Dec

Open Thread: The night of tenders

By midnight tonight, every player still pre-free agency will either have been tendered a contract or let go. We are pretty confident that the Yanks are going to non-tender Chien-Ming Wang, and although the team has yet to announce it, they probably will tender Melky Cabrera, Chad Gaudin and Sergio Mitre contracts for next year.

Around baseball, non-tender fever is spreading. The A’s announced earlier this evening that Jack Cust, a potential DH/bench candidate for the Bronx, was non-tendered. The Nationals dumped Mike MacDougal and will probably hand their closer role to — gulp — Brian Bruney. Anyway, Mike is keeping track of all of the non-tenders right here at MLBTR. We’ll update the site when news of the Yanks’ decisions come down.

In the meantime, feel free to use this as your open thread. You know the drill: Anything goes; just play nice. The Rangers, Islanders and Devils all are in action tonight, and “Lost” Again features two great episodes after midnight tonight on ABC. So we have that going for us.

Categories : Open Thread

1. dkidd says:

gomes as a low cost platoon option?

are the phillies sorry they signed polanco now that atkins was non-tendered?

2. ultimate913 says:

I really want the Yankees to non tender Mitre. He is just not made for the al east. Maybe offer him a minor league contract for depth but otherwise, cut him loose.

• Now that IPK and Wang are gone, though, keeping Mitre around for depth is more advisable.

SP depth chart
      1- CC Sabathia
      2- A.J. Burnett
      3- Andy Pettitte
      4- Joba Chamberlain
      5- Phil Hughes
      6- Chad Gaudin (probably in big league bullpen)
      7- Sergio Mitre
      8- Ivan Nova
      9- Zach McAllister (not yet on 40-man)
      10- Jeremy Bleich (not yet on 40-man)

Dumping Mitre may not gain anything, because it would push Nova, ZMac, or Bleich into roles they may not be ready for (and they’d likely produce identical results to Mitre at the big league level anyway). Mitre has the potential to do better this year than he was last year (still on his recovery road from injury, btw), and in any event he’s probably going to be a better pitcher in 2010 than Nova/ZMac/Bleich.

Unless we can sign some other healthy starting pitcher who’d be ready to go by Opening Day to a minor league contract to sit patiently in Scranton and be the first man called up if disaster strikes, Mitre’s probably the best guy available for that role that no veteran free agent pitcher wants.

• Neil B. says:

I would normally be inclined to agree with you, but it’s not like the Yankees have a ton of superior 7th pitcher/bullpen options at this point. Sure, if the Yankees sign another starting pitcher, then they’ll have Gaudin and Joba/Phil to fall back on, but until then their bullpen looks like this:

Mo Rivera
      Damaso Marte
      Dave Robertson
      Alfredo Aceves
      Chad Gaudin
      Phil Dunn? Or Wilkins De La Rosa or another LOOGY type?
      ???????

At this point in time, Mitre makes a ton of sense.

3. No local action?

What, do the Devils play in Fredonia or something?

• I live in New York, am from New York and write about a team in New York. Last I checked, the Devils play in an arena in Newark, New Jersey. It might as well be Fredonia.

Actually, the Internet told me the Devils were off, but now I see the Internet was lying to me. Bad Internet.

• What the fuck is hockey? Are you guys talking about that crap they show on the Outdoor Life Network?

• Januz says:

Hockey is an awesome sport. There is nothing better for a player (Except being elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame (“The only Hall Of Fame Is The Baseball Hall Of Fame” (John Havlicek))) than getting your name on the Stanley Cup. You just do not care for it (Being from Nebraska you were not exposed to it, so I understand). Lets Go Penguins! Crosby, Malkin, Fleury & Stahl, are bringing the Cup back to PITTSBURGH.

• So by that token RAB shouldn’t have any open football threads because last I checked the only NFL team that actually plays in the state of New York are the Buffalo Bills.

(also, the Islanders play tonight, too)

• WHAT? Why does the Internet keep lying to me? I looked at the Islanders’ schedule too. Stupid Google. That’ll teach me to trust it for anything.

