Dec

Wang rejects Yanks’ split contract offer

If Chien-Ming Wang recovers from the shoulder injury he suffered last July, it will probably be with with another team. According to Bill Madden of the Daily News, the Yankees offered Wang a split contract which would guarantee him a spot on the active roster once his shoulder was ready. Wang’s agent, Alan Nero, rejected the offer, informing the Yankees that “Wang would be moving on.” This is not an unexpected development.

A free agent for the first time in his career, Wang surely wants to explore all of his options. Teams other than the Yankees will be interested, and perhaps one of them will offer the guaranteed money upon which Nero insists. There’s no harm in looking, and if no other offers top the Yankees’, chances are the two parties can work out a deal in the future.

The question of Wang’s potential return might hinge on the perceived rift between him and the Yankees. How much of this is true we don’t know, but there have been a few incidents, starting with the Yankees taking him to arbitration in 2008 over $600,000. A source tells Mark Feinsand that Wang is “still bothered” about the incident. Then there is the issue of Wang’s rehab from the lisfranc injury he suffered in 2008.

One story that sticks out in my mind is when Nero approached the Yankees about a possible contract extension. The Yankees said, “Make us an offer,” and talks ended there. That was before the arbitration incident.

For now, it appears Wang has his sights set elsewhere. There are reportedly six teams interested in him. The main questions here, I think, are of how Wang really feels about how the Yankees treated him, and of whether the Yankees are willing to top an offer from another team. The split minor/major league contract was already a good offer. We’ll see if Wang can get a similar one elsewhere.

Glove slap to iYankees for the Madden link.

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. AndrewYF says:

I can understand feeling a little jilted about no contract extension, or going to arbitration, but if Wang thinks the Yankees somehow treated him poorly, he’s a retard.

2. Too bad. I still hope to see CMW back with the Yankees, but only on a reasonable contract. A guaranteed major league deal is not reasonable.

3. Huh.

I wouldn’t have expected Wang to not want a split offer.

4. lebigyank says:

i have no sympathy for this dude whatsoever; he is made of glass and he acted like those 38 wins a few years back obligated the team to keep him pitching while he was tossing beach balls instead of letting hughes take it over.

they say wang is a good guy? just take your ball and go home to joe you bitter crybaby.

• Steve H says:

How would you know Wang is bitter?

• pat says:

Haha, wow.

• lebigyank says:

laugh it up but “Wang would be moving on.” makes me wonder what wang has ever done to spit that “i’m too good for you guys” crap as if hes just won a cy young or took part in the championship run.

so just move on then…

• Saying “I’m not interested in a non-guaranteed split contract” is not the same thing as saying “I’m too good for you guys”.

Not by a longshot. He’s looking for a guaranteed deal. Someone will give it to him. If we won’t give it to him, he’s not saying “I’m too good for you”, it’s us who are saying “You’re not good enough for us”.

• lebigyank says:

though i gotta say the way i read this it sounded like he is gone period no matter the offer.

the agent could have said “that offer isnt good enough” or “wed like more of a guarantee” instead i see this we are moving on crap, it irks me. i mean he is guaranteed a spot once his shoulder is good to go under this deal so why act like this is beneath them.

I just think he needs to be realistic and stick around but again if his agent thinks he deserves more than what the yanks are offering him (including a shot at #28) then hes gotta go…

• Evil Empire says:

Wang should be able to get a guaranteed deal for more money. If he doesn’t, I bet the split offer is still on the table. What does he really have to lose by exploring his options?

• lebigyank says:

thats fine, he is a free agent, but why inform cashman that wang would be moving on? why say anything like that at all? just say something to the effect of “ok thanks well look over wang’s other offers and let you try to match them and go from there” the offer is not on the table if the dude is moving on, the bridge looks burned as things stand (though things can change: a-rod ordeal)

• Evil Empire says:

Probably because the agent already has better offers on the table and he wanted to light a fire under Cashman’s ass to sweeten the deal, as Wang’s main preference would be to stay with the Yankees, but only if their offer was as good as anyone else’s.

i can buy that

but wang’s agent must know by now that cashman is one tough dude and probably wont sweeten it much or at all considering the yank’s position of strength pitching wise. they are probably expecting ben sheets $ or something but well see.

• pat says:

“i’m too good for you guys” crap

Makes me wonder where the hell you’re getting this from?

• lebigyank says:

(here is a spot on our team when you are healthy)

(no thanks peace out)

it sounds like he blieves he deserves better (he doesent)

but enlighten me as to how i should see this cause id really rather believe its just posturing but it seems like they have the offers to move on to a better situation.

