Feb

In which an owner talks about something he doesn’t understand

The Yankees catch a lot of grief because of their payroll, and whether you think it’s fair or not is another discussion for another day. Most of those outside of the Tri-State Area will bitch and moan every time the Yankees sign a CC Sabathia or a Mark Teixeira, yet won’t give an iota of credit whenever the team makes a shrewd move like grabbing Nick Swisher as an ultra-buy low or finding a big league arm (Al Aceves) and a top pitching prospect (Manny Banuelos) in Mexico for the the total cost of a replacement level player ($400,000). It’s the way it is, and most don’t think twice when fans of other clubs complain.

However, when team owners start to run their mouth, especially when they aren’t even in the same sport, well then something’s not right. At a press conference yesterday, Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti took an unprovoked shot at GM Brian Cashman and our beloved Bombers

“It certainly doesn’t show up in the standings,” Bisciotti said. “If I’m a Yankees fan, I’m upset we’re not winning 130 games with the roster that they have and the money that they pay out. I think it’s a disgrace they only beat the average team by 10 games in the standings with three times the money. I’d fire that GM. You don’t need a GM. All you have to do is buy the last Cy Young Award winner every year.”

Dare I say … Boversimplification?

I’m sure Mr. Bisciotti is a smart dude, you kind of have to be to make the kind of money needed to buy an NFL franchise. However, what the hell is he talking about that it doesn’t “show up in the standings?” The Yankees have won almost 100 more games than any other team in baseball over the last 14 years. They could have gone 0-162 in 1996, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, or 2008, and they still would have the best record in the game over that time. They’ve won the most World Championships in the last two decades, the most division titles, most pennants … how doesn’t it show up in the standings?

Anyway, thanks for the laugh Steve.

Categories : Rants

1. Will says:

I think Bisciotti should be more concerned about his league’s looming labor war instead of fretting about the most successful sports franchise in the United States.

• Rich says:

Anyone who employs Thug Ray Lewis has some nerve saying what he did. Don’t see the Ravens at the dance this weekend do ya?

When I think of dominant team in professional sports I think of?

A) The Baltimore Ravens
      B) The New York Yankees

***LOL No brainer

Sounds like he’s hatin’ on the fact his team isn’t even the dominant team in the NFL.

What is better?
      A) To play within the rules of your game, excel and spend monies on fielding the best product you can?
      B) To take a common THUG and make him the “face” of your franchise?

Time to shut it Biscuit-Boy!
      The winner of the Kentucky Derby by a nose is still the winner of the Kentucky Derby!

2. Arman Tamzarian says:

I might be wrong, because I don’t understand NFL contracts, but it seems a team can jettison a player anytime that player is deemed to be producing at less than 100 percent of their capacity. Teams often have dead weight on their rosters in baseball becuase of guaranteed contracts, you don’t have to worry about that in football. I would love to see what the Washington Redskins would look like with guaranteed deals.

• The Three Amigos says:

In reality, you can dump a player whenever you want, however in actuality you can’t, because of salary cap implications of eating 20 million contract in one year, because of prorated guaranteed money.

3. Zack says:

At times like this I miss The Boss, you know he’d have a great quote right now.

4. Rose says:

I give the guy credit for turning a staffing company in his basement into the 6th largest privately held staffing firm in the world…but just because he went to a couple of football games with his father back in the day…doesn’t necessarily mean he know’s a lot about sports…let alone the inside and outs. Some owners are more engaged and others just use their management team for exactly what they are…

By the way, Go Cleveland Browns!

• random fact: i do not root for a football team but i predicted the giants to barely make it to 8-8 if at all and for dallas to win the division in preseason and my giants fan friend laughed at me and said theyd go 10-6 or 11-5.

needless to say i have given him tons of grief and his response is “it means nothing coming from you because you don’t have a team so i can’t fight back”

so, in that moment i decided i am now a cleveland browns fan.

go browns.

• Rose says:

Browns have had it rough. Modell moved them to Baltimore to the dismay of quite a lot of fans…and the year they reinstated the Browns in Cleveland…the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl in their faces lol. Needless to say, Browns fans HATE both Modell and the Baltimore Ravens…

• Rick in Boston says:

As a Browns fan, I tend to go Modell >>>>>>>> Ravens.

