Nov

Saturday Night Open Thread

There’s really not much going on right now, that tends to happen during that weird 15-day gap between the end of the World Series and when free agents hit the true open market. If you’re looking for something to read, check out this post on the high inside fastball by Nick Steiner at THT. That’s some good stuff.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. The Nets, Isles, and Devils are all in action, plus there’s a ton of college football games being played. Talk about whatever you like, just be nice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. JMK the Overshare, you are from my hometown.

Spill.

Who the hell are you? Do I know you?

2. Joey says:

My school beat #13 Houston! Fuck yea! Partying hard tonight

3. Keanu Reeves says:

Any way to watch the Isles game tonight without having center ice? Are they on Versus or anything?

4. Salty Buggah says:

So I’ve been researching all day yesterday and today to write an essay on a topic discussed in the book GloboChrist, which I didn’t understand at all so I gave up after Ch.1. Now I somewhat know some of the points in the book. But all of my research is going to waste as it won’t really help me in what I’m supposed to write and now I’m also changing the subject. Researching starts all over for me. I still have to write the essay itself. :(

Also, I have a research paper due tomorrow night in addition to this and that’s supposed to take me longer. Fuck this class and my life.

• Salty Buggah says:

And I havent even started that research paper at all yet. All I know is that I am writing about the impact of globalization on Sikhism in America. I’m stressing out like crazy here.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Check out EBSCO, JSTOR and other online databases. That should help quite a bit with the research aspect. As far as formulating the paper itself, do you have a particular method you often adhere to? I prefer detailed outlines.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea, I’m on Ebsco right now. Found 3 articles but I’m still not sure what to right about. There are a lot of ideas in the book. I’ve narrowed it down to three:

Islam and Christianity and the “Clash of Revelations,” not a class of civilizations in the future

Christianity in India and how its increasing

Secularism in Europe; Godless Europe

I’m leaning towards the 2nd one because I can somewhat create a good argument about how its increasing there.

• Salty Buggah says:

*not class, but Clash of civilizations

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

I’ll abstain for putting forth any sort of religious opinion, even though it’s an open thread, it’ll be of little use to anyone.

I’m still a bit unclear as to what exactly the paper’s requirement is.

Is it about Sikhism in America (huge population centers in Queens and California, I know–you could try to research how their cultural identity is meshing with the mobile, interactive nu-tech America), Islam as it relates to/is different in its basic tenants from Christianity or about mounting secularism in Europe (there have been quite a few articles from known American Christian leaders of late, as they worry America is quickly following Europe’s secularism)?

Do you get to choose any of these? If so, how are they related to Sikhism in America?

• Salty Buggah says:

No its not about any religion opinions, which kinda sucks because thats why I signed up for the class. It’s about the effects of globalization on particular religions.

And the Sikhism and Christianity papers are two separate ones BTW.

• Salty Buggah says:

For this paper, this is what I have to do:

“Develop a brief thesis of no more than several sentences about how the new “globalized Christianity”, discussed in various ways in the book GLOBOCHRIST, has become manifest in a certain region or continent of the world – e.g., Europe, East Asia (China, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.), South Asia (India, Pakistan, Afghanistan), the Middle East, Europe, North America, South America. Your thesis does not have to be proven in advance, but should be plausible or “cogent” based on what you’ve read in the assigned book, found on the internet, or have learned on your own. It cannot be based simply on your own barely informed opinion.”

Easy enough but kinda hard at the same time. The only thing that killed me was that I didnt undertstand and completely read the book so I had to research a lot about it.

• Salty Buggah says:

And of course, I have to then write the paper itself using “certified documentary sources”

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Oh man! I was totally onboard when it was just the thesis. Give me a few minutes and I’ll help you develop a decent thesis. Heads up, though, I’m not particularly well-versed in the changing shifts in global Christianity. I know quite a bit more about global Islam (though not anywhere approaching the level of scholar).

• I took a history course in which everything we read/used for writing was a primary source. That was annoying.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea it definitely is annoying

• Reading first person accounts of the Rawandan genocide was not fun.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

OK, total shot in the dark I just threw together.

As traditional states in Western Europe continue to grow more secular, while the divide between Islam and Western beliefs widens, the global Christian imperative to spread and maintain its ideologies is dependent upon the United States’ active role in spreading its culture, the foundation of which is rooted in Christianity.

• Salty Buggah says:

I like it and its well written…but I dont think its what I’m looking for. I have to focus one idea. I’ve decided to focus on Christianity in India.

• Salty Buggah says:

Thanks for your effort though. I’d use that if I wasn’t writing this dumb paper.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

No problem. Good luck!