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

Moving on means he thinks he can get a guaranteed deal somewhere else. A guaranteed deal is not conditional like “when your shoulder is ready.” It may never be ready enough for the Yanks to put him on the 40 man, let alone on the big club. There was no term stipulating 25-man roster, meaning he could conceivably be in SWB for the year, depressing his value in the future even further. He doesn’t want that; he thinks he can find a better offer, where he’ll be on the active 25-man roster as a guarantee.

If he doesn’t receive what he’s looking for, I’d bet he’d consider taking another look at the split deal the Yanks offered.

• lebigyank says:

wang’s agent has been pushing wang’s ahead-of-schedule program, the yanks must know something beyond that i presume.

but true that on the 25-man point, i’m sure he doesent want to go down to the A ball stuff.

• it sounds like he blieves he deserves better (he doesent)

Wrong.

It merely sounds like he believes he can GET a better offer.

What he “deserves” does not factor into anything.

• lebigyank says:

well wang feels he should get more than a contract that lets a team add him to the roster once he is proven healthy.

but well disregard the word deserves as it muddles things unnecessarily.

he and his agent must believe wang can get a better offer and that we most likely wont match. its like the boston-bay thing where they’ve been negotiating for a year plus and have gotten nowhere and feel there is no better offer coming and bay’s agent came out and said he would be moving on.

• pat says:

Baseball is business dude. IF he can get more money elsewhere that’s his prerogative. More power to him. If you were offered a better paying job somewhere else wouldn’t you take it?

• lebigyank says:

yea i would but i was just wondering more about the back and forward of how we got to this point where wang is gone.

the yanks usually get their man in a business is business logic. this seems different cause this isn’t like some ST invite or anything either… but yea getting to your question id take it if i were offered it but if i don’t show up to work a whole lot or let the company down because of my recent performance i wouldn’t push for much either.

• but if i don’t show up to work a whole lot or let the company down because of my recent performance i wouldn’t push for much either.

Bullshit.

• lebigyank says:

lets look at it this way if i’m your boss and you ask for a raise or dont accept less money to stay after screwing up everything (which is most congruent with a double digit era in the 20s) and not showing up for the greater part of the last two years… you’re fired.

• Let’s look at it this way: If you’re my boss and I’ve screwed everything up and haven’t showed up for the better part of two years, and you offer me a cut in pay and a demotion, I’m going to tell you “Nothing personal, but I should probably go find a job elsewhere and get a fresh start.”

I don’t care that I fucked up your company. I only care about my family and my paycheck. It may have been fun and a great honor to work for you at Initech, but there are other jobs out there.

• That’s not me being ungrateful or thinking I deserve or have earned something, that’s just me being realistic. You’ve soured on me and my performance. Whether that was my fault or not doesn’t matter to me. The only thing that matters to me is the fact that you’ve lost enough confidence in me and my future that you’re not willing to give me a guaranteed contract and a spot on the big-league roster.

Other teams don’t feel that bad about me, or, at the least, they’re more desperate and thus, more willing to gamble on me.

Doing what’s best for me and my family is always my number one priority.

• Evil Empire says:

Its not like the Yankees are the only people offering him a gig. Wang would be a fucking moron to have any sense of loyalty to the Yankees. Be nice if he was, but he probably isn’t.

Its in his best interest, both in the short term and long term, to sign with a team that gives him more money and a guaranteed roster spot.

Duh.

• lebigyank says:

then we must assume someone acting like wang doesn’t care that he screwed up the last two years and now initrode came with a bigger check and hes boltin’.

i believe that he cared he screwed things up (not like pavano) but still wants big guarantees without giving any. so he is like smykowski but with more audacity.

• Evil Empire says:

I wouldn’t count getting injured and rehabbing in the way the team prescribed him to do as “screwing up”.

Things didn’t work out. The Yankees filled the void his absence created because they needed to, and they can afford to. Due to the law of diminishing return or whatever its called, CMW isn’t worth as much to the Yankees has he is to other teams. CMW will evaluate all offers and act accordingly.

It is what it is, no one is wrong. No one fucked up. That’s life.

• lebigyank says:

i was pointing more towards his double digit era with the screwing up. the rehabbing because of injuries was the not showing up to work part.

but you’re right i agree with all the rest. i just (personally) think he shouldn’t expect guarantees and take this offer, prove himself and get a big contract for ’11 but you’re right.

• i just (personally) think he shouldn’t expect guarantees and take this offer, prove himself and get a big contract for ‘11 but you’re right.

And that’s because you just (personally) want Wang to show more company loyalty, more self-flagellation, and less natural human financial self-interest than you’d expect anyone else to show, including your own self in your own life.

• lebigyank says:

nah its not about all that though it sounds more interesting: he just hasn’t done much lately to warrant any guarantees is all.

i want people to get just compensation, his financial self interest is fine… but he shouldn’t get paid because he won 19 games twice upon a time.

loyalty has nothing to do with it; if jeter didn’t play this past year and next and hit .050 or something when he tried to bounce back into the team id want him to lower his expectations too come contract time… nothing really deeper than that. business is business.

