Jan

Open Thread: Images of Johnny

When the Yankees agreed to a deal with Randy Winn this afternoon, it effectively ended Johnny Damon‘s tenure in pinstripes. I’ll admit it, I was one of the many who hated the Damon signing when it first happened because I despised him for his time with the Red Sox and that grand slam off Javy Vazquez in Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS. Although it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, Damon’s four years in the Bronx were more than enough to make me appreciate him as a player and as a person.

A .285-.363-.458 hitter with the Yanks, Damon hit more homers in pinstripes than with any other team he’s played for, and of course he was an important part of last year’s World Championship. His nine pitch at-bat against Brad Lidge in the 9th inning of Game 4 of the World Series was one of the greatest at-bats in recent Yankee history, and his double steal one pitch after that was perhaps the biggest moment of the postseason. Damon was tremendously productive with the Yanks, and he was integral in changing the culture from uptight and corporate to fun-loving.

We should all thank Johnny for his service in pinstripes. Even though I hated him at the start, I’ll readily admit he was worth every penny.

After the jump, we’ve got some of Damon’s finest moments with the Yankees. Pictures are worth 1,000 words, after all. Once you’re done perusing them, then go to town on this here open thread.

So long Johnny. Thanks for the memories.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Esteban says:

I’ll probably miss Matsui and Melky more, but I’ll definitely miss Johnny. O well, life moves on.

• I hope Jamie Hoffmann starts sticking his tongue out and screaming “SUCK MY NUTS” after big hits to fill that huge Melky void.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

It would be best if he did it in German. Nobody would hassle the Hoff if he did it in German.

• Giovanni says:

Couldn’t you just build yourself an HTPC for less money? I built mine for pretty cheap and I love everything it can do.

• Rich says:

This is a tremendous mistake letting Johnny D go. He brought a vibe to the Yanks that is something you just can’t put into words. Play injured….no problem. Hey Johnny we need someone to cover 1st base today….got it. When our #2 guy (you know who he is) couldn’t avoid hitting into double plays, they moved Johnny D there….problem solved. OBP or not, how many DP’s do you think Nick J hits into in the 2 hole? Ohhh….and of course, who will step up when he inevitably hits the DL? We could have have him and reasonably at that. I agree that Boras is a jerk, but c’mon we’ve coped with him for A-Rod and Tex.

2. I now owe a lot of people beers at the Stadium. Shit. I don’t got that kinda cash.

3. Drew says:

At 8:00 MLB Network is going to have a special on the top 50 prospects.

4. mike c says:

Worth every penny under 2mil apparently

5. Salty Buggah says:

Man, I’ll miss Johnny but hopefully not his performance. Now who will Swish do that celebration with?

I’ll never forget that AB/ Double steal and the day when he and Tex broke Bard.

6. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Repost:

You know, I did notice one thing. The Yankees were looking to get a guy who was a borderline player who played good defense but could hit LH pitching well. Well Winn plays good defense, but against LH pithig he’s awful. Yanks could have a real weakness there.

Though some bright spark on the Pinstriped bible pointed out that Granderson hit lefties still bad, but much better on the road than at home. So that’s good. Still, I’m worried at our lack of OF lefty production.

(looked up later)
    Career, he’s okay against LH’ers.

• andrew says:

Good thing i read your whole post before writing the obligatory “LASTY YEAR WAS A SMALL SAMPLE SIZE!!!!”

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Heh.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

But last year’s bad lh splits, plus his age, worries me.

Still, as TSJC pointed out, we now have a leftie, a rightie, and a switch hitter platooning at LF, and I expect Granderson to do at least only well below average instead of insanely below average against LH pitching, so we’ll be fine.

7. Kiersten says:

2004, not 2003. Since you must bring up horrible memories…

I wanted Johnny back originally, but after the way he’s acted this offseason, pass.

8. DP says:

As Girardi said, “Johnny is going to be missed.” But, c’est la vie.

9. Stones says:

Say for a minute that Johnny does make the Hall of Fame, which cap does he wear?

Kansas City Royals 6 Seasons
    .292/.351/.438 65HR 100 OPS+

Boston Red Sox 4 Seasons
    .295/.362/.441 56HR 108 OPS+

New York Yankees 4 Seasons
    .285/.363/.458 77HR 114 OPS+

It has to be the Yankees, right? It’s true he was part of the “reverse the curse” 2004 Red Sox but he’s got one with the Yanks too.

• Drew says:

I don’t see him in the hall. Maybe if he was able to stay at CF throughout his career..

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Right, but he was saying as a hypothetical. I’d say he goes with the Yankees if he were to be elected. Too much strife with Boston.

• DP says:

As Andre Dawson proves, you have no say in which team you go in with, though Damon probably would/will go in as a Yankee. I mean the guy is 575 hits short of 3,000. Not that I necessarily think he’s a HOF’er, but he’ll likely find his way in.

• I’d say he goes with the Yankees if he were to be elected. Too much strife with Boston.

Well, it’s not like his ending here was exactly peaches and cream. We told him not to come back. The Sox just got outbid.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

There has yet to be a public backlash against Damon, and I doubt there will be one. The situation in Boston saw much brouhaha because of the statements he made (I want to stay in Boston, I’ll never go to New York, etc.) and how he was vilified by the fan base.

Who knows how the reaction will be in ten years. He’s treated as a Benedict Arnold now, but he was a key part of ‘The Idiots,’ which over time may sweeten those sour feelings.

