Feb

Open Thread: You can’t strike out everyone

Earlier this morning, Ben discussed the Granderson left field question that made its rounds yesterday. It’s really no big deal. If the Yankees name Brett Gardner the starter and feel he’ll play better defense in center field, then perhaps Granderson will slide over to left. That seems to be the only scenario under which they’d even consider a move.

Rob Neyer often weighs in on stories like this, and he did so yesterday. I do take issue with one thing he said, though:

It’s pretty obvious that the organization doesn’t care about defense. That’s why they’ve got all those high-strikeout pitchers.

To start with the second sentence: Yes, they did pick up a number of high strikeout pitchers. Strikeouts help because it means fewer balls in play, which means less pressure on the defense. But those pitchers still allow plenty of balls in play, including a good number of fly balls and line drives. Thankfully, this crew of starters typically does a good job of keeping the ball out of the air. So it might be more accurate for Neyer to append that to his second sentence.

But that still leaves the issue of Sentence No. 1. Pretty obvious that they don’t care about defense? I just don’t see that. In fact, this off-season they brought in two good defensive outfielders in Curtis Granderson and Randy Winn, leaving Johnny Damon, a poor defender in 2009, to find work elsewhere. Hell, they even brought in a good defensive first baseman, even though he figures to play fewer than 10 games there this year. I think the organization does care about defense, but not at the expense of significant offense. Which is completely different than them not caring about defense.

/rant

And so begins another open thread. For the basketball fans, the Nets are in Charlotte and the Knicks are in Chicago. More interesting than the Knicks game, really, is their pursuit of Tracy McGrady. Not that McGrady is exciting in himself. Rather, trading for him would mean shedding Jared Jeffries’s contract. Joe Treutlein at Hoopdata explains what that means for the Knicks this off-season (with a tip o’ the hat to Ross, who has some new digs). Unfortunately, it looks like Houston has better offers. Or maybe they’re just posturing.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Ivan says:

• Mike HC says:

reply below was meant for you here.

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I don’t pay too much attention to the Knicks or NBA for that matter, but what has Jordan Hill done in his rookie year? He is a potential piece to the McGrady deal, as well as a possible 2012 draft pick.

The Knicks also traded their 2010 first to Utah, so they’re going to take a big hit for not being able to draft any talent. They better know what their doing with Lebron, Bosh, etc.

• I hope that this plan doesnt blow up in the Knicks faces. I mean they are trading alot picks basically thinking they are gauranteed 2 FA pick ups. Look its never a bad trade to get more cap room, but its always risky to put to all your eggs in one basket.

This concept, pimped endlessly by Michael Kay (amongst others) really grinds my gears.

If every single marquee free agent (LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Johnson, Amare, etc.) spurns the Knicks money and doesn’t come here this winter, it’s irrelevant. The Knicks and Donnie Walsh did the right thing.

What else were we going to do? Keep Zach Randolph and Stephon Marbury? Not trade Malik Rose or Jamal Crawford? Double down on our fucked the hell up roster by trading expiring deals for the Ben Gordons or Michael Redds that would be available every February and make a push for the 7th seed and a first-round exit?

There are only 10 men on the court at a time in an NBA game. The team that has the best player on the court almost invariably wins the game. There are thus only three things that matter in the NBA:

1) Having a superstar elite talent capable of winning games singlehandedly.
      2) Having cap room or trade assets necessary to acquire said superstar elite talents.
      3) Being shitty enough at the right time to hit the lottery during a fortuitous season where a superstar elite talent is available to you with a top-3 pick in the draft.

The Knicks of the past decade have had none of the three. The only logical solution for the Knicks is to burn the team to the ground and empty out the cap for a free agent bonanza OR make the team shitty enough to hit the lottery. Those two strategies dovetail perfectly.

If we sign nobody this offseason, we roll the money over to next offseason when Carmelo and Deron Williams and Chris Paul and Brandon Roy and others are available. If nobody signs then, we roll over again and wait for Kevin Durant or someone. Rinse and repeat.

Being a perpetual 6-7 seed with good but not great players is shitsville. Either be great or be shitty which enables you to be great. There is no in between.

We’re putting all our eggs in one basket because there’s no other alternative.

2. iYankees says:

Glad you wrote about this, Joe. I was just looking at a similar Neyer criticism over at THT and I couldn’t agree more. Everything the Yankees have done this winter seems to take defense into account. To say that they “don’t care” about it is absurd.

