Feb

Open Thread: Boone calls it a career

Ex-Yankee Aaron Boone called it a career today, retiring at age-36 and a year after having open heart surgery. He’ll join ESPN as a television analyst, and for his sake I hope he does better than Tino Martinez did.

Boone came to the Yankees at the 2003 trade deadline in exchange for prospects Brandon Claussen and Charlie Manning, plus some cash. The aging Robin Ventura was hitting just .251-.355-.392 with a .326 wOBA at the time of the trade, though the in-his-prime Boone didn’t improve on those numbers at all, hitting .254-.302-.418 with a .322 wOBA in pinstripes. By the time the ALCS rolled around, Boone found himself on the bench regularly while Enrique Wilson started at third. Despite all that, he made his mark in pinstripes, and will forever be remembered in Yankee lore for that one special moment.

After Boone tore up his knee in a pickup basketball game during the offseason, the Yankees went ahead and acquired Alex Rodriguez from the Rangers. Boone’s time in pinstripes was brief, but it certainly did not lack impact. I wonder how long it’ll be before we see him at Old Timer’s Day.

* * *

Here’s your open thread for tonight. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing, plus there’s the Olympics. You know what to do, so have it.

Photo Credit: Bill Kostroun, AP

Categories : Open Thread

336 Comments

1. You guys have got to see the Mets team write up in BP 2010…

2. I wonder how long it’ll be before we see him at Old Timer’s Day.

This year. I bet he plays third at the 2010 Old Timer’s Day.

He can come off the bench for Angel Berroa.

3. Thanks for the two memories, Aaron. They won’t soon be forgotten.

• Ana says:

I was 12 years old when the Boone blast took place… I honest to Mo can’t think of a time when I was more purely elated than that moment. Especially since it came on the heels of such a gritty otherworldly performance from Mariano. It was a fantastic moment in my childhood/Yankees history. Just fantastic.

Too bad it didn’t carry over for 4 more wins, though…

• bexarama says:

It’s a good thing you crossed out that “gritty” because Mariano can’t be gritty, he’s Hispanic. Duh.

4. Teix is the Man says:

Lets go CUSE!!!

5. Non-bold prediction: Bobby Valentine and Aaron Boone will look like Albert Einstein and Noam Chomsky when surrounded by the slack-jawed troglodytes that comprises the rest of the BBTN team of “analysts”.

The collective intelligence quotient of the show just doubled.

6. bexarama says:

Also, on a more serious note, I will never, ever, ever forget all the things Fox showed after that home run. All the Yankees on the field, just going crazy. Moose and Zimmer in the locker room, in tears. Bret Boone just grinning in the booth. A bunch of ugly white dudes with gritbeards in the Red Sox dugout looking out at it all. Everyone in the stands singing “New York, New York” over and over and over. And above all, Mariano collapsing on the mound, totally overwhelmed in joy and gratitude.

For once, Fox got it and just sort of shut up and showed the images.

• gc says:

I’m glad you brought that up because I was going to say much the same thing. FOX gets a lot of heat and rightfully so at times, but I thought the Buck call was perfect and then both he and McCarver did what they were supposed to after such a dramatic moment…they let the images speak for them. And they let the moment happen without words almost all the way through Sinatra. Amazing night and amazing moment in Yankees history.

7. Wondering if someone can give me a quick and dirty explanation of park factors… Why would anything other than the size of the field (i.e. distance to outfield fences) really matter? Obviously elevation above sea level and wind patterns play some role, but beyond those things… What makes up the difference in park factors and why do they change, year-to-year?

I’m just wondering because YS3 was number 1 for HRs last year, but middle-to-back of the pack in other metrics. I’m curious why those other metrics would matter as much as, or more than, HRs. I mean, a single through the infield is a single through the infield whether it’s hit in Wrigley or in Fenway, right? Shouldn’t the park factors measuring how easy it is to hit a HR in the different parks be the most important of the park-comparison metrics?