I don’t really care one way or other, but it seems the break off with the Yankees was much more amicable when considering how the fans view it.

• Kiko Jones says:

Agreed.

10. Good Luck Johnny!!!! You will always be a True Yankee to me.

11. dch says:

Really thought some how, some way damon would come back. Winn? really?

12. If I’m Hideki Matsui, am I pissed right now? I got one measly picture in my RAB farewell post.

Thanks a lot, ingrates.

• JAG says:

To be fair, Matsui had less photos of him looking ridiculous. Seriously, half of those Damon shots were of him doing something bad or just looking funny.

-JM

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

I’ve asked this before, but why on earth do you sign “JM” at the bottom of all your posts? If you felt that strongly, you could simply change your handle from “Cruddy old CBS show bout military police” to “JM” and we wouldn’t bat an eye.

13. JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

I’ll miss how funny he looked running around the outfield, his arm struggling to get balls to the infield on multiple hops, his uppercut swing perfectly made for YS3, his awkward post-game interviews, his awestastic rasslin’ skills, his wife’s awesome fake boobs, his unbelievable focus on 2 outs while playing LF, and his ability to read the market.

I can’t wait to see you in Newfoundland, Johnny. Crazy Whores are going to mash.

14. Salty Buggah says:

Winn, Winfree, and Ring. I like the names Cashmoney is bringing in. And I’m pretty sure Gorecki means championship in some language.

15. Accent Shallow says:

Yup, Johnny won me over during these past four years. I’ll definitely miss him.

But he got a ring while he was here, and if the Yankees can get another one, that’ll take the sting out of it.

16. SteveD Fla says:

Borassssss screwed Johnny Damon. I wanted him back for another year or two myself. He is a good club house guy and Yankee Stadium is built for him to hit. I was ok with the 2 yr 18 mil(?) He did have a very good WS for the Yankees. Oh well life goes on.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Not really. Damon has final say in these matters, so as such, he should bear just as much of “the blame”.

• Drew says:

My thoughts exactly. Boras is doing what he can to get his client the most money. It’s up to JD to sign the contract. It’s not as if Boras is withholding offers.

• Steve H says:

Damon has probably made an extra $30 million in his career for being represented by Boras. Whatever he may have cost him this year he certainly made up for in the past.

17. Paul M. says:

Wow, I’m really going to miss Johnny. To me he’s been one of the core players of the Yankees since he got here. But Boras screwed him.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Again, Boras has not screwed anyone. Damon is privy to all of the deals proposed and can choose to accept or deny any deal. He can even dictate to Boras what kind of teams he’d like his agent to focus on, how he’d like to be marketed, what his priorities are, etc.

Say you work in a field like urban planning. You’re working on a contract basis with a firm. Contract ends, you can renegotiate with them and also look for other firms that may be interested in your services. You hire a headhunter to find you other potential suitors, while also negotiating a deal with the former employer. Say one firm offers you $90k, but you think you can get $110 at your old job. Your headhunter/agent can make recommendations to you, but ultimately, he/she WORKS FOR YOU. You make the decision.

Say you pass on the job offering $90k and they hire someone else. Your options just lessened, as there are fewer suitors on the market for your services. The former employer looks around and says, “Hmm…no way you’re getting $110k. We’re looking to pay $75 k.” You again decline, expecting something else in the market, still holding onto a figure around $95+. It doesn’t come and eventually other suitors fill their needs. You’re left looking at $65k now with nowhere else to go. Them’s the breaks, unfortunately.

You, as much as your agent, may have misread the market, but when there are deal out there and you choose not to take them, you’re not absolved from error, regardless of the direction the agent/headhunter went.

18. Mike HC says:

I am now very curious as to what Damon ends up getting. I know Boras puts himself at the forefront and takes all the criticism, while the client, in this case Damon, seems like an innocent victim of a shitty sports agent. In reality, Damon has a shit market no matter who the agent. I am curious to see if Damon can still get a deal similar or greater than Abreu, or if his value is even worse than that.

• Mike HC says:

Also, is it out of the question for Damon to decide he can’t stand to play for a losing a team, and prefer to come back to the Yanks for a seriously reduced price. Maybe one year for 5 or 6 million. He is not exactly a conventional guy and five million is still a ton of money. I think there is still at least a long shot chance that Damon ends up with the Yanks. I’m obviously grasping at straws here a bit.

19. Ben says:

Love the pictures – they really tell all the stories about Johnny. Great hits, fans loved him, goofy defense, having fun and that double steal of course.
    We’ll miss you Johnny – Go sign with the Reds, relax for a couple years and enjoy your retirement

20. Kiko Jones says:

As a good friend and fellow Yankee fan recently said, “There aren’t too many players that can go from uber-rival to a member of our family within weeks of his debut season in pinstripes.”

“Johnny Was”, indeed.

21. Ivan says:

I’ll miss Johnny, dude was a terrific player for the yankees.

22. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

A must-read. An article from wikipedia entitled “Lists of Humorous untis of Measurement.”

My personal favorite: the MegaFonzie, used to measure coolness.

23. joemomma says:

Since we skipped on johnny, we best be getting Jayson Werth or Carl Crawford next year -_-

24. T-Dubs says:

Johnny Damon: Hall of Famer?

He’s at 2425 career hits. Even if his production dips to say 165 hits/yr. It would take him 3-4 seasons to get 3,000.