• Evil Empire says:

Sounds like you don’t have a problem with CMW then, you have a problem with the other suitors CMW has that are offering him more money and a guaranteed roster spot.

Maybe this comes from an innate lack of understanding of how scare of a commodity starting pitching is, and how fortunate the Yankees are to have a rotation that is already 5 strong with depth behind it?

• lebigyank says:

its not really that scarce this year there are plenty of high upside-risk guys out there like sheets and others so that even when cashmoney wants pitching pitching pitching the yanks dont need to put up with wang’s crap.

dont just assume i dont know how good we have it with our rotation. quit warping what i say and being condescending… like really. i am willing to be civil to a point.

lets just leave it at that: i dont know what i am talking about and enjoy #27 as yankee fans.

5. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

The bitterness spewing from Wang is tough to swallow.

6. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Damn it.

7. crawdaddie says:

Thanks for the memories Wang.

8. T-Dubs says:

I sincerely hope that wherever he goes he can reunite with either Aaron Small or Terrance Long. I miss the days of seeing drunk guys sitting in front of me at the stadium with “Small” “Wang” on their backs.

9. Evil Empire says:

I’d like to think that this song reflects Cashman’s sentiments towards Wang:

/another Michael Jackson music video’d

10. Salty Buggah says:

I guess Wang really believes he’ll get a ML deal from another team. Those 6 teams can probably get him one. I think he goes to the NL because even if loses some of this stuff, he can succeed there.

Also, from the same article, on offering Damon a contract, “Scott Boras, informed them not to bother unless it was for at least three years and no less than the $13 million salary the left fielder made last year.”

11. bonestock94 says:

Bummer, I don’t know how we’re gonna win a championship witho…oh wait. But seriously, I hope this is speculative BS and he signs with us. It’d be nice to have more SP depth with 2 young guys and an older injury risk in the rotation.

• radnom says:

I hope this is speculative BS

I don’t know man, he agent said “he is moving on”….that is about as far from speculation as you can get.

The Yankees shouldn’t take it personally, just as Wang shouldn’t have taken demotion last year personally. The fact is, given the exact same deal Wang probably has a better chance to break the rotation and have success with another organization. Besides, sometimes you just need a change of scenery. I hope he comes back, but I don’t think it will happen and I wish him the best.

12. Steve H says:

Any idea if the Wang offer was open-ended at all? Let Wang explore….and if he doesn’t find the right fit, he comes back in….to the fold.

13. Ted Nelson says:

“Moving on” fits with the rumors of a rift… Otherwise he’d have probably said “exploring other options” or “all of his options.”

14. Evil Empire says:

Okay, I’m sure there is a golden opportunity for a double entendre regarding Wang and the Yankees having a “beef” … I’m just having trouble putting it all together in a dirty, humorous statement.

15. Jake H says:

If Wang and his agent are upset when Cash tells them to make an offer they are stupid. His agent should have come back and make one. If Wang has a problem with the way the Yanks handled that one time then he might want to ask his agent why they never made an offer to the Yanks.

16. r.w.g. says:

He’s hurt his shoulder a few times. He’s 30 years old. He never struck out a lot of guys in the first place.

I liked Wang, he had a knack for keeping his balls down (SWIDT?), but this is a non-loss. The guy is for all intents and purposes irrelevant to the New York Yankees.

Randy Johnson won 34 games while he was with us, too. With a higher ERA. I appreciate what the guy did when we were running out whoever else it was we were running out there when he was our best pitcher, but I don’t give a shit if he’s on the team or not.

17. Accent Shallow says:

I’m not thrilled about Nero’s language, but time will tell.

I’ll miss Wang.

18. colin says:

the penis jokes are starting to hurt

19. mustang says:

Wasn’t there also some beef between the Cashman and Wang camps this summer when Wang did not want to go to the pen. I think Cashman’s answer was I pay him to pitch or something like that.
    I get the feeling that neither side cares too much for each other right now.

1-Yankees taking him to arbitration in 2008 over $600,000
    2- the “Make us an offer,” line
    3-he issue of Wang’s rehab from the lisfranc injury he suffered in 2008
    4- the “I pay him to pitch” line.

You can see why Wang might of felt slighted.

20. larryf says:

He’s still bitter about 2 episodes in 2008 and feels that:

2 Wongs don’t make a Wight

21. I’d like to see Wang back if its still possible. The guy had one bad year, in which he was constantly injured. I think the Yankees might end up regretting not bringing him back.

22. [...] in Chien-Ming Wang. After the team non-tendered him earlier this month, we learned that they offered him a split contract which would add him to the active roster once his shoulder recovers. A few weeks later, a report [...]