like a little racism to make a column sparkle.

• Wise..Buddha…Hair.

You get where I’m going with this.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

• I don’t see the racism. Cano is Dominican. That’s like if CC were pitching badly saying he can’t get home to the wrmth of California. I don’t see racism.

Here’s how it’s racist: He didn’t say it about CC. Or about Mark Teixeira, who’s also having a shitty World Series, for that matter. I wonder why Robbie is singled out for not caring while Tex doesn’t get thrown under the bus, do you?

When Swisher was in that 3-for-28 stretch, did Madden say “He looks like he can’t wait to get down to his vacation home in Southern California!”

It’s racism by conspicuous omission or inclusion. Only one player gets called out for not caring: Cano.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

I believe bigotry and racism are different.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

You’re getting very deep into the subconscious there, though. Besides, it’s not like there isn’t concrete evidence to back up his not caring. Larry Bowa said it himself.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:
                  I believe bigotry and racism are different.

Good point, but I feel the “Dominican players are lazy and don’t care” strain of semi-conscious narrative is more an example of racism, because people who you would not outright call “bigoted” still adhere to this racist meme.

• ROBTEN says:

I think that this is an important issue, so I would like to take time to explain my reading of the quote.

The “Dominican players are lazy and don’t care” narrative is part of a long tradition of attempting to explain away the effects of social inequality in terms of what might be called “moral” failings which are the result of racial differences. That it is used in this instance to explain performance on the baseball field doesn’t matter. The key issue is that it gets repeated so often that it is part of the cultural consciousness such that, whether or not the writer is “aware” of what is being said, it becomes an easily available narrative that is used to explain not just Cano’s performance, but the presupposed failings of an entire group of people without having to address the history of racism, oppression and exploitation.

Consider, for instance, what Hume, one of the central figures of the Enlightenment, wrote in 1753 to explain away slavery (and the struggle against it) in the Caribbean. After proposing that people of color have not produced “ingenious manufactures…no arts, no science,” he writes:

“In Jamaica indeed they talk of one negroe as a man of parts and learning [Francis Williams, the Cambridge educated poet who wrote verse in Latin]; but ’tis likely he is admired for very slender accomplishments, like a parrot, who speaks few words plainly”

While the sentence in question might not seem as overtly racist as what Hume writes, it shares the same cultural history. In both cases, it is implied that people of color are not as “industrious,” “clever,” or “intelligent” as their white counterparts. A point which is routinely repeated in talking about athletes.

• Pasqua says:

That’s the most unabashed “knowledge drop” in the history of RAB.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Or, he thinks Cano is lazy.

Just saying!

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Yeah, we’re in uncharted territory here at RAB.

• Kiko Jones says:

The other side of the Madden coin is—believe it or not—Pete Rose who, when recently asked what he thought of the vast number of Latin American players in the majors, responded with a crack about American kids being too lazy and video game-addicted while the Latin American kids work really hard to be in the majors.

• Renny Baseball says:

Illuminating discussion. Love it. Nothing wrong with pushing into uncharted territory.

10. Riddering says:

The 2001 Yankee ring was gaudy as hell. A++

11. The Phillies 2008 ring is garishly tacky, even by championship ring standards.

12. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Is the Jays ’92 ring rusting?

13. Tom Zig says:

Jerry Colangelo got world champion cufflinks too (2001)?

odd

14. GK says:

Jesus, the D’Backs ring in 2001 is horrendous. Miserable attempt at incorporating pottery into some bling.

15. I’ll say what everyone is thinking but doesn’t want to say:

The Yankees 1998, 1999, and 2000 rings are all ugly. Blech.

16. radnom says:

I accidentally went to

riveraveblues.com/w

and was redirected to the post about Wagner going to Boston. Switch out the letter and get treated to a wonderful blast from the past starting with the chosen letter.

For example:

G -> Eric Gange trade to Boston. That worked out well.

I -> A post about how Kyle Farnsworth was having a great season (really).

You can add multiple letters but there is more chance that nothing will be found.

17. Sam P. says:

I hadn’t looked at that site (similar to the WS rings but about demolished MLB stadiums) before – there are some neat pictures there of places like the Polo Grounds / Ebbets Field. Definitely worth a look if you want to kill some time.

18. Holy crap!

Vincente Padilla shot accidentally by bodyguard.

I don’t have a Spanish dictionary on hand, but from what I can tell: the bodyguard discharged accidentally and Padilla is out of danger.

If you guys want I can grab the dictionary and do a full translation, just let me know. (I am that bored).

19. Greg G. says:

Line of the night, courtesy of my wife: “Of course the 1994 Red Sox ring is really nice, they had a lot of time to design it.”

20. The Artist says:

Call me sick and crazy, but is anyone else secretly hoping for a drama-packed Game 7? A Yanks-Phillies rivalry would be instantly born, one that could be repeated in the next few years in the Fall Classic. The game would be a nail biter on every pitch. That’s great World Series Baseball, and is the type of sports drama that lives on forever. People still talk about the 1990 Super Bowl, nobody ever talks about 1986. Why? One game went down to the last second, the other was a blowout.

