Dec

Power meetings begin in Tampa

Tomorrow will mark the one month anniversary of the Yankees capturing their 27th World Championship, but today Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi will meet with ownership in Tampa to discuss their proposed offseason plan and the 2010 budget in advance of next week’s winter meetings. Cashman, Girardi, and basically anyone with a voice in the front office met a few weeks ago to hammer out the details, and the first step of their plan was to decline to offer arbitration to all of their free agents.

“We’ll talk about some more things and gear up for the winter meetings,” Girardi said of today’s meeting with the Steinbrenners. “You want to know what you’re going to have when you go into spring training. As we saw last year, a lot of guys didn’t sign until real late, so I know it’s going to take time.”

Unlike last season, when starting pitching was priority number one, two, and three, the Yankees don’t seem to have placed much urgency on filling any of their holes. By this time last year, they had already offered CC Sabathia a massive contract and stolen Nick Swisher out from under Kenny Williams’ nose, but this year we haven’t had any actual non-rumor news at all. Being the defending World Champs allows to the team to be patient, and that’s going to be the theme of the offseason of the Yanks: patience.

Even though leftfield and designated hitter are legitimate concerns, free agent and trade options are plentiful enough that the team doesn’t have to go out and make a big splash early. Scott Boras won’t take accept any contract offer for Matt Holliday or Johnny Damon before giving Cashman a call. Arn Tellem will likely do the same with Hideki Matsui, and frankly any agent with half a brain would give the Yankees a chance to top any offer for their clients. Roy Halladay set a Spring Training deadline to be traded? Good, that gives Cashman three months to wait out Alex Antopoulos.

Aside: Here’s my mental image of Cashman during trade negotiations.

Despite their aggressiveness last winter, the Yankees have put themselves in a position to let the offseason come to them. I want to see free agent signings and big trades as much as the next guy, but the Yanks aren’t in such dire straits that they need to go out and declare that they’re the biggest kid in the playground like they did last offseason. Just be patient. The moves will come when they come, and they will be glorious.

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. Being the defending World Champs allows to the team to be patient, and that’s going to be the theme of the offseason of the Yanks: patience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltSm5mUniw (safe)

2. Cashman to Alex Anthopoulos regarding Roy Halladay: My offer is this: nothing.

3. Evil Empire says:

Cashman is indeed the Godfather of General Managers.

You’re absolutely right that Cashman and Co. can take their sweet-ass time their off season and let the market come to them. I just hope the agents show C-Money the proper respect and kiss his most recent ring before talking business with him.

4. Oh, and Mike, your mental image of Cashman is wrong. We’ve long since agreed that Michael is Hal, and Sonny is Hank.

This should be your mental image of Cashman, talking to Joe Torre:

And, this should be your mental image of the agents that Cashman deals with:

5. I want to see free agent signings and big trades as much as the next guy…

Does that include all “next guys”?

Because I can think of one next guy who wants to see them WAY MORE than you do.

(unwraps burrito, wipes down microwave)

6. Crazy Eyes Killa says:

I’m hoping we get some vet discounts from guys who want to win championships. I can’t reveal my source (so don’t ask) but I happen to know that Mike Cameron told Milwaukee he’d come back for 4mill, If he’d join the Yanks for that, they’d have money left to fill all the holes

7. JohnC says:

Cashman has vowed to ‘make the Jays an offer they can’t refuse’.

8. mryankee says:

I think the Halladay deal will go down over the next week or so Why wait if you know who is interested you start soliciting offers and pick the best one. You also hope Halladay will agree to pitch where you want to trade him. The Santana deal went down at the trade deadline and there is no reason this deal could not happen in a similar timeframe. Please no Lackey he is not anywhere near a suitable replacement for Halladay.

• The Santana deal went down at the trade deadline and there is no reason this deal could not happen in a similar timeframe.

Johan Santana was traded to the Mets on February 2nd.

Please no Lackey he is not anywhere near a suitable replacement for Halladay.

In order for Lackey to be a “replacement” for Halladay, or vice versa, one of them would need to already have been on our roster, filling a void that is now a need.

