Dec

Mets asked for Matsui’s medicals

NPB Tracker passes along a report (translated article) that says the Mets have asked agent Arn Tellem for the medical reports on Hideki Matsui‘s knees. We’ve already seen some speculation that the Mets could bring Godzilla to Flushing, possibly to play first base.  Despite his fantastic year with the stick, Matsui is a man without many options. There are more available DH’s than DH spots (like every winter), so Homer-deki needs all the leverage he can get, even though he’s going to use it against the Yankees.

1. Jeremy says:

Are the Mets trying to convert Citifield into a research hospital? They don’t need another injured player, which is what Matsui would become if he played a position.

2. A.D. says:

This would be a great idea for the Mets, and by great I mean terrible, a team coming off a injury riddled year doesn’t need to sign more oft injured players to try and play positions they shouldn’t be at.

3. Knowing the Mets, they were probably asking for the medicals on KAZ Matsui’s knees.

(Actually, knowing the Mets, they were probably asking for Hideki’s medicals, but if Tellem gave them Kaz’s instead, they’d never know until it was too late and they’d give Hideki a 3yr/30M deal to play 2B.)

4. Crazy Eyes Killa says:

hahahaaa

1) he can’t play the field
    2) he’s not Spanish

It feels great having nothing to do at work for a change, I’m all over RAB today

5. Rose says:

Don’t the Mets do this every time?

They’re always interested in ex-Yankees we still have interest in bringing back. We went through a more serious episode during Posada’s free agency a few years back…

There were stories for Arod, Rivera, Bernie Williams, etc.

6. ColoYank says:

As a native of upstate, I consider anything north of the imaginary line connecting the northern boundaries of Westchester and Rockland Counties as being upstate. You could also look to the Bureau of Labor Statistics for a definition (don’t know if you’ll find one, actually).

Most New Yorkers consider Flushing part of Long Island, in a way that Brooklyn definitely is not.

7. I wouldn’t mind Hideki going to the Mets. After the Yankees I watch more Mets games than anything else. That way I could still watch him, but if he fell apart it wouldn’t hurt the Yankees.

8. [...] MLBTR (h/t RAB), we’ve learned that the Mets inquired on the results of Hideki Matsui’s [...]

9. I sometimes wonder what the Mets’ plan is exactly.

10. Mike HC says:

Leave it to the Mets to think Matsui could play first base, or the outfield for that matter. They are running some team over there. Here is to thanking the man upstairs my father was Yankee fan. Unfortunately he also stigmatized me as a Jet fan. In Sanchez and Ryan I trust?

• Unfortunately he also stigmatized me as a Jet fan. In Sanchez and Ryan I trust?

Why wouldn’t you trust them?

Sure, they’ve both made some rookie mistakes… they’re rookies. They’ve both also shown amazing promise and potential, not to mention talent and smarts.

The future is bright.

• Mike HC says:

I hope so. I like Ryan. But he is dyslexic. I really don’t mean to offend anyone, but can that really be non factor when it comes to coaching? I don’t know. I guess it does not matter, but after I read that, it keeps popping into my head.

And Sanchez, to me, has become a running joke in the pocket. I hope he improves and he should improve, but it is straight ugly watching him play. All I can do is laugh half the time. Such is life as a Jets fan though. Glad to see at least one Jet fan in this world thinks the glass is half full.

We still could have had Favre under contract. We cut him.

• I’d rather have Mark Sanchez than Brett Favre every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I don’t regret that gambit in the least.

Favre is better than Sanchez NOW, yes.

He won’t be better than him for long. Brett’s at the end of the rope. We have our QB for the next 10 years now. Good shit.

• Mike HC says:

Favre will probably be better than Sanchez even when he is 50.

But I do appreciate the faith you have in the team. You are a better fan than I. Or at least a more optimistic one.

11. Bo says:

Talk about a team doing it on the cheap.

There are 2 all star power hitting lf’s out there for free and they want the guy who cant play the field anymore.

12. Bo says:

Talk about a team doing it on the cheap.