Say he finishes around 250 HRs and around 400 SBs, with 2 VERY memorable World Series victories.

It’d be very interesting. He’d have to wear a Sox hat huh?

• Accent Shallow says:

I’d be surprised if he gets to 3000, and if he did, he’d be among the weakest Hall of Famers.

• JAG says:

Andre Dawson got in. If Damon gets 3K hits, he’s got to have a better case.

-JM

• Accent Shallow says:

Disagree. Dawson has a RoY and an MVP, a lot of Gold Gloves, several superstar level seasons, home run titles, a reputation for being wronged by having to play on turf, and a reputation as a “gamer” for giving the Cubs a blank contract just so he could play.

Damon has some rings, and . . . that’s it.

25. J.R. says:

I don’t think anyone would have predicted that neither Damon or Matsui would come back.

26. Ivan says:

As bad as the nets are, I think they are in good shape. Lets say they draft Wall, and sign lets say CB4, they could be really good in 2010. No?

27. vin says:

This whole offseason, we’ve been listing the dwindling number of potential teams JD could sign with. Of course the Yanks was the clear bet. Who’s left? The Rays? The Braves?

28. Help me out, folks, I’m confused. Why would the Winn signing change anything?

-The Yanks have no budget

-Brian Cashman is lying when he says he only had 2 mil to spend

-Johnny hasn’t actually signed anywhere else.

-Left Field still hasn’t been filled with an All-Star, Winn and Gardner are both 4th OFers.

Posturing, folks. Its ALLLLLLLLL posturing.

29. mustang says:

Mets Deep In Negotiations With Tatis
    6:46pm: Adam Rubin of The New York Daily News says a deal should be wrapped up “shortly.”

6:48pm: Tatis signs with the Pirates LOL

30. T-Dubs says:

Anyone ever play this Out of the Park Baseball game? It took up the majority of my workday today when I figured out you can play as historical teams with the real rosters. Good news! The Yankees (and Don Mattingly) won the 1988 World Series…

….with the help of Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds and Greg Maddux…

Tomorrow’s goal: fixing 2004

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Goal number 1: Kill Kevin Millar. Make it look like an accident.

Goal number 2: Hire attractive female to distract Theo Epstein from the Red Sox with sex games.

Goal number 3: Go to Phoenix in the dead of night and steal Curt Schilling, covertly.

Goal number 4: Talk Boone into playing pickup basketball…

• T-Dubs says:

Right now in the game (1989) Schilling is in the Yanks system in AAA. I’m stockpiling prospects for a run at a young kid named Griffey something.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Sounds like a plan.

Just don’t let Theo see him. If he does it will trigger a memory flash and the true nature of the uuniverse will be revealed, and all your work lost.

• vin says:

You’re doing noble work. Keep it up!

31. #
    # Red Sox GM Theo Epstein told Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News that he wouldn’t have made the Billy Wagner deal last August without the shot at two draft picks.

If you’re a Mets fan, this has to drive you batty. Your farm system sucks, you can use all the picks you could get your hands on. Not that the Mets pay over slot, but that’s another matter.

Why give up Wagner with a month to go in the season? To save 2 mil? You give up a Type A to save a few mil?

• Well, you’re not only saving the 2M, you’re also saving the 2M that the extra first round pick would get in signing bonus money.

But yeah, you’re being a cheapass and giving up on actually acquiring talent and trying to win.

Meaning either A) the Madoff scandal REALLY made you broke or B) You don’t give a shit and should have your franchise taken away for noncompetitiveness.

• Even the Gary Matthews deal was another example of this. Not that Brian Stokes was anything special, but you shouldn’t give up ANYTHING in a salary dump deal if you’re willing to pick a SOME salary. Stokes could have seen some action in the bigs if they had an injury or two.

But the Mets would rather give up a piece that could be useful and have the Angels pick up virtually ALL of the salary. They can’t even do a salary dump right.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

It’s a weird situation, but they invested something like $520 million in two accounts with Madoff, and withdrew $570 million. Of course, that money can’t be touched, and their trustee is suing the Madoff family for $199 million. Still, the whole thing is fuzzy. The Wilpon’s had invested with Bernie for years. There’s no telling how much they made/lost overall.

• r.w.g. says:

The Mets are same team that’s still paying Bobby Bonilla for crying out loud.

I know they are supposed to be healthy this year, but I think the collective recent history of the team the death – spiral that was Willie Randolph’s stint as manager, the worst collapse ever, Jose Reyes’ dance, shirtless fight club in the minor leagues, calling out reporters for pretty much no reason, Jerry Manuel – has pretty much ruined their shot to be a genuine contender with this group.

• The Mets are same team that’s still paying Bobby Bonilla for crying out loud.

Yeah, but they’re probably saving money in that unique contractual hijinks. It’s not really the best example of how to bang the Mets for being a dumbass cheap franchise.

• r.w.g. says:

You’re right. They owed him 5-6MM and are paying him 25MM+ now, but they spread it out over so many years.

Might be nice to have an extra $1MM a year to throw in the draft pot, though.

32. What, no pictures with him holding half a bat?

33. vin says:

Pretty nice offseason so far by Cashmoney. The team is very comparable to last year’s (bench aside for now), but has quite a bit more certainty and cost effectiveness.

Out:
    Damon – plays in a lot of games, but is not an everyday type guy.
    Matsui – not an everyday DH, can’t play the field.
    Melky – inconsistent, and is starting to get pricey.