3. Brooklyn Ed says:

Updated Yankee Numbers:

Boone Logan – 48
    Romulo Sanchez – 67
    Juan Miranda – 53
    Greg Golson – 61
    Jamie Hoffmann – 73

…some prospects such as Russo and NRIs still havent been assigned ones.

4. Mike HC says:

Yea, but if it is the only basket you have, it is best to put all your eggs in it.

5. In the past few years, the Yankees:

- Signed Tino Martinez, Andy Phillips, Doug Mientkiewicz, Josh Phelps, Craig Wilson, and numerous other defense-first first basemen in an effort to move Giambi permanently to DH and improve the 1B defense

- Signed 32 year old quasi-elite CF Johnny Damon to replace declining 37 year old Bernie Williams to upgrade the CF defense

- Declined to bring back first Bobby Abreu and then Johnny Damon, predicated primarily on doubts that they could continue to be cost/production-effective based on declining OF defense; both veterans were replaced by younger above average defenders with less-heralded offensive track records acquired by trade (Swisher, Granderson)

- Given roster spots and large amounts of playing time to young players like Alberto Gonzalez, Bubba Crosby, Melky Cabrera, Brett Gardner, Frankie Cervelli, Ramiro Peña, etc. who gain the lion’s share of their value from defense

——

As for C, 2B, SS, and 3B… they’re locked into Posada, Cano, Jeter, and ARod. Any defensive shortcomings they may individually have are shortcomings that every single big league team would gladly live with, given their elite bats.

Neyer’s statement is full of FAIL.

6. Nady Nation says:

Knicks fans: Thoughts on the deal if it goes through? I’ve been going back and forth in my head, and as much as losng the picks and Hill hurts, I think I go big and make the move. The thought of throwing 2 maxes at Lebron and Wade or Bosh is too much for me to pass up.

• That.

The only real asset we’re losing in the deal is the 2012 first rounder, which will in all likelihood not be a good pick by July 2012 since we’ll have a much better team by then.

Do it. Getting rid of Jeffries’s 7M salary is more than worth the cost of a first round pick that won’t be a top-6 pick anyway.

• THIS. I like the risk of them saying, “Fuck it, we’re all in,” than middling, struggling to make an 8 seed.

Besides, the picks won’t matter if you have Wade, Bron, Johnson, Bosh, etc.

Or you don’t get either and you wait to reload the next year or year after that. You’ll just have to do it without high picks, which sucks, but after 1-5 the drop-off is huge. Picks 14-31 are crapshoots anyway.

/a bit drunk and unsure if that made sense

7. bexarama says:

Papelbon’s Mo obsession is sort of creepy but also sort of the most endearing thing about him:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/bost.....id=4919488 (safe)
    It also used to say that Papelbon had two rings, but they changed it.

Also, why was Sandy Koufax meeting with the Mets? To tell them, “Learn how to pitch, dumbasses”?

8. BigBlueAL says:

Sean Casey on Hot Stove just said Mike Jacobs could be a huge addition for the Mets. Sigh. Well at least he isnt Harold Reynolds….

• bexarama says:

This is going to sound like a bizarre complaint, but a lot of MLB Network’s weird analysis comes from the fact that they’re so positive about every move ever made. I think they’re afraid to say something is a bad move or someone is going nowhere.

• Drew says:

You disagree? At this point, signing Sean Casey would be a huge signing for the Mets. They need all the help they can get.

• That.

Do I think Mike Jacobs sucks balls? Yes. Is balls-sucking Mike Jacobs still a decent bet to outproduce Mets 2009 HR champ Daniel Murphy? Yeah, he is.

The Mets are like a homeless bum. The half-eaten Jr. Whopper with spoiled mayonnaise that someone else threw in the dumpster is like a four course meal at Le Cirque to them.

9. Mike Axisa says:

I have an issue with the title of this post. Melvin Croussett can strike out everyone, he’s just too modest to actually do it.

10. Hangoverologist says:

Handle change from Mo’s Savant to Hangoverologist.

Anyway, I was talking to a friend at school and he was wearing a Reds hat. I asked why he was wearing one and he said because the Reds were his number 2 team in baseball, second to the Yanks. Then I realized I shouldn’t be criticizing because I’m a secret Dbacks fan.