• YankeeJosh says:

So, um, now probably wouldn’t be the best time to mention that Lost again starts at 11:35 tonight, since ABC’s college football coverage is over.

• Hey, Ms. Know-It-All, the Rangers are playing tonight. So there. At least I got that one by myself. :)

• Mike Pop says:

Another reason I find it pretty hilarious that they play ‘Empire State of Mind’ at NY Giants games as the Giants head on to the field.

• FACT: Giants Stadium is closer to Midtown Manhattan than Cowboys Stadium is to downtown Dallas.

Heh.

It’s not the same situation and you know it.

P.S. – Maybe I also think it’s a little silly that the Dallas Cowboys don’t play in Dallas.

• What percentage of NFL teams actually play inside the city limits of the cities they represent? Like, less than half?

• Mike Pop says:

What percentage of teams play in a different state?

• What percentage of teams are in global megalopolises that have, for all intents and purposes, annexed wide swaths of neighboring states to be its quasi-subdivisions?

Again, don’t blame me that the isthmus of New York State puts an artificial boundary line within the effective borders of the largest urban agglomeration in the Western Hemisphere. Jersey is the sixth borough in all but a technical sense.

The Jets and Giants moved there for the same reason the Cowboys moved to Arlington: Cheap property and wide open spaces for big parking lots. That’s a modern impossibility inside the borders of NYC proper, the city where more people live above the third story than anywhere else in the world.

• Oh, and to answer your question:

The other team that plays in a different state than it’s named city is the Redskins.

For the same reason: Sky-high local population density and the corresponding lack of suitable space for a stadium and its large footprint.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I have no pronblem with them playing in Jersey. Just call them the Jersey Giants.

They’ll never do it, and I know why. They don’t want to lose the money that comes from associating in NY. It still annoys the fuck out of me.

(For the record, Washington is a different case. They don’t even have a state to locate in, just a city).

Exactly.

All this stems from me saying I find it funny that they play ‘Empire State of Mind’ at Giants games to associate with NY even though they play in Jersey.

• And what I’m saying to you is, East Rutherford NJ is more closely tied to New York City and New York State than it is to New Jersey.

Northern New Jersey is New York State in all but name.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

…But it’s still named New Jersey, whether it’s “more associated” with New York or not.

• Mike Pop says:

Northern New Jersey is New York State in all but name.

So, what you’re saying here is when you are watching the Giants take the field at the Meadowlands, you’re in New Jersey?

So when Alicia Keys sings lines like:

‘In New York,
                  Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
                  Now you’re in New York,
                  These streets will make you feel brand new,
                  The lights will inspire you,
                  Lets here it for New York, New York, New York
                  Welcome to the bright light..’

it doesn’t really apply because when you are in East Rutherford NJ watching the Giants take the field because you are not in NY. Correct?

• And the Cowboys still play in Arlington, whether it’s “more associated” with Dallas or not.

If you want to say that the Giants and Jets, who both began play INSIDE NYC city limits and then moved to New Jersey for a better stadium deal, should change their name to the New Jersey Giants and Jets because they no longer play in NYC, then the Cowboys should change their name to the Arlington Cowboys.

And the Bills should be the Orchard Park Bills, the Redskins should be the Landover Redskins, etc.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

No, Redskins should be the Maryland/Virginia (don’t even know which state they’re in) Redskins.

At least Dallas and the Bills play in the same state as their city namesakes. Washington is a different case, they’re associated with a district, not a state or city.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

NTW, why can’t Dallas just call themselves Texas? The Texas Rangers play in Arlington.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Supposed to be BTW, sorry.

• Washington is a city. District of Columbia is the district.

Washington, DC is equivalent to Dallas, TX.

They’re not the Virginia/Maryland Redskins, they’re the Washington Redskins. Because they began play inside the city of Washington.

They’re named for the city the represent, just like the Giants and Jets are.

• Mike Pop says:

Because they started out in Dallas, just like the NY teams started out in NY.

Whether this be correct or not, I don’t know.