In:
    Granderson – everyday player with a reasonable contract
    Winn – versatile OF, cheaper than Melky, consistent player (prior to ’09)
    Johnson – good price, no long term commitment, DHing should help keep him healthy
    Vazquez – one of (if not) the most reliable pitcher in the game… and he’s effective.

Of the 4 guys they added, only 1 has a guaranteed contract for ’11. The roster is more flexible, younger, better defensively, and the pitching depth is improved from this time last year.

34. John NY says:

I can’t help it. I’m so pissed at Damon. There’s much hatred for Boras but Damon is the one to blame. The buck stops with him. He could easily have said, get me the best deal and I’ll sign. He’s the client! Instead, he got greedy. I don’t believe this was solely on Boras. He has to report to Damon what the offers are and ultimately, Damon has final say.

Greed is what blinded this man. 2 years at 14 million was his max deal and that wasn’t enough. Where did the blindness come from? Did Boras say….i’ll get you your money? Was Boras gambling with the FA market and lost? Why didn’t Damon step in and say….enough! The Yanks were his best place to succeed.

In the end, Damon had control over this. He could have stepped in and said…get me in a yankee uniform at the best price. To me, it was always about the money and never the Yankees. I don’t blame a player getting the most $$$ you can but Damon’s greed is disgustingly obvious. I’m sure Damon will play somewhere and get some money but he missed out on his best scenario and that’s playing for the Yanks!

Winn does not excite anyone but he’ll be useful from the bench/sport start. I am convinced it’s Cashman getting insurance up until July.

• Steve H says:

Damon’s greed is disgustingly obviousnormal. With pro athletes, it’s about the money, as it should be. The teams don’t show loyalty to the players, the players don’t to the team. There’s obviously exceptions to that, but for the most part it’s true. Why does Damon care about the Yankees over the money? He didn’t care about the Royals, A’s, or Red Sox over money, he’s not going to change now.

• vin says:

This.

As Damon has said… everytime he’s been a FA, he’s switched teams. Did he like playing in NY? Probably. Is he crazy for leaving a good situation to take a higher offer? No. Damon had his chance @ 2/14, and he blew it.

• Loyalty has nothing to do with it. Teams pay players to perform. When they can no longer perform, they hire someone who can. Fans don’t want to see a lousy losing product, no matter how much they claim to love a certain player.

But with guaranteed contracts players still have a great deal. They get paid no matter what. Teams can lose money, owners lose control (Tom Hicks) and the players all still get paid. I’ve yet to see a player give back some salary after having a down year, so in Baseball the player really gets to have it both ways.

• If you were him, you’d probably want the most money you could get. I never begrudge a player taking the most $$. If I did, I’d have to hate half the Yankees on the current roster. As Yankee fans, we can’t say shit.

• John NY says:

As I mentioned, I don’t blame him for getting the most money and there is def. no loyalty. But it seems like he got his max deal and was too greedy to realize the market was not going to get better than the 2 years 14 million. My question would be who dropped the ball? Boras or was it Damon?

T Kepner just tweeted: “Damon said last month in a text that NYY offered 2 yrs/$14M. Today Boras said it was actually conditional on whether Nick Johnson would sign”

• Boras looks bad right now. He has to say something.

But I do believe that Damon and Johnson were linked, just not so literally. Once Nick signed, Johnny was all but done. The money and some of the roster space was spent. When Vasquez got here, it was really over. Fans just didn’t want to hear that.

• vin says:

“When Vasquez got here, it was really over. Fans just didn’t want to hear that.”

Apparently, yes. But we didn’t know for sure. We’ve heard Cash talk about budgets in the past, only to sign guys like Damon and Tex. The precedent was there… we just didn’t know how forthright Cashman was being.

My guess is that in this circumstance, he didn’t see Damon being such a difference maker that he needed to expand the budget. Damon is a better player than Winn, but is he 5 or 6 million dollars better? Cash didn’t think so.

35. Steve H says:

Peter Gammons leaves the MLB network and Casey Kelly gets ranked 28th best prospect in baseball. In all seriousness, do you think Kelly would be ranked higher if Gammons was still there?

36. Drew says:

Can’t wait till MLB Network gets down to Jesus.

37. Just in case radnom shows up.

Sorry, dude. No eating a shoe for me.

38. vin says:

How smart was Matsui (and Tellum) in all this. They knew enough to respect Cashman – especially when he said that DH was low on the priority list, and DH’s are easy to find.

It’s very possible that the DH only Matsui will make more than the LF/DH Damon in ’10. All because he saw what happened last year and jumped at the first offer. It worked for Burrell and Ibanez last year, too.

• John NY says:

That’s a good observation. Damon/Boras didn’t get that memo.

• Drew says:

Also, Deki is in a place where he can succeed. Good lineup and a decent hitting stadium. That makes for a good contract in 2011.

If JD ends up in a place like Oakland, not only will he been in a shit lineup, his numbers will drop in that park. Same with San Fran or Detroit.

• r.w.g. says:

Where else can he play, though? He clearly wants more than $7MM per.

Maybe OAK thinks paying him for half a season and then flipping him would work for them.

Obviously he wasn’t getting better offers from these other teams or he would have signed one.

• Drew says:

That’s what I’m saying, it was a great move by Hideki, horrible move by Damon. He’s really got nowhere to go that puts him in a situation for a better pay day in 2011.

