Nov

Pujols named NL MVP, again

Albert Pujols was unanimously named NL MVP today, beating out Hanley Ramirez and Ryan Howard by considerable margins, as you can imagine. The 29-year-old Pujols has been in the league for nine years, earning three MVP’s and seven top three finishes in the voting. He’s a machine.

Here’s the voting. Who voted for Jeremy Affeldt? I mean come on.

Categories : Asides

1. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Yunel Escobar got a 5th place vote? Really?

2. A.D. says:

Who voted for Jeremy Affeldt? I mean come on.

Ohhhh the holds!!!

3. Mike Axisa says:

Matt Holliday got a 4th place vote.

4. Toki says:

When it’s all said and done he’ll go down as the greatest hitter off all-time.

5. Colombo says:

All 4 major awards were correct this year. I’m impressed.

6. Moshe Mandel says:

14 voters left Utley off. Buzz is getting the right guys to win, but after that it is all 1Bmen again. We haven’t learned anything.

• A.D. says:

Baby steps

• Doug says:

and your expectations were…..

• Bo says:

Why doesnt driving in runs and creating runs mean anything??? I guess Pujols shouldnt have won??

Next time we can give it to a middle infielder because he plays the tougher position

• Doug says:

nobody said they don’t mean anything. just that other things mean more, like getting on-base. oh, and mr. pujols does that quite well too

• Moshe Mandel says:

No, Pujols should have won. Can you ever make a comment without putting words in someone’s mouth? And you hit on the key point- driving in runs AND creating runs. Utley was actually better than Howard at the combination of those two things. Throw in the fact that he does play a position where it would be harder to replace him, and you have a guy who should have finished 3rd at worst.

• Riddering says:

There’s something more wrong with Utley being left off that many ballots than just a 1B fetish. For whatever reason, people just don’t view him as the best Phillies player. It’s insane, considering his bat alone is worth more than Howard’s, but it’s true.

Maybe Jeter can hook him up with an Edge.

7. Rose says:

By the way, the guy who voted #1 for Miguel Cabrera wasn’t even from Detroit…he was from Seattle. Some guy wrote an article about it…mad that Mauer didn’t become the first catcher in history to win by unanimous vote.

8. Jordan says:

Zimmerman got hosed.

9. Jim says:

If I were voting I would definitely put some scrubs at the end of the ballot. Who wouldn’t want to see Ross Gload on the MVP results?

10. JM says:

Why did Coghlan get a vote? I know he was ROY, but by no means was he even considered to be in the top 10 most valuable players of the NL.

11. Thomas says:

Both Carpenter and Wainwright got more votes than Lincecum.

12. Christos says:

According to the MVP ballot, Chris Carpenter was the NL Cy.

13. vin says:

“The 29-year-old Pujols has been in the league for nine years, earning three MVP’s and seven top three finishes in the voting.”

And 8 top four finishes. He’s unreal.

• Colombo says:

I don’t think so. Pujols would definitely be in that group of players with Jeter and Mo that, if it ever came out they did steroids, I would stop watching baseball. Forever.

• Rose says:

Why? What makes Pujols different than some of these other guys that got caught? Derek Jeter represents the face of baseball and everything every player should be. Albert Pujols just smashes the ball and quietly plays the game in St. Louis with everybody else down there (not named LaRussa – DUI)

• Rose says:

Every single player that has put up superhuman numbers has gotten caught for the most part. The odds are against Pujols. Bonds, Arod, Manny, Ortiz, McGuire, Giambi, Sheffield, etc.

• Guest says:

I think you would only be harming yourself, Colombo. Why does it make a difference to you who cheated? The fact of the matter is, many people cheated. Many people cheated in other ways well before steroids were invented. You apparently still enjoy the game with the knowledge that some of its stars have cheated. Given this history of cheating that you have tolerated to this point, why does the become so unwatchably impure just because it was one of the “sainted ones” that cheated?

Nothing about the game of baseball would change for me if it turned out that Jeter, Rivera, or Pujols took steroids. They would just be another in a long line of stars who besmirched their legacy by taking a PED.

A nicely turned double play would still look sweet; a diving catch in the outfield would still cause me to leap of my couch (in joy or disappointment); and the game would remain just as beautiful, if imperfect, as it has always been.

14. Bo says:

It’s a subjective thing. There is no set standard on how and who to vote for. Now I’m sure the guy who voted for Jeremy Affeldt really thought he was valuable.

He also gets every blogger to know his name and now search his stories and see what else hes done. Better for him.

15. Reggie C. says:

David Wright should garner more love in 2010, if he ever manages to hit more than a half dozen homers at Citi.

• Riddering says:

Are you implying he didn’t receive the consideration he deserved in 2009?

• Reggie C. says:

Adam Rubin could’ve thrown the Mets organization a bone and voted David Wright at #10. (j/k … Rubin would’ve caught some hell).

Not one Met player named. Wow. That caps off the kind of season the org endured. Anyways, i think Wright finishes top 5 next year.

16. Raf says:

there are some wacky votes on that list.

and yes, Pujols is a machine.

17. pat says:

Say what you want, but Affelt like this reliever was a very important part of his team.

18. Why in the fuck is Chase Utley not higher up on this list? It’s fucking ridiculous that he consistently gets less consideration than Ryan Howard.

19. Steve H says:

I hope the guy who voted for Affeldt comes out and says he did it to prove that the voting system is a mockery. Otherwise, he should have his vote stripped. It’s insane.

20. Steve H says:

Back to Affeldt for a second, though.

I’ve got an MVP vote this year, and while I’m not going to reveal my selections until after the results are announced, I’m fairly certain I’ll reserve the 10th spot on my ballot for Affeldt.

He has a 1.84 ERA in a team-high 72 games and he’s been the most statistically dominant and impressive non-save earning relief pitcher in the NL. In terms of value, that ranks him pretty high in my book.

21. Guest says:

Albert Pujols…29…

To Quote Arsenio Hall: “Things that make you go Hmmmmmm………”