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

One last tidbit: My best friend spent a year in India practicing medicine/studying there. I forget what region he spent most of his time, but whatever. Anyway, he says that Indians there are fascinated by whites, particularly Americans. I can’t personally verify this, as I’ve never been there. More to the point, my friend’s claim stems from his belief that there is still a large degree of, and perhaps I’m reaching for the term, racism. The lighter-skinned Indians are thought to be more prosperous, industrious and “advanced”. Perhaps this is why Christianity, in the modern sense, is noted to be the religion of the prosperous white man, something they strive to be.

Also, he told me that most Indian movies involve an Indian man being much desired by white women.

Take this for what it’s worth—a second hand source that could potentially not be rooted in any reality or real circumstance.

Just throwing stuff out.

• NYTraveller says:

The relative social standing of light skin/dark skin in India is, in part, connected to the Hindu caste system. Indo-European invaders (Aryans) entered the subcontinent in succeeding waves beginning around 1500 BCE (the time of the destruction of the Indus Valley civilization centered on Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro). The castes formalized a power structure which relegated the older, native, darker-skinned peoples (Dravidians) to the lower castes.

Christianity entered India very early (traditionally through the missionary work of St. Thomas the Apostle); there is a very old Christian culture that was in contact with various Assyrian, Nestorian and other eastern versions of Christianity and was later influenced by the Roman Catholic Portuguese presence beginning in the late 15th century. The Malabar coast is a center of Indian Christianity.

Protestantism was expanded by Anglican, Presbyterian and Methodist missionaries in the 18th and 19th centuries as the British Raj established itself.

That’s off the top of my head (history teacher but not an India expert) and I more than likely left off some significant avenues of research, but if you look at the Syro-Malabar rite of Catholicism or the British missions or relatively recent commun ities of Christians and trace their growth and/or connection to the growth of other 20th century missionary efforts in Africa or China you may have a useful approach to fulfill your assignment. I’m sure there is some scholarly literature on JSTORs that would address some of this anyway. Good luck.

• NYTraveller says:

I should have added that Christianity has a dual appeal: as the religion of the upper class (British) rulers in the 19th c and the anglicized Indians (Gandhi, for instance) and as a faith that appeals to the poor, oppressed and forgotten like the lowest caste (Untouchables). Of course, the British connection cuts two ways and reduces the appeal of Christianity to nationalists which is often expressly connected to Hinduism.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Good points, NYT. Interestingly (or perhaps not, yeah, it’s not. Nevermind), the biggest ship-jumpers to Christianity are Hindi.

5. Finally got a PS3! Woo!

6. Mr. Max says:

I want some hotstove.

Trade for either David DeJesus or Matt Murton for LF?

Delmon Young? (He might be non-tendered)

Aaron Rowand?

Adam Dunn? (Basically a DH; LAST in UZR this year)

7. JobaWockeeZ says:

Woot Manny Pacquiao fight today!

8. Salty Buggah says:

Came across this: http://media.nowpublic.net/ima.....3a23e9.jpg

Makes no sense. Why T-Mobile?

9. Gatemouth says:

who do you guys like in the fight?

10. Anthony says:

Bah Syracuse and their losing ways, it’s gonna take a long, long time for that football program become a power again.

11. JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh damn! Crawford wants out of TB.
    Now is there a way for Tampa to say “Uhh yeah forget that we picked up his option…”

12. I cannot believe that on RAB I managed to run into another RABer from my hometown. That is way, way too whack.

13. Salty Buggah says:

“He’s pissed beyond belief.”

Oh, that’s just great. Kennedy for Crawford! (not serious)

OK, does Kennedy/Nova get it done?

14. JMK aka The Overshare says:

It’s funny to note the parallels between Salty’s globalization paper (making the world smaller, although his has a religion focus, but I digress) and the discovery of how closely some of our real-world RAB ties really are.

15. OH MY G-D OH MY G-D THE NETS MIGHT ACTUALLY WIN THIS GAME!!!

16. JMK aka The Overshare says:

^^^I wish I had teachers like this growing up, though there was one. Ms. Grayson. To this day I still believe she moonlighted as a stripper. She reeked of hangover and cigarettes every morning. But she was fine. Oh yes, you dirty, dirty skank. Tell me all about prepositions while I peer down your blouse. Tell me…

17. donttradecano says:

Brandon Jennings drops 55 tonight. Knicks make a mistake by passing on him?

18. Andrew says:

OH MY GOD MODERN WARFARE 2 AMAZING

19. Reggie C. says:

Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

May 2010

MO PLEASE MAKE IT SO !!!!

20. I don’t know why I’m watching, I thought I’d sworn it off, but I wish the pundits on The Sports Reporters had talked even half as passionately about the World Series as they just did some mid-season NFL games.