• The first thing that comes to my mind is grass (or turf), particularly infield grass. Some stadiums play with consistently faster IF grass turning more groundballs into hits.

Next would be foul territory. More foul territory = fewer baserunners (due to increased pop-outs).

• Yeah, I realized after I posted that comment that there are a bunch of other factors that are easily identifiable… We can add size/configuration of outfield fences to the list (Green Monster, the obstacle course in Houston, etc.).

I guess I don’t have a problem with park factors… I just always wonder if they’re too much a measurement of the teams/players who happen to play there since the rankings change year–to-year, and in some cases, change a bit too much for it to seem normal to me.

• Single-year park factors are probably like single-year UZR data: too small a sample to be reliable.

There are some parks that consistently supress or increase offense, though, like Safeco and Petco on one end and Coors, Arlington, and Fenway on the other.

• Accent Shallow says:

Well, since park factors are based on a weighting of home/road stats, you will see a bit of an issue, since the average player does tend to hit slightly better at home.

However, I don’t think that would be enough to entirely invalidate a park factor — maybe if all the Yankees had played like Swisher.

• Yeah… I’m totally aware that my skepticism is probably a bit unfounded. I think I just fall into the camp that would only pay attention to long-term park factors, like 10 year averages or something, like TSJC suggested (he didn’t say 10 years or anything, I just mean the long-term vs. short-term thing).

• Accent Shallow says:

Well, for the long term and the short term, you have the one year factor and the three year factor, which are the industry standard, as it may.

Here’s an illuminating discussion at The Book blog, featuring comments from MGL and others:

(MGL does mention 10 year park factors here, which I had never heard used before. Of course, the subject of the comment thread is running an exhaustive analysis)

8. pat says:

Jeff Nelson looks like a dementor.

9. Big Juan says:

Wow is about all you can say after you see this shot.

10. Guest says:

That video just literally gave me chills. One jarring thing: Old Yankee Stadium got loud as soon as the ball left his bat. Very, very loud. Like one of the loudest sounds I have ever heard, loud. What a moment.

Also, I am not sure I have seen a team that happy to win a baseball game ever, World Series included.

• Big Juan says:

My dad actually fainted when this happened. Just fell down. I was only 13, so I was freaking out.

Everything about that home run was surreal.

11. Chip says:

Hilarious, that’s what I call pandering to your base right there. Best part:

1. Josh Beckett, Jon Lester and the newly signed John Lackey are going to perform better (collectively) than Sabathia, Burnett and Pettitte.

2. At 25, Clay Buchholz is about to become a big-time starter in the major leagues.

Those are the only two things that need to happen for for the Red Sox to be the better team this year. Obviously, there isn’t a whole lot of information to back this up or it wouldn’t be a very good column now would it?

• bexarama says:

There are a large number of articles that completely ignore any success at all by Joba and Hughes in the starting rotation, and act like Clay Buchholz is a completely dependable starter. It’s kind of gross.

I posted this in the off-topic thread a little while ago so apologies for the duplicate article, and it’s Gammons so maybe it’s expected, but…:

Among things, he says that nine of Buchholz’s (I cannot spell that) last ten starts were quality starts, which isn’t true.

I do think the Red Sox have the best 1-2-3 but they don’t put the Jim Rice fear into me.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Now I think the Sox have a slight advantage in their rotation. A slight one. But this article was completely insane.

If the statement seems absurd, well, it shouldn’t. The Yankees had only the fifth-best rotation ERA in the AL last year. The Red Sox ranked eighth.

ONLY fifth best? Really? You acknowledge that the Red Sox are worse but of course to the Yankees it’s only fifth best. So what’s the Red Sox? “Eighth but they were not nearly as expensive a the Yankees making them heroes of the game for performing very close on the level of the hated disgusting New York Yankees while not making nearly the same amount.”

So we’re not talking about a huge spread to start, and I believe Boston will outpitch its rival for two principal reasons:

…No proof or facts to back it up. Awesome. Not even an eyes or memory argument.