Neither of them were. Thus, neither of them need to be “replaced”, there is no void, there is no need.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

What else makes you think Cashman will do a deal?

• mryankee says:

Cashman has said that prospects are good for your team but also for trade. I do not think he will ignore the opportunity to add Halladay if the price is right, What the right price is I have no idea because I am not the GM for the Yankees or Blue Jays. I do know that at the very least the Yankees were considering moving Hughes for Santana before the trade did not happen. I do think its possible that Cashman could determine that Halladay is worth the stretch.

• Please no Lackey he is not anywhere near a suitable replacement for Halladay.

Well it’s a good thing that a) the Yankees likely won’t sign Lackey and b) that they’re not trying to replace Halladay.

• A.D. says:

OORRR The Yanks trade for Halladay, only to then trade him to another team, and then replace his departure with Lackey

• I like it.

——-

Hedley Lamarr: Qualifications?
          Bart: Stampeding cattle.
          Hedley Lamarr: (dejected) That’s not much of a crime.
          Bart: Through the Vatican?
          Hedley Lamarr: (smiling) Kinkyyyy! Sign here.

• Wow. You’ve figured it out.

• jsbrendog says:

not gonna happen. why would he waive his ntc again? and what would that axccomplish?

• A.D. says:

This is what happens:

Yankees trade for Halladay, without an extension window, then they proceed to tell him they’re moving him to teh 8th inning, because they want to sure up the pen, thus angering Roy. From there he’s willing to waive his NTC (again), and the Yanks trade him (with an extension window) thus been able to demand more than they traded the Blue Jays for.

• jsbrendog says:

i’m in. you sold me. do i get a free warranty?

• Tommy: Let’s think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
                Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I’m listening.
                Tommy: Here’s the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box ’cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
                Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
                Tommy: ‘Course it does. Why shouldn’t it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
                [chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing too]
                Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What’s your point?
                Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn’t a crazy glue sniffer? “Building model airplanes” says the little fairy; well, we’re not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that’s all it takes. The next thing you know, there’s money missing off the dresser, and your daughter’s knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
                Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
                Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That’s all it is, isn’t it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer’s sake, for your daughter’s sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
                Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I’ll buy from you.
                Tommy: Well, that’s…
                Tommy, Richard Hayden: …What?

• Interesting (but ultimately moot) question of mine:

Would Halladay’s NTC carry over to us, if he waived it to be traded here? I don’t know how that works.

Is it permanently voided when he agrees to be traded the first time, or does he have a total non-trade clause that survives any individual trade?

Hmmm…

• jsbrendog says:

it is part of the contract…so if waicved…..would then be void?

• A.D. says:

I think he still would have it, Cot’s still has Peavy has having a full NTC for 2010, before it winds down in the final 2 years.

Basically the player has the right to block a deal to any team vs just not being able to be traded. Thus when traded he waives his right to block the trade, but still maintains for future trades.

What one would lose is 10-5 rights, so if you have 10-5, then are traded, waive your right to block, then you no longer have it, because you’re no longer a 10-5 player.

9. ColoYank says:

Oh it’s twue, it’s twue!

• ColoYank says:

Reply button hitting FAIL … AGAIN!

• Rose says:

The Impressive Clergyman: Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam…and wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva…so tweasure your wuv.

Prince Humperdink: Skip to the end…

The Impressive Clergyman: Have you the wing?

• ColoYank says:

Man and vife!

• Rose says:

You know, I met Chris Sarandon (Prince Humperdink) on the MetroNorth train a few weeks back…the only reason I knew it was him was because I saw a Law and Order SVU episode like 2 nights before…he looks so much older now. Nice guy though. Love’s the single seat…clearly.

• ColoYank says:

I don’t suppose the RAB monitors would let us get away with calling anyone a “vomitous mass,” or a “warthog-faced buffoon,” would they?

10. [...] Mike noted earlier today, the Yankees Brain Trust has assembled in Tampa to begin preparing for next week’s Winter Meetings. One name bound to come up — as it has [...]