Jan

When the Yankees play: inside the 2010 schedule

In the middle of September, Major League Baseball released its preliminary schedule for 2010, and at the time, we had some fun dissecting the Yanks’ slate of 162. With the quirks of the scheduling came our requisite complaints: too many early games against Boston, too many illogical road trips and too many away games in April. On the other hand, the Yanks do get to play the Astros and Diamondbacks while the Red Sox face the Giants and Rockies, but I digress.

Today, baseball unveiled the preliminary start times for the 2010 season, and the Yanks’ official schedule has been updated as such. The schedule is available for download and personal calendar integration in numerous forms right here. The option to add the Yanks’ schedule to Google Calendar option is fantastic for those of whose lives are on Google, and the Outlook/iCal integration is an added perk this year.

Although the broadcast schedules have yet to be announced, we can glean some information from the start times. As we know, the Yanks and Red Sox will square off on Sunday night at 8 p.m. On average, the temperature in Boston on April 4 at 8 p.m. is in the low 40s. Ninja Cano will make his return. The next two games of the season, also in Boston, are night affairs, but the Yanks’ first two games at hand on Tuesday, April 13 and Wednesday, April 14 are both at 1:05 p.m.

In May, the Yanks will be the ESPN team of the month. With a weekend series from May 7-9 and a trip to Citi Field two weekends later, ESPN will broadcast both of the Sunday night games from those series, and FOX will probably take the May 8th game with a TBD start time.

The June TV highlights will be the Yankees/Joe Torre reunion in Chavez Ravine. Both of the weekend games for the Bombers’ trip to Los Angeles currently feature TBD start times, and I’d put money on a FOX/ESPN weekend special. Considering the media markets and the emotional story lines, those games are primed for a ratings bonanza. The week before that trip west, the Mets come to the Bronx, and both of those games will probably be on national TV as well. May and June will feature a lot of Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan and Jon Miller.

After that, only the remaining series against Boston are bound to be on TV. Otherwise, the Yankees have done a good job avoiding weekend night games. No home game on a Saturday starts later than 4:05 p.m., and although many Saturday road games are at night, I appreciate the Yanks’ efforts in schedule afternoon affairs.

So that’s that. Now, we just have to wait until Opening Day. April 4, 8:05 p.m. Mark your calendars.

Categories : News

1. So, which Saturday day is going to be the long awaited, eagerly anticipated RAB Game Meetup?

LET’S DO THIS SHIT!

2. crapula says:

the minds of RAB never cease to amaze me. you guys cover every single baseball thought in Yankee world. Seriously.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Not by a long shot. I’ve been eagerly anticipating a post regarding Cody Ransom’s rendition of “Dick On a Box.” And yet, I still wait. WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME, RAB?!

I’ve also yet to see a detailed analysis on how the alleged centaurs Alex Rodriguez copulates with have aided his postseason performance. (And for what it’s worth, centaurs are every bit as hittable as Kate Hudson.)

I’m also still trying to figure out why we use new-fangled stats like “RBI” and “WHIP” instead of just wins, losses, saves, hits, HRs.

3. mr yankee says:

Why do the Yankees play Saturday GAMES AT 1pm at hoe? why not 4 or 7pm?

4. JobaWockeeZ says:

12 games against Boston this year? Oh well. At least only half of those games are before the all star break where the Yanks typically do worse.

5. Beamish says:

“May and June will feature a lot of Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan and Jon Miller.”

Kill me now.

6. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

Ok, so I’m not getting YES again this year. I’m thinking iPhone app? who else uses other video outlets to get their NYY fix other than YES?

when is Teh Official RAB Game?!!1!!

7. Andrew says:

who else hates sunday night baseball?

8. Mark in CA says:

Too bad the Saturday 1:00 PM home games are blacked out on MLB Extra Innings. Thanks FOX.

9. MikeD says:

I really hate it when the Yankees are not on YES. Not only do I have to suffer through Buck and company (he makes me long for Joe Morgan), but then there’s no replay on YES. If I miss the game, no catching the replay.

• Eddy says:

When the Yankees play on ESPN or Fox, i pray for a nice easy win, because it usually ends up a classic. Which means no yankees classic.

10. beantownyankees73 says:

When do we think the ring ceremony will be? I would LOVE it if they could do it while the saux are in town , make them watch us get our rings and raise the flag. Like they did to us in 05(?)
    I would put money on it that none of them will stand a clap and have respect as Jeter did for them for their moment. Maybe Im bitter , whatever.

11. Matt says:

I think the best part of the schedule is no West Coast trips after the All-Star break.

12. GVI>>> says:

Thanks for the app to put Schedule URL into Google calendar; but all the times for the games are listed as 333 am– 633 am!! I musta done something wrong…help?!?