And guess who too will about to be big time starters? Joba Chamberlain and/or Phil Hughes. But no I’m pretty sure Morosi is a B-Jobber and even if Hughes pitches well he won’t receive any credit from the media at all.

And Buchholz shows that young pitchers struggle when he did earlier in his career but I never saw an article clamoring him for the all mighty, most important role in the 8th inning.

Boston should have a lower team ERA overall this year, in part because of something that has nothing to do with Lackey’s arrival or Buchholz’s development. With Adrian Beltre, Marco Scutaro and Mike Cameron in the everyday lineup, the Red Sox should be a vastly improved defensive team.

ERA is hardly a good way to indicate a better rotation which is what the damn topic is about. Especially when the Red Sox pitcher’s will benefit greatly from their new additions. So honestly I might put that under as “irrelevant.” And I love how no one mentions ever that the Yankees defense went from Mo-awful to average/above average to good in a couple years.

Lackey has yet to throw a meaningful pitch for the Red Sox, but he’s already one of the most proven postseason performers in the room. He won the Angels’ World Series clincher in 2002 and humbled his future Boston teammates over 7 1/3 scoreless innings during the AL Division Series last October.

Faulty human memory and a SSS FTW! Nice.

• bexarama says:

I didn’t read the article because I knew it would be dumb like that, but you know, they humbled him in 2007 and 2008. CHOKER!!!!

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh I forgot this:

Burnett may have answered critics by earning a ring in his first year as a Yankee, but let’s not forget that he led the AL in walks and had a 5.27 postseason ERA. And Pettitte needed extra rest to compensate for shoulder trouble late last season.

It’s called a short sample Morosi; learn what it is. Why you ignore his good regular season ERA I have no idea. Oh wait….that says something good about a Yankee and that’s numbers 1-10 on a sports journalist list of THING NEVER TO SAY IN AN ARTICLE!

Meanwhile, the Yankees’ staff may start looking tired roundabout the middle of August. Maybe sooner.
        Okay that’s bullshit and we all know that. I know he didn’t bother researching that at all.

Terrible Foxsports article. In other news which is breaking for these media guys, the Yankees won the 2009 World Series.

• Sure, I’ll play:

I’ll actually agree with that. CC will easily outpitch whomever is the best Red Sox pitcher named there, but Burnett and Pettitte will probably be slightly worse than the other two Bostoners. The sum of the three is probably slightly tilted in Boston’s favor (assuming that both Beckett and Lackey have no injuries, which is a large assumption).

I’ll agree with that too. Doesn’t mean he’ll be better than Javy Vazquez. Spoiler alert: he won’t be.

So:
      Beckett, Lester, Lackey > CC, AJ, Andy
      Vazquez >>> Buchholz

——————

What Morosi neglected to mention:
      Joba/Gaudin >>>>> Matsuzaka/Wakefield

I’ll take the Yankees rotation, thanks.

12. Tampa Yankee says:

True story (I know everyone says that but it is…), when I saw who was coming up for the Yanks in the 11th, I turn to my buddy and say “How about a little Reds magic?” because of all the come from behind/walk-offs I remember them having as a team that year. The rest is history!

That HR has always struck a cord with me for that reason and I always cheered for Boone no matter where he went after NY. I wish him nothing but the best in his retirement!

13. Bryan says:

Which Yankee is crying on the mound in that video?

14. JSquared says:

That was the best moment in sports that i’ve ever watched live.

15. T-Dubs says:

That game was so awesome for many reasons but one fav. of mine is this story:

I was in college, watching the game in a dorm room with 5-6 friends. One being this girl Ellie who was a huge Yankee fan. My roommate Brian (a YUGE Sox fan) finally flips out on McCarver and yells something like “I f’n hate McCarver. He’s just some old a-hole who’s probably never held a baseball!”

And Ellie in a dead-straight tone says “He was a catcher on the Cardinals for like 20 years.”

Silence befalls the room as Brian is totally embarrassed and then smack!

