Feb

Chien-Ming Wang heads to D.C. (for real this time)

Update (1:29pm): CMW gets one year, $2M guaranteed, plus another $3M in incentives. He’ll be arbitration eligible after the season. Not to shabby.

1:00pm: Via MLBTR, the Nationals have agreeed to sign former Yank Chien-Ming Wang, and have a press conference scheduled for later this week. PeteAbe first broke the news last week, but both sides backed off a bit. Either way, it’s done now. We don’t know what the terms are yet, but reportedly the Yanks wanted the chance to match any offer.

Wang’s tenure in pinstripes ends with a 55-26 record and a 4.16 ERA, though he hasn’t pitched a full season in more than two years. Hopefully he’s healthy, and I wish him luck.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Reality Check says:

I always liked Wang. Good luck to him.

2. bexarama says:

Good luck, CMW. I’ll forever wish that the Astros’ shortstop had made that play to get the third out of the inning so you wouldn’t have had to run home… :(

3. This is great news. There’s been a real lack of Wang in DC since the end of the Clinton Administration.

4. Mike HC says:

Definitely wish him well. I think he will figure it out. He might not ever be as good as when he first broke in, but he should be an above average major league innings eater for some team out there. If not this year, then maybe a couple of years down the line.

5. Eddy says:

I thought the Yankees were going to match any offer a team makes?

6. ADam says:

The Wanger Adds a third Major League Ready starter to the Nats Rotation… pretty sure that’s one more than the Mets….

7. larryf says:

Chinatown not too far away from stadium. Sealed the deal…

8. Ryan says:

Still would rather have Wang than that turd Sergio Mitre.

9. KK says:

This deal doesn’t sound like it’s particularly better than what the Yankees were offering, does it? I mean, at the start of the offseason, I believe they floated an incentive laden contract, too.

I hope it’s not just pride that got him away from the Yankees. Anyways, is it really a smart idea for him to be in the National League? His baserunning prowess isn’t exactly spectacular…

• AndrewYF says:

It’s a smart idea because the National League sucks, and it’s a great way to boost your perceivable value. Just look at the highway robbery Joel Pineiro pulled off. Now that he’s back in the AL, no one should be surprised to see him drop right back off that cliff.

10. Bob Stone says:

Good Luck CMW. I will follow you next year in DC.

11. Rob in CT says:

I wish him the best (though it would be annoying if the Yanks end up being wrong about him).

12. Frank says:

Good luck CMW! Just not healthy.