• r.w.g. says:

Yeah. I mean.. even after everything, if Cashman went to them and said “Give me a number to present to ownership”, that’s Damon’s moment to say “I’ll play for $7MM-8MM, one year” — and I think ownership bites. Maybe I’m wrong.

But if Boras really played the mystery team card, he deserves it. Other teams now know what he wants and that nobody else is going to pay it.

Bidding the Tigers and Reds against each other? Good luck with that, Scott.

39. Evan says:

I have an extra ticket to the BNP Paribas Showdown on March 1st. Does anyone want to go with me?

40. RalphieD says:

what a joke they have montero at #19

41. Drew says:

Montero is listed at #19 on MLB Network’s top 50. Have they not gotten the memo? What gives?

42. Poopy Pants says:

I predict the Yankees sign a mysterious masked player named the Midnight Rider.
    MR has a terrible arm, can’t play the field, but can jack a few HR’s, have long at-bats and run a little. MR will get paid 3 million for one year to DH a little and play LF a little.
    MR also likes to celebrate HR’s with Nick Swisher and often implies eating pussy while doing so.

43. Steve H says:

Channel changed.

44. Steve H says:

Damon ops+’d 82 in his one year in Oakland, in a strong lineup. He’d be insane to sign there, especially if he does think he has a shot at the HOF.

45. Peter says:

they didn’t even talk about Jesus Montero but spent damn near 15 minutes on the red sox guys.

figures… ::sad face::

46. pete luciano says:

Winn stinks, his obp last yr was 318 and slugged, are you ready for this, 353. Nice job Cashnam, you might as well have taken a chance with a minor leaguer. The Yanks will be outfield shopping in June. Someone’s got to explain how Granderson(can’t hit leftys and his ops is 50 pts lower than any other Yankee starter), Winn, and Johnson replace Matsui, Damon, and Melky offensively. The Yankees are weaker offensively now, far more vunerable to left hand pitching, have less power, and far far less playoff and pressure experience. Not signing Damon was a bad bad move and this budget nonsense is a joke. How about Cashman tying up $46m for Kei Igewa and not giving Damon a lousy $6 or $7 million. Since when did we start shopping at Walmart for starting corner outfielders, please.

• RalphieD says:

yawwwwnn

• Zack says:

“not giving Damon a lousy $6 or $7 million.”

Did Cashman not offer 2yrs/14m?

• After reading comments at RAB for years now, I’m positive that there’s a verifiable statistical correlation between spelling/punctuation/grammar skills and critical thinking skills.

The better and clearer you write, the better and clearer you think. Every single gapless block of text full of typos I’ve ever encountered is also full of logical fallacies, murky reasoning, emotional overreactions, and garden-variety stupidity.

• this budget nonsense is a joke. How about Cashman tying up $46m for Kei Igewa and not giving Damon a lousy $6 or $7 million.

Right, whenever I get screwed on a used car that turns out to be a lemon, the first thing I do go buy another overpriced car.

Because hey, I just spent 46 grand on a piece of shit, what’s another 7 grand?

• Zack says:

But when you go buy that overpriced car, you’re not allowed to negotiate, whatever he claims the sticker price is you must pay.

• V says:

Dumb analogy.
        Damon is far from a piece of shit. He is very useful and has a perfect swing for Yankee Stadium.

How did the Yanks get screwed by signing Johnny Damon in the past? He has dome quite well here in NY.

• Zack says:

The 46m piece of shit was Igawa, that’s who the original post was referring to.

• Zack says:

“How about Cashman tying up $46m for Kei Igewa and not giving Damon a lousy $6 or $7 million.”

• How about the 46 mil is what economists call a “sunk cost” and has nothing to do with anything?

How about that?

• Zack says:

Works for me. However you want to phrase it, the point is still the same: Igawa shouldnt come up with you’re talking about other contracts, it has nothing to do with anyone. If Cash gave contracts based on Igawa’s then Jeter would be getting 50m/year extension.

• Wild guess. You wouldn’t be saying any of this if it was YOU’RE money being spent. Then you might take it a bit more seriously. Assuming of course, you’re not a complete fool with your money.

• Drew says:

2009 was an aberration for Winn.

I don’t see how we’re “weaker.” Grandy has more power than Damon and Johnson gets on base at a higher clip than Godzilla.

If nothing else we just got depth on our bench which was previously too young.

• Accent Shallow says:

Are we sure 2009 was an aberration? It’s not like he’s young.

• Warren says:

Reminds one of a 3rd baseman from years gone bye

• Drew says:

I’d bet on it. First off, his skill set is not the type that just falls off a cliff. I mean, his skills are still there, in 74 away games he managed a 295/345/404 triple slash.

Earlier, some people here cited his LD/FB/GB rates as part of the problem in his 2009. Many signs point to a better 2010. Besides the fact he’ll probably be hitting in front of one Derek Jeter.

• Kiko Jones says:

Indeed.

47. John NY says:

Cashman! via Bob Klap tweet:

BobKlap

More Cashman: “Boras told me I wouldn’t find a No. 2 hitter for less than $13 million. I found one for half that (Nick Johnson).”

BobKlap
    Cashman responds to Boras: “On Dec 17, we were told not to make an offer for a penny less than $13 million a year for two years.”

48. Hey ZZ says:

I had to post this b/c it reminded me of “Source: The Internet” which was freaking hilarious.

