Feb

Open Thread: Montero shakes the rust off

Surely you’ve heard by now, but top Yankee prospect Jesus Montero stole the show during today’s workout in Tampa, hitting a ball off the M of the George M. Steinbrenner Field sign in left field. As you can see from the picture, it’s not cheapie, approximately 446 feet away from home plate. If it had gone to right field instead of left, it probably would have landed on the Dale Mabry Highway.

“Today, I found it a little bit,” Montero said, referring to his swing. “I tried to put a good swing on the ball. Put a good swing on the ball, and that’s what happened.” Montero also said that it’s one of the five longest homers he’s ever hit, but on the low end. Jesus has spoken.

Once you’re done drooling over Montero’s shot, then use this as your open thread. The Knicks are playing at home, then there’s the Olympics and 24. Talk about whatever you want, just be cool.

Photo Credit: Gene J. Puskar, AP

Categories : Open Thread

1. A little bit?

Now I know what the Jews for Jesus are on about…

2. bexarama says:

Montero also said that it’s one of the five longest homers he’s even hit, but on the low end.

Lulz. He rules.

Anyway, bigger spring training ruh-roh:
    a. Matsui: “Hey guys, my knees actually still feel like crap.”
    b. Manny: “Whatever, I’m not gonna be here next year anyway.”

3. i wonder how far it would have gone had it not hit the M. no way of knowing, but could it have gone 475? 500?

4. Salty Buggah says:

I’m thinking about a handle change. When I came at RAB a long time ago, I didn’t think I’d last so I used some stupid name someone had on a Broncos site. But now that I’ve become a regular, I think it’s time I change the name into something else because it sounds kinda dumb.

So, I ask you guys, should I leave as just Salty (because that doesn’t sound as dumb and it will be easy to recognize me still) or should I make it my name (probably my nickname)or something?

5. So I didn’t get the job I wanted.

Ah well. More time to blog, I guess.

6. Tank the Frank says:

Curling is an intense sport. Deal with it bitch.

7. Steve H says:

Looking at the M, I just J.I.M.P’d

8. danny says:

cant wait for him to be called up!

9. Keep up the hot shooting, Kemba.

10. Interesting night at the Imbrogno house tonight:
    1. I can’t find my iPod. Fuck.
    2. I realized just how deep my dad’s prejudice runs.

11. ultimate913 says:

Hey, Mike. Could you check the godly amount of photos you have access to and see if there is one of hey-zeus’s batting stance?

12. JobaWockeeZ says:

One reason the Yankees were reluctant to go for a two-year deal for Johnny Damon might have had little to do with Damon and been a greater reflection of what they think of Carl Crawford. The Yankees love him. Crawford is almost sure to be too rich for the low-revenue Rays, and the Yankees jump to the head of the class for interested teams. Remember, too, that the Yankees passed on Matt Holliday. It all seems to set up nicely for Crawford.

I love him too for the right price. If he’s going around asking for Holliday money I probably wouldn’t want that but a 4/60 deal seems good.

13. Accent Shallow says:

I know it’s easy to get caught up in the hype (and the hope), but has anyone considered what happens if Jesus takes a step back in AAA this year?

I mean, he only played 92 games last year, and 44 of those were at AA. I don’t think he’s gonna go all Lars Andersen on us, since he doesn’t strike out nearly as much as other low minors sluggers, but the possibility exists that he won’t be ready for a September callup, and that his prospect status takes a significant hit, no?

/can’t get my hopes too up

14. T-Dubs says:

They need to burn the XL Center to the ground. It’s so quiet and full of old people that I’ve taken to calling it “The Senior Center”

15. Tank the Frank says:

Can NOT stop listening to this song. High Fidelity FTW.

16. Ivan says:

I can’t wait for Montero to make his debut to the majors. Over/Under for Montero with concern with MVP’s? I say way fucking over lol.

