Nov

The RAB Radio Show, November 24, 2009

After a nearly season-long hiatus, the RAB Radio Show returns for the off-season. Information flow slowly from the Yankees, but that won’t stop us from speculating on their off-season moves. Our readers are some of the finest speculators out there, so we take on a number of questions regarding what the team can do this off-season. The topics are the usual suspects:

• What about trading for Halladay and signing Lackey? One reader suggested it, so Mike and I run down the feasibility of the idea and what it would mean for the short- and long-run.
  • Matt Holliday. There are plenty of questions regarding his candidacy for the left field gig, so we dive into that subject. It involves all left field options, including, of course, Johnny Damon.
  • In fact, we pretty much discuss the entire outfield situation for 2010. It’s a rough outlook now, but the Yanks could make a few moves to improve it.
  • Plenty more, too, on pitching, specifically the bullpen.

Podcast run time: 43:06

You know what the RAB Radio Show is great for? Downloading and listening to in the car. If you’re heading out of town for Thanksgiving, it’s the perfect accompaniment to a car ride with your family. Guaranteed your wife will enjoy. You can download the RAB Radio Show by right clicking that link and selecting Save As. You can play it in your browser by left clicking that link, or you can use the embedded player below. If you don’t subscribe to the RAB RSS feed, you can subscribe to the podcast feed on our server, or subscribe in iTunes.

Categories : Podcast

1. Aj says:

awesome it’s back!

2. Camilo Gerardo - your inception? fuck perception, go with what makes sense says:

grab your podcast, it’s on!

3. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I missed Axisa’s gruff, gravelled, New Yorkish accent.

4. Christos says:

Is it only my computer, or is this the last one from the regular season?

5. Chip says:

I could not figure out for the life of me how Wang was the 800 pound gorilla in the room and why this was a big deal. Then I realized that I’ve heard this one before….

6. whozat says:

dude, Joe, did you put some kind of weird flange on this or something?

7. Christos says:

Has someone e-mailed him to complain about it yet?

8. Mike Axisa says:

Sorry, sorry, we’ll fix it in a sec.

9. theyankeewarrior says:

Will you guys be talking about how the Yankees plan to add two relievers to the mix like Buster wrote via Mike on MLBTR?

Where does Olney get this from? They Yankees don’t need any relievers right now, let along two of them.

10. Tom Zig says:

New episode!

11. theyankeewarrior says:

Give up our first rounder for a set up man when we have other options and by the time the playoffs come one of Hughes or Joba will be in that role anyways.

5 starters – 4 playoff rotation spots = One starter becomes dominant 8th inning guy. I nominate Hughes.

Bottom line: Unless its a glaring need, you don’t address the set-up role through free agency. There are reasons that these guys aren’t closers. They cost a lot of money. They hurt your farm system.

/Farnsworth’d

• Rose says:

Hughes buckled under the pressure…

Joba wasn’t anything spectacular either…but he seems to love that role. They were both very successful…and rightfully so. They’re both VERY GOOD STARTERS…Papelbon was a good starter too (albeit not as good as them)…which could play into the fact that he’s a very good reliever (although this year he peeyou stunk up the joint when it counted)

If I absolutely had to pick one of them to start and one to relieve…I’d put Hughes in the rotation and Joba in the bullpen I think…that could very well change at any moment in time though…haha

• theyankeewarrior says:

Sure, you could be right. I just said Hughes because if he pitches the entire season, he may approach his innings limit. But they can both dominate in that role. Hughes pitched in pressure situations before. He was the last Yankee to win a playoff game before CC this year.

He came through all season, just ran out of gas in October/ November. But the point is that they are options. When you have solid options, you don’t give up a draft pick and hand out a huge contract to a “late innings” guy.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Hughes’ limit confirmed by Cashman shouldn’t be too major.

• Rose says:

He was the last Yankee to win a playoff game before CC this year.

I was at that game! It was also the last appearance of Roger Clemens…

Come to think of it…I’ve seen some pretty good games in my career

• “Hughes buckled under the pressure…”

1) That’s your perception. It could have been a number of issues, including fatigue. It could have been the pressure, it could have been other factors, or it could have been a combination of both.

2) Even if he did buckle under the pressure, that does not suggest he’ll do it again.

• Rose says:

Yeah, and just because you have a certain perception of me…doesn’t mean that I’ll necessarily not try to change either. But that doesn’t seem to change your perception of me regardless.

No need for response. Just saying. You might want to take your own advise sometimes.

/Just sayin’

P.S. I agree with what you said.

12. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Here’s what I’ve learned so far (about 20 minutes in):

We’re signing Fernando Rodney, John Lackey, and trading both Hughes and Joba for Halladay!

So excited!

13. ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

Will this be a regular feature again? Will we get earlier notice to send in questions if it’s not on a regular shedule?

14. J.R. says:

Great to see the RAB Radio Show back again. It truly is the best way to kill an hour at the office.

15. Aj says:

It was great, thanks guys!