I’m not calling for the teams to change their names, I just found it kind of funny that song was used when we are not in NY watching the game. We are in Jersey watching the game.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

So we should never make fun of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim ever again, since they just represent LA. Sure, they add “of Anaheim” at the end of their name, but that’s just saying out loud what we already know; the Giants and Jets are the NY Giants and Jets of NJ, the Washington Redskins are the Washington Redskins of VA/MD, the Dallas Cowboys are the Dallas Cowboys of Arlington, etc., etc.

Angels are only different because they actually say it out loud.

No, I disagree. NJ is a state in it’s own right, they play there, yet they call themselves NY. I know why they do it, but they’re not the NY Giants/Jets, they’re the NJ Giants Jets. They play in NJ. They mar “represent NY”, but the name of the state people watch them play in is NJ.

• Mike Pop says:

You’re just going to keep running around in circles. Kind of a pointless argument.

With tommie, even when you win – you lose.

Note: Not saying anyone has won or loss this argument.

• Mike Pop says:

Note: Not saying anyone has won or losst this argument.

Fixed.

True.

Kind of like THCM, except THCM manages to annoy me much more when he does it somehow. (I’m not saying anything he doesn’t already know. In fact, I bet he feels pride when he reads this.)

• DP says:

No matter, because he’s right.

• Mike Pop says:

Mondesi is probably my favorite commenter of all here. Always has something good to say, I don’t ever skip over his comments like I do with others. No homo.

Plus, I find it hilarious how he refers to me as ‘Popavero’ and he got at me with the best zinger ever.

He gained mucho respect right then and there.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

He annoys me BECAUSE he’s right. And he knows it.

TSJC is also right and knows it, but somehow THCM manages to annoy me more.

• Mike Pop says:

Is it all the formatting? It’s like the ‘I’m better than you cause I make certain words italicized.’

Haha. Mondesi is my boy, cause he just keeps it real.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I don’t know. And I don’t hate Mondesi. Not at all. I like Mondesi. He’s just TOO right.

• crapula says:

Hey, hail hail Freedonia.

4. Who should I play in fantasy football tomorrow: Sammy Morris v. CAR or Devin Thomas v. OAK

(I’m in desperate straits right now)

5. So I am so ready for the Wang jokes.

Lay it on.

6. Januz says:

I think Cust would not be a great pick-up (I hate his strike-out totals). I honestly don’t think they will go in that direction anyway. Here is one reason why. It is looking more and more that Jason Bay is not going back to Boston, according to Ken Rosenthal. http://www.foxsports.com. This may force them to meet Boras’s price on Matt Holliday (The threat of the Yankees jumping in, keeps it high). I hope Cashman waits it out and lets Boston squirm (Filling the roster with a Jack Cust will ease the pressure on Boston).

• radnom says:

I always thought Holliday made more for the Yankees than Bay, and their interest in Bay was largely political and a negotiation tactic for Holliday.

It just doesn’t make sense, if you have to pay all that money and 5+ years for Bay, you might as well pony up the extra for the defense/offensive Holliday will give you.

• I think all the Bay offers are currently 4 years, not 5.

• radnom says:

My assumption being it will be the team who ponies up that 5th year that signs him.

I guess it is possible no one ever offers that.

• Januz says:

The Yankees have NEVER been linked to Bay like they were with Holliday or Lackey. I simply have never been a fan of his going back to the days in Pittsburgh. Whoever signs him except Boston (He is tailor-made for Fenway), will be very sorry (This particularly applies to the Mets and Mariners BOTH of whom have pitchers parks that will really hurt his output. I happen to agree that Holiday is much better than Bay, but NOT on the level of Teixeira (I wonder if the Sox are still holding a grudge against Boras over Teixeira, like Arte Moreno is? If this occurs, Holliday could be in the Bronx, and Boston and Damon could get screwed.

• Whitey14 says:

I’m absolutely perplexed by Theo’s strategy thus far. I have no honest clue what his thought process is right now.

• radnom says:

As a Sox fan, what moves did you not want him to make/wish he did make?

• I want Theo to sign Carlos Delgado, just to piss you (and all the other Red Sox fans) off.

• radnom says:

Boston media is KILLING Theo right now for his man-crush on Adrian Beltre. Theo has been telling them Beltre would be a good fit for defensive reasons.