Game over.

16. J.R. says:

That look on Wakefield’s face is priceless!

17. bexarama says:

Texy has a terrible haircut:
    http://cache.daylife.com/image.....H/x610.jpg (safe)

18. Drew says:

Thought this was pretty funny, Kornheiser and Storm.

19. Maximilian Javier Rodriguez says:

The Nets are going to their 6th game tonight. Bank on it.

/hasBeenSayingThisSinceTheyWonTheir5thGame
    /NetsFan’d

20. JobaWockeeZ says:

So I’m guessing it’s Red Sox Pwn week.

The Red Sox still aren’t going to beat the Yankees’ star power, but in an offseason where the New York lost Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon, and Boston added Lackey and made as many significant changes as any other team, they Red Sox closed the wattage gap to some degree. More practically, though, they now have the top trio of starting pitchers (who is a better No. 3 than Lackey?) and just might have the best defense in baseball.

So many things wrong in one simple paragraph…

• bexarama says:

but but but I thought it was a bad thing to have a team with an All-Star at every position! Or is this one of those things where it’s okay if you’re not the Yankees?

• Let’s sum up:

Yankees departures: Matsui, Damon, Hairston, Hinske, Nady, Melky, and probably Alex Rodriguez (to a shockingly unforseen Madonna murder-suicide)
      Yankees additions: none whatsoever, at all

Red Sox departures: nothing but slumps, injuries, and bad luck
      Red Sox additions: John Lackey (and his impending Cy Young award), Marco Scutaro (and his .390/.520/.670 2010 vital line), Adrian Gonzalez (in a midseason trade for Junichi Tazawa, straight up), and Rogers Hornsby (just trust us, they’ll pull it off somehow)

I think I covered it.

• Saying the Yanks are great is like saying water is wet. He’s just looking for ‘a news story’. News stories, by their nature, are the uncommon, not the common. It’s why Joel Sherman writes such crap from time to time, he’s not reporting on what he thinks is true, but what he thinks would make for a ‘good story’.

(Woah, that sounded WAY too close to defending his stupid article. I take back every word.)

• But if EVERYONE is picking against the Yankees because it’s the uncommon, it becomes the common.

Hence, being smart and just picking based on actual analysis instead of false and contrived narrative would become the uncommon, the unique, and the noteworthy.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

But we all know that’s going to be a fantasy for a while.

• Tell that to the professors who teach Journalism, who all teach the same shit.

• Saying the Yanks are great is like saying water is wet.

A factually accurate, boring story >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a ludicrously batshit insane fabricated sorta-interesting story

The newspaper industry is dying as a whole. The New York Post is dying faster (although, technically, it’s already dead and is only sustained in zombie form as the pet project/propaganda arm of Rupert Murdoch).

• bexarama says:

You forgot Adrian Beltre, who is actually better than Alex Rodriguez and in the conversation with Mike Schmidt as the best third baseman of all time. Between him and Mike Cameron, they will turn every ball hit off a Boston pitcher into an out. Boston’s pitchers don’t strike out a lot of guys so clearly they care about defense, unlike the dumb Yankees.

21. chriskeo says:

Mike, just saw your post on MLBTR about Adam Dunn, not sure if the commentors there picked up on your Boras/Damon joke, so, alas I’ll laugh about it here.

22. Accent Shallow says:

There’s been a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about comparisons of the Yankees/Red Sox top three starters (I’m of the opinion that they’re looking at the wrong top three for the Yankees — at this point in their careers, I’d take Vazquez over Pettitte, but I digress), but one point that I feel has been overlooked is health/age — sure, Beckett is probably going to miss a few starts with blister issues, and Lackey has had elbow trouble the past two springs, but Andy Pettitte is going to be 38 this year, which is by far the oldest of anyone in either group. How much longer will he hold up?

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Andy keep throwing up 105 ERA+s for the next 4-5 years, but it equally wouldn’t surprise me to see him out of the rotation in June in favor of Hughes.