“Plus Cano has a problem hitting in the clutch (you could look it up).”

-Yankee fan

49. pete says:

wow mlb network/jonathan mayo. Just wow. “The minors’ best hitter” (at age 19, no less) is the 19th best prospect in baseball, huh? Whatevs, when Da Jesus (cwidt?) is hitting .390/.460/.630 at AAA in july and forces himself onto this team, they’ll realize their mistake. And yes, I am legitimately expecting montero’s numbers to be better in 2010 than they were in 2009 (though perhaps that line above is a bit excessive)

50. Teix is the Man says:

What’s ftw?

51. Stormrider6 says:

I will root for Johnny wherever he lands, except when he plays the Yankees. His charity work, especially with the Wounded Warrior foundation, is phenomenal. He’s not incredibly well spoken, but his actions speak louder than his words, and I have a great respect for him and his work.

52. John says:

MLB top 50 prospects: Montero at #19, no Aroldis Chapman and Jose Iglesias at #45. What a joke. Jonathan Mayo must be the worst talent evaluator in all of baseball.

• Zack says:

Did you watch the opening of the show?
      He explained how the list was put together; he basically had scouts and FO people rank their top 50 players based on ceiling, floor, closeness to the majors, whatever the person wanted, and he just averaged out the lists.

• Jake H says:

The problem with doing it like that is that most scouts will favor their own prospects, same with FO people. My biggest beef with the list Westmoreland who is on the list. Guy has all the talent in the world but hasn’t played above short season ball yet. He will be 20 during the season this year and he also has had a surgery each of the last 2 years.

• Zack says:

That’s a fair argument, but calling out Jonathan Mayo because he had Jesus 19 and stuff isnt right because it’s HE didnt sit down and list 1-50 based on his own opinion.

• Zack says:

but i do love the Jose Iglesias. 6m for a guy who might hit.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

He’s as close to Omar Vizquel as you’ll find with the glove. If he doesn’t hit, he’ll provide value with his glove, but he has tools to develop into a serviceable hitter. It’s really not a bad deal.

53. Jeff Levy says:

I love the shot of Damon signing baseballs, that’s an amazing angle and perspective. I’ll miss Damon. I still don’t know how Damon and the Yankees grew apart so quickly. Those were definitely negotiations gone awry.

• Devil In A Blue Cap says:

He was old and asking for too much money. Negotiations didn’t so much go awry as take place on two different levels: the Yankees’ reasonable read on the market for aging outfielders and Damon’s blindness to the fact that he was an aging outfielder. Awry makes me think of the A-Rod negotiations.

• Drew says:

I still don’t know how Damon and the Yankees grew apart so quickly.

JD and Scotty forced the Yankees hand. We needed a DH/LF, so they assumed they could offer their services at a premium. They neglected to respect Cashman’s ninjaitis.

DH? Bam, NJ Yankee reunion.
      LF? Bam, C-Grand to center, Melky to left(dealt thereafter).
      They misread the market and misread our GM/FO. That’s how they grew apart so quickly.

• Posts like yours make me understand why fans have been so irrational about him all winter. You really liked the guy on a personal level, and it doesn’t have anything to do with the business of running a team, which is mostly how I view these things.

I can understand where you’re coming from, I just never had such strong feeling for him good or bad. It’s not like he was Bernie Williams or David Cone. To me, he’s just another one of the really good players who pass through here.

54. Drew says:

These State of the Union Addresses have really become a joke with all of these applause breaks. For years now it has boggled my mind.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

It’s bad news bears when anything starts out with “think of the children.” Then again, I’m sure pedophiles dig that.

/will be leaving now

55. pete luciano says:

Cashman certainly got his right handed left fielder in Winn. His right handed stats last yr were 158/184/200 the worst right handed batting stats in 54 years of mlb compiling those stats. That certainly fills the need for a solid right handed bat. Was he on something when he made this move, really, check out those right handed stats, I’m not kidding, the worst in the 54 yr history of compiling those stats. Now we have Granderson with his 181 right handed stat line and Winn at 158. We’ve lost Matsui who kills leftys and Damon who hit them well. Where do we go late in games when tough leftys come in, and Winn and Granderson come up, want to pinch hit Gardner or Rule 5 Hoffman, please. Anyone that thinks we’re better are kidding themselves. We’ll be trading for outfield help by May, spending more and losing prospects. Trust me, if you think our offense is better you’re kidding yourself.

56. Steve H says:

You guys remember when “Randall” Winn hit a half court shot at an NBA game to win a car? I think I remember that they didn’t want to give him the car once they found out he was a pro athlete.

57. pete luciano says:

You’re right, Hoffman’s the answer, please. These nobodys never never work in NY. We’ll be looking for help by May.

• pat says:

SO true man, so true.

• Steve H says:

Since you’re probably someone who lives and dies by wins and losses from a pitcher, wouldn’t you say a “nobody” like Alfredo Aceves worked out just fine last year to the tune of a 10-1 record? Or Aaron Small and his 10-0 record? What about a “nobody” who thru the age of 29 hit .259/.336/.431, then proceeded to hit .303/.377/.492 once he got to NY. How did he work out? I’ll look for your reply below, since you have yet to master the reply button.

