Feb

Open Thread: Official Winn

The slow time just before Spring Training can be hell for blog content, so I figured I’d pass along the news that Randy Winn is listed on the Yankees’ 40-man roster page at the official site, which confirms that he in fact passed his physical and is officially signed. Our Depth Chart is up to date.

The 40-man roster is now full, which means someone will have to head to DFA-ville before the Yankees can acquire another player. Looking at the list of the players, I’m guessing Edwar Ramirez would be the first to get the axe, however a spot would also open up if/when Jamie Hoffmann is returned to the Dodgers. Chris Garcia is dead to me, so he can follow Edwar out the door. Who’s after that, maybe Jon Albaldejo?

Anyway, use this as your open thread for the night. The Knicks and 4-43 Nets are both playing tonight, and rumor has it Derek Jeter is making an appearance on MLB Network’s Hot Stove program tonight. You know what to do, so enjoy the thread.

Categories : Open Thread

1. 28 next year says:

do you think Garcia would pass through waivers?
    I mean he has talent but with his injury history, is someone willing to put him on their 40 man?

• JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

Someone would grab him. There’s no reason for a team like the Royals, Pirates or some other team with no chance of competing to not stuff him on the roster.

2. Drew says:

Jetes on right now.

3. Depth Chart of who should get a tall glass of Pinstripe DFA IPA when we are ready to bring in fresh blood:

1. Edwar
    2. Garcia
    3. Mitre
    4. Albaladejo
    5. Nuñez
    6. Golson
    7. Logan
    8. Corona
    9. Hoffmann
    10. Miranda

4. Our newest microbrew:

Pinstripe Winn Winter Wheat™

It’s like icing on the icing™.

5. Salty Buggah says:

Imagine if Winn ever hit a walk-off. Sterling would literally explode.

Ballgame over, Yankees Winn, Thuuuuuh Yankees Winn! Winn the winner wins the game!!!!!

6. DP says:

I love how Joel Sherman aka mryankee “knows” what the Yankees are thinking, and that they are basing their decisions on Joba’s playoff performance only months after they let the World Series MVP walk. Makes sense.

7. Evan says:

Hmm, Wizards-Knicks or Venezuela-Puerto Rico?

8. Drew says:

Leiter was just talking about this.
    The White Sox can have a hell of a rotation this year.

Buehrle
    Danks
    Floyd
    Peavy

Now, I don’t think AL Peavy will be anywhere near Petco/NL Peavy but that has the makings of a real solid rotation.

9. Drew says:

Yo tsjc, how much stock do you put into the ESPNU 150?

Did Miami do as bad as it seems this year?

10. I love the fact the announcers are acting like they are actually at the game, when really they are in the studio in New Jersey.

• JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

Have you been to Secaucus? I go there every day. It’s wretched. They only need to imagine they are anywhere else; the noxious fumes play tricks with their minds, convincing them they are far, far away.

11. Hope the Puerto Rican team realizes that with the chalk circle around the mound broken, Simontacci can escape and wreak havoc.

/Lost’d

12. Hey ZZ says:

Luis (PR)

Montero or Bryce Harper?

Jim Callis (3:04 PM)

Montero. Good one.

13. JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

I don’t even know why I have a Facebook. I couldn’t care less about what sort of animals you have on your Farmville farm; your “deep” Nickelback lyrics sicken me; there’s nothing fascinating about quizzes like ‘Which lip gloss best describes your personality?!’; your persistent requests that I ‘join’ you in your fleeting, convenient political causes; and finally, your daily happenings is typical and boring.

Wait, I remember why I have a Facebook! So I can be “friends” with dumb skanks I went to high school and college with, and every now and then rub one out to photos of them getting drunk and taken advantage of in some dirty Mexican tequila town.

So sad.

14. Hey ZZ says:

I can now say I have officially seen every argument from anti-sabermetric people. I think you could guess where this came from.

“why does baseball statistical analysis have to be called Sabermetrics?

how about simply calling it baseball statistical analysis ?

i would find that less objectionable.”

15. Evan says:

You’ve never heard of “worm burner”, Greg?

16. “It’s way out of here!”

20 feet beyond the fence. That was easily 360 feet. Unbelievable.

17. Steve H says:

According to the commercial I just saw, 1 in 4 women can misread a traditional pregnancy test.

The last thing the 1 in 4 needs to be doing is getting pregnant.

18. Steve H says:

48 Hours is on WGN.

Remember when Eddie Murphy used to be, umm, alive?