• bexarama says:

I am obsessed with Andy Pettitte, but I agree with this.

Vazquez is the #4 because he’s not clutch and Pettitte is clutch!1!!!

• W.W.J.M.D says:

Do you see him getting hurt or performing poorly?

• Accent Shallow says:

I say out of the six starters most commonly listed (Lester/Beckett/Lackey, Sabathia/Burnett/Pettitte), Andy is by far the most likely to throw up a stinker of a season.

As for injury risk? Beckett’s had his issues, Lackey’s had his issues, Burnett is a wild card, but Andy has had a tired shoulder down the stretch the past two years.

You can’t predict injury easily, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Which is why it’s a good thing the Yankees have Hughes.

• Frankly, though, think of it this way:

Buchholz and Joba are a match. They’re both young starters with a mixture of success and failure, ready to make the leap in 2010. Thus, the comparison should be to the other 4 starters in the rotation:

CC-AJ-Jazzy-Andy v. Beckett-Lester-Lackey-DiceK/Wakefield.

Of those two foursomes, here’s the risk chart of not being able to throw 30+ starts and 200+ innings, in descending order (most injury-prone to least injury-prone):

1. DiceK/Wakefield
      2t. Andy
      2t. Beckett
      2t. Lackey
      5. Burnett
      6. Lester
      7. Vazquez
      8. CC

Is Andy old and thus, and injury risk? Yes. But Lester is the ONLY member of the Sox non-Buchholz rotation who’s not at bare minimum an injury risk equal to Andy.

CC and Jazzy are horses. Burnett is an injury risk but is currently going on 2+ painfree seasons; his injury days may be over for the moment.

Yankees health and depth >>>>>>>>> Sox health and depth

• bexarama says:

I would put Burnett in that group with Andy, Beckett, and Lackey. I know he’s going off 2+ injury-free seasons, but I’m still wary. I feel like Pettitte’s constantly in pain but still pitching, so hmm.

Other than that though, yup.

• Burnett’s overthrowing less, though. There’s a legitimate reason to be bullish on him remaining injury free going forward.

Beckett and Lackey are still currently breaking down and missing time each year. Burnett is not.

• Or, stated differently:

Andy and AJ’s injury risk: theoretical
            Beckett and Lackey’s injury risk: actual

• bexarama says:

I’d still say AJ’s injury risk is actual, based on the past, just because I am super wary. The overthrowing thing is a good point, but maybe Lackey and Beckett stop throwing as hard as they do, too.

Has Beckett missed major time due to injury recently? I know he did with the Marlins and he had back spasms that sidelined him for maybe a start or two in 2009, but his Marlins days were years ago and Wikipedia is unhelpful.

I did find out that he said “I don’t get paid to make those f-ckin’ decisions” on national TV thanks to Wikipedia, though.

• Has Beckett missed major time due to injury recently?

Major time, no. But 2006 was the only year in his professional career that he didn’t miss a single start and took every turn through the rotation, though, IIRC.

OK, thanks.

I didn’t realize he’d only pitched 200 innings three times in his career, though they were in 2006, 2007, and 2009.

• Big Juan says:

Also, I’m not sure to what extent his back is actually screwed up, but spasms don’t generally just stop. It’s a problem that will come and go at anytime, especially with something like pitching, which involves so much extension.

And just in general, bad backs are bad news.

• bexarama says:

Fair, but just to think of at least one example I know of, Pettitte pitched with a bad elbow throughout more or less the entire 1996 season at least. I think pitchers pitch through minor injuries and a lot of pain all the time.

• Big Juan says:

Oh no doubt. I’m just saying (and I’m speaking from experience — I have 2 herniated discs) that back injuries specifically have a tendency to hang around and flare up.

As I said, I have no idea if he just a spell of back spasms or if there is something structurally wrong. I’m just weary of back injuries.

23. Interesting post on FG about Defense Independent Offense:

24. W.W.J.M.D says:

So the demo for MLB 2K10 was released today, and it looks good so far. But what was interesting was the lineup they posted for the Yanks.

