Dec

Open Thread: The other side of the lake

A reader sent this in over the weekend. It’s a free movie about the National High School Championship in Japan, which couldn’t come at a better time given tonight’s lack of entertainment. The Rangers, Devils, Knicks, and Nets are in action (the latter against each other), so check that out after watching the above flick. Enjoy the open thread.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Salty Buggah says:

50 more sleeps until pitchers and catchers report!!!

So excited

2. Moshe Mandel says:

Just wanted everyone to know that TYU has moved, from theyankeeuniverse.com to theyankeeu.com. Just leave off the last niverse for lawsuit!!

3. pat says:

Time Warner is going to try and drop Fox? What the shit?

4. Kyle Perkins, the Aussie catcher, where is he going to be playing this year? Anyone have any idea?

5. Salty Buggah says:

Something I found from a Sox fan on a Broncos board:

i think now that Boston is out of the Roy Halladay talks with Philly getting him that they need to go after Adrian Gonzalez hard by hard i mean

San Diego gets
    Johnathan Papelbon
    David Ortiz
    Clay Bucchulz

Boston Gets
    Adrian Gonzalez
    Chris Young

sounds like a good deal to me and they should go all out for Matt Holliday and make him our new DH if they already have Mike Cameron

This is exactly what he said and he wasn’t being sarcastic. Crazy

6. Drew says:

Any fellow Real World watchers here? I’m not too excited for the new season..

7. Holy crap, the end of the Humanitarian Bowl was awesome.

8. POLL: The next person who says “Left Field” gets kicked in the nuts.

1-YES!

2-No

9. JeffG says:

Can you believe that Japanese HS players practice 360 days a year. Is that not overdoing it?

• SamVa says:

I thought the end where both teams lost was pretty sad…
      None of us could imagine what it would be like to want something so much and work for something so hard and not come close to getting it. At least I couldn’t.
      As a senior High School baseball player… that movie really inspired me to work the extra couple of days a week.
      I could never imagine how hard it would be to be that motivated to do it every day.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Excessive Back Hair Complex says:

This is the same country where their robots make Christmas dinner and are polyglots. They can also buy nirvana in vending machines.

/they’re not overdoing it
      //may be misinformed

10. UConn’s losing to Cincy right now. I’m none too happy with this. I’m slowly but surely realizing that this year will be rather disappointing for UConn. It won’t be as bad as ’06-’07 when they missed the tournament completely, but definitely not a Final Four worthy team.

11. Jake H says:

According to Mark Newman Jeremy Bleich was regulary touching 94. If so that is very very good.

12. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Can somebody explain to me why the Rangers suck soo bad?

13. ultimate913 says:

Ha. I’m going back to when the Yanks won the World Series in the archives and I’m just reading the comments in the post. Good times, man. Goooooood times.

14. Salty Buggah says:

Ken Davidoff’s ballot: Alomar, Blyleven, Larkin, Martinez, McGwire, Raines, Trammell.

Pretty damn good, right?

15. I have some good news and some bad news…

The Good News: JESUS IS BACK!!!! Playing in the VWL playoffs tonite.

The Bad News: He’s playing 1st base.

• possible addendum….Whoever does the boxscore may be mistaken, and it could be Miguel Montero, but they haven’t corrected it as of yet.

• Reggie C. says:

I guess the team’s coach must’ve been impressed enough with Montero’s batting reps to finally let him play. If Montero wasn’t hurt then I guess he was simply not playing due to the coach’s decision. Anyways, the 1B development is new. I guess Montero’s been taking 1B reps too this off-season. I wonder if that was the coach’s decision too …

• Salty Buggah says:

And he went 0-3 with a walk and run

16. Pasqua says:

Let me begin by saying that I am a Jets fan, but I want to share this quote from Chad Ochocinco regarding his planned touchdown celebrations. If this is for real, PLEASE let it come to pass (without costing the game, of course):

On he has any celebrations planned for Sunday if he is able to score…

“I have one that is going to be so good. Everybody listening? You know the guy in the stands with the fireman hat (Fireman Ed) that quiets the stadium? OK, I have my own fireman hat made, but it doesn’t say Jets. It’s a Bengals fireman hat. When I score, I’m going to sit on top of the goal post and then I’m going to quiet the stadium like he does and I want everybody in the stadium to say, well there not going to say the Bengals, but everybody will get the point of what I’m trying to do. I think it’s good one. If I don’t use the goal post, I’ll get on top of one of my linemen’s shoulders. I’m going out this season with a bang. I don’t care what anybody says. That’s the celebration of all celebrations. I’m going out with a bang.”

Maybe Revis should just let Chad beat him on one play if the game is out of reach.

17. So at the Nets game tonight I sat right behind Danillo Gallinari’s mother.

that was interesting.

18. Nick says:

Anyone here ever read draysbay.com?

For differing perspective? Might be my favorite non-Yankee blog.

19. This video is actually pretty sweet. These dudes live and die with every pitch.

20. Moshe Mandel says:

So I tweeted a negative comment about the forum-goers at NYYFans (said I dont get why people reference their opinions when they have no scouting expertise), and Jay (Destro) forwarded it to the owner of the the site, who sent a nasty tweet my way.

Oops.

Anyways, that just makes me ask: does anyone here frequent those forums? They just seem unwieldy to me. Does anyone thing they add value compared to, say, Lohud?

21. KevinC says:

Murdoch, he owns the Post right?