Mar

And down it goes…

Video after the jump…

Categories : Yankee Stadium

1. Souter Fell says:

So sad. For some reason, I can’t help but think of “About Schmidt.”

2. That might have just given me PTSD…okay, so I’m using hyperbole, but still. Hard to watch.

3. Mike, did you kidnap/kill/eat Ben and Joe?

The last 5 posts are all you…

4. The King is dead!

Long live the King!

5. rbizzler says:

Whoah, crazy.

Does anyone know when the commemorative demolition dust goes on sale?

6. BigBlueAL says:

By the title of this post I thought it was about Joba’s career as a starting pitcher. Sorry I had to, too easy to pass up :-)

7. thurdonpaul says:

I hope they gave the ghosts some warning before they dropped that section.

• dark side of the goon says:

The ghosts came over to the new Stadium last summer. Took them a while but they got there.

• gc says:

No, they moved over in 2008. They were too busy with moving into their new home across the street that they forgot to help the Yanks make the playoffs that year.

8. bexarama says:

;_;

Though when I saw the title “and down it goes” and saw that the video linked to CNN, I am not going to say what I thought this post referred to. Needless to say, this video, while upsetting, was actually sort of a relief.

9. Riddering says:

OYS wasn’t a fixture in my life like it was for some people ’round here so it’s easier for me to accept the new stadium. But that video is a stark image of what’s happening to the old place. Damn.

10. Rose says:

I wonder if they’ll find remnants of a Cy Young jersey buried underneath the stadium…

11. Rey22 says:

*Tear*

12. dark side of the goon says:

I won’t be satisfied until we win a championship at the new place. Oh. wait.

13. Chris says:

Maybe I’m the only one, but I don’t particularly miss the old stadium. The renovations in the seventies were substantial enough that it was basically a new stadium without much connection to the stadium that Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle and the other Yankee greats played in. Once you get past the history (or lack of it), the stadium itself was pretty run down and decrepit.

• Nady Nation says:

There was still a lot of history and incredible moments that unfolded from ’76-’08 though. Plus, I’m sure a lot of readers grew up with the Stadium, going to games with their friends and family and learning to love Yankee baseball, all of which contribute to making the demolition hard to swallow.

• Rose says:

Two of my posts didn’t go through for this one…weird.

• Slugger27 says:

im with you…. fond memories, but i think it was time to move on

/seinfeld’d

14. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

HEY…any of you guys in NYC want to saunter over there, reach through the fence and pick up something for me?

15. Andy_C_23 says:

STRONG MEN ALSO CRY. STRONG MEN ALSO CRY.

16. Jim Cavanaugh says:

Hard to watch it tumble down that way … that was the Left field upper deck area, right ? If so, that’s where i watched Scott Brosius’ home run sail right down in front of my eyes against Arizona in Game 5 the 2001 World Series. What a great place the old stadium was. The new stadium is great, no doubt. More spacious, lots of food options, a bar inside the stadium (thank you g-d !)etc. but there was something about the old ballpark the new one doesn’t capture. Anyways, the Yankees really did build the best building they possibly could and at least they won their first championship there in Season 1, so the building was opened under the right circumstances.