Jan

Open Thread: Mobile app survey

Ben, Joe, and myself are constantly looking for ways to improve the RAB experience for our readers, and one of the things we’re discussing is a mobile application. Before we move forward with actually having it developed, we need to see what kind of interest you guys have in one.

The survey below is a whopping six questions long and should take you all of one minute to fill out, but it’ll be a tremendous help giving us an idea of whether or not putting an app together is worth it. You guys aren’t stupid, I’m sure you realize that if we don’t think we could made some money off it, we probably won’t go ahead with it. We’re not looking to get rich (not that we’re opposed to it), but the more we have to offset our perpetually increasing hosting costs, the better.

You won’t have to input any personal information and we wouldn’t share it anyway, as per our privacy policy. We just want to add up all the survey information and use that to determine whether or not we move forward with a mobile app. At that point perhaps we can boost our revenue and justify spending even more of our time on the site. I think that’s works to everyone’s benefit.

Take the RAB Mobile App survey.

Thanks in advance, we greatly appreciate it.

Anyway, now that that’s taken care of, use this puppy as your open thread for the night. The Devils and Nets are the only local teams in action tonight, but American Idols auditions are on and those are usually good for a laugh. Anything goes, just be nice.

1. freemont says:

who’s watching the marquette game? i know i am

2. The answer to the Yanks LF/bench problem.

You heard it here first.

3. Mike Axisa says:

I see in the survey responses that people are asking about a mobile app cost. It won’t be expensive, like $0.99 to download or something like that, with no monthly subscription fee or anything.

4. What do you guys think will be the impact of the King Feliz/Josh Johnson extensions?

My first impression is that it doesn’t change much. The fact remains that they could be dealt in coming years, especially Josh Johnson. The Marlins didn’t really want to pay him, they had their arm twisted by the MLBPA and Bud Selig. They may decisde to deal him not because he isn’t signed, but because the big mnoney is kicking in and they’re rebuilding (Jake Peavy/Dan Haren). I could still see him being dealt, maybe as soon as this year’s trade deadline if they fall out of it and get a good offer.

King Felix is a bit different, Seattle is a solid franchise. But if they have another 08 campaign, they will certainly make Lee available and possibly Felix as well.

• Mike Axisa says:

Felix isn’t going anywhere for a long time. Seattle’s not poor, they could afford to pay him nine-figures when that deal is up.

Johnson’s a different story, I’m sure he’ll be available soon enough. Lincecum and Verlander will get there’s soon, within a year.

• I agree. The only scenario I can see Felix being dealt is if they have another 08 and decide to blow it up and rebuild. That implies new GM and manager, which is basically a doomsday scenario. At that point, he may either demand a trade and/or they’ll figure they’re a few years from contending again and decide to deal him since he’s they’re most valuable commodity.

• Drew says:

I heard the Fish were planning on the extension before Selig opened his mouth. I think Selig and the MLBPA may have forced their hand towards Uggla and Cantu but not so much JJ. That said, I’d guess that he’ll be there for a few more years, unless they get offered ridiculous talent which is more than possible.

• They absolutely were negotiating, that was reported everywhere. But they hit what appeared to be a major stumbling block where talks broke down, and then Bud and the Union stepped in and the deal got done.

• Drew says:

Still, I think the timing was coincidental, Loria told JJ a while ago not to worry and that a deal would be done. Like I said, I think Ugly and Cantu benefited from Bud’s stance more so than Johnson.

• Accent Shallow says:

The Marlins’ story for years is that they’ll open up the payroll when they get the new stadium. Now that MLB has forced their hand, they may be unlikely to go down the ultra-cheap path again.

Not that they wouldn’t deal Johnson if it were advantageous, but now he’s not a lock to get dealt if he’s making more than $5m.

5. ultimate913 says:

Hey, Mike. Is the boxscore idea I mentioned a possible one? Or would you not do that because it is already possible to view through ESPN’s app or MLB’s app?

6. Marc says:

For the mobile app, make it have some feature that the website normally wouldn’t have. Otherwise, I’ve got no reason to spend $0.99 to read the articles when I could just as easily open it up on the browser. I mean 99 cents isn’t a big deal to me, but may be to some people. That is sales tactic #101.