19. Hey ZZ says:

“It certainly doesn’t show up in the standings,” Bisciotti said. “If I’m a Yankees fan, I’m upset we’re not winning 130 games with the roster that they have and the money that they pay out. I think it’s a disgrace they only beat the average team by 10 games in the standings with three times the money. I’d fire that GM. You don’t need a GM. All you have to do is buy the last Cy Young Award winner every year.”

-Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti

• bexarama says:

and after the 4-game sweep in August:

It’s not bad, but:
      a. That 8-game winning streak after the All-Star Break doesn’t count, it wasn’t against the Red Sox!
      b. They paid a lot of money!!!

• DP says:

Well the Yankees World Series doesn’t count, they didn’t beat Boston

/Patriots fans explaining the Steelers 2 recent SBs
        //No, I’m not kidding (or a Steelers fan)

• Steve H says:

Whoever said that has to be the mryankee of Pats fans. That’s brutal. Funny thing is, most Pats fans, while we hate the Steelers, have a shitload of respect for them, me included. I still can’t believe they won a Super Bowl with Omar Epps as the coach, though once he fixed his fumbling problem, he was pretty good in The Program.

• bexarama says:

I went to college with a ton of Boston sports fans. They were pretty much all tremendous jerks (the Red Sox fans in my high school were fine, though, especially considering both the 2003 and 2004 ALCSes took place when I was in HS), and I heard this A LOT.

It was also really satisfying watching Game 7 of the 2008 ALCS with some really asshole-y Red Sox fans, who had been bragging about how they were “the best comeback team evahhh!!!” The pretty much outward desolation on their faces when they realized that, yup, they’d lost the series, after bragging about how much they were going to “teach the Rays what an actual good team looks like,” was really awesome.

• I still can’t believe they won a Super Bowl with Omar Epps as the coach…

DEJAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
            DEJAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
            (weeps)

• Steve H says:

In Wakefield, who moved to 8-3 with a 4.50 ERA, the Red Sox have found a reliable 42-year-old to round out a rotation so overstuffed with quality arms that the Red Sox may be forced to trade a pitcher who’s 5-2 on the season (brad Penny) just to make room for 1) a future Hall of Famer (John Smoltz) and 2) a 24-year-old of such promise that he’s already thrown a no-hitter in the major leagues and is 4-0 with a 1.75 ERA in the minors this year (Clay Buchholz).

• bexarama says:

I’ll do one better:

They have finished 1-2 in the American League standings nine times in the past 11 seasons and are on pace to do so again this year, only this time, there can be no debating which is truly the better team.

(Also, he goes on about how the Yankees weren’t doing “the little things” and how that made Boston better, but then, when talking about the playoffs, he played the usual “yeah the Yankees are good but their opponents played SO BAD!” card.)

20. Salty Buggah says:

Wow, Tigers and Verlander agreed to a 5 year, $80 million extension.

21. adeel says:

I was so excited for baseball season to begin, but then someone mentioned Suzyn’s name and accent; is there any way we can DFA her?

It’s sad to think that people’s wives would intervene with Lost. It amazes me what lengths people go to for their spouses, and to what lengths people go to avoid them.

That said, I don’t know what to think of the religous undertones to that episode.

Does Bruney for Hoffman make sense now?

I have a test tomorrow that doesn’t count, but does count, how screwed up is that.

Facebook officially scares me. My brother-in-law’s Mother-in-law wants to friend me. WTF??!??!

Facebook does help you realize how pathetic everyone else turned out.

The last thing any of us should do is believe what a commercial told them.

22. bonestock94 says:

So, how long until he’s in pinstripes?

23. bexarama says:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.....id=7152841 (safe)

#2, #4 :D

Boooo #5 (the bare-handed pop-up was better anyway. And I hate the Phillies announcers).

I also like #6 because I’m a big Kitty fan, but yeah. And that Greg Maddux guy was pretty good (for an easy first-ballot HOFer, he’s actually kind of underrated, probably because he didn’t throw 56000 MPH).

24. Holy crap, I just realized Minnie Driver is on Modern Family.

25. ADam says:

cya… edwar

26. Let me ask a question, that dovetails with a piece I’m working on.

By Opening Day 2012, is Jesus Montero:

-Our starting Catcher

-Our Starting DH

-Traded for some big Pitcher/Position player

Note-Left Field is out, Brian Hoch shot that down the other day.