• Theo has been telling them Beltre would be a good fit for defensive reasons.

Theo’s actually right.

• radnom says:

Theo’s actually right.

Thats the thing, the media here LOVES Theo, but HATES all the things that make him a good GM.

For example, sometime during last season Theo was on some talk radio show and got a little heated with one of the guys over J.D. Drew and defended his salary by saying he had the Xth highest OPS amongst AL outfielders.

That soundbite was then played for months, mocking him.

• Whitey14 says:

OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I’m still confused by the Lowell deal, especially since they were only into him for one nmore season. I’m neither hot nor cold on Adrian Beltre, if they do indeed make a hard push for, and acquire him, but the last time Theo had a hard-on for a player like this it was Lugo…

They most certainly need a big bat, or two, as offense was the problem last year. I was hopeful they were serious about Rich Harden and still hope they’re looking at Eric Bedard because as well all know, you can’t have too much pitching.

Rumor has it Lucchino was on WEEI and claimed the payroll would be around 120 million for 2010, but I haven’t confirmed that yet….

• I think you’re going to be very pleased by the Lowell/Beltre swap. Just my hunch. Beltre is a decent bat and will be immensely helped leaving Safeco and coming to your launching pad, and he’s still a defensive whiz.

He’s +25 in 3B UZR the past two years. Lowell was no better than a #6 bat anyway; Beltre will approximate that but not be a sieve at the hot corner.

That move was a good one, especially with the Max Ramirez addition. As was Hermida and Bonser.

The only thing the Sox have done this winter that doesn’t make sense is the Scutaro signing.

I came here to say that, good-naturedly of course.

• Whitey14 says:

Damn it Ben, when you add the “good naturedly” part, it’s like you’re Lucy Van Pelt pulling the football away from my Charlie Brown!

I like the Hermida signing, I don’t know enough about Boof Bonser (wasn’t he Michael J. Fox’s girlfriend in Teen Wolf?) and if they’re putting their eggs in the Beltre basket, I guess they better make sure they get him. It does stand to reason that he’ll hit more dingers playing 81 games in Fenway vs. Safeco. With regard to Ramirez, it doesn’t sound like people value him much as a Catcher, but moreso as a power hitting prospect. I would like a guy behind the plate that can actually throw out baserunners at some point. There must be a balanced guy out there somewhere. Maybe the 120 million dollar payroll is so they can tank 2010 and grab Bryce Harper?

• Cust is the prototypical 3 outcome hitter. We already have (a better) one in Swisher, and there’s something to be said for putting the ball in play and making a fielder execute defensively and advancing runners.

7. Jake says:

Is Correia an option for the Bronx??

8. Mike Pop says:

So who is this ‘mystery team’ in the Bay sweepstakes?

The Mets, Blue Jays, Mariners?

9. balistes says:

getting back to this mitre thing, isnt the track record of pitchers two years removed from tommy john surgery surprisingly good? (like a lot better than one-year removed)?

10. Turn it to YES now to see one of the greatest moments of Yankees history =D

• Tank the Frank says:

Just when I thought I was done listening to Buck and McCarver…YES has to play one of these classics. Why did the Yankees have to win so many damn championships!

11. Salty Buggah says:

Macdougal is example #109088097987765338 of why saves suck.

He converted 20 out of 21 saves.

But his BB/9 and K/9 were both 5.6. He had a 4.31 ERA and 1.66 WHIP. In other words, he was pretty bad but still only blew one save

12. Tank the Frank says:

If Babyhorse McCoy wins the Heisman my son gets nothing for Christmas.

13. Richard Deegan says:

Correia di fairly well in SD, nice control, but had his biggest year in innings (198) at 28 vs. his previous high of 144 (combined minor/major) in 2003 at 22. He’s been throwing mostly 110-125 innings since 2003. Hard to picture an arm adjusting easily to a big increase like that at 28.
    And puleeze!!!! No more about Holliday. With his 18 HR ave/ 162 games in real stadiums (slashes in real stadiums similar), he could be tenth on the Yanks in HR.
    Speaking of DoNuTs, a pitcher was DNTd yesterday (I forget his name) who had an 11.00 + ERA for the past three years. Three years???? To quote PT Barnum, “there’s a GM born every minute.”