11. Zack says:

Did Al Davis really give Janikowski 4yrs/16m (9m guranteed)?

12. Bob F says:

5th Starter = Jobahughes = alternate who starts the game, first guy “starter” never more than 4 2/3 innings & if someone goes down they’re ready to be stretched furthur & maybe joba gets an extra inning each time

13. Sweeney Murti made a good point about Joba being moved to the bullpen. Do you think the Yanks would have went through all the stuff with the Joba Rules for the past few years to make him a middle reliever? Especially NOW, when those restrictions are finally lifted?

The only way I see Joba moving back to the bullpen is if he bombs out as a starter this year. And I still have my doubts about this ST competition. Joba’s ERA as a starter is a full run lower than Hughes, and he has a deeper and better repertiore. I have to think he has an edge, despite what Eiland said recently.

14. Speaking of the NFL:

If there are any Kansas City Chiefs fans here, I suggest you learn to start hating the Colts, Texans, and Titans. Because you’re gonna get moved to the AFC South. The writing is on the wall.

Goodell’s gonna pin his reputation on two things: 1) negotiating a new round of labor peace without a work stoppage and 2) moving a team to LA.

That team will be the Jacksonville Jaguars. Nobody else makes sense, and no other market will complain less. The Vikings/Saints/Bills communities would raise hell; the Rams are being sold to midwestern investors; the Raiders are owned by a crazy fucker and Goodell will never pin his LA hopes on him.

The Jags have no roots or history. Nobody in north Florida cares about pro football. They can’t even crack 50 percent attendance.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Los Angeles Jaguars.

If the Jags move to the AFC West (and no NFC team would flip conferences with them, so forget about that), they’re going to have to kick out one of the two non-west coast members of that foursome. That means either the Broncos or the Cheifs move to the AFC South, and it’s not gonna be the Mountain Standard Time Denver Broncos.

Flipping the Chiefs and Jags makes geographic sense, and the Chiefs intradivision rivalries are weaker than the Broncos/Raiders/Chargers triumvirate. Slam dunk.

AFC East:

Denver
    San Diego
    Oakland
    LOS ANGELES JAGUARS

——–

You’re welcome.

15. Why is nobody talking about how A-Rod desperately needed those days off last year to help his performance? We’ve been getting numerous backup outfielders, but why aren’t we addressing a backup infielder to give A-Rod his needed blows?
    – Bennett W., Washington, D.C.

This is a good point. As of right now, the best guess for the utility-infield spot would probably be Ramiro Pena, who is as well-liked as anyone in the clubhouse — but let’s face it, he’s in the big leagues for his glove. Kevin Russo could challenge for a spot, too, but it’s interesting that the Yankees don’t have a veteran of the Cody Ransom or Angel Berroa ilk in camp this year for third base. Anyone heard from Morgan Ensberg lately?

It’s not huge deal, but we all saw how badly Alex needed those days off last year. Figure somebody else plays some 3rd once or twice a month.

16. Riddering says:

2010 has already reaffirmed that my beserker rage sparked by criticism of phenomenal athletes based on small playoff sample sizes will live on past A-Rod’s renaissance. Hurrah!

• bexarama says:

I’m sooooooo excited for the “he’s overpaid” and “we won the World Series despite him, not because of him” comments to come out of the woodwork when Texy gets off to his usual slow start.

I read Birth of a Dynasty recently, it’s excellent.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I got the lovely offical 2009 Yankees championship book. Very nice recap of the season.

• On another note: what baseball tomes are you folks purchasing this season? There’s so many I want. I need to limit myself. I need guidance.

I hope Matt Taibbi comes out with a baseball book.

I love to laugh.

17. Sam says:

Has anyone else seen this yet? http://nomaas.org/2010/02/the-.....n-cashman/

Not to actually get this open thread back to full Yankee talk, by any means

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Holy shit that was a very good interview.

They asked Cashman about being a ninja. Sick. But the other questions were really good. Like these.

SJK: On to the 5th starter competition — Joba Chamberlain lost significant juice on his fastball last year, in some estimates over 2 mph. How concerned are you about that and is that something which will weigh into your decision about who becomes the 5th starter?

CASH: Performance will dictate. He was inconsistent last year. He has completed his development program. May the best man win.

