Feb

Open Thread: Yet another YouTube video

Here’s your open thread for the evening. The Islanders already won, but the Devils still have to play. The NBA Skills Competition is on tonight, as are the Olympics. Anything goes, so have fun.

Categories : Open Thread

1. I’m so ready for baseball.

I finally went and bought the Bill James baseball abstract today. I feel accomplished.

Also, gift cards are the greatest thing ever.

2. Tom Zig says:

Nice clip from the official DVD.

Can.not.wait.till.baseball

3. bexarama says:

1. I was out to dinner before and I saw someone with a hat that said SBGL (not sure if that’s the order people prefer but that’s what the hat said) and I laughed.
    2. My mom watched the Mike Cameron 4 HRs game that was on MLB Network today (from 2002!!!), which means that a. I had to listen to the Mariners announcer, who is the WORST and b. now she’s babbling on about how Mike Cameron is “the difference-maker” and how much better the Red Sox are than the Yankees now. Because of JUST Mike Cameron.
    3. I am now nervous to do the /’d in a post since there are so many rules.
    4. John Henry’s Twitter should be on that meme list. Curse of MT indeed.

• bexarama says:

Also, this video reminds me that I tried to watch “The 2001 World Series: Destiny in the Desert” the other day, and I got oh, about four minutes in, and they had John Sterling yelling “The Yankees are THREE OUTS AWAY from their fourth World Series in a row!!!”, and then I had to shut it off because I knew it would just make me all upset.

4. JGS says:

I’m still angry at Michael Kay for that awful Mt. Olympus comment

5. Salty Buggah says:

Nice little article about Montero. It talks about his working hard on his defense and other stuff. Good read.

Everytime I read something on Montero improving his defense, I get more and more excited for him.

6. T-Dubs says:

Kenny Smith is unbearable. This HORSE competition is booooring.

7. Drew says:

Remember the days when good players participated in the Dunk Contest? Not to say these guys won’t come up with sick dunks.. It’s just not the same.

8. UpstateYank says:

Does anyone know where you can get the rest of that video?

9. Mike Pop says:

Reggie Miller is acting like this is a game of chess.

10. JobaWockeeZ says:

I’m assuming I haven’t missed the dunk contest yet.

11. Steve H says:

Jesus’ dad and brother are also named Jesus. Who does his dad think he is, George Foreman?

12. Drew says:

“Kepner thinks the 10-year, $275MM contract that Alex Rodriguez signed with New York after the 2007 season may serve as a benchmark for Jeter’s next deal.”

If Al is the benchmark, Jetes is worth less than 15 mil.
    We all love DJ, but they are two completely different players and their contracts should have no correlation.

13. VO says:

Does anyone know what time the Slam Dunk Contest is on? Have I missed it?

14. VO says:

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question but I don’t follow basketball closely, but didn’t Lebron say that this year he would be in the contest this year? What about Dwight Howard?

15. VO says:

Was it me or was this years dunk contest extremely mediocre?

16. VO says:

Alright, I’m getting restless for baseball season. Today I watched the ’96, ’98, ’00, and ’09 season dvd highlights. I don’t think I can wait much longer.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

What happened to 99′?

• VO says:

I wanted to watch the dunk contest and i had to choose between 2000 and 1999. I choose 2000 because I was talking to a Met fan at the time.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Yeah, 99′ is kind of “the year that time forgot”, sandwiched in between one of the greatest seasons of all time and a very memorable subway series win. 99′ didn’t really have anything special marking it except perhaps validating the Yanks as the team of the 90′s.

• Mo's Savant says:

I always laugh when I hear the radio call of some call declaring the Braves the team of the 90s. Little did these guys know…

• bexarama says:

Heh, that was Bob Costas. At the time, of course, it wasn’t a stretch to say the Braves were the team of the 1990s. Then, after the Yankees won in 1999, he was like, “Team of the Decade!” Damn straight. (I can deal with people calling the Braves “the team of the ’90s” more than I can deal with people calling the Red Sox “the team of the ’00s”)

17. Hughesus Christo says:

You know, I didn’t account for the absolute joy that comes from watching Americans beat Canadians on their home soil. The Women’s moguls were amazing.

Watching the South Koreans mug Ohno to take the 1-2-3 positions with one lap left and then wipeout to hand the US two medals was also great.

The Olympics are awesome.

18. jay says:

Dear Mr. Axisa,

On the outside chance you read this, I implore you to add some sense to MLBTR. The conversation currently being held about the “Yankee Captain” is both appalling as well as uneducated. As a person currently in their employ, it is my most sincere wish you school these miscreants on the finer points of DJ. It pains me to read such blatant haberdashery (the urban definition), and view you as a perfect candidate to rectify the situation.

Thanks for the time.

19. Tom Zig says:

Saw meets Die Hard

Except with John Cena

20. Moshe Mandel says:

Im gonna miss Melky’s enthusiasm.

• W.W.J.M.D. says:

I don’t like the trade we did to get rid of him.

• YankeesJunkie says:

I will miss his arm the most, however his batting was average at best. Considering the Yankees gave him up along with a low a player for a veteran such as Vazquez it is worth it. Hopefully, Melky has a great career and I will be rooting for him in 99% of his games.

21. Section 39 says:

I just want to know how you name a video the “2009 New York Yankees” and don’t cover the WS win at all. How do you go and stop with the AL pennant? Really?

22. Section 39 says:

The best part about it is that this was taken from the WORLD SERIES DVD and still doesn’t include anything on the WORLD SERIES. Ridiculous…