Dec

Open Thread: Recapping what went right and wrong

Over the past few weeks, we’ve been taking a look at what went right and what went wrong for the 2009 Yankees. Obviously, the former category got much more play. There were 13 posts in all, so in case you missed any of them, here’s a recap:

What Went Right

9. Andy Pettitte
  10. New Yankee Stadium

What Went Wrong

1. Chien-Ming Wang
  2. Robbie Cano with RISP
  3. The Joba Rules

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the evening. The Jets are taking on the Bills in Toronto, and the game will be on WPIX (channel 11) if you’re in the Tri-State Area and don’t have the NFL Network (like me). Rex Ryan brought Joe Girardi in to help Mark Sanchez with his slides, though that might not have been such a good idea considering how bad the Yankees were at running the bases in 2009. The Isles are also in action. You know the routine, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Yeah, we probably could have drummed up a few more What Went Wrong posts, but I can’t think of any glaring omissions. Maybe Xavier Nady or the April bullpen?

How about the 59 regular season games the Yankees lost? Or the four in the playoffs? I demand 162-0 followed by 11-0 every year.

2. Hey everyone, if you haven’t already, the guys at TYU would really appreciate it if you all took a read through here:

Yes it’s a link and I’m not self promoting. You know how rare that is.

3. Evil Empire says:

The Daily Beast is reporting that Elin Woods is renegotiating Tiger’s prenup with her so she gets an immediate $5 million payout from her husband and as much as $55 million more to stay with him for two more years. That tells you all you need to know about what Tiger did.

Elin Woods basically said “If you don’t pay me fifty-five million dollars, I am going to go motherfucking public and DESTROY YOUR IMAGE. In return, I will remain your wife for the next two years”

And you know what? Good for her. She’s using her leverage. True capitalist, I like her.

I’m sure their sex life is great:

“Per addendum b subsection 14, paragraph 4, you are allowed to interact with my genitalia for A) 30 minutes a day, 3 nights a week when I am not menstrating or B) 45 minutes per day, 4 days a week following the week of a golf tournament.”

4. Just to make sure everyone here’s seen this takedown of our favorite blogger

Man I am in a vindictive mood tonight. It’s kind of awesome.

5. radnom says:

I know everyone thinks it is practically a given that CC opts out if he has two more seasons like the last one, because players almost always opt out. That year though:

Felix
    Verlander
    JJ
    Cain

Could potentially all be on the market. And would all likely draw more interest (due to age) then CC. Even if two of them sign extensions, CC would be only the third most valuable pitcher on the free agent market when he opted out.

In conclusion: I think there is a pretty good chance CC is a Yankee for 6 more years.

• Mike Axisa says:

I don’t buy into the whole “there’s more quality players at a position, so the prices will come down” stuff. You named four pitchers, five plus CC. That represents 3.3% of all of the available rotation spots in the game.

If CC pitches like a hero the next two years, he can still pull down a $120M deal somewhere, even with those guys on the market with him.

• radnom says:

This is generally overblown, yes, but this would be an extraordinary case. But how many teams in any given year are willing to give out a $120 for a specific role? In CC’s first free agency, in his prime, he only officially got two such offers if I remember correctly. If he is only the third highest valued FA pitcher that year (or worse) do you really see three different teams signing $120+ deals for starting pitchers?

Could happen, but its a long shot.

• Salty Buggah says:

And it’s gotta help that CC will be the best lefty and presumably coming off a great stint in the most pressure-packed place to play

• radnom says:

Both of those are true, but you have to assume that (if those pitchers continue on their current paths) CC would command the least value on the long term deal simply because of everyone’s respective ages, no?

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea, I would think so. Personally, I’d want Felix most and then CC.

• radnom says:

Safely assuming that in order to get $120 or any of these pitchers you need at least a 5 year deal, you would value CC’s 35-37 years over Johnson at 31-33 and Verlander 31-32.
              That is just the end of the contract. You would also get those pitchers prime years (against Sabathia’s still very productive, but starting to leave his prime years).

• Chris says:

I disagree. He was coming off of two Cy Young caliber seasons (would have won in 2008 if he’d pitched in one league the whole year), and got $161M over 7 years. Considering that he will be 3 years older and probably not coming off back to back Cy Young seasons, and I would expect him to get a deal more in the $100M range (probably over 5 years). That doesn’t seem like enough of an increase over the $92M/4 that he would still be guaranteed from the Yankees for him to opt out – especially if there are other ace pitchers on the market.

• Drew says:

One thing everyone seems to neglect is that chances are, one or more of these future FAs will stumble. Not because of ability but because of injury.

That said, you do make a good point.