SJK: But, speaking of what you just said about sample sizes, how can you make a decision based on Spring Training?

CASH: You are forced to make those types of decisions. You take into account their prior history, but really no one is coming in with an edge. We’ll see what we see. Maybe someone shows up out of shape or pulls a hamstring, that helps make a decision. Maybe someone is throwing ball better than someone else.

• Drew says:

Usually I’m not one to rip on grammatical errors or misspellings but.. “I felt like we were the Roman Empire where are operations were stretched far and wide. We’re weren’t king of the hill in player development.” Come on man, you’re quoting CashMeezy, get it right.

• This interview is really tremendous. Must read stuff.

• Hangoverologist says:

That was a great interview. Cash’s responses to the NoMaas people’s jokes just prove he is ruthless in interviews as he is on the free agent and trade markets.

• Sam says:

I like how he still plays along instead of just completely blowing the not-so serious questions away, like “yeah everyone know what I listen to when I’m making a deal”

• Accent Shallow says:

Just when I thought you couldn’t possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this… and totally redeem yourself!

• Bob Stone says:

Outstanding interview questions and Cashmoney was very forthright in his answers.

18. SJK: Among some pockets of Yankee fans, you’ve developed a reputation as a ninja, silently stalking your victim and then out of nowhere slaying him with a flying star. In other words, you have a reputation of making acquisitions without them receiving much publicity before they happen, i.e Mark Teixeira. Do you make it a point that your front office keeps negotiations private? Do you feel that gives you an advantage?

CASH: One of the things that has taken place is that we’ve streamlined our process. When it comes to major league acquisitions, I work with our pro scouting department and only include others when the circumstances warrant. By doing that, I limit leaks. I control what I’m working on and it’s less likely to get out. And it works to our advantage. Because if people read or hear the Yankees are looking at someone, they’ll take a look too. That’s what I do. If a club is in on a guy, you take a second or third look. I don’t want to get anyone else’s attention when I’m working on something.

Can the RAB interview be far behind?

19. Cecala says:

Jeez this one Olympic hockey announcer is just sucking Crosby’s dick so much. He was saying how Crosby is better than Ovechkin because Crosby won a cup. Then Crosby makes a basic pass for an assist but its an “AMAZING PASS!!!1!11!”…

20. I know I’ve mentioned this before, and it came up yesterday at TYU, but do we think that wOBA could finally break into the MSM any time soon? I say it all the time: if they accept the hard to calculate QB-Rating, why not wOBA?

• Sam says:

Considering OPS just really gained “mainstream” recognition last year, I’d say that wOBA and wRC+ are a few years away

• Yeah…sigh…

Anyway, I think the problem the MSM has with incorporating stats is that they (generally) lack context (though ESPN did a good job of putting the lg. avg. OPS when they displayed it). Most of the time, especially during football games, the announcer throws out a stat that has absolutely no context attached to it, so it comes across as white noise. Whatever, I’m rambling. I should give this fight up. But I won’t.

21. (on Montero)

SJK: Do you think his future is behind the plate?

CASH: We hope so. His value is highest as a catcher. His bat will find a way into the middle of the lineup, that’s without a doubt. Whether he stays behind the plate, is a first baseman, a rightfielder, a DH – that remains to be seen. But he’s got one of the best throwing arms in the minors, he’s got some of the best blocking…he’s just so big, mechanically he takes a lot longer in his release. That’s an area he needs to shorten up.

This NoMaas interview is the motherload of good shit. A RF? Damn.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

With Cash reading between the lines is like finding hidden gems such as this.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Really? Besides for this one little tidbit (RF for Montero? Why didnt we think of that sooner), I’m pretty sure you have written columns on everything Cash said.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Just a note: it was still a very good interview. It’s just that Cash has been a little overexposed recently, so we have his opinion on almost everything.

• What I really liked about it was the questions they asked. Not the usual, dumbed-down questions you get from most outlets. Check this out:

SJK: Over the last few years, it seems like the Yankees are becoming less inclined to pay players based on nostalgia and public opinion. For example, early in this offseason you said Hideki Matsui’s World Series MVP wouldn’t be a factor in your valuation of him. How has the decision-making process changed?

CASH: I will say that I’ve been educated about sample sizes and the true value of a player’s abilities. If a player has a hot week in October, I don’t think that necessarily gives you an idea of his abilities.