• pete luciano says:

Pitching reclamations happen far more often than hitting. Winn is 35 and getting worse. His career is completely defined with a large sample. He stinks, plain and simple. We have Granderson and Winn now in the lineup and both are automatic outs vs leftys. Oh yeah, I forgot, we have Gardner off the bench, bet he puts up some tough at bats on quality leftys late in the game. Get real, losing Damon and Matsui is going to hurt and who knows if Johnson can complete a healthy season. Our pitching is better and I applaude Cashman for thr Vasquez trade but this ridiculous budget and Winn in left field is absurd. We’re going to miss Johnny, believe me.

• Big Juan says:

We’ll take your word for it pete luciano — knower of all things baseball.

• Steve H says:

He’s also a knower of all things financial, since he considers a $200 million budget ridiculous. And all things health, since he’s not sure if Johnson can last a season, but apparently considers Matsui (who’s also 35 FWIW) to be the next Cal Ripken, despite two destroyed knees.

Now that I think about it, maybe pete luciano stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• pete luciano says:

You’re right, after blowing tons of money for years we put the brakes on when Damon’s price was discounted to 5 or 6 million. Chump change for the Yankees. Wait and see how much they blow fixing lf at or before the trade deadline. Seriously, we’ve gotten far far weaker vs leftys with Grandy, Winn, and Gardner truly suspect vs leftys. I never advocated signing Matsui but losing both will be difficult.

• Big Juan says:

Yankees Baseball Operations Meeting:

Cashman: Alright, as I’ve said before, Damon is off the table. I’m not paying more than $5 mil for a DH.
              Mark Newman: So where do we go from here?
              Cashman: I was thinking Randy Winn. He’s cheap, he can play all three outfield positions, and he might hit enough that LF won’t be a black hole.
              Newman: Sounds like a good id…

(enter man in a fit of rage)

pete luciano: This is an awful move! His career is completely defined by a large sample!
              Cashman: What the hell does that mean? Do you even work here?
              PL: No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last night.

aaand scene.

• pat says:

His career is completely defined with a large sample.

What the f*ck does this even mean?

• pete luciano says:

It means at 35 yrs old and more than 10 years in the league his numbers are not likely to change. Like you don’t change the spots on a leopard. He can’t hit right handed and Cashman was shopping for a right handed bat to complement Gardner, simple enough for you. Get it, he stinks.

• Steve H says:

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

And nice job being dead wrong, he’s been solid against RHP in his career, but last year, in a small sample size, sucked.

• Bah, Steve. You’re not supposed to point out factual and consistency errors in his comments. You’re supposed to agree because he said it. No substantiation needed.

• V says:

Fact. The Yankees lineup is not as good as last year, especially against left handed pitchers. Go get your charts and graphs, they never lie.

• Big Juan says:

Fact. The 2010 season hasn’t happened yet, thus, there’s no way you can accurately state the lineup is not as good.

Fact. Many people thought Damon and Matsui were washed up after 2008. 2009 turned out just fine.

Fact. If your argument is, “The Yankees lineup in 2010 will suck!!!”, you have no argument.

• pete luciano says:

Winn is a switch hitter. He hits ok lefthanded against right handed pitching. What I said is he’s awful batting right handed vs left handed pitching. How about a 158 batting av, a 184 obp, and slugging 200 right handed. Cashman said he wanted a right handed bat, nice job, this guy can’t hit right handed. MLB said his right handed stats were the worst compiled in 54 years. What the hell was he thinking.

• bexarama says:

“never never work”?

So… they work? I can’t… how does that even make sense??

• JAG says:

Yeah, that Brosius guy was such a bum. Why did we even bother with him? Oh and that Joe Girardi guy? Who the heck was that? These scrubs are so terrible.

You’re completely right, nobodys never work in NY.

-JM

58. kurt says:

thanks for the memories J D youl always have a place with me

59. joemomma says:

This just in : Scott Boras Demands $35 Million To Attend Mother’s Funeral

60. bexarama says:

If Javy and Randy get booed in the first game at the Stadium I might cry.

61. Kiko Jones says:

Aside from his little dance after “The Melky Catch”, this is possibly my favorite Johnny Damon moment (and it was during the “Walk-off Weekend” to boot):

Damon ejected for arguing balls and strikes

62. David says:

Johnny Damon is a great ballplayer and a valuable asset to any team. However, all this blame being put on Boras for Damon’s departure is foolishness. This is a man who came up with the Kansas Royals, a team I bet a player has trouble feeling a tie to after superstardom. He played a major role in the Red Sox ending their 86 year drought and then promptly LEFT for more money. As Yankees fans, you have to try and see it from an objective point of view since it benefited us, but that absolutely shows the guy has ZERO loyalty. He is a straight up mercenary.

• Big Juan says:

I see your point, but I don’t know if I see it that way. Damon is trying to get the contract he believes he deserves. And honestly, in another year, his 2009 season would probably warrant a two-year deal from someone.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

I feel like I’m beating an almost dead dog (is that the one?) by posting this BUT:

Damon is not a mercenary. Like most sensible people, Damon is looking to find the best offer on the free market. His loyalties lay with his family — not a particular baseball team owned by billionaires — as he should. Do you have any idea how many jobs the “average” American will have by the time they’re 38?

In business, loyalty only exists when both parties are satisfied with the other’s performance. Value trumps loyalty, plain and simple. I’m making around $50k right now and I like my job and employer for the most part. If I were to accept an offer for $65k at a different firm, would that make me a mercenary? Do you think they would hesitate to shit can me if they could find someone at 22 who could do my job just as well for $30,000? Hell no, and I don’t blame them. We’re both looking out for our best interests, not the other’s. Now if the situation is a bit different and I could only find $54,000 somewhere else in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, well I’d have to reevaluate my priorities. Staying in New York would be the answer, and not because of loyalty to my employer, but because this is a better situation for my overall quality of life.

