Nov

Winter ball in Puerto Rico begins

As usual, the Arizona Fall League was off today since it’s a Sunday. The regular season ends on Thursday, and Surprise is buried in last place thanks to the second worst run differential (-21) in the league.

Here’s the winter ball updates…

Dominican Winter League
Abe Almonte: 7 G, 1 for 5 (.200), 3 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 SB
Juan Miranda: 4 G, 5 for 13 (.385), 3 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 SB – check out Mr. Miranda with the steal
Eduardo Nunez: 1 G, 1 for 3 (.333), 1 R, 1 BB
Wilkins Arias: 12 G, 9.1 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 8 K
Ivan Nova: 5 G, 4 GS, 25.2 IP, 17 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 17 K - studly
Jon Ortiz: 6 G, 4 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
Jose Valdez: 11 G, 12 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 K

Mexican Pacific League
Walt Ibarra: 19 G, 11 for 36 (.306), 7 R, 1 2B, 4 R, 2 BB, 12 K, 1 SB
Jorge Vazquez: 4 R, 3 for 15 (.200), 1 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 BB, 5 K – good to see him back from his shoulder injury and terrorizing pitchers again
Humberto Sanchez: 6 G, 7.1 IP, 11 H, 8 R, 7 ER, 7 BB, 5 K – eek

Venezuelan Winter League
Reegie Corona: 18 G, 13 for 40 (.325), 10 R, 5 2B, 6 RBI, 8 BB, 7 K, 1 SB
Edwar Gonzalez: 21 G, 18 for 63 (.286), 9 R, 2 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 9 RBI, 4 BB, 11 K, 3 SB, 3 CS
Carlos Mendoza: 3 G, 0 for 3, 3 K – fail
Jesus Montero: 9 G, 3 for 26 (.115), 2 R, 1 RBI, 3 BB, 4 K – he hasn’t played in about three weeks, though I suspect it’s nothing major … they play to win in these leagues, and if you’re not doing the job, you’ll sit
Luis Nunez: 11 G, 8 for 32 (.250), 1 2B, 6 RBI, 2 BB, 4 K – on-base ten times in 11 games and you don’t score a run? weak
Marcos Vechionacci: 15 G, 12 for 42 (.286), 5 R, 3 2B, 1 3B, 6 RBI, 4 BB, 9 K, 1 CS
Romulo Sanchez: 13 G, 16.1 IP, 10 H, 9 R, 6 ER, 8 BB, 22 K – he’s settled down after the bad start … love the K’s
Josh Schmidt: 8 G, 6 GS, 28.1 IP, 28 H, 20 R, 14 ER, 10 BB, 24 K
Pat Venditte: 7 G, 9.1 IP, 11 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 7 K - he’s gotten batters to ground into 4 double plays in those 9.1 IP, so he’s getting a little lucky
Eric Wordekemper: 3 G, 1 GS, 4.1 IP, 9 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 BB, 0 K

Puerto Rican League
Amaury Sanit: 1 G, 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K

Soon to be ex-Yankee Jose Molina is also playing in the PRL, though he hasn’t gotten into a game yet.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Drew says:

Damn, Nova is killing it.

• gxpanos says:

I’m sure Mike or someone said this, and I just missed it. But is the DWL a hitter’s league or pitcher’s league?

I respond to this comment because I’m friggin’ pumped about Nova, my favorite Yankee prospect for going on 4 years, and I’m hoping his numbers arent helped by the stadium dimensions or anything.

• Salty Buggah says:

So fortunate that he was returned. I was really hoping he would be returned because I was so intrigued by his stuff even though he didnt have good results yet. I remember the Yankees.com headline saying something like how Nova could be the one that got away (something involving these words). Thank Mo we still have him.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Not as much as Palabrakemper.

2. Reggie C. says:

Nova’s keeping ‘em off base. 4 free passes in 25 innings? Damn solid.

The Yanks should convert Romulo Sanchez to reliever. With the depth of starting pitching in AAA and already at the ML level, Rom-anche’s suspect control could be mitigated with shortened, focused outings. The K rate is great. There’s a dearth of young relief options to address.

• Steve H says:

He was relieving until they brought him over. Might as well keep him a starter, the transition from starter to reliever takes 1 day. The other way around takes months.

• whozat says:

Exactly. Having him start also gets him more innings, which means more stamina and more experience facing more hitters. It’s also a more structured and predictable workload, which is good for managing a guy’s development.

It’s not like he’s either going to make it as a starter or they’ll cut him.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea, I think thats how the Yanks like to groom their pitchers. Tell them to be starters until they are hundred percent sure they cant handle it. And if they are relievers for sure, I read somewhere that they usually have slightly longer outings. They do this to build up arm strength I guess. So they will always be capable of a greater workload in the Majors, once they make it.

• whozat says:

They did that very thing with Melancon for much of this season. He was doing 2-3 inning stints most of the time in AA.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yep, I remember

• TheLastClown says:

But didn’t that have more to do with his efficacy?

I thought he just wasn’t throwing enough pitches, so they had him go more innings.

Plus his is a case of TJS recovery, so you can’t really lump it in with an overall organizational strategy.

• Salty Buggah says:

No, I’ve read somewhere that the Yanks operate like that. Its something building them up to prevent future injuries.

• pat says:

Yanks usually have their good relievers go multiple innings because it allows for more time for in game adjustments. A lot of the time they are on a rotation similar to the starters. Yanks feel it is more beneficial for them to work their kinks out in game situations rather than the bullpen. Somebody somewhere did a featured article about it, it was online and it was featured in full color print in a magazine,. I feel as though it was a previous writer over at MVN. Somebody who read it will know what I’m talking about, otherwise I sound crazy, I know.

3. A.D. says:

check out Mr. Miranda with the steal

Designated pinch runner next year

4. Salty Buggah says:

“check out Mr. Miranda with the steal”

Was Jason Varitek catching?

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Heh. I wonder what V-Tek would hit in the AZFL. It’s a hitters league with a bunch of minor leaguers. Maybe he hits over .250??

5. Nick says:

Is DeLeon playing anywhere that y’all have heard of this winter?

• whozat says:

Yeah, but they decided not to talk about it. He’s just one of their highest-upside prospects, who cares? They know we want to hear about Jon Ortiz all day, all the time.

6. NC Saint says:

I blame Hugo Chavez for Venditte’s struggles. He knows the kid is a potential American hero, and he won’t stand for it.

7. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Juan Miranda has actually gone 5-7 with 2 doubles since this last update.

8. Jeff Levy says:

Jose Valdez has pitched well. 1.5 ERA in 12 innnigs. I also really like the 0 walks. Does he have a shot to be a reliever with the Yankees and compete for a bullpen spot?