• Steve H says:

1. C
      2. DH
      3. RF or LF. Brian Hoch is a beat writer.

• I ask because the way I figure, it’s Starting Catcher-or-bust for Jesus.

-Nick Johnson is our DH for the next few years
      -Alex, Jeter and others will be spending time at DH after NJ.
      -He’s really not a typical backup catcher, which is usually a defensive specialist.
      -Jorge is signed for the next two years
      -First base is obviously out until 2016

Am I missing something?

• BTW-By ‘bust’ I mean he has to be traded.

• Hey ZZ says:

Since when is NJ our DH for the next few years?

Your typical backup catcher is usually a defensive specialist, because if they had any offensive ability they would be a starting catcher for another team.

• Mike Axisa says:

NJ is the DH for one more year, not the next few.

And if he hits like he’s capable of, they’ll find someplace for him. He can split time between DH and C and LF for a few years or something. These things have a way of working themselves out.

• Sure, a big injury would sort this out. But there’s no ABs at DH for next year, if the NJ option gets picked up there’s no DH ABs for next year. First Base is out, and I’ll take Hoch’s word (he’s a good writer) that LF is out, and that the guy he quoted was someone who’d know like Newman.

Total that all up, and he either is starting catcher material or trade bait. That really shouldn’t surprise anyone, he was just offered in a deal a few months ago.

• DP says:

I have a feeling Nick’s option getting picked up and whether or not Jesus is ready for the majors are tied to each other.

• Right, I go through a bunch of scenarios and in most of them, NJ comes back. It’s only 5.5 for next year.

Again, the one scenario where NJ isn’t signed is where Montero is ready to catch on the MLB level, where he and Jorge split time Catching and DHing in 2011.

• Zack says:

It’s a mutual option so it’s not really just the Yankees’ decision.

If he has a big year he’ll decline it and hit the market and try to get more than 5.5m guaranteed; if he has a down year or injured the Yankees may not pick it up and then he’ll be a FA.

• Hey ZZ says:

Yeah but what are the chances the option gets picked up by both the Yankees and NJ. If he has a good year he probably looks for a bigger payday. If he has a bad year the Yankees look for someone else. And, if he is somewhere in between more likely than not one side will not pick up the option. Mutual options IMO, are largely meaningless.

• Not to derail this, but you’d have to search long and wide to find an economist who thinks the economy will be roaring by next year. A big pot of money waiting for him somewhere is not something to worry about.

• Hey ZZ says:

He had a 2 year offer on the table from the Giants this year. If he has another good and injury free year he could most likely get more money and/or more years.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

A deal that both sides probably knew wasn’t going to happen.

• Still if the Blue Jays accepted, he’d be gone right now. We can qualify the offer however we want, but we all saw the reports that he was made available.

Also, the fact that the Yanks keep drafting Catcher after Catcher may be a window into where they think this is headed. Maybe he catches for a few years while he’s young, and then shifts to 1B in 2016. Sounds like a long time from now, but Jesus will only be 27.

• Mike Axisa says:

They’re not drafting catchers because they don’t have confidence in Montero. They’re drafting catchers because they feel they’re the best available player.

The big league team and players in the system should have no control over who you draft. You don’t stop drafting first baseman because you have Mark Teixeira.

• JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

Wouldn’t RF make more sense than LF? I’d think if it came down to it, Swish would move to LF, but hey, who knows?

• DP says:

Well you asked for 2012, which means both Jorge and NJ don’t have contracts at that point. I’d like to think we are never going to have a rotating DH…so I think if he’s that good there will either be a C or DH spot open for him.

• pat says:

In 2012 Montero is 80% DH and 20% catcher splitting time with Romine.

• JMK the Overshare’s Mystique and Aura says:

If Romine is ready. In all likelihood he’ll spend all of this year in AA, and all of 2011 in AAA. Not sure he’d be ready with that little time. 2013 is a better bet.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Starting catcher DH’ing a good amount of times.

• Hey ZZ says:

Probably a stupid question but I do not know enough about Montero’s defensive abilities to know for sure: Is there anyway Montero could handle 3B

27. Hey ZZ says:

Does it make you a P-Penner if you want Joba in the rotation next year and Hughes in the BP?

28. aj says:

How bout signing Erik Bedard and putting both Joba and Hughes in bullpen together. Just kidding, but I heard that one a few days ago.

29. [...] In the lone personnel move of the week, the Randy Winn signing was made official. [...]