A FOLLOW UP?!? NO!! WHO’S EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING?

• Moshe Mandel says:

Agreed. I’m just saying that Cash said the same thing at the time, that they wouldnt allow small samples to govern their moves. As I noted and you just illustrated, the interview itself was very well done.

• Yeah, but I always thought the OF was a stretch, and then Brian Hoch recently shot it down completely. Now here’s Cash injecting RF as a possibility. That was an eye opener.

• Mike Axisa says:

I don’t think he meant anything by that RF comment. I’m pretty sure he was just winging it.

22. Hangoverologist says:

To sort of change the topic, does anybody play the Show? I do and I made a pitcher. He is in AAA (PCL) and has a 2.64 ERA, 1.158 WHIP, and a 2.38 FIP. I’m building stats in NL West farm clubs then I’m going to transition over to the Yankees.

• I’m up to 2011 in my franchise. I lost Mo to retirement after ’09 and Jeter to retirement after ’10 (40 HITS SHORT OF 3K, WTF?). My starting lineup:

1. Heathcott, CF
      2. Posada, DH
      3. Tex, 1B
      4. Rodriguez, 3B
      5. Montero, C
      6. Swisher LF
      7. Mike Stanton, RF (traded Wang and Nady for him in ’09)
      8. Cano, 2B
      9. Tim Beckham, SS (traded for him mid ’10)

Rotation:
      1. CC
      2. A.J.
      3. Joba
      4. Hughes
      5. Tommy Hanson (just traded Yu Darvish and others for him)

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Posada playing, Jeter isn’t?

• Hangoverologist says:

If that were a real life lineup, it would give me boners. Also it sucks that you lost Jeter and Mo. Maybe you should have extended them offers past 09 and 10 and Jeter would reach 3K and then he could go to the HOF.

What really pisses me off about the Show sometimes is that every time I start my team gets shutout or no-hit and after I get pulled in the eighth they go and pull off a rally. Oy vey.

23. Hey ZZ says:

I admitted above that my NL team is the Mets, to not a very good reaction. However, I am going to list a few reasons why you guys should root for the Mets (although it is as close to definite as you can get that I will not get any converts)

1. Having 2 good baseball teams is good for NY

2. If the Mets are good FA will actually want to go there and provide competition against the Red Sox who have a much stricter budget than the Yankees (admittedly a pretty weak reason and I am stretching it here)

3. The Subway Series was fucking awesome

4. We all love baseball and watching baseball is much more fun when you are actually rooting for a team. In the NY area we get every Mets game so much more opportunity to watch a team you are pulling for.

5. It is not the worst thing in the world to see your friends and family who are Mets fans happy.

• bexarama says:

I don’t hate the Mets. Most of my friends who are baseball fans are Met fans. I just feel bad for them. :(

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

1. I don’t care.
      2. Stretching it.
      3. Yes. You know what else was awesome? Every other WS the Yanks won. And the Subways Series was only awesome because we won.
      4. I only get emotionally invested in the Yankees games. I couldn’t root for the Mets. My soul rebels against it.
      5. Yes, it is.

And lastly, reason # 6:

• 6. I fucking HATE the Mets. I despise them. I hate them almost as much as I hate the Red Sox. It’s that bad.

Why, though? The Mets have no bearing on the Yankees at all–save for six games a year–and are generally harmless. Though their fans may be annoying at times, and the team is generally frustrating, they are, at the end of the day, quite harmless. My thoughts on them:

• Bob Stone says:

I really don’t understand that point of view, even though it is commonplace in New York. The Mets are another New York team. I am old enough to have seen the Dodgers play in Brooklyn and the Giants in Manhattan. It was the same then. Each team’s fans hated each other’s team.

I never hated any of those teams. I don’t hate the Mets now.

If the Mets get to the play-offs, I root for them. Were you really rooting for the Red Sox to beat the Mets in 1986?

I root for the Mets against everyone except the Yankees. This Mets-hating-venom from Yankee fans is just so parochial, idiotic and ignorant.

• I like the Mets… because they’re funny.

I mean funny like they’re a clown, they amuse me. They make me laugh, they’re here to f#$%&in’ amuse me.

/Tommy’d

• Riddering says:

I have a Mets intern internet buddy now. I can’t wait for this season.

24. JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh and it looks like Granderson will likely be the opening day CF.

