Jan

Report: Joba’s going to show up early to camp

Via Mike Puma, fifth starter candidate Joba Chamberlain will show up to Tampa to begin workouts next week, about two weeks before pitchers and catchers are required to show up. Joe Girardi indicated that Joba, as well as Phil Hughes, Al Aceves, Chad Gaudin, and Sergio Mitre will compete for the fifth starter’s spot in Spring Training (though I suspect Mitre was lumped in as a courtesy), so it’s good to see Joba put the extra work in.

“I’m going to go in and understand a lot of guys are fighting for that spot,” said the righty. “Nothing is guaranteed.” That’s certainly nice to hear, at times Joba seemed a little too comfortable with his spot on the team last year.

Categories : Asides, Spring Training

1. Salty Buggah says:

Good! He has a swelled head and is an overrated piece of shit. Hughes should show up early too because of lack of toughness and is also an overrated piece of shit! Can’t wait until they’re off the team within the next 3 years!

2. radnom says:

Did he? I mean of course his results were inconsistent but the kid was also 23 and in his first full season as a starter. I don’t recall him saying anything that would indicate he was taking anything for granted.

Still, this is definitely good news.

• Drew says:

A lot of people questioned his commitment(is that the word I’m looking for??) when he said things like, “the sun will come up tomorrow and I’ll get back to work,” and “I thought I had good stuff.. they hit good pitches.” I never understood the concern but a lot of people were put off by him when he said it.

• As you mentioned, the dude was 23, inconsistency should be expected. I guess some people would rather him just say, “Man, I sucked tonight. I was the worst.”

The same thing happened w/IPK that day he got rocked by the Angels. What’s he supposed to do? Sit there in front of his locker and tell everyone he sucks?

Chamberlain’s “quotes” show someone who realizes that, as a pitcher, he must have a short memory. I’d rather he say stuff like that.

• Drew says:

Word.

I have to say though at the time I was a little pissed at IPK. I think Joba may have been a little different in that he was basically a fixture in our rotation.
          IPK, a recent call up, came into Hell’s Kitchen while we were grasping for a playoff spot.

After the 2 inning bludgeoning of a performance IPK said “I’m over it.” Or something along those lines. I think it was a different situation that was exacerbated by the fact that we hadn’t missed the playoffs in 13 years and his start was a pretty big one.

• Rocky Road Redemption (Formerly RAB Poster) says:

Yeah, I’m with you on this one.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

I may be reading into it but I think the media/some fans mistaken Joba’s comments as weakness and apathy, when in reality it’s his acknowledgment that he didn’t do well, but it’s not the end of the world because in the grand scheme of things, it’s a small happening. In a sense, there’s a degree of humility to that.

• Bo says:

being honest doesnt have to be saying “you suck”.

3. pete says:

“at times Joba seemed a little too comfortable with his spot on the team last year.”

can you find the most important word in that sentence? (hint: it’s “seemed”)

not necessarily disagreeing with you, Mike, but I’m not sure that a guy’s mindset is visible in his on-field demeanor, and I for one believe that, for the most part, the yankees pretty much all operate on “tell the media what they want to hear and always act calm in interviews” MO, so I’m not sure it’s fair to gauge his mindset off of his interviews either. I’m sure Joba was as frustrated as we all were, probably more, by his performance at the end of last year. I’ve been there as a pitcher, when you’re simply not performing at the levels you know you’re capable of performing at, but there’s nothing you can do about it – your stuff feels flat and you can’t seem to control the ball. Sometimes it just happens, and when it does, it’s unbelievably frustrating, and I don’t think I’m anywhere near as competitive a person as Joba is.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

but I’m not sure that a guy’s mindset is visible in his on-field demeanor

I think the question is not whether the mindset is visible (see Zambrano, Carlos), but if it’s helpful, hinders performance or has no effect. It would be cool to see a metric measure how some guys pitch when their “mannerisms” are more apparent. (Though I’m not sure how you’d qualify or quantify these things. Just throwing this out there.)

4. Drew says:

I wonder what his velocity will be like come April. I think he can get it done whether he has the 94-95 or 92-93, it was just perplexing to me last year when it would vary start to start.

5. Drew says:

Speaking of Jober, I just realized he led the league in HBP’s(12). heh

6. The Three Amigos says:

I think Youklis was all 12, as the media would make it seem.

7. SERGIO says:

Mitre will not only make the rotation, but he will lead the Yanks in ERA, Ks, and Wins

8. Jack says:

*fistpumps*

9. Beamish says:

If that five-cent head could be worth a whole dime it might finally match the million-dollar arm…if it becomes worth a quarter he could be a perennial 20 game winner.

10. Nick says:

Joba reminds me of Roger Clemens when he was first coming up. Roger had a couple of years to start his career that were mediocre.Look what happened to him. I think its good Joba is taking it seriously and is going to be ready to begin the season. I think he’ll be fine if he cuts the crap with only throwing 90-93 when he’s starting.

11. Yanksforthemammaries says:

Geez, Salty, a little bit stressed??? Where else you going to find young pitchers with arms that good? They are usually playing for other teams – it’s been years since the Yanks had anything like them. Chill, dude.