Feb

Who has options left?

At MLB Trade Rumors, Tim runs down his list of players who are out of options. My only issue is that it covers players not on the 40-man roster. The only way option status affects those players is if they make the team out of spring training, and then the team later wants to option the player. Since we’re not thinking quite that far ahead yet, we can just look at the 40-man and determine who has options and who does not. Remember, too, that a player who was added to the 25-man roster three years ago must clear waivers before being sent on an optional assignment.

For the Yankees, Tim lists Chad Gaudin and Sergio Mitre as optionless players. Edwar Ramirez also appears to be out of options, but he might have one left. The Yankees certainly used options in 2007 and 2009. In 2008 they optioned him to AAA Scranton to start the season, but recalled him on April 18, sent him down the next day, and recalled him for good on April 29. Boone Logan is another case to examine a bit further. The Yankees were granted a fourth option for Juan Miranda, so he can start the season in Scranton as well.

Categories : Asides

1. Stryker says:

speaking of edwar, i think the ship’s passed on this guy. why are the yankees keeping him around? at this point is it just for depth?

• Because there’s been no compelling reason to get rid of him. He’s probably the first guy gone from the 40-man if they need a spot.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

He’s a phenomenal cook. His duck L’orange is to die for.

• GG2000 says:

Swish: Well, I’m still in. Edwar, how about you?
      Edwar: Maybe I should fold.
      Swish: Well, let me see. Let me see first. No, not with a hand like that. Come on. Dare me. Go on, bluff me. Come on.
      Edwar: How much should I bet?
      Swish: If it were me, I’d bet everything. But that’s me. I’m an aggressive gambler. Mr. Vegas. Come on. Go for it. Go for it. Yes, yes, there we go. I’m in.
      Edwar: What do you got?
      Swish: Well, I got a full house. Three threes and two sixes, that’s a full house. What have you got?
      Edwar: Two fours, I got an ace.
      Swish: You got an ace, an eight and a seven. Well, you lose. If you would’ve had four fours, you would’ve won. You’re getting good. Starting to get the hang of it. Isn’t this fun? You’re pretty good for a first time, really.

2. Steve H says:

I still can’t get over Edwar’s minor league numbers from 05-07. He is the epitome of minor league stats lying? Is there any chance he would pass thru waivers (maybe he’s so frail no one would see him on the waiver wire?)? I’m sure Gaudin, Mitre and Logan (LHP) would get scooped up. I assume Edwar would as well, he’s cheap and has had MLB success.

3. If only Mitre still had options.

4. JPR says:

Edwar has stuff but no cohones when it really matters. It shows on his face when he does not have it….which makes him the worst poker player EVER. I’d rather see Swisher pitch again.

5. JPR says:

He is a Farnsworth type of inconsistent dude who should not be on any AL team…..maybe the padres or the Mets….they lost Putz and Heilmann….who do they have as a gameblower this year?It seems like the Mets are a sitcom….they could use him, it’ll give them more of a bad news bears thing they may lack.

6. [...] Vazquez: “My goal is still to play” / Who has options left? [...]