SJK: If the season were starting tomorrow, who would be your starting CF?

CASH: Curtis Granderson. But if Gardner proves our team is better with him in CF and he can be an everyday outfielder…he has a lot to show in a short amount of time in Spring Training. We believe he is better in CF and we believe Granderson would be terrific in LF. But, Granderson was acquired to be our everyday CF and that is our expectation.

• Drew says:

Shit, hopefully Gardy comes out smoking again and is able to carry it into the regular season this time.

But yeah, sounds like he’ll have to be pretty damn good to be an everyday player. Also, I don’t get the feeling Cash/Joe will flip-flop C-Grand’s position every other game to accommodate Gardy/Winn/Hoff or whoever else is getting starts as the 3rd OFer.

• Yeah, that was as clear and definitive as I’ve seen Cash on the subject. I thought that since they approached Granderson already about playing LF they were signaling a move, especially since they’re so high on Gardner’s defensive abilities. It’s not like it makes a huge difference either way, but you get the more value of Gardner in CF (premium defensive position) since most of his value is tied up in his defense.

25. I got 53/94 on this:

I can’t tell if that’s good or bad.

26. bexarama says:

Is AJ rocking the high socks this year?
    (safe)

I approve if so.

27. I’d like to introduce a new acronym to RAB. It’s a topic that comes up often, and it’s about time we have shorthand code for referring to it.

OPSDT-’Old People Saying Dumb Things’

My first entry.

• Accent Shallow says:

It’s funny how certain meats are no longer culturally acceptable. I mean, in English, there isn’t even a word for horseflesh as a dish, as opposed to beef, pork, etc.

(Although, I see cat as a starvation-type meat. . . in Europe, anyway)

• Yeah, and someone his age would have lived through WW2 and the early post-war years where much of Europe was devastated and people were starving. So he may have been raised on some unusual stuff. But that was forever ago, and he really should know better. Especially as a media personality.

About your point on meats, there’s no real argument I can make against it, other than (as you said) it’s what is socially acceptable at a given time. I can’t tell you killing a Cow is any more/less moral than killing any other animal.

• Bob Stone says:

I take offense at that comment as a person approaching age 60. Young people say at least as many dumb things as old people. For evidence, I give you Lindsey Lohan, John Papelbon, Alex Rodriguez, Ozzie Guillen, Tony Bernazard, Sarah Palin, John Rocker . . . . need I go on?

That is a totally inane, discriminatory and baseless statement. To suggest that RAB adopt an acronym for it is beyond belief.

You have a lot to learn. You can start with some respect for elders.

Then again . . . you could be kidding!

28. Instant username poll:

Rags to Richard

29. Bob Stone says:

NBC sucks. This is the WORST Olympics TV coverage I have ever seen.

30. SJK: Will Phil Hughes’ reported innings limits factor into the 5th starter competition?

CASH: No, it will not be a factor on his chances of becoming 5th starter. We will mandate what his innings limits will be and Joe Girardi and Dave Eiland will have full authority on how they would manage those innings – just like last year with Joba. They could truncate it at the beginning, it doesn’t matter me. It only matters to me if they exceed their limits.

(TSJC jizzes in his pants.)

Obviously we can’t read too much into a statement like that, but I found that interesting, in light of all the discussions we’ve had about that idea around here. I’m glad to know it’s an option that, at the very least, is being considered.

• Bob Stone says:

Given the players involved and general expectations for they’re growth and hopefully ultimate stardom, how could he say anything else?

• Bob Stone says:

oops – make that “their” not “they’re”

• I’m not sure what you mean… He didn’t have to point out, specifically, that they could rest a guy early in the season so that he wouldn’t push up against his innings limit prior to the end of the season. He literally could have said anything else, or just not said the specific thing he said, but he chose to say that one specific thing, and that’s what I found interesting. You don’t think he could have answered that question without saying the words I emphasized in bolded text?

• Bob Stone says:

I understand your point. Cash could have said nothing, anything or something else. My point is that he has two budding stars and wants them to both come out fighting for a starting spot, so his words were designed to keep them both motivated. I think it was a very smart comment. I don’t read anything into it though.

• I still think you missed what I was referring to, though. I wasn’t referring to the overall comment about innings limits, I was referring to the bolded text regarding restricting Hughes’s innings early in the season so that he wouldn’t hit his innings limit too early in the second half of the season, a la Joba ’09.