7. Ct_chris says:

Don’t comment much, but love the content and discussion. Have both an itouch and palm pre. Use both to check RAB on web. Having a dedicated app would be great and would be willing to pay up a few dollars for the convenience.

8. “Ben, Joe, and myself are constantly looking for ways to improve the RAB experience for our readers, and one of the things we’re discussing is River Ave. Hookers a mobile application.”

/firstdraft’d

9. DP says:

Hahahah. Preston Wilson? Really?

• vin says:

I still can’t believe Preston was drafted the same year as Jeter. Derek made it to the big leagues in half the time.

• vin says:

Another Preston Wilson note:

He has the lowest single-season OPS+ for any player to hit 35+ hrs, and 140+ rbi. Matt Williams had the 2nd lowest.

2003 – .282/.343/.537/880 ops, 36 hrs, 141 rbi.

Of course OPS+ adjusts for ballparks, and he played in Colorado that year.

• J.R. says:

He also batted behind Todd Helton that year and Helton was a machine. I remember they would always walk Helton to get to Preston.

10. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

i was thinking the app wouldnt be just like rab in a safari window, but more like my echofon twitter app…make sense?

11. J.R. says:

I just use my Blackberry on the bus and have had very few problems with it. The only thing I cant do is post comments, and sometimes the format gets a little screwy around pictures.

12. Stop the madness, people.

Leave it up to some folks and Manny Banuelos will be wearing triple digits.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I agree with all suggested names except O’Neill.

• vin says:

Yeah, me too. Too bad Jorge and Thurman doesn’t/didn’t wear #8, that would be more efficient.

• DP says:

I think it should basically just be HOFs unless there’s a real good reason. The currently retired numbers that aren’t HOF are Billy Martin who spent many years with the organization, Don Mattingly who basically represents the entire 80s and early 90s (and was a captain), and Thurmon Munson (for obvious reasons). That (to me) rules out Bernie and O’Neill, and without a lot more work, Posada and Pettitte.

• JGS says:

they should give 6 to Montero

• 2 – Derek Jeter-Of Course
      6 – Joe Torre-No
      20 – Jorge Posada-No
      21 – Paul O’Neill-No
      42 – Mariano Rivera-Duh
      46 – Andy Pettitte-No
      51 – Bernie Williams-Yes

Torre deserves it, but he’s burned so many bridges with the Yanks that he’ll die before getting his number retired. If George was himself, he’d bury the hatchet. But I don’t think his sons have any use for Torre.

Bernie is top 5 on so many offensive franchise lists that he’s a no brainer. The Yanks have already told him that if he would just officially retire, they’ll give him a day. Could happen later this year.

The rest are NO.

• JGS says:

I’m going to disagree on Posada–he is up there with Yogi and Dickey

• That. Posada’s number should be a lock for Monument Park. One of the top 10 catchers in MLB history.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I want Posada retired too but dude he’s not even close to Yogi or Dickey. They shouldn’t even be discussed with each other.

• JGS says:

by OPS+

Dickey: 127
            Berra: 125
            Posada: 124

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Dickey: BA 313, OBP 382, 202 HR’s

Yogi: 358 HR’s, OBP 348, BA 285

Jorge: BA 277, OBP 379, HR’s 253

Holy Fuck. I was totally wrong. Posada is unquestionably in, first ballot.

• JGS says:

his counting stats suffer because he wasn’t a rookie until 25, but all this from a catcher is historically good

• Mike Axisa says:

Jorge’s problem is that he was stuck playing with so many great players. Jeter, Mo, etc. He was never “The Guy.”

Tremendous player, better HOF case than most realize, should be a Monument Park shoo-in.

• vin says:

I just realized myself that, Posada has been without a doubt a better hitter than Pudge.

Of course Pudge has him beat in the counting stats because he reached the bigs at such and early age (I suppose there’s value in that).

In terms of offensive catchers, Jorge is firmly entrenched in that 2nd tier… along with Cochrane, Dickey, Gabby, Bench, Berra, Campy, and Lombardi.

Of course the 1st tier only has 1 member – Piazza.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

IDK. Great hitter, terrible defender. If WAR worked with ctacher defense I don’t know how kind it would treat Piazza. Yogi in contrast had superb defense.