DJ
    Grandy
    Tex
    Arod
    NJ
    Posada
    Cano
    Swish
    Gardy

Safe to say I’ll be fixing this to reflect whatever Girardi comes up with but they definetly blew it with NJ hitting 5th.

25. DP says:

I was at that game!

/Best shit ever

26. Jeter gets 4 years/80 mil. You heard it here first.

27. Cecala says:

Ben, what is going on outside of the South Ferry station? It is a huge mess with concrete pillars going up everywhere.

28. Steve H says:

So I just saw the posts about Vince Carter’s crazy shot, as well as the college kids. They don’t top this, especially for in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LvR7yPJ6_U (safe)

29. Curtis Granderson Will Enjoy Yankee Stadium

Bloomberg has a blog to go with their new tools. Good stuff, nothing Earth shattering, but well written and they work in the new tools into their posts.

30. VO says:

A friend of mine insists the only reason Damon didn’t sign with the Yankees is because of Boras. I have tried for days to try and get through his head that it is not true. Am I wrong? To me a lot more went into it.

• It’s Boras’s job to get Johnny offers and give him advice. It’s Johnny’s job to actually say yes or no to the offers. Therefore, the only real reason Johnny Damon didn’t accept the Yankees 2/14 offer is because he said no. He could have told Boras “I want to play for the Yankees and nobody else. Get me as much money as possible, but make sure it’s from the Yankees.” He didn’t.

Johnny’s fault.

That being said, Boras could have genuinely thought that he could play hardball with Cashman and get Johnny a Yankees offer better than 2/14, meaning that it’s Boras’s fault and not Johnny’s because Boras misread the market and blew Johnny’s chance.

Lastly, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Boras kept Johnny on the market (and thus, the Yankees in the LF market) as long as possible to drive up the price on Matt Holliday to the Cardinals. It is a reasonable position for Boras to take, self-interestedly. There’s blowback potential (for screwing his own smaller client for the benefit of a bigger one), but there’s also a good chance of him not being affected by any potential blowback.

• VO says:

“It’s Boras’s job to get Johnny offers and give him advice. It’s Johnny’s job to actually say yes or no to the offers. Therefore, the only real reason Johnny Damon didn’t accept the Yankees 2/14 offer is because he said no.”

My argument exactly.

• It’s not as simple as blaming Boras. I’m sure Johnny lets him do his job, the way you would let a lawyer handle a legal issue for you, figuring he’s the expert and you’re paying him plenty.

But if Johnny didn’t want to go to the highest bidder, Boras wouldn’t be his agent in the first place. That’s where he comes across as delusional and absurd when he makes all those silly quotes.

But we as Yankee fans are the LAST people who should bitch about players leaving us for more $$. We’re usually the ones who are the highest bidder and taking everyone else’s players.

• But we as Yankee fans are the LAST people who should bitch about players leaving us for more $$.

Meh, the people bitching about Damon not playing LF for the 2010 Yankees aren’t bitching about that. They’re bitching about the fact that we’re not always the highest bidder for every single player everywhere, budget and long-term planning be damned.

And they’re bitching because they don’t understand the simple concept that a leftfielder can be replaced by a DH if a DH is also being replaced with a centerfielder.

Still irrational, just in a different way.

31. bexarama says:

OMG guys, A-Rod didn’t offer a comment about the Johnny Damon situation, this means he wanted Damon back and thinks what the Yankees did was wrong!!!

/MSM’d

32. W.W.J.M.D says:

So Knicks fans, have you come back to Earth, along with T-Mac and his 1 and a half knees?

33. I was there for Boone’s HR, sitting upper deck first base line with the perfect view of the flight of the ball.

Grown men who were screaming at each other a few innings earlier were hugging after that ball landed. Forty renditions of New York, New York later and we were all outside – still singing, trying to be like Frank.

I do not think Simon Cowell would have approved.