14. Marcus says:

Does anyone see a reason why the Yankees (and other teams) wait until the last possible moment to announce these decisions (arbitration, tendering contracts)? They surely have made the decision by now, right?

Not that I care all that much, I just can’t figure out why they wait until the absolutely deadline. They sure are setting a bad example of procrastination for young Yankee fans working on book reports. /mom’d

• Tank the Frank says:

I agree. Think of the children.

• Mike Pop says:

Maybe it has something to do with seeing what players other teams release and then talking to those players to see if they have interest in minor league deals?

For example – Reds non-tender Gomes. Mets see that, they non tender Jeremy Reed after talking to Gomes about what his interest would be in the Mets, if he would consider a minor-league deal, etc.

• Januz says:

The reason teams wait, is to hope they can get something for the guys they are non-tendering (See Bruney, Brian). Or perhaps an agreement can be made with a player, if he wants to remain with an organization.

• Hey ZZ says:

Have the Yankees ever announced anything with a deadline until the last possible second?

• Marcus says:

Right, that’s what I’m wondering about. Why do they do that all the time? But the posters above make sense, the Yanks (and other teams) probably want to see what the lay of the land is before they pull the trigger.

15. aj says:

If i were Omar Minaya in that huge ballpark I’d be all over Wang.

16. SamVa says:

Question- (I don’t know if this has been discussed) But why not give Ryan Church a try in the OF.. I also think he would have great pop off of the bench..

17. JayBay the Lumberjack says:

Interesting little vid, must be so cool to experience this.

18. Mike Pop says:

The Islanders have some good young talent.

• JSquared says:

It’s Exciting. Tavares had back to back 2 Goal games, he’s had some great ones. Okposo will be better with more talent around him. Moulson… came out of nowhere. Bailey is finally putting 2 cents into the game.

Best part, the fighters, Witt will throw down, and if you’re not going to make the playoffs… might as well make somebody hurt.

Hahaha.

The Isles should have a legit team next year though, right? I mean I just got into hockey last year after my buddy got me into it. So I’m still a ‘noob’ trying to learn the game.

• JSquared says:

Me too, but it’s fun becoming a fan now, i was an Islanders fan, but never followed.

But I am following now, and the team will get better.

When a team isn’t making the playoffs or getting a great draft pick (Middle of the pack Team), they start trading their draft picks for proven players and start signing better free agents. I’m excited to see what they do after this year.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Devils are already fucking awesome.

What does this have to do with your conversation? Nothing. I’m just being a dick and rubing my vastly superior franchise in your face.

• Mike Pop says:

Typical, coming from you.

That’s good to hear JSquared. Anything that helps the baseball season get here faster is good by me!

Ooooh. That’s cold.

[Cries]

Seriously, you’re Islanders team looks like it could make a good plaoff run next year. hey’re not losing with quite as much consistency. They need a decent goalie though.

19. Kiersten says:

Everyone should watch “The U” after the Heisman show on ESPN.

“If you don’t like us dancing, don’t let us in the zone.”

20. aj says:

Speaking of ESPN does anyone else hate Colin Cowherd?

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

“Watching football is like going on a date and wanting to kiss your date but then she turns you down and fucks your best friend in the middle of the drive in and you’re left eating the leftover popcorn.”

-Colin Cowherd, ESPN Uber-analyst

21. Richard Deegan says:

tommiesmithjohncarlos a/k/a Archimedes Torquemada says:
    December 12th, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Because Church isn’t a good bet to outproduce Melky, and he may not even outproduce Gardner or Hoffmann.

Depending on how many starts are available in interleague games in NL parks, Church might not even outproduce CC

22. Yankeegirl49 says:

I need to vent. Not only do the Sox suck, so does their ticketing system. Their tix went onsale today, I have been trying to buy a 4 pack, because I want to go up there the last weekend of the season. Im going to sell the other games. They went onsale at 10am, I logged on exactly then. They stick you in a “virtual waiting room” and select you randomly, not first come first served. Never got thru after 3 hours this morn, tried again for the last 2 hours and still in that virtual room. This sucks…

23. The Metropolitans have non-tendered Cory Sullivan, Tim Redding, Jeremy Reed, and Lance Broadway.

24. billbybob says:

Heh, Brian Bruney…Closer. I just laughed so hard I fell out of my chair. Why don’t they get Jose Veras to set up for him.