/Curb Your Enthusiasm’d

• JGS says:

players almost always opt out

Alex Anthopoulos is sure hoping for this

6. pat says:

Thursday night tv is the best.

7. The Artist says:

Nice article and video tribute to Tommy Henrich.

If you consider yourself a big Yankee fan (as I’m sure most do) you should really know a few things about Old Reliable. He was a fixture during the late Gehrig years and DiMaggio years on teams that won like crazy. It’s a good read.

8. Tom Zig says:

So I was in the bathroom today before class, and I made a comment about my professor who always takes a dump before class. I turn to my friend and say “oh it smells like shit in here…professor ____ must have been here already”…turns out he was, and still was there…in the stall next to me.

9. Kiersten says:

I have a Yankee snuggie. I win at life.

10. Hey ZZ says:

Quick question: How many more years do the Yankees have Joba and Hughes under control?

11. The Artist says:

At TYU we’ve been knocking the Yanks all night long over the name thing, but now I just find out that the letter came from Major League Baseball Advanced Media, not the Yanks.

Major League Baseball Advanced Media is owned by the League, not the Yanks. That’s like sort of, important, in a way.

12. The Bills look like blueberries.

/Corningstone’d

13. I am so ready to give up on watching football and professional basketball ever again

• Stormrider6 says:

Remembering the last time these two teams hooked up, I understand. That game was all about who wanted to lose more.

Anyways, GO BUFFALO!

14. Brooklyn Ed says:

I would had done a post about Swisher’s red hot April while Teixiera was slumping like crazy

15. scooter says:

Wow… wtf is wrong with Braylon Edwards?

16. Salty Buggah says:

Why is it so fuckin cold outside?

17. theyankeewarrior says:

Being a Bills fan from Rochester, I want them to win. But latley I have been wishing for them to get a better pick. However, this week I will be rooting for them again because the only thing I can stand to listen to on the Diet Coke Francesca show is him ripping apart the Jets.

You have to play frst and den talk! You cant do all teh talkin and then do da playin!!!!1!1!!1!!11!!!

18. Steve H says:

The Mariners are the clear frontrunners to sign free-agent third baseman Chone Figgins

Good. I hope they sign him ASAP just to make sure he doesn’t end up on the Yankees.

19. RIP Hofstra’s football program.

Marques Colston and Wayne Chrebet shed tears.

20. pat says:

HAHAHAH that corner or safety just tried to tackle T. Rich and bounced off.

21. pat says:

HAHAHA somebody called Sanchez a homo as he walked into the tunnell. Oh drunk jays fans you continue to amuse.

22. Reggie C. says:

Why can’t Brandon Jacobs be half as good as T. Jones??

23. This “Civil War” game is quite entertaining.

24. Reggie C. says:

Rotoworld blurb: Lider, a Venezuelan newspaper, is reporting that Marco Scutaro has agreed to terms with the Red Sox.

25. Please tell me I’m not the only one who thinks Lou Holtz sounds like “Rainman.”

26. pat says:

Revis should have had 2 picks that drive.

• Reggie C. says:

Well … that second pass would’ve been a heck of a catch as josh reed had his hands out too.

Reevis took over on that series. G-men could use him. Corey Webster = OVERRATED.

27. Evil Empire says:

Let’s have fun with CHONE!

It projects Evan Longoria will triple slash .275/.354/.504 in 138 games in 2010. Certainly a campaign most players only wish they could have … but considering this is one of the most promising athletes in the sport, I don’t buy it.

I know CHONE is grumpy but I just don’t get this. Last year, at age 23, he went .281/.364/.526 in 157 games.

I honestly don’t know anything about how it calculates its numbers. I always thought it was based on some kind of mathematical formula but this makes me think it might just be some pessimistic asshole.

I think Bill James has a much more accurate projection of .287/.371/.548 in 157 games. That makes sense – a slight increase in his ability to hit for average and to hit for power, with an overall jump in OPS of 29 points (from .889 to .918). Makes sense. Kid has been awesome for 2 straight years and he’ll play through the entire regular season at age 24. There is just no reason to think he has any less of a season in 2010 besides the fact that its baseball and shit happens … but for projection purposes, that’s not something you account for.

• Ed says:

Longoria has played two seasons. In them, he played 122 and 157 games. Average that out and you get 139.5.

Career triple slash – .277/.355/.528

The projections are really only slightly off from the average of the 2 seasons he’s played so far. Projecting a lower slugging than he had in either of his seasons seems a little odd, but perhaps it’s just magnifying the “trend” that his slugging declined from ’08 to ’09.

Can’t find a quick reference on this, but I think CHONE uses the last 3 years to do projections, so it tends to be less accurate on guys with under 3 years in the majors.

28. Reggie C. says:

Clemens got destroyed right there.

29. pat says: