Feb

Open Thread: An RAB meme dictionary

We get lots of requests from our readers, but perhaps none more than people asking for some sort of RAB meme dictionary. In close to three years of existence, RAB and it’s comments have sort of taken on a mind of their own, and someone new to the site or venturing into the comment section for the first time is probably a bit intimidated by the amount of jargon and inside jokes being thrown around.

So yes, I’m finally going to create a meme dictionary. Don’t worry, I’ll give it a cooler title, but that’s something to worry about later. What I’m looking for from you guys is a little help putting this thing together. Specifically, I’m looking for a) the meme, b) what it means, and c) the origin with a link (if possible). For example:

IETC: “I enjoyed this comment.” Possible variations include, but are not limited to IETCVM (I enjoyed this comment very much), IETT (I enjoyed this tweet), and IETOMQ (I enjoyed this obscure movie quote).

TWSS: “That’s what she said.” Same as the dirty old man joke.

So, leave whatever you have in the comments, and I’ll compile it all and post it in the near future. Trust me, it’s more work than you may think, so thank you in advance for your help.

Otherwise, use this as your open thread for the evening. The Rangers and Isles are playing (not each other), and Venezuela is taking on the Dominican Republic in the Caribbean Series, which you can see on MLB Network. No Yankees or Yankee farmhands are playing, but hey, it’s baseball. Enjoy the thread.

1. Drew says:

I’ve never edited a Wiki but wouldn’t that be the easiest way to do this? Just create a RAB Wiki page with a Meme Dictionary on it. This way you guys won’t have to shoulder the load.

2. JobaWockeeZ says:

Well there’s TCWA too. (That comment was awesome)

3. So I hear Kovalchuk might get dealt tonight…

4. Evilest Empire says:

I’d like to know what the hell the microwave in the burrito stuff that TSJC is always talking about means. I have a good idea from the context he puts it in but I still kind of scratch my head over it.

• Tom Zig says:

I can’t find the thread, but he explained it in full one time.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

If he says WHY THE FUCK IS MY BURRITO TAKING THIS LONG TO COOK IN THIS MICROWAVE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

That’s a mock to someone whose comment says something with impatience.

Person A: Dude why the fuck isn’t johnny damon signing yet.
      TJSC: WHY THE FUCK IS MY BURRITO TAKING THIS LONG TO COOK IN THIS MICROWAVE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

5. JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

It’s funny how many inside jokes, memes and other nonsense is on here. And yet, I’m struggling to remember many.

There’s of course the Smoak-type bat, extreme RS pitching depth, Clay stealing laptops, Taco Bellsbury, Pedroia being a cookie-making tree dweller, the general Gammons banter, Sucka got no Juice, our mryankee fake-trade proposals, alexgonzalez, Boversimplification, my unfounded penchant for chubby girls, pat’s general perversion, the Mo as a deity, the Holy Trinity with Jesus and Melvin, Cashman is ninja, mediots…

6. JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

You guys remember the name of that guy who wrote a SUPER CRAZY article shitting on Cashman and the Yankees? For the life of me, I cannot remember.

7. Jose says:

I’ll always miss some of my classics:

-”that was a different era”
    -Pitcher rallying ability
    -Only wins are important
    -Not knowing what arbitrary meant

8. Drew says:

Hmm.. Looks like the Twinkies have a pretty decent offense this year. I hope they bring their ice skates to Target Field.

9. Tom Zig says:

Does anyone else find it kind of funny that Keith Law asked Jim Caple if he was writing the “Runs are the most important stat” piece as a parody?

10. JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

The fallacy of the predetermined outcome Michael Kay pun.

• Tom Zig says:

John Flaherty’s Toupee

• JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

Paul O’Neil’s eating habits.

Suzyn Waaaaaaldman crying. (Funny side note: this is what comes up pretty high on GIS for Suzyn—http://www.sternfannetwork.com/media/NicoleBass/images/JanTana9sm.jpg)

11. ROBTEN says:

Oaktag — Origin by jsbrendog?: “btw from now on i think that will be how i respond to ppl with their doomsday/uninformed/ignorant/stupid/obnoxious comments.”

Bangwagon — Origin by Mattingly’s Love Child?: “So you’re off the Swisher bangwagon?”

12. Jose says:

Nails Krzyzewski. Pretty much only tsjc uses it, but he uses it quite a bit instead of Alex Rodriguez.

13. JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

Two words: Halos Heaven

All kinds of lulz there.

14. There should be something explaining the /____’d references.

• Marcus says:

That is an internet thing, based on html code. As in [strike]this sentence is struck out[/strike]. But if you use the right (greater than, less than) symbols, it doesn’t show up in a comment. I think it started out as a way to clearly show sarcasm (i.e., “That comment was a valuable addition to the discussion. /sarcasm”).

I think the ‘d was added here at RAB. Not sure about that.

15. ROBTEN says:

Phil Hughes is not Chinese — Origin by TSJC:

“Phil ended last season with that good start in September (after we were eliminated), and instead of people being happy about it, they were harping on the fact that he doesn’t throw 95 MPH. It snowballed from there. It’s basically the phenomenon that no matter how much good stuff Phil does, some people will never be satisfied with him, because he’s not this or that or the other.

Hence, Phil Hughes’ problem is that he’s not Chinese.”

Explanation:

Origin:

16. Steve H says:

For Diamond Cutters, I’m Peter Gammons.

17. Steve H says:

Source: The Internet

18. JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

Download the newest Fatcesa and the Diet Cokes ft. Your Buddy Sitting Next to You and Jason Hirsch with their new hit single, “You Tryin’ to Pull a Fast One?” and “Never Heard of ‘em!”

Album drops next week. It’s HOTTTTTT!

19. pat says:

Gammons most definitely has a bias towards Boston, but the origins of the “Smoak type bat” is a little muddled. He never really said what we all think he said.

And that’s about it. Oh, Brad Penny would probably be the best starting pitcher out there, but unless someone comes up with a Justin Smoak, Matt LaPorta or Brett Wallace — which isn’t going to happen — they are going to hold onto Penny,< who is two years removed from finishing third in the NL Cy Young race.

Yeah it’s a little wack that he even associates Smoak with Brad Penny, but he isn’t as insane as we make him out to be.

20. Drew says:

So I posed this question about a month ago and I obviously forget the results.

What will be the biggest story in ST when players begin to report?

-Who’s starting in LF?

-Huba to teh 5th starter?

-C-Grand; New New York Yankee Centerfielder.

-Something still unforeseen?

-Bridge to Mowhere?

I guess the easy pick is Huba.

• Steve H says:

Unfortunately I think you’re right.

They do not need a plan for Joba Chamberlin. To go all Francesca on everyone, “Joba Chamberlin is a starting pitcher!”

Unless, somehow, Hughes beats out Chamberlin for the 5th spot, the Yankees only need to come up with a plan for Hughes. Joba has no restrictions, limits, or rules. If he wins the 5th spot, which he has the inside track on, he should be treated like every other starter (to a point obviously, don’t want CC-like pitch counts).

21. pat says:

NBC tonight, BOOYA.

I love Allison Brie.

22. bexarama says:

ANDY PETTITTE IS A STAHTING PITCHAH!!!

23. That Samiam piece needs to be deconstructed line by line:

2003:
    · Inexplicably trades for Kevin Brown with his ridiculous contract.

….for? Jeff Weaver, who was equally bad for us. Headache for headache. And if we look at this at the time of the deal, not after the fact, Brown was coming off a good season.

· Trades blue-chips Nick Johnson and Juan Rivera for Javy Vazquez. He choose Vazquez over Curt Schilling, who the Bosox acquired for Casey Fossum. This costs us the ‘04 series and was the reason the curse was reversed.

No, Schilling was all but ours. Then Theo made a holiday trip to Schillings house, spent the entire weekend there, and after Curt told him ‘No’ over and over again, he finally gave in. Cash chose Schilling, Theo just pulled something totally unexpected.

· Signed Gary Sheffield over Vladimir Guerrero.

George deal, not a Cash deal. Gary went directly to George in Tampa and had a deal signed shortly thereafter. Anyone who follows the team knows that. That was the height of the NY-Tampa split.

2004:
    · Signs Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright to monster deals, which made zero sense at the time.

And you wanted….? They were two of the best available FA’s that off season. Theo wanted Pavano more than we did.

2005:
    · Trades a Vazquez-based package for Randy Johnson along with his contract.

Again, George deal. George had a thing for Randy that went back 10 years.

2006:
    · Preferred Johnny Damon over Carlos Beltran, who offered the Yankees a discount, then signs Kei Igawa without even scouting him.

Damon was a good Yankee, and this looks even worse with Beltran’s chronic knee problems.

2007:
    · Re-signs A-Rod, who had just finished crippling the Yankees in the playoffs, and gives him another HUGE contract.

Hank and Hal deal. Cash opposed the length and AAV.

2008:
    · Doesn’t trade for Johan Santana or Miguel Cabrera when he certainly had the chips in hand.
    · A season later, signs CC Sabathia to substitute for Santana, so he’d rather CC and Mark Teixeira than Johan and Miguel? Insanity!

Right, because giving up talent in trades is far preferable to signing Free agents for nothing but cash and draft picks.

· Signs A.J. Burnett to the most head scratching contract of all time. How could you give him all that money for all those years?

On top of all this, His drafts have been putrid. Aside for Joba, which one of his draftees impacted the majors?

First, it takes a few years for draft picks to impact the MLB club, and he only was in control of Basevball OPs since the 06 draft. That being said, Dave Robertson, Phil Hughes, Brett Gardner, Francisco Cervelli, Alfredo Aceves, Phil Coke, among others with Montero in the pipeline. Draftees IPK and Coke were used to acquire Curtis Granderson, draftees Melky Cabrera and Arodys Vizcaino were used to reacquire Vasquez.

• Steve H says:

The funny thing, on several of these deals, is Theo wanted the same damn thing.

Theo preferred Vasquez to Schilling, but didn’t meet the Expos demands and moved on.

Theo reportedly offered Pavano more money (500k) than the Yankees did.

And Theo went crazy when the Yankees swooped in and got Contreras.

Yet Theo is the wonderboy, Cash is the guy with the deep pockets.

• bexarama says:

Didn’t the Red Sox want Vazquez over Schilling, too? It makes sense. When you’re going for two stud NL pitchers, you should probably pick the younger guy.

Also, the Diamondbacks asked for the world from the Yankees for Schilling, because they were still pissed that Wells had basically agreed to go to them in I think 2002, but then ended up going to the Yankees. I think they wanted Nick Johnson + Soriano (pre- A-Rod), and Cashman understandably said no way. Then they gave him to the Sox for like a bucket of balls.

“so he’d rather CC and Mark Teixeira than Johan and Miguel? Insanity!”
      Johan vs. CC is tough, but yeah, I’d rather have Tex than Miggy. Add in the fact that Johan and Miggy cost prospects, plus the Miggy thing would have burdened us with the D-Train as well, and it’s a no-brainer.

“2007:
      · Re-signs A-Rod, who had just finished crippling the Yankees in the playoffs”
      That contract is totally ridiculous. But, 2007 playoff stats!:
      Chien-Ming Wang
      5.2 IP, 14 R, 12 ER, 19.06 ERA, 4 BB, 2 K, 3.176 ERA
      Derek Jeter: .176/.176/.176/.353
      Jorge Posada: .133/.235/.200/.435
      Alex Rodriguez: .267/.353/.467/.820
      Now, that’s not CRAZY GOOD or anything. That’s not good enough to pretty much single-handedly put the offense on his back like he did in the 2004 ALDS and the early part of the ALCS, and this year’s ALDS and ALCS. But him, Cano, and Damon were like the only guys that bothered to show up that series.

And AJ’s contract is hardly the WORST EVER. Not a great contract, yeah. But not worse than, I dunno, BJ Ryan, Barry Zito, Vernon Wells, Kei Igawa…

• AJ earned his money last year. We’re not paying him to be a #1.

• DP says:

Not to mention, we may not have even had the prospects to get Johan AND Miggy.