Also, bear in mind that ballplayers have a limited window in which they can make money; maximizing earnings within that time frame is smart.

I think the conclusion that Damon shows no loyalty is correct; the premise that he’s a mercenary is incorrect.

• David says:

However, you are not being offered a more lucrative salary. The Yankees offered 2/16M, an offer that was easily above market price. Damon turned it down.

If his loyalty stayed with his family, he would have accepted the offer. “…family’s happy I play for New York. There’s no bigger place to go. If you play well here, you’re going to get paid.” http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08.....damon.html Spoken like a true mercenary.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Not to belabor this but the definition of mercenary is “working or acting merely for money or other reward; venal.”

His reward is he gets to play a sport he enjoys for money, just like hundreds of other MLB players. If he truly only plays the game for money, you might have an argument. Until we hear that’s the case, he’s not a mercenary. Even if it were, who cares? His job is to play baseball and if he can make $10 million a season off an owner likely making 1.5 X that off him, good for him. If we’re to suppose Damon does it solely for the money, the law of probability tells us he’s not the only one. Should those individuals be chided and vilified for taking a job that pays them well because they’re providing a valuable good or service? How many jobs have you had? If it’s more than one, you’re a fucking asshole for not sticking by your employer.

You could make a perfectly solid argument that Damon is actually very much undervalued in the market. Would it have been in his best interest to have taken the 2/$16 deal? Knowing what we know now, yes. But he didn’t take the deal because he felt he could have gotten a better deal, whether it be on the Yankees or somewhere else. He appears to have been wrong, but that simply does not equate with him being a “mercenary”—it means he made a miscalculation of the market.

Regarding his family, they live in Florida to the best of my knowledge. All you know about his family is Damon posturing to the media. So in other words, you don’t actually know anything.

• ROBTEN says:

His job is to play baseball and if he can make $10 million a season off an owner likely making 1.5 X that off him, good for him .

I wanted to emphasize this point too, and amend slightly my comment below.

To talk about a player as a “mercenary” or that he should have “loyalty” to a team and thus take a lower salary, is to take up the owners’ perspective. It is not so much a failure to recognize that MLB is a business, but rather to see it as a business from the owners’ point of view. “Loyalty,” in other words, would work out well in this case for the Steinbrenners, but not for Damon or any other players.

To be fair, I am not suggesting that this is necessarily a conscious decision on the part of fans. Being a “fan” means identifying with a team and that team’s interests. It’s just that in discussing a market system, to use terms like “loyalty” or “mercenary” obscure that the very nature of the market mechanism is about negotiating payment for a commodity. It is, in short, always about money. I would go even further to suggest that while the high level of players’ salaries in relation to other forms of employment might make it seem like they hold the power in negotiations, the market is set up to benefit the owners. Regardless of what Selig says, no one is going broke from owning a baseball team.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Well said. Because the fan roots for the interests of the team more than individual players, his/her sense of where loyalty should lie is naturally skewed toward one side. The biggest winners in sports are not the athletes—they are the owners. Almost every time.

If Damon were to be “loyal” and sign with the Yanks this year for $1 million, and he were so bad he cost them numerous games, would the “loyalty” of the fan be in favor of Damon? No, of course not. They’d want to jettison his ass out of there. The fan is not loyal to the player, the player not loyal to the owner, and the owner often not loyal to either. This is all an exercise more in Machiavellian politics than we’d like to admit. Often, it’s the fans who are duped. A shame they view it through the prism of circus and not business.

• ROBTEN says:

This.

FACT: Bernie Williams (may) have almost signed with the Red Sox

The point is, many fans don’t want to recognize that MLB is a business. The players should look to maximize their value, just as the owners look to maximize their leverage.

63. Peter says:

I would like to tell everyone a story….its getting late so consider this a bedtime story.

There once was a baseball player named Randy Winn. He was signed by the New York Yankees.

The End.

64. Reggie C. says:

Well … if Gardner’s confidence isn’t boosted by this Winn signing then nothing can do it. Gardner has got to think that Joe G. will stay with the hot bat so here’s hoping Gardner makes a commanding ST case en route to a ’09 Melky’ish campaign. I’ll trade Melky’s 13 homers for an extra .13 in Gardner’s OBP, and thus generate serious value out of the 9 hole.

65. Crazy Eyes Killa says:

JD will be missed

66. Andy K says:

Ridiculous negotiating by Cash and Boras each playing hardball. We all know JD was the best fit so unless he personally nixed the deal I can’t believe they couldn’t have met in the middle.

• Zack says:

Why are people still trying to blame Cashman for not paying over market for JD?

Has any other team ever made an offer to JD? Has any team beat 2yrs/14m? JD had his best offers from the yankees, but he refused.

67. Bo says:

Dont worry. Winn will be DFA’d by mid yr and they will be importing a bat to play LF.

Maybe if Cashman didnt give AAA pitchers 5 mil a yr he could have paid his leftfielder.

• pete says:

“Maybe if Cashman didnt give AAA pitchers 5 mil a yr he could have paid his leftfielder”

now you seem to understand how economics actually work. I’m glad you’re coming round.