• vin says:

Oh yeah. I’m talking about offense only though. Which is why Pudge will probably be a 1st or 2nd ballot HOFer, and Jorge won’t (nor shouldn’t).

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Oh yeah. Offense only, it’s Piazza.

• He doesn’t have to be close to Yogi or Dickey to merit inclusion in Monument Park. That’s like saying that Jeter shouldn’t be included because he’s not close to DiMaggio or Mantle.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

His comment was, “He’s up there with Yogi and Dickey.”

He deserves to be in monument park, butalthough he’s a first ballot HOF’er, Yogiand Dickey were still, you know, better.

• Drew says:

Bern, Jete, Mo and Torre are yes’s in my book.

A couple more years of Po behind the dish will make him a yes too.

• Quickly:

2 – Derek Jeter – Yes
      6 – Joe Torre – Almost, but not quite
      20 – Jorge Posada – Yes
      21 – Paul O’Neill – No
      42 – Mariano Rivera – Yes
      46 – Andy Pettitte – Yes
      51 – Bernie Williams – Yes

Left out from the list, but most definitely will be included when all is said and done:

13 – Alex Rodriguez – Yes

Something else to think about eventually, especially if he’s still good, resigns, and extends his Yankee career with more productive years after his initial contract is up:

25 – Mark Teixeira – ?????

—————————————–

1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 7 – 8 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 13 – 15 – 16 – 20 – 23 – 32 – 37 – 42 – 42 – 44 – 46 – 49 – 51

We SHOULD have like three or four times as many numbers retired as other teams. Our team is three or four times better than theirs is.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Joe Torre’s number must be retired. He’s a legend. Made the playoffs every year and brought four world championships to New York. Clueless Joe? I don’t think so.

If you notice..nobody has even mentioned the #6 since Torre left. I’m pretty sure they are saving it for a Joe Torre Day sometime down the road. Maybe after Torre retires after the 2011 season. (Torre said that 2011 will be his last year)

Said by one of the guys running the blog.

And I can’t disagree more. Torre is great and all but seriously why have a problem with Girardi? He’s a good manager. He’s made what a couple mistakes this year? He gets a lot of shit since he’s the poor guy who replaced Torre but damn even after a nWorld Series win he’s labeled as Clueless?

Plus I have no effing idea how the hell Girardi can win 4 championships in 2 years. if anyone can tell me how that’s possible let me know. And if Torre had to endure some 2008 injuries I’m sure he wouldn’t lead that team to the playoffs.

• Accent Shallow says:

Unfortunately, I can see all of those eventually being retired, with the exception of Paulie. (They gave the number to LaTroy Hawkins, I’m sure they’ll give it out again)

13. From Ben’s “Nine Innings” interview with Jesse Spector:

Jesse’s question:

Who’s been more important to the Yankees’ success over the last decade and a half: Derek Jeter or Mariano Rivera?

Ben’s response:

Hands down it’s Derek Jeter. I love Mariano Rivera as much as the rest of us. He’s one of my all-time favorite Yankees, and no one has been a better closer than he has. But he throws very few innings a year and doesn’t have a just to impact the game until the end. Jeter, meanwhile, plays nearly every inning of nearly every game. He has a more direct impact on far more aspects of the game than Rivera. I’ll take a Hall of Fame position player over a Hall of Fame closer any day.

What Ben’s response should have been:

Is it true that if you don’t “use it”, you “lose it”?

14. Hey ZZ says:

Jerry Hairston: “Brian Cashmans going to get mad at me, but Yanks didn’t make me offer because he’s waiting on Damon price to come down”

• Drew says:

Ha. He was on BBTN this afternoon as an in-studio analyst. They asked him about the Mets situation and what their deal is, he was like, “I can’t say what I think because who knows I might be playing there next year.”

15. Drew says:

Hmm.. Joel Pineiro to the Angels? Yes please.

He had a great year with the Cards but I don’t see him translating to the AL like he did in 03-04 with Seattle. He’s a different pitcher now.

