Dec

Yanks interested in Kelvim Escobar

Via Marc Carig, the Yankees have expressed interest in free agent righty Kelvim Escobar. Brian Cashman indicated that he’s open to high-risk, high-reward pitchers, which is certainly what Escobar (and Ben Sheets) would be. From what I’ve seen, he’s looking to work in relief.

The 33-year-old has spent all but one day on the disabled list because of shoulder injuries the last two years, making a start for the Angels back in June before heading right back on the DL. Escobar will reportedly pitch in winter ball later this month to prove he’s healthy. There’s nothing wrong with kicking the tires, but there’s no way you can give a guy with this kind of injury history a Major League contract, even for one year. Minor league deal with a Spring Training invite, tops.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

I wouldn’t mind having Kelvim Escobar in the bullpen he has nasty stuff and would be perfect in the 7th or 8th inning.

• whozat says:

He HAD nasty stuff before he got hurt. He _may_ still have nasty stuff. He also _may_ be able to stay on the field for several months in a row.

High upside play, but the downside risk is you’re paying for him to sit on the DL. As long as you’re not paying much, no problem.

2. Drew says:

On a Minor League deal it would be awesome. Both as a starter or as a reliever.

3. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Awesome minor league depth move! Do it Cashmoney!

Also, at what time does the Rule 5 draft start tomorrow?? (which is my birthday by the way, i’m gonna be the big 1-8!!!!)

4. Reggie C. says:

I’d like to see the Angels get in on this one, before making the offer. Their coaches have been following Escobar thru his recovery – reinjury – re-recovery. If the Angels dont show any interest in bringing him back, Cash should beware that Escobar is simply perma-damaged.

If he’s unsigned when he makes those Winter Ball appearances, we should then take a long look.

5. Evil Empire says:

If we could pull off a minor league, invite to ST deal for Kelvim Escobar, I would be very pleased.

I have to guess that Cashman is NOT going after Rich Harden simply because he will be able to command a contract longer than 1 year.

6. Steve H says:

To the 8th!!!

7. JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

All kinds of WANT (for a minor-league deal, that is).

8. Ivan says:

I like Kelvim Escobar. Dude has NASTY stuff no doubt. I really care if he was starting or relieving, although I think he could be more of a weapon in the pen. Not to say he wouldn’t be a weapon in the rotation but in the pen with Mo would be devastating.

9. Chili Davis says:

I wouldn’t call Escobar “high-risk, high-reward.” There really wouldn’t be any risk in adding him. He won’t exactly be expensive, nor will he be counted on to join the rotation. Anything you’d get from Escobar would be a bonus.

I would definitely bring him in for spring training and hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

10. Mac1 says:

Fun fact, Kelim Escobar translated into English is pronounced “Kyle Farnsworth” – no thanks.

11. Bo says:

Theres no risk with a spring invite. There would only be risk if he got a major league deal.