Anyway, while that Boone-blast sent shockwaves throughout the Stadium that night, it still was not as loud or boisterous as when Tino Martinez hit that game-tying home run against the Diamondbacks in 2001.

After Tino hit that two-run homer, the entire upper deck was actually moving. Being that it was very soon after 9/11, fans in my area were all nervous, but still happy.

Was anybody else at both those classic games and what were your thoughts? How do you feel they compared in regards to emotion and Stadium atmosphere?

34. Ana says:

2/3 of teh outfield:

Be afraid. I mean, I would be.

35. Okay, on the heels of our above discussion of Nick v. Granderson – new stat time:

SCCPA. Scoring Chances created per Plate appearance. Times reached second or third base safely (without the help of others) per time up at the dish.

2B + 3B + (1B+SB) + (BB+SB) + (HBP+SB) – CS
    ——————————————–
    PA

Thoughts?

36. One issue that gets raised a lot with the 2010 Yanks is age, particularly referring to the core four of Pettitte, Posada, Mo and Jeter suffering down years due to age related decline. I think Posada’s the most likely, but the other 3 guys I just don’t see it.

Pettitte-Only number that jumps out is the walk rate, but WHIP stayed consistent. That tells me he’s just a smart veteran who knows how to pick his battles.

Jeter-Even if he doesn’t repeat last year, he still should be fine. Main concern is health, he was banged up in 08 and looked mediocre as a result.

Mo-Velocity was down last year, but even if it declined further he still has enough movement and control to get by. Him losing velocity means he turns into a Joakim Soria-type, who works in the high 80s and is still effective.

37. Cam says:

Random question, did anyone subscribe to MLB.tv last year? I’ve been thinking about signing up for it this year because FiOS doesn’t have Picture-in-Picture so when the wife and I are watching TV, I’d like to put the game on my laptop so I can watch it. However, the information on the site talks about the games being blacked out if you are trying to watch from the NY area. Is this the case?

• Big Juan says:

My answer isn’t really relevant to your question, seeing as I live in VT, not NY, and for that I’m sorry. However, MLB.tv is awesome. I use it all the time and the picture quality is great (especially if you have a strong internet connection). Definitely worth the investment.

Just my two cents.

• Cam says:

Yeah, I’ve seen it before. That’s one of the reasons I want to get it. I’m all set to buy myself a new monitor and buy the package, but I want to make sure I’ll be able to watch games! I wish there was a way to trick the internet and make it think I was somewhere else, haha.

• W.W.J.M.D says:

Why not buy a new TV?

• Cam says:

Why? I have a 2 year old 50″ Panasonic plasma.

• W.W.J.M.D. says:

Well i bought a 42 inch old style tv with the huge back, but it has PiP and it allows me to change the sound to the smaller channel if i like. All for 45 bucks.

• Cam says:

My TV allows PIP, I used it last year with Cablevision. I just switched to FiOS though and apparently Verizon doesn’t have PIP turned on in their boxes. So my TV can handle it, but the cable box can’t.

• chriskeo says:

I’ve been wondering the same thing as yourself, but if you have Verizon, Cablevision, or Blue Ridge TV service, you can get Yankees on Yes, which allows you to watch in-market games. I don’t know much about it, but that might be something worth looking into given your situation.

• Cam says:

I’ve got Verizon so I watch games on YES, but sometimes there’s a conflict when my wife wants to watch something else. With Cablevision, they had Picture-in-Picture which allowed me to put the game on in the corner of the screen. I’m just trying to get this so I can put it on my laptop and watch the games since Verizon doesn’t have PIP.

• ROBTEN says:

Regular Season Local Live Blackout: All live games on MLB.TV and available through MLB.com At Bat are subject to local blackouts. Such live games will be blacked out in each applicable Club’s home television territory, regardless of whether that Club is playing at home or away. If a game is blacked out in an area, it is not available for live game viewing. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber and not within either Club’s home television territory, the applicable game will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber within either Club’s home television territory or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, the applicable game will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat.