Cashman keeps Hughes motivated by saying it’s an open competition for the 5th spot in the rotation and by telling Hughes his innings limit won’t hold him back from gaining that spot, the same way they rolled with Joba in the 5th spot last season even though he was under an innings limit. Specifically saying they can restrict Hughes early in the season so that he doesn’t hit his innings limit before the end of the season is a different animal, though.

And… Just to reiterate my original point… Like I said above, “obviously we can’t read too much into a statement like that.” I think it was an interesting thing to say, and I like that it’s an option that’s on the table and is apparently being discussed enough that it’s on Cashman’s mind. He didn’t have to say it, it was information he voluntarily offered of his own volition, and I find it an interesting way to respond to the question.

Whatever, I don’t expect total resolution of this disagreement. I don’t think this comment or your further response were really relevant or valid responses to my original comment, I think you’re just kinda being contrarian… But whatever, not like it matters either way.

• Bob Stone says:

Honorable Congressman . . . I believe we really agree.

Cashman has been very available to the press this year and his comments seem to be unusually revealing and frank. I see a huge difference in his approach, demeanor and attitude from the man who seemed so down on his luck in the interview where he said that he wasn’t going to leave wihtout building a winning program.

I have really enjoyed his comments this year. I agree that he has been leaving little morsels, like the one you point out in the original post that I commented on. He has been gaining incredible skill in using (and NOT using the press).

He is acting like a man who really is in charge. I like that too. He has a new confidence and aura about him that is both clever and refreshingly open at the same time.

You ae a regular and very skilled poster here at RAB. I was just surprised that you found that little innuendo interesting. You said “obviously we can’t read too much into a statement like that.”

I was in essence agreeing with that portion of your comment while doing it as you said in a “kinda contrarian” (actually you were being very kind – I would have said “challenging”)way.

An idiot manager would say something like “we’ll see who earns the spot”. The interview questions were extremely well constructed and Cashman was up to the task with his responses.

I, for one, am pleased that Cashman still considers Hughes an option for the 5th starter. But, in my heart of hearts, I don’t think it will happen. It is, only in my opinion, Joba’s job to lose.

I agree to agree with you for the most part.

• “An idiot manager would say something like ‘we’ll see who earns the spot’. The interview questions were extremely well constructed and Cashman was up to the task with his responses.
                I agree to agree with you for the most part.”

Sorry to go back to this yet again, but I really think you’re still missing my point. What I’m saying, and what I found interesting, about Cashman’s quote, has nothing to do with him being smart by saying this is an open competition and that Hughes has a chance to win the spot or any of that stuff. It’s about a very simple and discrete point – holding a pitcher back early in the season so that he doesn’t hit his innings limits later in the season instead of letting him pitch all season and then restricting him towards the end of the season.

We’ve had numerous conversations around here about that very idea, and the bolded text that I referred to was interesting only because it showed that this idea is something that has been discussed and is, at the very least, on Cashman’s mind. Now, whether it’s being seriously considered and/or whether Cashman brought it up, voluntarily, for any reason, is certainly unclear, and that’s why I said obviously we can’t read too much into it.

That’s all.

All this other stuff, about agreeing about Cashman being smart and about the fifth starter competition… I don’t think it has much to do with what I said. Yeah, I mean, I’m pleased Cashman is smart and considers Hughes an option for the 5th spot, but that’s really kind of tangential to the point I was making.

• Bob Stone says:

I understand your point. It is much better to hold the pitcher back early instead of late (I like that idea a lot). It is interesting that Cashman is thinking that way. I totally agree with that. I think it is a strategy that is far superior to the one employed with Joba last year.

31. aj says:

Am I the only one that thinks that the Nats could have a much improved season with a rotation of Marquis, Zimmerman, Lannan,Wang and possible Strasburg? I like the Adam Kennedy pick up, Ryan Zimmerman looks like an all star in the making, Nyger Morgan for Milledge was a great trade and Matt Capps prior to 2009 was a very solid closer. Looks like they’re finally building something there.

32. Meat Loaf says:

Can someone explain to me why the likes of Chris Collinsworth is covering snowboarding at the Olympics?

33. ??? ????? says:

Greetings! I’ve been reading your web site for a long time now and finally got
    the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from
    Huffman Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the good job!