• aj says:

Yes, could he really replace the great Mike MacDougal? Bruney’s probably the best reliever they’ve had since Chad Cordero.

• Mike Pop says:

Bruney is not that bad of a reliever, I don’t get the hate. He just couldn’t stay healthy, i believe injuries lingered and that’s when he showed his problems.

The start of the season, he was filth. The answer to the dreaded 8th.

• aj says:

I completely agree, he was beastly in 06 and 08. I hope he was worth that outfielder we picked up.

• Mike Pop says:

I mean I’m not complaining about the move at all. I was hoping for them to keep him for 2010 during the season when it was brought up. Mainly because bullpens are so volatile and he has had more success there than many of the Yankees other relievers.

• whozat says:

Bruney’s pretty mediocre. He’s always been the same guy, nasty stuff when healthy but can’t consistently throw strikes. He’d go through streaks where he’d figure his command out enough that he could stay ahead of guys enough, or because he’d face guys that liked to swing, but…he was still the same guy. Kyle Farnsworth, but a little less of a head case.

25. vin says:

“The Nationals dumped Mike MacDougal and will probably hand their closer role to — gulp — Brian Bruney. ”

Strasburg to teh 9th!!!!1!

26. pollo says:

KRod just gave up a walk-off grand slam in winter leagues.

LOL!

27. aj says:

Well atleast it wasn’t an RBI to slugger Mariano Rivera. Is anyone going to see Rivera at the Roosevelt field mall?

• aj says:

150$ entrance fee… =/…but you do get pictures with him and a signed ball and photo. 200$ for signed jersey. You have to provide the jersey and ball of course…

28. Steve in PDX says:

agree or disagree: Ingram should have finished no better than 3rd for the Heisman?

• billbybob says:

Definitely not a fan of his victory. Suh or Gerheart would have sufficed.

• DP says:

Ingram: 6.2 ypc. Gerhart: 5.6. Ingram:~350 rec. yards. Gerhart: ~150. Ingram’s team: 0 losses. Gerhart’s: 4. This is all just semantics really. Ingram plays in the SEC, vastly superior to any other conference defensively. Gerhart plays in the defensively challenged Pac 10. I hate to pull a LoHudian argument here, but if you actually watched the games it’s really very very very easy to see why Ingram won.

• Steve in PDX says:

How much of Gerhart did you watch? If you watched even just the ND game it would be ” very very very easy to see why” he deserved it. I watched both. Ingram was a good player on a great team, Gerhart was a great player on a good team.

• DP says:

I’m a Notre Dame fan, so I did in fact watch that game. I also know, that like everyone in Mr. Gerhart’s conference, Notre Dame’s defense completely blows. In fact the previous week, U Conn (!) put up 231 rushing yards against them. Just because Musberger slobbered Gerhart’s knob all night doesn’t make it so. Ingram scored 3 TD’s against a team trying to go for it’s 3rd title in 4 years.

• billbybob says:

It just struck me as a best player on the best team style win. I was just hoping Suh would win; that guy is freakin’ awesome.

• DP says:

Suh wouldn’t have been a bad choice, we both know unless a defender has an historic season (which he did not) they aren’t going to win. Suh will get his by being the #1 pick in April.

• DP says:

I just don’t think Gerhart was the best choice. It’s like comparing Oh’s 80 home runs to Bonds’ 73 (steroids notwithstanding). It’s just not the same level of competition.

• YankeeGaGa says:

Ingram is well deserving. He plays in the BEST conference in college football and agaisnt the best defenses in college football.

29. Mike Pop says:

ISLANDERS!!!

30. aj says:

I would say they won since the word “sucks” didn’t come afterwards.

31. DP says:

Am I the only person who still watches that Yankees tribute video from a couple of weeks back?

32. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Fuck it. Despite my best ballot-stufing efforts, RAB lost by TWO percent.

We made a great comeback, but it wasn’t meant to be.

I am sad. :-(

33. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Just for fun, my totally senseless pre-winter picks (first posted on Rebecca’s blog):

AL East: Yankees, because we’re the best

AL Central: I’ll go Twinkies, not because of Mauer but because nobody’s clearly beter in that horrible division.

AL West: Texas, same reason as you

Wild Card: Hmmm…Red Sox OUT, Seattle in. They could end up having a really good pitching Felix if Felix does even better than the mind-blowingly good he did this season. I think they’ll improve their offense this offseason too. And the Red Sox offesne is only going to get worse, unless a big deal is made.

Nl East: Sorry, Phillies. Lee is too good, and I expect Hamels to have an above average year.

NL Central: Brewers, Carpenter will falter big and Wainwright won’t be quite as good

NL West: SanFran Giants. That pitching staff has the potential to be mind-bogglingly awesome.

Wild Card: I want to say Pittsburgh Pirates…but alas, not yet Pittsburgh fans. Colorado Rockies, the second half of last year they were better than the Dodgers. Start just a tad better and they win that division.

ALDS: Yanks over Texs, Twins over Seattle

ALCS: Yanks over Twins

NLDS: SanFran over Philly
    Colorado over Brewers

NLCS: Colorado over SanFran

World Series: Yanks over Colorado

AL MVP: Josh Hamilton, carries Texas

NL MVP: Chase Utley, carries Philly

AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia (BOOOOM)

NL Cy Young: Josh Johnson

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Oops, when I pick the NL Wild card it should say, “Start just a tad better and they beat out the Dodgers.”

• Tank the Frank says:

AL East: Baltimaaaahh I mean Yankees, of course

AL Central: I’m going with the White Sox. I think their GM is halfway retarded but yet they’ll put a nice little team out there next season.

AL West: This is up for grabs and still pending potential trades and signings, but right now it’s the Mariners. Good pitching, good bullpen, great defense, pitchers park, and Ichiro + Figgins are really pesky at the top of the order. They’re one power hitter away from me being a real believer.

Wild Card: It’s Boston. They’re still good enough.

NL East: Phillies

NL Central: I can’t pick against the Cardinals

NL West: Good God this division sucks. I’ll go with the incumbent Dodgers for lack of a better option.

Wild Card: I’ll go with the Brew-Crew. I want to pick the Braves so bad but it’s going to be tough to get the necessary wins out of that division if the Mets get healthy and sign Bay/Holliday.

ALDS: Yankees over Mariners, White Sox over Red Sox
      ALCS: Yankees over White Sox

NLDS: Phillies over Brewers, Cardinals over Dodgers
      NLCS: Phillies over Cardinals

World Series: Yankees over Phillies – America gets a great rematch and the Yankees start a new dynasty at the expense of another NL East powerhouse team, similar to the mid 90s. Baseball continues to be ruined. Yankee-haters continue to suck it.

AL MVP: A-Rod – he’s healthy, and will benefit from hitting a full season in YSIII.

NL MVP: I’m torn between Prince Fielder and Hanley Ramirez. Seriously…. I can’t decide.

AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez. I don’t think Greinke can duplicate what he did with that KC team again.

NL Cy Young: None other than Ian Patrick Kennedy. I keed, I keed…

34. Januz says:

I like most of those predictions, I just don’t like San Francisco. They have outstanding starters, but a questionable pen, and the WORST lineup this side of the Mets. If they were in the AL East, they might be behind Baltimore.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

No way would they be behind Baltimore. None. Zero.

In the AL East they’d be in third probably.

35. Evan says:

Random point that popped into my head: I can’t believe I once had Geoff Blum on a fantasy team.

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

Sometimes for hits and giggles I like to choose an entire team of players from shit teams like the Pirates, Nats, Royals, Marlins, Astros for my fantasy team. I don’t fare so well in those leagues. But boy is it fun to watch.

36. bonestock94 says:

Matt Capps got non tendered, hmmm