• DP says:

Alfonso Soriano, Darren Dreifort, Mike Hampton, Denny Neagle, Chan Ho Park, Gary Matthews Jr., Carlos Silva, etc etc.

• . . and/or we simply may not have been a match with those teams. Just because you want a player doesn’t mean you have the best package of player or best fit.

• bexarama says:

Also, for some reason, the concluding line, “Bottom line, He’s not that good.” never fails to make me giggle. It’s like he went on a shooting spree then was like, “Eh, I dunno, I was kind of annoyed.”

• bexarama says:

CMW had a 3.176 WHIP, not ERA, during the 2007 playoffs. If I’m gonna go look it up I might as well get it right. Durrr.

I wish we’d gotten Beltran, especially with the discount he was willing to give the Yankees, but honestly, we needed pitching more than offense after the 2004 debacle, so Johnson wasn’t an awful move. He was quite good in 2005. And the author of this article seemed to miss that Beltran was a FA in 2005 and Damon in 2006, so it’s not like we chose Damon over Beltran.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I thought the Schilling deal by Theo was a Cashmoney fail. He just kind of assumed he’d be getting Schilling, and didn’t really put any work into trying to bring him to NY. Yeah it was a spectacular (let’s be honest here) recruiting job by Theo but you can’t just assume the guy is yours before he’s actually signed. You gotta be more alert than that.

Otherwise, I agree 100% with this list.

24. Thomas says:

2 of my favorites:

1. I post more or less for the intelligent fans. Probably less.

2. You can make lemonade with lemons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpSzvc-raGg (safe)

25. GG2000 says:

Pasta Diving Jeter
    Melvin Croussett

• One thing, Bisciotti was clearly kidding when hemade those comments, and everyone ran with them as if they were dead serious.

They weren’t serious, he was joking. We really run the risk of looking like a bunch of Yentas (sp?) as sports fans if we take comments intended to be humorous so seriously.

• bexarama says:

“That’s kind of an unsophisticated point of view.”

Durrrrr

26. A.D. says:

Some Meme’s:

“I pretty much post for the intelligent fans”
    “Okatag”
    “/ “fill in name here”
    “www.google.com”

“IETC”: I remember this starting, oldest I could find (though clearly references it to it being used earlier)is below:

Originally was used as a way for a poster to signify enjoyment of another poster’s comment when they didn’t have anything else to add.

“Signing things 27 (now 28)”

27. http://web.sny.tv/media/video......id=7152401

Joba sporting a goatee, he’s clearly going to have a monster season as a result.

28. Cecala says:

This Ranger game is Amazing!!!

29. pete says:

I motion to keep IPK + Melky as the presumptive trade proposal.

30. http://www.google.com/hostedne.....a8DxrjjLwA

This is a really interesting take, one I’m sure few anticipated when the Feds decided to bail out 2 the big 3 US car makers. The Fes have an ENORMOUS conflict of interests in both owning and regulating an industry. Not saying there’s anything conspiratorial here, but the perception (which is what politics is all about) looks utterly horrendous. The type of thing that becomes a running joke in short order, and things like that can define presidencies in the minds of the public in hindsight.

• Steve H says:

We discussed this at work the other day (I’m in the industry), there is no way the Feds can handle this without these questions being raised. And a better question is, how would it be handled if it were GM or Chrysler vehicles? I’d be willing to bet it would not be getting nearly this much attention, it would probably be handled like every other recall.

• When all of the bailout stuff was going down, the Feds had a series of options and chose partial ownership as a way of taking pressure off GM and Chrysler from their creditors. They didn’t have to do it that way.

The resulting PR was horrible, many people (myself included) don’t want to buy a car from a Corporate Welfare recipient. Now this happens, which has really hurt Toyota’s sales in recent weeks. To top it all off, the Toyota cars made in Japan didn’t have the accelerator problem, only ones made in US factories. It couldn’t possibly look any worse.

• Steve H says:

It’s funny, GM is quietly giving Toyota customers $1000 off a new car if they trade in their Toyota but aren’t going out of their way to do anti-Toyota advertising. I have no doubt that Toyota will recover, and I think quite quickly. I think the American car companies are smart (so far) not to attack Toyota. Worse companies have been through worse turmoil and came out of it. I just wish I was in the market for a new car, I’d be heading to a Toyota dealer in about a week or two. I’m sure they’ll be running some deals.

• Smart man, buy while everyone else is panicking. I wished I had the cash for one of those Battery Park apartments after the whole 9/11 disaster. People were selling them at 1/2 price and less. Now, they’re worth double and triple.

It’s like when that silly e-coli thing happened at Taco Bell a few years back, I ate there almost every night. No lines, not a soul in the place except for a few bored-looking employees. I was like Trump walking in that place, I had an entire restaurant cooking just for me. I was hoping somebody would put some e-coli over at Arby’s as well, then I would have really been set.

• JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

Yup. Mom just bought a new Toyota and got like, $10,000 off MSRP. No one is thinking about purchasing one. Best deal in town.

31. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I know it’s not a real meme yet, but I have high hopes for this one:

“Scranton until the Stretch”

Origin(s) and Explanation: http://riveraveblues.com/2010/.....ent-766278

• ROBTEN says:

To reach meme status, I think that it will have to be used not only in relation to the Hughes/Joba to Scranton debate, but to support any principle of sound player development that shows the ability to reconcile in one’s mind the relationship between short-term and long-term goals. For instance, if the Yankees happen to lose a close game in April and there is an immediate call to promote Montero from Scranton…

/”Scranton until the stretch”‘d

But, now that I’ve explained it, it might never work.

32. crapmaster general says:

I never post here, but I’m on here a ridiculous amount. that being said as a guy from the outside looking in, I think if you’re going to do a meme glossary, you could go one further and have a series of “trading cards” featuring the all-star posters of RAB. the “stats” on the card backs could then attribute memes to their authors, and other such highlights. and then some posters could be Rated Rookies, others could be All-Star Rookies, even others could be Future Stars and maybe one or two could just be Rance Mulliniks or Candy Maldonado.

thank you.

33. Will (the other one) says:

So does Lanny get his own entry?

34. bexarama says:

The Office is just not really good any more :(

• Drew says:

Definitely a bummer. Jim isn’t funny, Pam isn’t funny, I don;t know what happened. I still think there is hope with Ed Helms, he’s a funny dude.

• Mike Axisa says:

Same with Dwight, he’s not nearly as funny or as prominent as before. WTF?

• bexarama says:

Ed Helms is pretty much why I still watch it. He’s amazing.

• Season Four started the decline, IMO.

• Mike Axisa says:

It went down the tube after Jim and Pam got together, after the job interviews in NY when the fired Jan. The Jim-Pam awkwardness was the key ingredient to the show, with Dwight and Michael’s stupidity keeping it fresh and lively.

• Honestly, it would’ve been near-perfect if they ended the series after Jim interrupted Pam’s talking head at the end of that episode saying “It’s a date.”

• bexarama says:

I love Jim and Pam, but I pretty much agree. Though, I thought the strike-shortened season and last season were fine. I just can’t pay attention this season. They’ve really run out of places to take the show. It doesn’t suck, but it’s not what it was.

• ROBTEN says:

There was an interesting article a few weeks ago about the decline of The Office –I am trying to find it, but can’t seem to locate it–so I’ll summarize:

It argued that the popularity of the The Office initially was due to the fact that it tweaked the status of white-collar work in the United States. That is, it was in the genre of other criticisms of the contemporary workplace like Office Space, Dilbert, etc. People identified with the main characters–especially Jim and Pam–because they thumbed their nose at the corporate structure, even as they were forced to be a part of it.

However, by slowly trying to “humanize” Michael and by turning the central couple into “team-players” who now want to be at work, the writer argued that the show has increasingly taken on the management’s point of view. Instead of laughing at the stupid boss, in many cases we are supposed to laugh at the other workers because they are the incompetent ones. Look at the character of Ryan–he was funny in the beginning because he was a corporate stooge that used empty business lingo, but now that he’s a temp, what was funny about Jim moving his desk to a closet because he was slacking off? Isn’t that what Jim used to do?

• pat says:

Jim was never openly insubordinate, nor did he ever publicly disrespect Michael and undermine his authority by sending emails to everyone in the office. That’s why Ryan was put in the closet.

Jim and Pam definitely sold out though. Pam used to be cute and funny, now she’s like an old lady. She’s always scolding people.

Still hate Angela.

• I didn’t even bother DVRing it tonight. That clip show got me really pissed off. End the show.

• pat says:

True, but Community is getting better and better every week.

35. JackISBACK says:

A TWSS joke from Texts from last night

“So she was really choking, and all he did was keep repeating -thats what she said-”

HAHAHAHAH, I don’t know, its not all that well liked there apparently, but I found it hilarious, and can’t wait till someone is choking in front of me to use it, lol.

36. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

New meme, to be used for a particularly epic, informative, logical, and just generally batshit insane, in a good way, post:

Lobster knife fight: Words cannot express the awesome.

37. http://www.weather.com/outlook.....2010-02-04

You guys all ready for 8-24 inches of snow, depending on how far south of NYC you are?

38. So I drew 5 for the Saints and 9 for the Colts in a Super Bowl pool at work. Not happy about those numbers.

• Steve H says:

Wow, that sucks. Better be rooting for the over, and no FG’s.

49-35 Colts?

That’s your best chance. The only time I ever won on a square was a year I didn’t even know my numbers until Monday morning. So after my Pats won the SB, I got handed $250, pretty sweet.

39. Dave says:

“Thats a jab at jeter”

40. ticktock says:

I need a new hat

what are some cool logos?

41. Drew says:

Ha. Another sick episode of Burn Notice. This show is awesome.

42. bexarama says:

Hey, Freddy Guzman stole home to give the Dominican Republic a lead in the Caribbean Series!

43. Hughesus Christo says:

BREAKING:

Twins sign Orlando Hudson, 1yr 5mil

Twins making it rain lately

44. Sorry I’m late, weebles. This thread should be MINE, and I feel as though I’ve let you all down by missing it.

You’ve listed some of the best ones. Here’s some memes not yet mentioned.

Varitekian
    Ponsnerian
    Hacky McHeadfirstslide
    Pencilnecked little beancounter
    Creepy and effeminate
    Olney thinks he’d be a good fit
    It’s a game of skill, deception, honor and deceit.
    CASHMAN YOU TEH SUX0R!!!!!1!!!11!!!
    Clearly, that’s a shot at Jeter
    Feared Williams
    Mo it is written, Mo it shall be done, Mosanna, Mosanna, Mosanna in the highest
    Asiseno de los suenos
    YOU’RE MY BOY, SCOTTY BRO!!!!
    True Yankee©®™
    :: head explodes ::
    The 4 Rings Club
    The Torreolithic Era
    I’d do that in a cocaine heartbeat.
    That socialist post has further tarnished the already damaged credibility of this website.
    BEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU-
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!
    Ty Cobb stabbed a guy.
    Jejune
    I want to know what Januz thinks about this.
    That Joke
    ———
    Your Head
    C-L-O-W-N
    Austin Jackson is uninspiring
    I saw it with my own eyes.
    Bo: 1
    Strawman: 0
    “Did DaVinci bring in help to paint the Sistene Chapel?
    The terriosts are winning
    Bull in a china shop

45. bexarama says:

You’re my boy, Scotty bro!!!

46. JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

Four letters: DBHOF

Oh, and also—Ronan’d (whenever someone says something anti-Semitic).

47. Big Juan says:

FISTED!

48. keithr says:

sucka got no juice

49. ROBTEN says:

Last one for tonight:

I’m not your … , … ”

As in:

i’m not your bro, buddy

/I’m not your buddy, amigo.

//I’m not your amigo, pally.

///I’m not your pally, guy.

////I’m not your guy, hombre.

/////I’m not your guy, friend.

//////I’m not your friend, muchacho.

50. ecksodia says:

I appreciate this very, very much.

51. Late additions:

The steaks and blowjobs/pussytubing lines from kissingsuzykolber.com
    The collection of beers from Pinstripe Brewery (DFA IPA, Tampa Light Lime, Steinbrenner Weizenbock, etc.)