It’s fitting. They’re two great yet flawed teams, it would be a slugfest heavyweight match of two very similar fighters. Like Hagler-Hearns, both get in the ring with the similar skills and the same idea, which is to knock the other guy’s head off. Both teams have great lineups, decent starters and a shaky bridge to the closer. 7 game series typically shift from advantage-Pitcher to advantage-Hitters sometime around the middle of the set. The hitters just saw the starter a few days ago, so it’s more difficult to fool them the second time around. We saw that just last night, where AJ Burnett went from great to garbage in just one start. As dominating as Cliff Lee was for the entire month October, even he gave up 5 Runs facing the tough Yankee lineup. As crafty as Pedro is and as battle tested as Andy is, it’s difficult to see either one faring any better tomorrow night.

I’m very confident that the Yanks would prevail, but they would dance on the edge of the cliff before getting there. You would be convinced the season is over in the 4th inning and planning the parade in the 5th, and keep going back and forth with each out. That’s the kind of drama that only a great World Series match up can give you, and were on the verge of seeing it happen. I say bring it on.

21. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

BTW, regardless of who wins the series, barring an epic Reggie-like game from a Yankee, I vote Utley for MVP.

If we all agree that it shouldn’t mater whether an MVP candidate’s team makes the playoffs in the regular season, why should it change in the postseason? He’s the Most Valuable Player on both teams, even if his team isn’t doing the job around him.

22. I wonder if the Yankees would risk offering Damon arbitration to avoid having to go multiple years. Perhaps they could do this if other teams want to give Damon a multi-year deal. I doubt they would do this, but it is somewhat possible. Kind of. Maybe.

23. wanger says:

Who gets a WS ring? only the players on the immediate roster or what?

24. D says:

Does anyone else feel as if the Yanks pitchers were getting squeezed in Philly? It just felt like the Phils pitchers were getting the benefit of the doubt on most borderline calls while the Yanks were not. Not that I’m complaining about the umps or anything…

25. southernyankeefan says:

Watch world series game six or make 6 hour drive for job interview?????

26. Kieth Olberman just called Damon’s steal the smartest play in World Series history.

27. JMK aka The Overshare says:

If anyone’s ever been curious as to why Philly fans are such assholes, watch Parking Wars.

28. misterd says:

I Love the Braves ’95 ring – Team of the Decade

Talk about presumptuous. Forget the fact that the decade was only half over, the Blue Jays had already won 2 series in 2 appearances, the Braves 1 series in 3 appearances.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Good point; you could make a decent arguement for Toronto as team of the decade before the Bombers came along.

• misterd says:

To be fair, the Bombers weren’t that good from 90-92, decent in ’93. The “Dynasty” really started in 94, but since it is only credited from 96-99 – four years, one could still make the argument that the Braves were the dominant team throughout the decade, no matter how many rings they finally won (which, of course, was one).

It still doesn’t take away the fact that calling yourself “team of the decade” in year 5 is premature.

29. Mike R says:

I’m not sure if this has already been posted (it’s from yesterday). But it’s a funny article nonetheless.

• Salty Buggah says:

Holy fuck! That’s my homework for Economics. I gotta read that and have a short little essay/quiz on it. I hadn’t seen it yet but she was saying how it discusses that so that has to be it. Hilarious, because I just came here and was about to post that.

• Mike R says:

haha I wish I had your economics teacher. I go to Temple, so everything and everyone is 100% Phillies. I’ve been sportin’ my Paul O’Neill jersey for most of the game days. I’m convinced there isn’t a single soul in Philly that knows who #21 is.

The funny thing about being at Temple is that no one has any Phillies gear that is more than 4 years old. Stupid phucking phront runners.

• Salty Buggah says:

Haha, yea. Stuff like that will happen in the city of recent champions.

My Econ teacher is awesome. I found out she’s huge Yanks fan today too so that was even more awesome.

• The Artist says:

“The Phillies’ connection to economic turmoil has been documented”

That line cracked me up.

30. SYRACUSE LOST TO MOTHERFUCKING LEMOYNE

THAT IS IT I HAVE NO FAITH IN HUMANITY ANY MORE

31. Salty Buggah says:

OK, so I had a huge Economics exam today. I went in early for help, when I found out my professor is a die-hard Yanks fan. She started talking about being pissed that we didnt win it yesterday but says she’s sure we will win. Although I ended up getting little help, it was awesome talking Yanks with her. Oddly, the TA for that class is also a huge Yanks fan.

32. Sam says:

For anyone else who follows this stuff, Yankees are big favorites in Vegas for Game 6:
    Yankees -200
    Phillies +170

Even Vegas already knows we’re going to win…AND THEN WE’RE GONNA GO SHOOT GUNS AND PUNCHFUCK STRIPPERS!

33. Salty Buggah says:

My friend, a Phillies fan, said that A-Rod’s performance so far in the postseason, while good, is hardly dominating.

Pssh, hater.

34. Rey22 says:

Wow, the 92 Blue Jays one is ugly ugly shit.

35. Pasqua says:

Was hoping someone could confirm or deny a baseball urban legend for me. I thought of this while reading the comments about the Diamondbacks earlier.

True or false: Following one of the Diamondbacks victories against the Yankees in the ’01 WS (maybe Game 6 or 7?) the PA system began to play “New York, New York” a la Yankees Stadium, only to abruptly cut the song off with sounds of an explosion (of course, this was only a month-and-a-half after 9/11). I remember hearing something about it very briefly following the game, and then it was never mentioned again.

Random, yes, but it just came back to me.

36. Jer says:

Best bar near Yankee Stadium is…