16. AndrewYF says:

Posting via my mobile….I think something like what mlbtr uses would be perfect

17. Salty Buggah says:

Jim Bowden just tweeted this:

Jerry Hairston “Brian Cashmans going to get mad at me, but Yanks didn’t make me offer because he’s waiting on Damon price to come down” on XM

18. RobC says:

I need some help from a stat head er I mean SABERmatrician..
    The fantasy league I am in is debating add some different scoring stats for this year.
    One guy wants doubles b/c HR are “too valuable” since they give a H, RBI, R, HR and inc OPS.
    Since HR are more valuable in real life I do not see a problem with them being more valuable infantsy.
    This lead to the guy saying “You can win a real life baseball game with just walks and singles and doubles hitters” I agree IF you have top pitching and defense.
    So how much more valuable are HR than BB, singles and doubles?

19. Danny says:

Why not just a mobile version of the site instead of creating a separate app for each platform?

• Drew says:

Just my 2 cents, an app would enable them to try and recoup some money. A mobile version would cost them money and time without any added cashola. I have a Pre and the site is fine as is, I’d guess it’s just as well on Iphones/touches. That said, if an app came along that made RAB even easier to work on my phone I’d gladly pay a couple bucks.

• Danny says:

I guess if the motivation was to make some money, then an app would make sense. Although making an app (for one or more platforms) will cost a lot more time and money than just creating a mobile site that any phone can access.

If they do go the app route, I would like to see them use something similar to what Engadget recently released for the Pre. It would be a good template and they’ve got a pretty decent commenting system in place.

I also have the Pre and like you said, the site displays just fine. An app would have to offer something a little extra. What that little extra is, I’m not sure.

• whozat says:

On my iPhone, the site looks great, and the phone’s tap-to-zoom makes it easy to bring the post and the comments to just the rght size. The commenting software, though, CRAWLS.

• Accent Shallow says:

They had a mobile version of the site, and it seemed to pop up at inopportune times via normal browser.

(At least in my experience)

• Slu says:

Seconded. I’d love a mobile version of the site.

20. RobC says:

BTW the coaches clinic I was at in NJ I asked Dave Eiland if Mariano River is human. Eiland is not sure.

• RobC: Dave, is Mariano Rivera human?
      Dave Eiland: I can’t tell.
      RobC: You can tell me, I’m a blogger.
      Dave Eiland: No, I mean I’m just not sure.
      RobC: Well, can’t you take a guess?
      Dave Eiland: Well, not for another two hours.
      RobC: You can’t take a guess for another two hours?

• RobC says:

ball buster…..

He did sign a baseball for my son.
        I told him it would go on the shelf next to Cal Ripken Jr, Bob Feller and Kevin Long
        Im not sure if thats right….Ripken and Feller are not Yankees

lets see you take a try at my early post

21. Just in case anyone is bored:

22. Accent Shallow says:

The Rays signed a Czech (!) 16 year old:

23. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Fucking badass. Holy Shit.

Summary (true story, BTW): A plane crashes in the Amazon rainforest, and a seventeen year old girl is the only survivor. She has a broken colarbone and a severe concussion, but her parents were biologits so she knew about the rainforest. She found (with a BROKEN COLLARBONE and a CONCUSSION) a small creek and followed it downstream, since she knew people lived by water supplies. For ELEVEN days this girl did this, with no food or water. She waded through piranha and candiru (read the article, nasty critters) infested water when the vegetation got too thick until she was finally found and gotten aid.

Most badass. Thing. Ever.

24. chriskeo says:

Just putting this out there: Android app maybe?

25. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

TSJC just lost your faith in humanity. If you want to regain it, read this:

26. Evilest Empire says:

If I ever randomly decided to start up a blog about the Minnesota Twins, this would totally be my banner image:

27. Ankit says:

are you afraid to do business?If you have something in your mind guys you must execute it. Because i saw a company called Spicelabs from India Their CEO got an Idea of developing a mobile platform for all and he has started a company for their product Mitr (mobile software)and they are working very hard.for more information you can see

So my view is to go for it don’t afraid with the result unless you know what you are doing has potential.

28. CapitalT says:

Survey site isn’t working this morning.

I also tried last night from my blackberry but had difficulty. It might be me :)

29. Wake me up when it’s the 4th quarter and there’s 3 minutes left.