They have a Brown as their GM (Ozzie Newsome) and until last year still had a former Brown on their roster (Matt Stover). There’s a whole host of issues behind the hatred of Modell, but even back in the 60′s he made moves that pissed off the fan base.

• Rick in Boston says:

And Rose: no, the Ravens won the Super Bowl after the 2000 season (2001 vs. the G-Men). The Browns were reinstated for the 1999 season after having the shortest lead time from ownership decision to kick off. The NFL f’ed the Browns.

/nitpicking

• You should come to the draft with me and join the Browns fans. They’re hilarious. Every single one is also an irrational Buckeyes fan who thinks each O-Stater is a surefire star.

When Cleveland took Brian Robiskie they JITP’d.

• JFH says:

Rose are you an ex ‘tek employee too?

5. Matt says:

Instead of critizing, maybe he could learn a thing or two from Cashman about how a championship team is built.

6. bexarama says:

It’s like he doesn’t get that baseball works differently than football. 130 games? Yeah, I’m upset the Yankees aren’t winning 130 games, only because I think they should win all 162 ;), but winning 110 games in this sport is an absolutely ridiculously awesome accomplishment.

7. Chip says:

You know what they say, people in glass houses sink ships

8. Bo says:

No better sport to own a team in than the NFL. Great tv contract, short season, cost certainty, terrible players union, state funded stadiums, non guaranteed contracts for the players, public always siding with management and the best part. You can always threaten to go to LA and get even better deals.

9. Eddie says:

If its so easy to win, with the uncapped year coming up this year in the NFL, why doesn’t he try and “buy” his way to 14 wins next year and a SuperBowl win??

@eddieperez23

10. Riddering says:

“If I’m a Yankees fan, I’m upset we’re not winning 130 games with the roster that they have and the money that they pay out.”

Someone doesn’t understand how baseball works. Stick to football, Bisciotti.

• ColoYank says:

Thank you, R.

I think G. Steinbrenner’s football background was showing when he’d get all publicly cranky about not winning more. I think he expected to play .750 or .800 ball. Never mind that no MLB team has done anything like that in the modern era.

11. steve s says:

Aptly named article that the story came from (The Schmuck Stops Here). I guess when the own a capetbagger franchise full of thugs being a schmuck comes easy.

12. pat says:

All you have to do is buy the last Cy Young Award winner every year.”

Riiiiiiiiight.

13. Dan says:

FYI, he said it light-heartedly….but still, it was an unnecessary shot at Cash to say “i’d fire him”, joking or not.

14. The goal isn’t to win 130 games in the regular season, at least not around these parts. The goal is to win 11 in the playoffs. If Bisciotti is going to talk trash about the Yankees not getting bang for their buck, then maybe he should look in a mirror first. The team he owns has missed the playoffs more times in the last five years than the Yankees have in the last 16. Something about throwing stones in glass houses seems appropriate here. Anyway, thanks for the laugh Steve.

We kill you motherfuckin ants with a sledgehammer.

15. Steve H says:

Have the Yankees ever signed a pitcher who won the previous Cy Young?

16. donger says:

Hrm… cost per win is “interesting”. Cost per playoff appearance or per playoff win is a bit more Yankees speed tho. I’d rather be an inefficient winner than an efficient loser. Wouldn’t mind being the 378th richest American either.

17. I’d rather spend $200+ million and win a championship than spend $109+ million and fail.

18. ADam says:

Didn’t Steve Biscotti give Elvis Grback (SP) like 57 Million Dollars to be his quarterback and then release his Superbowl winning QB??? Right I thought so….

19. Rick in Boston says:

I just had to look it up – Bisciotti was not the majority owner in 2000 when the Ravens won the Super Bowl; Modell still was. Steve-o here didn’t own the team outright until 2004. So, under his ownership, the Ravens have gone to the playoffs three times, winning a total of three games.

