Feb

Chien-Ming Wang, former Yankee (UPDATE: Not yet)

Update by Mike (10:08am): Buster Olney and a Nats’ writer shot Pete’s report down. Washington is still very much in pursuit of Wanger, but he’s still a week or so away from making a decision.

8:56am: Once the Yankees declined to tender Chien-Ming Wang a contract in December it was pretty apparent that he would not return to the team. We held out a glimmer of hope, mainly because Wang had pitched so well in 2006 and 2007. It appears he’s about to officially become a former Yankee. PeteAbe tweets that he has chosen the Nationals, and that a deal is near. We wish him luck in his new digs, and hope he picks up a few wins against the Mets this season.

Categories : Asides

1. Nick says:

All the best Wanger. Just take your time coming around 3rd base.

2. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Washington could get a really good pitcher here if Wang recovers. Hopefully, he could turn their franchise around a bit. Wang, Lannan, Marquis, Strasburg, Zimmermann, and whoever else they have could be a scary good rotation if it all works out.

I like this signing for them, good luck Wang!

• Mike Pop says:

Yeah, if Wanger gets back to his old self. that’s a very solid pitcher in the NL.

• Zack says:

Zimmermann is out for the year after TJS late last season. But if Wang is healthy and Marquis doesnt suck they do have a pretty good 1-4.

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Yeah I know about JZ’s Tommy John surgery, and of course the length of Wang’s deal (whoops!) is not yet revealed; however, if they for some reason extend his contract beyond this year, and all those other things workout, the Nats could start turning around.

• Zack says:

IIRC, even if it’s a 1 year deal he still has 1 more year of arbitration, so he’s under control if they want him, or they can non-tender him if he sucks again, or they can move him at the deadline for a team looking for SP help.
          Worst case scenario they spent a few million on ineffective pitcher, not a major risk for them.

• pete says:

i wouldn’t call it scary good, but if wang goes back to form, then 2 years down the road Strasburg/Zimmerman/Wang/Lannan/Marquis would certainly be solid.

3. Steve H says:

So is this unfortunately the official end of Wang jokes?

4. Accent Shallow says:

I’d like to see him in pinstripes again if he’s healthy.

So it goes.

5. Rose says:

This is all just Wang…vewy Wang.

6. JohnC says:

I’d still like to see Yanks take a look at Kiko Calero for the pen.

7. Jeremy says:

Don’t worry. He will rebound with the Nationals and the Yankees will eventually sign him to a six year, $105 million contract.

8. Brian says:

Good luck, Wanger. The Wang should prove to be pretty big in the NL (sorry, I had to make at least one more bad Wang joke), and I’m sure he’ll beat us in an interleague game at some point down the line.

9. Richard Deegan says:

Great move and best to CMW.
    I don’t think Wang will get pulled too early with the Nsts. Wang may only get yanked with a lot of scoring.

10. Zack says:

Soo…. Nationals > Mets?

11. Kiko Jones says:

H?o yùn qì, bìng g?n xiè y? qiè Chien-Ming.

12. Jonathan says:

this reminds me of a few years ago when Wang was pitching and don’t hold me to this but I think up maybe 4 runs maybe 4-0 in the 9th with possibly two outs and he blew the game to the nationals..that was painful.

13. Jake H says:

It’s too bad Wang. You were very good here for 2+ years.

14. Jersey says:

I’ll be PSYCHED to see the Wanger pitching his home games here. Much like I still enjoy seeing T-Clip.

15. Tampa Yankee says:

I guess there is still a chance for us to still hold on to our Wang

16. bobmac says:

No donuts for Pete.

17. Rose says:

Cue Curt Schilling using this false report as ammo in his back-and-forth battle with Pete Abe right now…

18. Cecala says:

Pete Abe has to be the worst. Thank god hes in Boston now…

19. jim says:

He was the Interested Reader….

20. JPR says:

Abe is correct though….Beckett wears down a lot….especially for his age.He is a slow healer. They will resign him and wear him out like they did with Pedro and Dicey K and Shilling.

21. [...] to sign former Yank Chien-Ming Wang, and have a press conference scheduled for later this week. PeteAbe first broke the news last week, but both sides backed off a bit. Either way, it’s done now. We don’t know [...]