In addition, note:

• These blackout restrictions apply regardless of whether a Club is home or away and regardless of whether or not a game is televised in a Club’s home television territory.
          • All live Toronto Blue Jays games are blacked out throughout the entire country of Canada.
          • Additional teams may also be subject to blackout in parts of Canada based on their region.
          • All live games will be blacked out in the U.S. territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands during the MLB regular season.

• Cam says:

I’ve read that before. Just trying to confirm it with someone who actually had the service. $100+ a year is a lot if you can’t even watch the games when you’re in your home market.

38. W.W.J.M.D says:

So I was thinking about Jesus for the hundreth time today and thought of something unworldy.

Since Mo is God, doesn’t that make Jesus his son?

And whenever Jesus catches Mo, shouldn’t it be smooth, with no need for mound visits, since they know each other so well from all the time they spent in the yard playing catch?

39. Steve H says:

TSJC, not sure if you saw this, but figured you’d be interested.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnatio.....mmie-smith (safe)

40. YankeesJunkie says:

Jesus Montero: Over/Under 25 homers this year (every minor/major league time he gets in 2010)? I am going to say over at 28.

41. Steve H says:

Brian Scalabrine is getting a spray tan tomorrow.

That is all.

42. Brian says:

One of the best nights of my life. I was sitting in the last row of the stadium, behind 3rd base- and I was with my girlfriend (who was a Mets fan). Boone hit the HR, and all I could see was Manny running back towards the infield and the bleachers going nuts. It took us 2 hours to get out of the stadium. Long story short, we took the subway back to my girlfriend’s place, and she dumped me. She said I was “too into the Yankees,” and she was upset that I was hugging and high-fiving everyone except for her. The moral of the story: Don’t date Mets fans. Enjoy your retirement, Boonie.

43. Reggie C. says:

If Rafael Depaula is already mulling a Mariners offer (via MLBTR) then he’s got to be closing in on a decision pretty soon. After all, he’s gotta get to know his EST roster and coaches. I really want the Yankees to get this power righty. If he’s already dialed it up to 97, this kid could be the next A-Viz.

44. Hangoverologist says:

In this year’s ALCS, it will be a legendary seven game series between the Yanks and Red Sox that will end in a walk-off homer by none other than…

A-Rod.

Your mind, it is blown.

• bexarama says:

I can’t take any more seven-game wars between these two. A nice, quiet Yankee sweep of the Sox where we outscore them 43-1 would be nice.

Though if I was guaranteed the Yankees would win the series, sure, seven games with A-Rod hitting a walk-off.

• Tom Zig says:

Who would you prefer it be off of?

Papelbon? Wakefield? Dan Bard? Beckett? Dice-K? Kevin Youkilis?

• bexarama says:

Absolutely Papelbon, I almost felt a little bad that Boone hit the HR off of Wakefield because Wakefield seems like a good guy. There was already the “AWESOME!” moment with Bard vs. the Yankees.

I want Beckett to get absolutely mauled in his playoff start.

Lester, I like, so he can lose, like, 3-1.

(It’d be awesome if it was Kelly, too. But as of right now, he’s just a probably overhyped prospect, and not a total jackass like Paps.)

• Hangoverologist says:

True, that would be nice, but I didn’t get to see the 2003 ALCS due to being seven (weird) and having a lack of interest in baseball. A sweep would be nice, provided we bombard the Sox in Games 1, 2, and 3 (13-0, 20-0, 8-0, 2-1) and we trail by one in the ninth with two down and A-Rod walks off. Even if that were to happen, the A-Rod critics would still not shut the fuck up about him being self-centered and all that bullshit.

45. Zack says:

Wow, did Sportscenter just get prank called?

They were live with “Brian Westbrook” and he finishes the interview by saying he looks forward to “worshiping Howard Stern’s prostate,” they cut him off and just put the camera on Scott Van Pelt.

46. John says:

Montero working on his defense at 2:00. those two blocks look good to me haha.