20. pete c. says:

I remember when I read the Bronx Zoo, Sparky Lyle used to talk about G.S. using football metaphors and acting like MLB was the same as the NFL. Eventually George figured out that both sports don’t really have much in common. I’m waiting for this nimrod to figure that out too.

21. Will says:

Here’s something else worth mention. The salary floor in the NFL is a myth. Murray Brown had a post last year about the Bucs inflating their salary floor by giving silly incentives to players (I think it was like multi-million dollar bonuses for blocking 6 kicks). Because incentives actually count against the floor, it looks like the Bucs are meeting the threshold when in reality they aren’t.

Similarly, I read another article in a Buffalo newspaper that stated there was a significant gap between long-term money guaranteed by the high end clubs versus teams like the Bills. In other words, in real dollars (not NFL dollars), there was payroll disparity in the NFL.

For some reason, the public laps up the NFL’s hype (steroids in the NFL…never!). I guess it’s because so many of the sports’ fans are casual (i.e., gamblers), so they aren’t really interested in the details.

• ColoYank says:

It’s clear to me that the NFL is held to nowhere near the standard that Major League Baseball is, by either the fans or the news media. I guess that can be a good thing, given that I care about baseball, but generally abhor football.

• Will says:

I think it’s a great thing because it shows that the passion for baseball is deep and inherent to the game. For example, in my circle, when we discuss baseball, we talk about our teams performance, but when we discuss football it’s mostly about which fantasy players to start or whom to pick in the office pool.

22. VTYankeesFan says:

“If Bisciotti is going to talk trash about the Yankees not getting bang for their buck, then maybe he should look in a mirror first. The team he owns has missed the playoffs more times in the last five years than the Yankees have in the last 16. ”

The thing that I find amazing about that is that, not only is the Ravens frequency of missing the playoffs much higher than the Yankees, but they play in a sport where half the teams are included in the postseason! Their odds of being invited to the party are much higher, yet their success rate is lower. And he thinks that Cashman isn’t doing his job well????

23. Steve H says:

Even the Boston writers get it on this one.

There are assorted things wrong with that statement, starting with not really understanding baseball and the relative impossibility of winning 130 games even with a $300 million payroll. You also can’t actually buy the Cy Young Award winner every year. You also need a GM to send guys to Scranton once in a while, stuff like that.

• bexarama says:

even PETE ABE gets it on this one

Though saying he can “drink for free” in Boston (or “Bosto” until he catches that typo) because he called for the Yankees to reduce their payroll… welllll…

24. dkidd says:

why don’t you sit this next one out, steve? stop talking for a while

reminds me of the padres owner who screwed his own gm by saying they’d have to trade adrian gonzalez

25. Reality Check says:

Editing Editing Editing:

BUY not BY a NFL team.

COME ON!!!

26. Upstate says:

“If I’m a Yankees fan, I’m upset we’re not winning 130 games”

If I’m a Ravens fan I’d be upset about my GM having enough time to make stupid comments like this because we got a beat down in the playoffs.

27. exile says:

I’m wondering what he thought would be the highest team salary in the nfl if it wasn’t for the salary cap? Just a wild guess but probably more than the Yankee’s salary. The two sports just aren’t comparable by team construction standards.

28. pete says:

sometimes i wonder if yankees fans are the dumbest in the world (per avg, not per all). Then things like this happen. Thank you, Mr Biscotti (intentional sic), for restoring my sense of superiority.

29. Juke Early says:

Well, if the guy was just kidding, maybe he only needs to wake up from the dream of becoming a stand up comedian, and not quit his lucrative day gig just yet.

However, I am submitting the word “bisciotti” to the Italia Urbano Dictionari ( IUD ;-). It means – guy dumb enough to someday buy the Red Sox.

Mostly I take exception to any moron who uses the word “buy.” You can buy hot dogs at the game, buy bats & balls, you can buy a franchise. If what is inferred by this usage is that the player is only in it for the money, while it may be so, I doubt anybody can prove it, unless the individual says so. Like anyone else in a job, the player makes an agreement or contract to be employed by that entity to work for wages.

You can’t legally “buy” anybody in the US, since Mr. Lincoln freed the slaves.