17. Guess who was on the CBS 2 news at 5:30 tonight? This guy.

/self-promotion’d

18. pat says:

Awesome Fake Antonio Cromartie facebook-

19. bonestock94 says:

Wow, Khalil Greene is a mess.

20. pat says:

This girl on House is insanely beautiful. Like intimidatingly pretty.

21. Hey Kelvin says says:

OVer/Under of Rookie of the year award for Montero?

Way over, no other prospect has that offense right now shiiiiiit.

22. So I was thinking about life after Mo…maybe the Yankees will man up when Mo retires and shift back to the multiple inning closer or relief ace type thing. That’d be awesome.

23. Manimal says:

Who was pitching to him?

24. Um, UConn, wake up again.

25. bexarama says:

I was watching the Prime 9 Bloopers or whatever and it made me realize that John Kruk vs. Randy Johnson may be the ugliest, grossest man ever vs. the second ugliest, grossest man ever. But who’s who?

(I’m gonna make myself feel better by watching Pettitte vs. Leiter on YES now.)

26. pat says:

Does Tebow have any viable future in the NFL?

27. Nady Nation says:

David Lee is a joke.

28. T-Dubs says:

Scott Burrell > Jerome Dyson

29. Mike R says:

Better trade him now while his stock is up!

[/sarcasm]

30. T-Dubs says:

Jesus for Mauer (no negotiating window): Yes or No?

31. T-Dubs says:

When I was in college we made a sign on an unfolded Busch Light box that said “I outdrank Bob Huggins!”

32. Just officially joined the RAB Fantasy Baseball League. My team name?

CentWAR Centaur™.

33. Regarding Andy’s comment earlier that Dale Murphy was a two-time MVP, thus somehow cheapening or lessening the list of two-time winners:

—————-

You know how all these baseball purists want to eliminate/asterisk stats and awards from the late ’90s and early ’00s as being tainted due to the steroid era?

There should be an asterisk for everything that happened in the 1980s. Because the entire decade of 1980s baseball… sucked. Weakest crop of talent in baseball history (non-war years), IMHO.

Dale Murphy being a two-time MVP winner and Jack Morris/Dave Steib/Fernando Valenzuela et. al. battling it out for “best pitcher in baseball” is just proof positive of that. The 1980s in MLB is like the post Jordan-pre LeBron era in the NBA: the decade blows.

In fact, the NBA crappy decade >>>>>>>>>>>> the MLB crappy decade.

34. pat says:

OMG The Nerd knows the history of everything HILARIOUS!!!

/effing hate this show.

35. When told about Jesus’ home run today, Reymond Nunez called it “Cute”.

36. T-Dubs says:

I’m 8 eps into Season 1 of Dexter. It’s fantastic!

One of my favorite non-Wire* shows that I’ve seen in a while.

*The Wire is the greatest show ever.

37. Riddle says:

Anyone know a good poet that isn’t very famous? I have an AP Lit project to do on a poet…lucky me.

38. W.W.J.M.D says:

So after a long day, I made my rounds on the interweb, and came accross the Damon press conference. I’m thankful JD gave me another reason to hate him, because there is no way he wanted to be in Detroit since day 1.

39. Jammy Jammers says:

I’d like to see him knock the ‘D’ off of JD Drew. Get it? Ugh…

40. [...] Jesus Montero. A career .700-.750-1.400 hitter in big league Spring Training, he has already made a big impression with his batting practice showings this year despite being in camp for just over a week. He’s [...]

41. [...] begun, but how many storylines can really come out of it? We are busy talking about a Jesus Montero ‘moon-shot’ off a batting practice pitcher in March. The NBA is dry right now. USA Hockey is on hold for the next few [...]

42. [...] begun, but how many storylines can really come out of it? We are busy talking about a Jesus Montero ‘moon-shot’ off a batting practice pitcher in March. The NBA is dry right now. USA Hockey is on hold for the next few [...]

43. [...] that cleared the George M. Steinbrenner Field sign in left-center, making Jesus Montero’s blast of the M look rather [...]